Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

Post by memyworld »

Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

They'd never do it but I'd try to get involved. Hawks want to win now and to add shooters around Drummond? Send RoCo and Okogie for DeAndre Hunter.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Trade machine:

Wiggins and Okogie to Chicago
Porter and Russell to Minny
Covington, Teague, Bell to GS.
Corre Ricky Corre

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm Trade machine:

We would have to give up some 1sts...
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:06 pm

Huh? Why?
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

memyworld, thanks for sharing, I’m especially impressed w/ the CBS link - they did a nice job of compressing the key data/takeaways. I also like their categories.

I have varied interested in Bogdanovic, Gordon, Powell, Schroder, Beasley, Valentine, & Trier.
Corre Ricky Corre

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Huh? Why?
We arent giving up Wiggins and getting Russell without giving up a 1st.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Huh? Why?
Then fuck Russell and fuck GSW. Both have huge contract and have done shit. Plus Russell has a problem child history Wiggins doesn’t.

Don’t really want Russell without Wiggins here, the goal should be to add his talent to KAT and Wiggins.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Huh? Why?
Lol. While also taking back Porter and giving up Covington...c'mon. Not to mention Okogie.

I am not sure I would swap Wiggins for Porter or Covington for Russell. Both of those are debatable and are likely equally so in FOs across the NBA.
Corre Ricky Corre

If Covington for Russell was equal, we would have done the deal by now.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:42 am If Covington for Russell was equal, we would have done the deal by now.
You are ignoring many variables including salary matching and the Warriors being hard capped. Additionally, that each team may value their own player more. We don't know what the story is or what each team may want, what we do have a good estimation of is Covington is a valued commodity and personal preference or situational need of a him or player like Russell is just that. MN is not going to give up Covington PLUS for Russell, they will just go to the next of many teams that want him and get Russell like value back.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Curry
Thompson
Covington
Green
WCS

I think GS would kind of love that lineup.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am
Huh? Why?
Lol. While also taking back Porter and giving up Covington...c'mon. Not to mention Okogie.

I am not sure I would swap Wiggins for Porter or Covington for Russell. Both of those are debatable and are likely equally so in FOs across the NBA.
I am firmly not in the camp to dump Wiggins just to get DLO. I don’t see how that moves the needle here. The goal needs to be to add his talent to KAT and Wiggins and see how that goes.

Anything else is horseshit.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Corre Ricky Corre

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:30 am
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:42 am If Covington for Russell was equal, we would have done the deal by now.
You are ignoring many variables including salary matching and the Warriors being hard capped. Additionally, that each team may value their own player more. We don't know what the story is or what each team may want, what we do have a good estimation of is Covington is a valued commodity and personal preference or situational need of a him or player like Russell is just that. MN is not going to give up Covington PLUS for Russell, they will just go to the next of many teams that want him and get Russell like value back.
If it was that easy, we could easily find a way to do a Covington/Teague for Russell deal and match salaries.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:55 am Curry
Thompson
Covington
Green
WCS

Iggy costs them no assets.

If I had a redundancy I’d rather have the more talented one with Russell vs the one at SF with Cov and Iggy (because they will sign Iggy).
j2j

Post by j2j »

thinktank wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 am
Thompson
Covington
Green
WCS

If I had a redundancy I’d rather have the more talented one with Russell vs the one at SF with Cov and Iggy (because they will sign Iggy).
They'll also have a top 3 pick to add to that roster.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

thinktank wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:31 am
Thompson
Covington
Green
WCS

I dont think Iggy ends up in GS.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

How old is Iggy?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:13 pm How old is Iggy?
Young enough.

He’ll have had a whole season to get himself in top shape too.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

iggy is 35. he turns 36 at the end of the month.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Proposed deal on Bleacher Report: KAT for Crabbe, Huerter, Reddish, John Collins and firsts in 20 and 22.

In a fucking heartbeat.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that's an interesting one. two firsts plus crabbe's $18.5M off the books at the end of the year. collins, reddish and huerter. hmmmm. deal, but only if we get to throw in graham.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

These are fun:

https://dawindycity.com/2020/01/04/chic ... rwolves/2/

3 trades:

1. LaVine and Satoransky for Teague and Covington

2. LaVine, Wendell Carter, Denzel Valentine, 2 First Round Picks for KAT

3. Markkanen, Dunn, Valentine for Covington and Future 1st Round Pick.

They have the reasoning on each trade in the article on dawindycity.com
Last edited by jodaman01 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i got nothing on your link. what's the gist?
Ooogabooga

Post by Ooogabooga »

