Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm

I would do this trade:

Covington to Sixers for Mattisse Thybulle, a 2022 first round pick lottery protected, salary filler Mike Scott and Trey Burke.
Just make it Thybulle, Scott and a FRP and I do it. Looking at tea leaves I could see PHI being the winners in getting Covington.
Well, you do realize that there needs to be salary filler, right?
LOL. My trade works. Scott is enough salary filler. Additionally, we only have ONE extra roster spot. Why do you need to fight everything?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=sa52whg
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Just make it Thybulle, Scott and a FRP and I do it. Looking at tea leaves I could see PHI being the winners in getting Covington.
LOL. My trade works. Scott is enough salary filler. Additionally, we only have ONE extra roster spot. Why do you need to fight everything?

What about Roco for Richardson and 2 second round picks? Richardson has one less year on his contract and is not as good at defense, but honestly, with Roco on the 76ers Richardson moves to the bench anyway. Roco is an upgrade to Richardson for Philly and we get 2 extra picks that we might be able to package later in trying to find a PG. Assuming Wiggins is part of that trade.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

winforlose wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 am

What about Roco for Richardson and 2 second round picks? Richardson has one less year on his contract and is not as good at defense, but honestly, with Roco on the 76ers Richardson moves to the bench anyway. Roco is an upgrade to Richardson for Philly and we get 2 extra picks that we might be able to package later in trying to find a PG. Assuming Wiggins is part of that trade.
I don't think they would swap Richardson for RoCo. I wouldn't. I sure wouldn't include twp 2nds. I also think it is more likely Horford moves to the bench (there are fit issues) than Richardson. Lastly, I would probably rather invest in Thybulle and a 1st with where this team is and wants to be in a couple of years.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:24 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm is the only logical destination for cov a contender? any chance cleveland might be interested in a straight cov for larry nance swap? don't laugh. nance is also a tough defender, very athletic, two years younger than cov, more a pure PF who rebounds better (per 36 of 10 whereas roco is about 7 per 36) AND they both are hitting about 35% from three this year. the reason i ask is because maybe the cavs could also be convinced to part with a second rounder, which will probably be in the 30s for the foreseeable future. love, thompson, zizic, henson- they've got some bigs - so maybe would be open to shoring up the 3 spot, currently occupied by cedi osman.
You’re a good poster.

Your scenario may be a little too creative.
I have always been a fan of nance. As long as we are apparently parting ways with roco, i was just thinking of guys id like in a wolves uni.
I think they’re trading Love, not Nance.
T_J

Post by T_J »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm is the only logical destination for cov a contender? any chance cleveland might be interested in a straight cov for larry nance swap? don't laugh. nance is also a tough defender, very athletic, two years younger than cov, more a pure PF who rebounds better (per 36 of 10 whereas roco is about 7 per 36) AND they both are hitting about 35% from three this year. the reason i ask is because maybe the cavs could also be convinced to part with a second rounder, which will probably be in the 30s for the foreseeable future. love, thompson, zizic, henson- they've got some bigs - so maybe would be open to shoring up the 3 spot, currently occupied by cedi osman.
You’re a good poster.

I would do this trade:

Covington to Sixers for Mattisse Thybulle, a 2022 first round pick lottery protected, salary filler Mike Scott and Trey Burke.
Lol. Why would philly do that?
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm Why does the name Caleb Swanigan sound familiar?

Purdue?
He must have lit up the Gophers pretty good.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'm intrigued by this deal...

Just a twitter idea, nothing legitimate. But RoCo and Gorgui for a couple of expirings and a FRP. Saves Portland money by reducing $5mil over the lux line, and adds a better defensive wing.

Wolves basically spend $5mil to get a FRP, and then cut future salary. Suddenly we have cap space for this summer to make trades MUCH easier, plus 2 FRPs.

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Portland would not do that. They’ll want to keep their pick, especially this year, because they such too.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:21 am Portland would not do that. They’ll want to keep their pick, especially this year, because they such too.
They are like MN in that FA don’t look to go to Portland. They have to trade or draft to get talent.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

T_J wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 am

You’re a good poster.

I would do this trade:

Lol. Why would philly do that?
That would be the cost to acquire a player like Robert Covington. What would you request for him?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:47 am I'm intrigued by this deal...

