Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am No chance Portland does a Wig for CJ straight up. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
but my point about their logjam at SG and dearth of guys at SF has merit. how do they fully incorporate their young talent at SG when they are committed to a SG to the tune of $30M per year for the next 5 years - and that shooting guard is actually on the small side as far as PGs go? simons isn't going to play SF - he's like 6-4 175. trent's a little bigger - maybe 6-5 205 - but that's still a size mismatch at SF every night. those two are SGs with a lot of promise - and as long as CJ is riveted to the SG spot for the next 5 years, they are on the outs.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm
SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:13 pm I’ll admit that I laugh every time someone uses ESPN’s fantasy machine like its some infallible vault of up-to-date, on-the-nose information.
I should have double checked, but even the Twitter post said "next year", which served as some validation. Though they probably meant 'next season'. Again, my bad.
It’s not just this. Teague’s salary was off in that thing by a factor of 10 for how long? If they can’t keep simple shit up to date, are we supposed to believe they’re up to date on some of the more arcane clauses of the CBA?

It’s just a joke. I’d attempt to do the math myself rather than throw my trust in a program built by a corporate conglomerate meant to draw in rubes living in fantasyland.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24 pm
j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am No chance Portland does a Wig for CJ straight up. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
but my point about their logjam at SG and dearth of guys at SF has merit. how do they fully incorporate their young talent at SG when they are committed to a SG to the tune of $30M per year for the next 5 years - and that shooting guard is actually on the small side as far as PGs go? simons isn't going to play SF - he's like 6-4 175. trent's a little bigger - maybe 6-5 205 - but that's still a size mismatch at SF every night. those two are SGs with a lot of promise - and as long as CJ is riveted to the SG spot for the next 5 years, they are on the outs.
Their promise doesnt compare to CJ's reality, though. According to bbref Trent has logged 60% of his minutes at SF and Simmons has split his minutes backing up Dame and CJ.

Wolves would have to add a considerable amount to Wiggins to get CJ. And it's not like Wiggins is a great matchup at SF.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 pm
SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:13 pm I’ll admit that I laugh every time someone uses ESPN’s fantasy machine like its some infallible vault of up-to-date, on-the-nose information.
I should have double checked, but even the Twitter post said "next year", which served as some validation. Though they probably meant 'next season'. Again, my bad.
It’s not just this. Teague’s salary was off in that thing by a factor of 10 for how long? If they can’t keep simple shit up to date, are we supposed to believe they’re up to date on some of the more arcane clauses of the CBA?

It’s just a joke. I’d attempt to do the math myself rather than throw my trust in a program built by a corporate conglomerate meant to draw in rubes living in fantasyland.
Also according to the trade machine Towns has 0 years left on his contract.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:31 pm
Their promise doesnt compare to CJ's reality, though. According to bbref Trent has logged 60% of his minutes at SF and Simmons has split his minutes backing up Dame and CJ.

Wolves would have to add a considerable amount to Wiggins to get CJ. And it's not like Wiggins is a great matchup at SF.
it's still something i wish they would pursue. it does offer a way out of a little quandry that portland has. trent has played some SF, but is that his best spot? with wiggins, portland gets a player who replaces cj's points, who costs the same for the same number of years, plays the same questionable D - but is 4 years younger and plays not only a different position, but one that the blazers are currently short-handed at.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:32 pm

There are a TON of 0 years left across it. Also, extensions that don't show up, like Spencer Dinwidde. My bad. I was wrong. Pound for pound it is great with the mechanics of trades, but it has flaws and which they really seem disinterested in correcting. The Teauge thing was there for years and worse he was a candidate to be traded i.e. a player that would drive traffic to it.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm

it's still something i wish they would pursue. it does offer a way out of a little quandry that portland has. trent has played some SF, but is that his best spot? with wiggins, portland gets a player who replaces cj's points, who costs the same for the same number of years, plays the same questionable D - but is 4 years younger and plays not only a different position, but one that the blazers are currently short-handed at.
Is Trent someone they should be overly concerned about getting minutes, though? I'll be honest, I'm biased against him due to his high school days, maybe he's changed. And I think theres a difference between Wiggins's points and CJ's.

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 pm

There are a TON of 0 years left across it. Also, extensions that don't show up, like Spencer Dinwidde. My bad. I was wrong. Pound for pound it is great with the mechanics of trades, but it has flaws and which they really seem disinterested in correcting. The Teauge thing was there for years and worse he was a candidate to be traded i.e. a player that would drive traffic to it.
The only traffic they care about is what generates ad revenue.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Does it have ads? I use some ad blockers and script stoppers. I use websites and never know how bogged down they are.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Is Trent someone they should be overly concerned about getting minutes, though? I'll be honest, I'm biased against him due to his high school days, maybe he's changed. And I think theres a difference between Wiggins's points and CJ's.
he's showing flashes. led them to a victory the other day against the thunder with 30 pts. hitting 39% of his threes this year.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Does it have ads? I use some ad blockers and script stoppers. I use websites and never know how bogged down they are.
I haven’t been on that thing in a long, long time, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t. My overall point though was that it’s just a tool they can use to drive click-throughs to the rest of the site.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

I haven’t been on that thing in a long, long time, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t. My overall point though was that it’s just a tool they can use to drive click-throughs to the rest of the site.
Wouldn't surprise me ESPN is using early OUGHT logic, but I don't know how successful it is at using the rest of the site as a driver of traffic. 1. If you google it (+auto-fill) it brings you to the link real quick without entering the site and 2. Speed-dials have taken over which are easier and more practical than using favorites. Then again this could be why they don't want to invest in it. DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY!!!!!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm
j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 pm

What? I don't need to try again. It is a fact ESPN trade machine has him at two years remaining, it is a fact that seems to be wrong and I admitted that. Take the mea culpa and try not to be a dick.
Hey, you decided to be a dickbag in your initial reply despite not having a clue what you're talking about.
I wasn't trying to be a dickbag. I was addressing a point I thought was legitimate and needed to be mentioned for your edification, turns out I was the one that needed to be edified. That is all. Moreover I didn't read anything into you correcting me, I was wrong. I do have an issue with wanting to fight when I am willing to admit it. You know being a real dickbag.
Stop burying the lead! ...

