Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

Post by somuchyummy »

TrueBlue wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 am
winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 am

Covington is going to be the best 3 and D player on the market, that makes him a star 3 and D player by I believe any definition of the term.

Rosas will not play him at his best position at which he is a star 3 and D player. Why in the hell would Rosas trade for another 3 and D star player that wouldn’t be as good or as cheap as Covington. That player would have to actually be a PF in that situation for it even to make any sense. But with that trade all he is doing is likely getting a player they traded away in Saric.......which should immediately lead to his termination.

I never want to read the term 3 and D here again as long as Rosas is the GM. It really has no place here after witnessing Covington not being played at his position for the likes of Graham and Martin, both “D” guys and never “3” guys. It shows Rosas places no value on players that would fall under that term.

As for the trades listed:

I immediately do 1 and 3. 2 is a GFY, unless KAT demands out behind the scenes.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
It’s funny, the term star gets used often, but honestly it really doesn’t apply more than half the time. Roco might be a great shooter, but he doesn’t demand the ball enough. KAT and Wig have been out together, and big shot bob hasn’t done enough to step up. Defensively, no question he is an all NBA contender, but offensively, he should be our 3rd best player, instead he ranges from 4-7 on any given night. A true star is someone who you can count on to takeover a game, especially when the team is short handed. Towns leaves the floor and our production drops. Wiggins is still in, but our scoring slows way down. Why, because Wiggins isn’t a star either. He is playing above average, but his skills prevent him from taking over a game. Wiggins is a good third best player if you want to contend. We need a 2nd star. I think it should be a PG. But, if you think the star PGs are either too expensive, or too unavailable (given what we want to trade,) then, your next best option is a better scoring version of Roco. Someone with a better handle who isn’t afraid to takeover the game. Will the defense suffer? Probably yes, but increased offense can compensate if the guy we get is a decent defender who gives you 20-25 points a night on efficient shooting and spaces the floor for KAT and Wig.
oh, so you want a superstar 2 way player.
i don't think he said superstar. he said star - someone who can score more than cov, and get his own baskets in ways that cov can't - and hopefully not suck on D. we've mentioned jrue holiday before. is jrue a superstar? no. is he a star. eh, i might give him that. and he does score more than cov, he can get his own baskets, and is actually an all-league Defensive team level player - and doing it from the PG position. and there's some smoke out there that he could be available. in short, the guy exists and is conceivably gettable.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm
Sally wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 am
winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am

It’s funny, the term star gets used often, but honestly it really doesn’t apply more than half the time. Roco might be a great shooter, but he doesn’t demand the ball enough. KAT and Wig have been out together, and big shot bob hasn’t done enough to step up. Defensively, no question he is an all NBA contender, but offensively, he should be our 3rd best player, instead he ranges from 4-7 on any given night. A true star is someone who you can count on to takeover a game, especially when the team is short handed. Towns leaves the floor and our production drops. Wiggins is still in, but our scoring slows way down. Why, because Wiggins isn’t a star either. He is playing above average, but his skills prevent him from taking over a game. Wiggins is a good third best player if you want to contend. We need a 2nd star. I think it should be a PG. But, if you think the star PGs are either too expensive, or too unavailable (given what we want to trade,) then, your next best option is a better scoring version of Roco. Someone with a better handle who isn’t afraid to takeover the game. Will the defense suffer? Probably yes, but increased offense can compensate if the guy we get is a decent defender who gives you 20-25 points a night on efficient shooting and spaces the floor for KAT and Wig.
oh, so you want a superstar 2 way player.
i don't think he said superstar. he said star - someone who can score more than cov, and get his own baskets in ways that cov can't - and hopefully not suck on D. we've mentioned jrue holiday before. is jrue a superstar? no. is he a star. eh, i might give him that. and he does score more than cov, he can get his own baskets, and is actually an all-league Defensive team level player - and doing it from the PG position. and there's some smoke out there that he could be available. in short, the guy exists and is conceivably gettable.
Jrue would be really really nice. Then draft a PG and let him get groomed under him.

GO GET HiM ROSAS!!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Nevermind.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

We arent giving up Wiggins and getting Russell without giving up a 1st.
Lol. While also taking back Porter and giving up Covington...c'mon. Not to mention Okogie.

I am not sure I would swap Wiggins for Porter or Covington for Russell. Both of those are debatable and are likely equally so in FOs across the NBA.
I am firmly not in the camp to dump Wiggins just to get DLO. I don’t see how that moves the needle here. The goal needs to be to add his talent to KAT and Wiggins and see how that goes.

Anything else is horseshit.

:huh: You do realize that Wiggins will never be a good NBA player, right? I think everyone here can agree that he's having a 'breakout' season this year, right? Well, his breakout season has him ranked around 150th in advanced plus/minus metrics, which makes him the 6-7 best player on an average team. If we can offload Wiggins' salary for a 6-pack of beer, I'm all for it. If we can bring in DLO and offload Wiggy in the same deal, that's a double win!!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Silversword wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:11 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am

Lol. While also taking back Porter and giving up Covington...c'mon. Not to mention Okogie.