Just a twitter idea, nothing legitimate. But RoCo and Gorgui for a couple of expirings and a FRP. Saves Portland money by reducing $5mil over the lux line, and adds a better defensive wing.

Wolves basically spend $5mil to get a FRP, and then cut future salary. Suddenly we have cap space for this summer to make trades MUCH easier, plus 2 FRPs.
Covington is worth more than a FRP on his own, awful. Gourgi we can let expire and have the nearly same space or if we keep him we could move him for a first to a team that wants space in a stacked FA class. God I am glad he is not our GM. You maximize your assets.

Worth mentioning you are under the impression this gives us space this summer, it doesn't, it gives space NEXT year. Whiteside make 27 mil for the next two years, granted he has a player option I believe (he won't turn it down). All this does is create 5.3mil in space we otherwise would not have in 2021. Then again if you maximize Covington alone you likely get the same result plus a young player as well. It is just a stupid trade that basically gives away Covington.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:21 am Portland would not do that. They’ll want to keep their pick, especially this year, because they such too.
Portland would absolutely do this.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 am
Prove it.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 am
Prove it.
Because they would be foolish not to. Whiteside and Hood is not better than Covington and Dieng, they can make a run, then if they want to change course they can let Gourgi expire or take longer-term salary back and get a pick back and or trade Covington for a FRP. They get more value than they are giving. It is a no-brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

1. Whiteside >>> Dieng

2. Covington is nice on a two year deal but a top ten maybe five pick on less money and 2 more years is nice too. As someone maybe you said, Portland has trouble finding players. How did they get Lillard and McCollum? Smart drafting. That’s where their pick is going to be. You do not trade that potential for Cov, as good a player as he is. Cov is no McCollum or Lillard.

I’m telling you, that deal does not make sense for Portland.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:09 am 1. Whiteside >>> Dieng

2. Covington is nice on a two year deal but a top ten maybe five pick on less money and 2 more years is nice too. As someone maybe you said, Portland has trouble finding players. How did they get Lillard and McCollum? Smart drafting. That’s where their pick is going to be. You do not trade that potential for Cov, as good a player as he is. Cov is no McCollum or Lillard.

I’m telling you, that deal does not make sense for Portland.
It is 2020, get over your thoughts Whiteside is actually good or helpful to a team. No one wants him, he is from the island of misfit toys.

I addressed your pick value problem.

A more realistic trade would be swapping Hood for Little, I wish we could get Simions, that is unlikely.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

still say we should see if portland is interested in a straight andrew for cj swap.

why would this make sense for portland? they're already committed to similar money to mccollum for the same number of years - so it's not like they're taking on anything extra dollarswise. they just traded bazemore, hood's out with a torn achilles, and melo and ariza are both past retirement - so it would be in their best interests to get a player more capable of sizing up with opponents' SFs, like andrew can do. they are already undersized with their two PG tandem of lillard and cj. finally, they have two young players who are more logically SGs than SFs - anfernee simons and gary trent jr - who have both shown extremely nice flashes (trent a 30 pt game this week and simons a 37 pt game last april), and who should be getting more PT - but are both going to be on the brown end of that stick as long as lillard and mccollum command most of the PT in the backcourt. bringing in andrew as their starting SF (who for his career has averaged about a point more per game than CJ) allows them to cultivate this young SG talent in a steadier way.

why would minny do this? because cj can both play the point (which we need) AND get his own points (replacing the loss of wigs' offense). also opens up more PT for okogie, culver, layman, crabbe?, nowell and the rest of our wing group.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am still say we should see if portland is interested in a straight andrew for cj swap.

why would this make sense for portland? they're already committed to similar money to mccollum for the same number of years - so it's not like they're taking on anything extra dollarswise. they just traded bazemore, hood's out with a torn achilles, and melo can't last more than another year at the SF spot - so it would be in their best interests to get a player more capable of sizing up with opponents' SFs, like andrew can do. they are already undersized with their two PG tandem of lillard and cj. finally, they have two young players who are more logically SGs than SFs - anfernee simons and gary trent jr - who have both shown extremely nice flashes (trent a 30 pt game this week and simons a 37 pt game last april), and who should be getting more PT - but are both going to be on the brown end of that stick as long as lillard and mccollum command most of the PT in the backcourt. bringing in andrew as their starting SF (who for his career has averaged about a point more per game than CJ) allows them to cultivate this young SG talent in a steadier way.

why would minny do this? because cj can both play the point AND get his own points. also opens up more PT for okogie, culver, layman, nowell and the rest of our wing group.
Pass on CJ. What we don't want to do is try and middle.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what does try and middle mean?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 am what does try and middle mean?
Really? Okay. It is a common term.