What is a dickbag? :thinking:
Ketchup can be nuancy
T_J

Post by T_J »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:36 am
T_J wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm

I would do this trade:

Covington to Sixers for Mattisse Thybulle, a 2022 first round pick lottery protected, salary filler Mike Scott and Trey Burke.
Lol. Why would philly do that?
That would be the cost to acquire a player like Robert Covington. What would you request for him?
I think the pick or Thybulle and Scott. Both seems excessive imo.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:56 pm

That would be the cost to acquire a player like Robert Covington. What would you request for him?
No. Not in this market. You don't give up a player that is in the highest demand on one of the best contracts in the NBA for strictly a FRP or a modest prospect, you need both. Period. Otherwise he will bring in one or the other next year where variables may change and a different player may be in demand or an equal or more lucrative player is on the market. In other words Covington is going to get you SHIT!!!! In a good way!!!!

People are underselling what is going on.

The only way I can see us not dealing Covington is if we have a pre-conceived trade with a team that requires us to wait to next year where restrictions no-longer prevent the consummation of said deal. I am not sure how handshake deals work or if we want to take the risk, but common sense would dictate that if we don't trade him we have a deal in place with his value as it is now.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Really? First, you really have no understanding of how a trade in the NBA works. Scott plus at least another player, along with Thybulle, needs to be included since both teams are above the salary cap level.

Second, Scott is just salary filler. I'm certainly not trading Robert Covington, a quality role player on a good NBA contract, for just a late first round pick. Maybe you do that, but few people would. If Thybulle isn't in the deal then I would want two first round picks.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

If nothing else, this thread has shown me once again how terrible you all are at evaluating NBA talent.
Spoiler:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Really? First, you really have no understanding of how a trade in the NBA works. Scott plus at least another player, along with Thybulle, needs to be included since both teams are above the salary cap level.

Second, Scott is just salary filler. I'm certainly not trading Robert Covington, a quality role player on a good NBA contract, for just a late first round pick. Maybe you do that, but few people would. If Thybulle isn't in the deal then I would want two first round picks.
Not how it works Chief. There are restrictions placed on teams be it they are under the cap, apron or hard capped. You would only need to deal Thybulle and Scott to make a deal work between MN and PHI. I already addressed this. Way to ignore it and continue BS. We do agree on a level of valuation...there is that.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

TrueBlue wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm If nothing else, this thread has shown me once again how terrible you all are at evaluating NBA talent.
And that no one knows what a dickbag is.
Ketchup can be nuancy
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36 pm
Sally wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm If nothing else, this thread has shown me once again how terrible you all are at evaluating NBA talent.
Shut up. I think it is an old wooden ship.
j2j

Post by j2j »

TrueBlue wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm If nothing else, this thread has shown me once again how terrible you all are at evaluating NBA talent.
You mean we cant trade Napier for an unprotected 1st?

j2j

Post by j2j »

Sally wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm If nothing else, this thread has shown me once again how terrible you all are at evaluating NBA talent.
Dont ask why, but let's pretend you had a lot of dicks. Like 300 of them in your basement. And you needed to move them to another location. Are you going to carry them out 1 by 1? No, you're going to put them in a bag... It's exhausting explaining this basic common knowledge to you people.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... of/dickbag
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/dickbag#Noun

2nd link contains audio

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm
You mean we cant trade Napier for an unprotected 1st?
Yes We Can!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Not how it works Chief. There are restrictions placed on teams be it they are under the cap, apron or hard capped. You would only need to deal Thybulle and Scott to make a deal work between MN and PHI. I already addressed this. Way to ignore it and continue BS. We do agree on a level of valuation...there is that.
YOu are making a mountain out of a mole hill. YOu are right, Scott and Thybulle just barely makes the 100%+$5 million lower bound. Congratulations.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm
Dont ask why, but let's pretend you had a lot of dicks. Like 300 of them in your basement. And you needed to move them to another location. Are you going to carry them out 1 by 1? No, you're going to put them in a bag... It's exhausting explaining this basic common knowledge to you people.

2nd link contains audio
That is crap. It is an old wooden ship. The ship is named Please seperate words.

Link provided:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Wooden+ship+dickbag
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm

YOu are making a mountain out of a mole hill. YOu are right, Scott and Thybulle just barely makes the 100%+$5 million lower bound. Congratulations.
Then why correct someone if you know you are wrong? And be a DICK, no, DICKBAG and tell them they don't understand or know something?
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm

2nd link contains audio
Thank you. You've cleared things up nicely.
Ketchup can be nuancy
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Then why correct someone if you know you are wrong? And be a DICK, no, DICKBAG and tell them they don't understand or know something?
Because that person I "corrected" thought we could just get a first round pick and did not understand that additional salaries needed to be included.

My guess the Sixers would want to dump another player in that deal anyways, so there is also that.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Because that person I "corrected" thought we could just get a first round pick and did not understand that additional salaries needed to be included.

My guess the Sixers would want to dump another player in that deal anyways, so there is also that.
What excuse does that give you? None.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

What excuse does that give you? None.
Excuse for what, moron..... that off the top of my head I was about $1 million off on the salaries?