I am not sure I would swap Wiggins for Porter or Covington for Russell. Both of those are debatable and are likely equally so in FOs across the NBA.
I am firmly not in the camp to dump Wiggins just to get DLO. I don’t see how that moves the needle here. The goal needs to be to add his talent to KAT and Wiggins and see how that goes.

Anything else is horseshit.

:huh: You do realize that Wiggins will never be a good NBA player, right? I think everyone here can agree that he's having a 'breakout' season this year, right? Well, his breakout season has him ranked around 150th in advanced plus/minus metrics, which makes him the 6-7 best player on an average team. If we can offload Wiggins' salary for a 6-pack of beer, I'm all for it. If we can bring in DLO and offload Wiggy in the same deal, that's a double win!!
The whole team is fucking worthless.

Should have gotten a PG in the off-season.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

how's this work for you?

chicago wants to get out of denzel valentine's contract - and he's out of the rotation. he'll be due about 4 and a half mil next year - not much, but more than they want to spend. chicago would be open to a matched salary player and a 2nd rounder - but i'd rather not give up the second rounder.

how does valentine for napier/graham sound? chicago gets two contracts that expire at the end of the year instead of the 2nd rounder.

from our part, everyone wants graham out of here so that's zero loss. napier has had some good moments - and that's another pull for chicago. but he's also had many less than good moments and i don't really see a future with him here. valentine gives us the immediate replacement for graham - but with a true career 3 pt shot around 38% - which on our team is nearly elite. he's also a good facilitator and passer, meaning he can give okay backup minutes at the point. thus replacing the loss of napier. and best of all, he's a pretty damn good defender - at least jimmy butler says so - and is able to guard the 1 thru 3 spots.

i like it also in that the two for one swap opens up potentially more PT for nowell.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 pm how's this work for you?

chicago wants to get out of denzel valentine's contract - and he's out of the rotation. he'll be due about 4 and a half mil next year - not much, but more than they want to spend. chicago would be open to a matched salary player and a 2nd rounder - but i'd rather not give up the second rounder.

how does valentine for napier/graham sound? chicago gets two contracts that expire at the end of the year instead of the 2nd rounder.

from our part, everyone wants graham out of here so that's zero loss. napier has had some good moments - and that's another pull for chicago. but he's also had many less than good moments and i don't really see a future with him here. valentine gives us the immediate replacement for graham - but with a true career 3 pt shot around 38% - which on our team is nearly elite. he's also a good facilitator and passer, meaning he can give okay backup minutes at the point. thus replacing the loss of napier. and best of all, he's a pretty damn good defender - at least jimmy butler says so - and is able to guard the 1 thru 3 spots.

i like it also in that the two for one swap opens up potentially more PT for nowell.
Pretty pointless. Plus if they have a full roster they may not be able to do a 2 for 1.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:11 am
T_J wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:06 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Who was the big Bennett zealot?

I remember someone was irrationally bonkers over him.
Thrill was a big fan.
Oh yeah that’s right.

Thank you.
He was definitely a huge fan of his.

There was also some random rube who created a handle with Bennett in his name. He went away pretty soon.

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:05 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:00 pm how's this work for you?

Pretty pointless. Plus if they have a full roster they may not be able to do a 2 for 1.
So you’d have...

Satoransky, Dunn, White, Napier, Harrison and Arcidiacono - 6 PG’s - on one side.

...and

Wiggins, Okogie, Culver, Valentine, Layman, Martin...on the other.

Talk about imbalance.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

sato and harrison both play the 1 thru 3. and white's a combo.

on our side, we already have six wings - just replace graham's name with valentine, but valentine can also give you minutes at the point - something graham couldn't do.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Blow it up.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 pm whenever i see the name "Anthony Bennett" now i can't help but think "Potato".
Whenever I hear his name, him sniffing a cheese curd always comes to my mind.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

T_J wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 pm
Teague+Dieng+Graham for John Wall. Can't shoot well, but he's fun to watch when he's healthy.
T_J

Post by T_J »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 am
Teague+Dieng+Graham for John Wall. Can't shoot well, but he's fun to watch when he's healthy.
Can't we get Wiggins out of here in a Wall deal somehow? I would do it immediately.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 am
Can't we get Wiggins out of here in a Wall deal somehow? I would do it immediately.
Wall's contract makes me puke. Can we just shuttle Wigs out for, like, Gordon Hayward instead?
T_J

Post by T_J »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:33 am

Wall's contract makes me puke. Can we just shuttle Wigs out for, like, Gordon Hayward instead?
Yeah it goes a year longer than I thought. Christ it's alot.