It means you are aiming to be average.

In sports it means you are good enough to be average but too good to improve substantially on your standing.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am

Covington is worth more than a FRP on his own, awful. Gourgi we can let expire and have the nearly same space or if we keep him we could move him for a first to a team that wants space in a stacked FA class. God I am glad he is not our GM. You maximize your assets.

Worth mentioning you are under the impression this gives us space this summer, it doesn't, it gives space NEXT year. Whiteside make 27 mil for the next two years, granted he has a player option I believe (he won't turn it down)
. All this does is create 5.3mil in space we otherwise would not have in 2021. Then again if you maximize Covington alone you likely get the same result plus a young player as well. It is just a stupid trade that basically gives away Covington.
Sweet rant.

Should I buy your nonsense or bbref, sportrac, and hoopshype?

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

hadn't heard it before. sorry. i like a wiggins for mccollum swap because cj's got more fire in the belly than drew - which is something that could help the team. what would you expect to get in return for wiggins that lifts us out of the middle?
j2j

Post by j2j »

No chance Portland does a Wig for CJ straight up. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am

Worth mentioning you are under the impression this gives us space this summer, it doesn't, it gives space NEXT year. Whiteside make 27 mil for the next two years, granted he has a player option I believe (he won't turn it down)
. All this does is create 5.3mil in space we otherwise would not have in 2021. Then again if you maximize Covington alone you likely get the same result plus a young player as well. It is just a stupid trade that basically gives away Covington.
Sweet rant.

ESPN trade Machine has him at 2 years remaining. My bad if that is wrong (it seems to be). Still, having space this year is pointless, we want space next year. It doesn't add value to the trade that is for sure.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 am

Sweet rant.

ESPN trade Machine has him at 2 years remaining. My bad if that is wrong (it seems to be). Still, having space this year is pointless, we want space next year. It doesn't add value to the trade that is for sure.
Exercised 2019-20 player option Friday, June 21, 2019.
Signed 4-yr/$98M deal on Thursday, July 7, 2016.
Try again.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am

Sweet rant.

Try again.
What? I don't need to try again. It is a fact ESPN trade machine has him at two years remaining, it is a fact that seems to be wrong and I admitted that. Take the mea culpa and try not to be a dick. It is like pulling teeth to get people to admit they were wrong or misspoke on this board, then when someone says "opps I am wrong" people still want to fight. Don't.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Try again.
What? I don't need to try again. It is a fact ESPN trade machine has him at two years remaining, it is a fact that seems to be wrong and I admitted that. Take the mea culpa and try not to be a dick.
Hey, you decided to be a dickbag in your initial reply despite not having a clue what you're talking about.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Try again.
What? I don't need to try again. It is a fact ESPN trade machine has him at two years remaining, it is a fact that seems to be wrong and I admitted that. Take the mea culpa and try not to be a dick.
Hey, you decided to be a dickbag in your initial reply despite not having a clue what you're talking about.
I wasn't trying to be a dickbag. I was addressing a point I thought was legitimate and needed to be mentioned for your edification, turns out I was the one that needed to be edified. That is all. Moreover I didn't read anything into you correcting me, I was wrong. I do have an issue with wanting to fight when I am willing to admit it. You know being a real dickbag.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I’ll admit that I laugh every time someone uses ESPN’s fantasy machine like its some infallible vault of up-to-date, on-the-nose information.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:13 pm I’ll admit that I laugh every time someone uses ESPN’s fantasy machine like its some infallible vault of up-to-date, on-the-nose information.
I should have double checked, but even the Twitter post said "next year", which served as some validation. Though they probably meant 'next season'. Again, my bad.