The goal should be to get neutral value on Wiggins since positive value is doubtful. Pickup outside shooters or take back contracts to get draft picks and position ourselves for 2022. Part of what cost New Orleans to fail is that they tried piecemealing rosters together for Davis. One thing I wouldn't do is take in D'lo with the exception that we can offload Wiggins at the same time somehow. But I wouldn't just trade positive assets like COVO as any deal for him. Golden State for all intents and purposes is handcuffed roster wise. DLO was likely never going to be on there roster long term. So we don't need to overpay on him at all. They just saw an chance to get future assets which they will get but we don't need to overpay since they are going to be handcuffed and will have very few options on how to trade him too given his salary. We for example could offer them Teague, Culver or a protected first for DLO. And I don't think they will have that many bidders for his contract as an example. Because remember, Golden State has hardcap issues and keeping DLO really hurts there flexibility next year since he won't work well with Curry/Thompson.
Ooogabooga

Post by Ooogabooga »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:29 pm These are fun:

3 trades:

Trade 1 I like. We are worse defensively by a ton. But Lavine solves 2 problems. He can drive and he can shoot which we sorely need right now.

Trade 2. Not this year or next

Trade 3. Tempting also but I wouldn't give a first rounder up.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Ooogabooga wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:10 am

3 trades:

Trade 1 I like. We are worse defensively by a ton. But Lavine solves 2 problems. He can drive and he can shoot which we sorely need right now.

Lavine is pure shooting with nothing else. His contract is at least 10 million dollars above his value (at least) and he has no place on any team that is contending. Otto Porter Jr. is the only bull that interests me, and I don’t think that the bulls will give him up for Roco, Teague, and a first. Lauri is having an awful year, and with Naz and the resurgence of G we are good. We need either a star PG or a star 3 and D.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:46 am

3 trades:

Lavine is pure shooting with nothing else. His contract is at least 10 million dollars above his value (at least) and he has no place on any team that is contending. Otto Porter Jr. is the only bull that interests me, and I don’t think that the bulls will give him up for Roco, Teague, and a first. Lauri is having an awful year, and with Naz and the resurgence of G we are good. We need either a star PG or a star 3 and D.
Covington is going to be the best 3 and D player on the market, that makes him a star 3 and D player by I believe any definition of the term.

Rosas will not play him at his best position at which he is a star 3 and D player. Why in the hell would Rosas trade for another 3 and D star player that wouldn’t be as good or as cheap as Covington. That player would have to actually be a PF in that situation for it even to make any sense. But with that trade all he is doing is likely getting a player they traded away in Saric.......which should immediately lead to his termination.

I never want to read the term 3 and D here again as long as Rosas is the GM. It really has no place here after witnessing Covington not being played at his position for the likes of Graham and Martin, both “D” guys and never “3” guys. It shows Rosas places no value on players that would fall under that term.

As for the trades listed:

I immediately do 1 and 3. 2 is a GFY, unless KAT demands out behind the scenes.

winforlose

Post by winforlose »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 am
winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:46 am

Covington is going to be the best 3 and D player on the market, that makes him a star 3 and D player by I believe any definition of the term.

Rosas will not play him at his best position at which he is a star 3 and D player. Why in the hell would Rosas trade for another 3 and D star player that wouldn’t be as good or as cheap as Covington. That player would have to actually be a PF in that situation for it even to make any sense. But with that trade all he is doing is likely getting a player they traded away in Saric.......which should immediately lead to his termination.

I never want to read the term 3 and D here again as long as Rosas is the GM. It really has no place here after witnessing Covington not being played at his position for the likes of Graham and Martin, both “D” guys and never “3” guys. It shows Rosas places no value on players that would fall under that term.

As for the trades listed:

I immediately do 1 and 3. 2 is a GFY, unless KAT demands out behind the scenes.

It’s funny, the term star gets used often, but honestly it really doesn’t apply more than half the time. Roco might be a great shooter, but he doesn’t demand the ball enough. KAT and Wig have been out together, and big shot bob hasn’t done enough to step up. Defensively, no question he is an all NBA contender, but offensively, he should be our 3rd best player, instead he ranges from 4-7 on any given night. A true star is someone who you can count on to takeover a game, especially when the team is short handed. Towns leaves the floor and our production drops. Wiggins is still in, but our scoring slows way down. Why, because Wiggins isn’t a star either. He is playing above average, but his skills prevent him from taking over a game. Wiggins is a good third best player if you want to contend. We need a 2nd star. I think it should be a PG. But, if you think the star PGs are either too expensive, or too unavailable (given what we want to trade,) then, your next best option is a better scoring version of Roco. Someone with a better handle who isn’t afraid to takeover the game. Will the defense suffer? Probably yes, but increased offense can compensate if the guy we get is a decent defender who gives you 20-25 points a night on efficient shooting and spaces the floor for KAT and Wig.