Wiggs for Hayward...Deal! But why would Boston do that?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

T_J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am

To tank.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am

They wouldn’t. I’ve just always liked the guy.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

No....they would want to rid themselves a long overpaid deal, not taking on another. That's why they might bite on something like the package I mentioned, it frees them up to take a stab in 2021 to add to Beal. Wall's contract makes it impossible for Washington to demand picks or even a high quality young piece. Dieng can play, Teague and Graham are cap relief this year, but it's really ridding themselves of his terrible deal they signed him to. He's not the style of PG you want unless you're adding more shooting, but when he's healthy, he's a lethal force. But because of his injury, because of his massive deal...I do think they'd want to move him.

Would we want to pay him....if he's healthy, he's a 20 and 9 guy...he's certainly not worth his deal, but if he stays healthy, he's a really good PG who can get buckets. Wall might be just like our Wiggins, they may just have to hold on to him because they trade market isn't hot enough for them. That being said, I know people hate on Wiggins....but in comparison to Wall, he's younger, he's not had a major injury and the motherfucker is putting up 23 and 5....and he makes millions less. This is all for fun of course, John Wall is not a good enough shooter IMO for him to even be a target, but Wiggins is putting in some pretty good work this year.
T_J

Post by T_J »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

No....they would want to rid themselves a long overpaid deal, not taking on another. That's why they might bite on something like the package I mentioned, it frees them up to take a stab in 2021 to add to Beal. Wall's contract makes it impossible for Washington to demand picks or even a high quality young piece. Dieng can play, Teague and Graham are cap relief this year, but it's really ridding themselves of his terrible deal they signed him to. He's not the style of PG you want unless you're adding more shooting, but when he's healthy, he's a lethal force. But because of his injury, because of his massive deal...I do think they'd want to move him.

Would we want to pay him....if he's healthy, he's a 20 and 9 guy...he's certainly not worth his deal, but if he stays healthy, he's a really good PG who can get buckets. Wall might be just like our Wiggins, they may just have to hold on to him because they trade market isn't hot enough for them. That being said, I know people hate on Wiggins....but in comparison to Wall, he's younger, he's not had a major injury and the motherfucker is putting up 23 and 5....and he makes millions less. This is all for fun of course, John Wall is not a good enough shooter IMO for him to even be a target, but Wiggins is putting in some pretty good work this year.
I think Wall has a friendly relationship with the coach and possibly the GM...just a side tid bit.

Wall and KAT, both Kentucky guys as well.

Smoke there's fire? Ha.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

T_J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I think Wall has a friendly relationship with the coach and possibly the GM...just a side tid bit.

Wall and KAT, both Kentucky guys as well.

Smoke there's fire? Ha.
I'm not saying it's not possible...I would just assume Rosas wants a PG who can shoot a bit better. He's still an elite scoring PG...he pushes the ball and does play some defense. When he's healthy, we could absolutely use him....he's a massive upgrade, but that's a heavy pill to swallow and certainly a risk considering his injury he's coming back from. But as I said, that's why Washington can't ask a lot for him. They need him to play lights out or they to move him so they can be players in the next two offseasons. If they don't move him, it's MLE and vet mins for them the the next three years. Do they take another stab at it with Beal in his prime or do they move on? I think the latter is the most wise, but if they can't get anything decent, they just might have to hold him for a year or two and he can prove he's worth it.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Robert Covington Trade Talks Pick Up With Rockets, Mavs, 76ers Interested
T_J

Post by T_J »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i still say the trade that makes sense for both teams is wigs for jrue.

for the pels, wigs at 24 fits their timeline better than holiday, wigs replaces holiday's scoring in their lineup, and completely hands the reins over to lonzo to be their primary PG. they want a backup - there'll be plenty PGs to choose from in the lottery this year (anthony, mannion, etc). in the meantime, etwaun moore, NAW and frank jackson can split the sub minutes.

from our end, we get a two way vet PG who, at 29, fits our timeline better. KAT's going to want to see the light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later. it's got to sting him that the best years of his nba career are being wasted. our window is 3, not 7 years. holiday replaces the loss of wiggins' points in the lineup, greatly improves our D, and can serve as a mentor in case we also go with a PG with our first pick - which we should (haliburton). wigs' departure also frees up minutes at the currently logjammed wing spot - so PT for culver, roco, okogie, layman, crabbe, martin - (any of that bunch who are still on the team next year) makes more sense.

this trade IMO makes sense for both squads.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

They already have a better Wiggins in Ingram.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just saying what i'd like to see. and you're right about wigs and ingram having similarities - but that's not always a deal breaker. plenty of teams have starters with similarities.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

If New Orleans dumped Holiday, they'd be better off starting Redick in there for the time being than taking on Wigs.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm If New Orleans dumped Holiday, they'd be better off starting Redick in there for the time being than taking on Wigs.
The rumor is they may view themselves as buyers not sellers.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm If New Orleans dumped Holiday, they'd be better off starting Redick in there for the time being than taking on Wigs.
The rumor is they may view themselves as buyers not sellers.
Even so, I just don't see someone like Wigs as the type they'd be shooting for.