Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Chatter (Feb. 6 @ 2:00 PM CST)

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm If New Orleans dumped Holiday, they'd be better off starting Redick in there for the time being than taking on Wigs.
The rumor is they may view themselves as buyers not sellers.
Even so, I just don't see someone like Wigs as the type they'd be shooting for.
Nope he would not be. The point I am making is they are looking for players who can help. They might even be a dark-horse in the Covington sweepstakes.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm i still say the trade that makes sense for both teams is wigs for jrue.

for the pels, wigs at 24 fits their timeline better than holiday, wigs replaces holiday's scoring in their lineup, and completely hands the reins over to lonzo to be their primary PG. they want a backup - there'll be plenty PGs to choose from in the lottery this year (anthony, mannion, etc). in the meantime, etwaun moore, NAW and frank jackson can split the sub minutes.

from our end, we get a two way vet PG who, at 29, fits our timeline better. KAT's going to want to see the light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later. it's got to sting him that the best years of his nba career are being wasted. our window is 3, not 7 years. holiday replaces the loss of wiggins' points in the lineup, greatly improves our D, and can serve as a mentor in case we also go with a PG with our first pick - which we should (haliburton). wigs' departure also frees up minutes at the currently logjammed wing spot - so PT for culver, roco, okogie, layman, crabbe, martin - (any of that bunch who are still on the team next year) makes more sense.

this trade IMO makes sense for both squads.
I'm not buying the "timeline" narrative. 29 (30 in June) fits KAT's timeline? I think 25 does. This TEAM has a ways to go yet before everything starts to click and in a few years Jrue is on the downside and being paid too much. I'll pass.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Wait when did we trade Teague???

I like crabbe so this could be good?
Spoiler:
T_J

Post by T_J »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 pm just saying what i'd like to see. and you're right about wigs and ingram having similarities - but that's not always a deal breaker. plenty of teams have starters with similarities.
I think that'd have to be a 3 way deal. I just don't see why NO would want Wiggins.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

TrueBlue wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 am Wait when did we trade Teague???

I like crabbe so this could be good?
It's kind of been the only worthwhile NBA trade news thus far, which is kind of sad. We do have Crabbe's bird rights, and even though he's having a down year, we could very much use his shooting this season and beyond. He's not worth his current contract, but I'd like to think he gets a test run here to play for a smaller multi year deal. He has familiarity with our coaching staff, but like I said, his biggest asset is his ability to shoot...something this team needs a few guys who can do that. If he showed out and Layman ever comes back, we've got two worthwhile shooters on the bench. But if this deal does lead to landing a scoring PG like Dlo, then we've bolstered our shooting even more. As of right now though, I think this is a test run for Crabbe and most likely a precursor for us doing another deal involving Covington.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

If we insist on shooting a lot of 3’s, let’s target more established shooters.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sounds like Houston is out regarding Covington which actually might be a good sign they it probably means they know that they don't have the assets to pull off a trade for him.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
j2j

Post by j2j »

I hate Houston, but RoCo would be such a great fit for them. Shame they cant ever find a player just like Lord Robert Covington III.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

T_J wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:00 am
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 pm just saying what i'd like to see. and you're right about wigs and ingram having similarities - but that's not always a deal breaker. plenty of teams have starters with similarities.
I think that'd have to be a 3 way deal. I just don't see why NO would want Wiggins.
just throwing stuff out there. you look at their roster - and it's so young, they won't be in the hunt for at least a few years. in the meantime, they'll have an older holiday on contract for around $26M per year thru 21-22. swapping him for wigs gives them a younger player who will finally be in his best spot - as a third scorer - not a #1 or #2 option - plus it gives the car keys entirely to ball at the PG spot. etwaun moore is finishing out his contract this year, he'll be gone - and word is that they are also dangling redick for a trade. they might be looking soon to add another pure wing. wigs isn't the three ball guy like redick is - but ingram has come on nicely in that role (41% this season) - and you can't leave ball alone either (36% this year from three). idk - this starting five looks promising to me into the future:

ball
wiggins
ingram
zion
hayes

from our end, i think a 3 year window with holiday still very viable fits KAT's timeline better than waiting for a younger point to get it. and i don't get where rubes are saying that holiday's play has slipped. this year, he's 20 ppg on 48%/34%/71% with 5 rpg, 6.5 apg, 1.7 spg and .7bpg. still one of the best defending points in the league. this is slippage?

final note: the pels have zion, hayes and NAW all signed on sweet deals thru 23-24. wigs' contract expires the year before that.

i get it. some other team could probably offer up a better deal. but it wouldn't hurt to make a call. for the record, IMO holiday would be a better get for this team than lowry, westbrook, or DLO. the only PG coming into free agency i like more than jrue is FVV.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 am Sounds like Houston is out regarding Covington which actually might be a good sign they it probably means they know that they don't have the assets to pull off a trade for him.
Houston is kind of like NY fans sometimes, they think they can just get whatever they want. It was known Houston has wanted him since the summer, but they don't have the pieces to do it....they, for better or worse, are a finished product. They aren't going to get any better than they are....and with Westy, you can't do a full rebuild anyhow. They are a good team, but them adding anything to make them better seems impossible at this point.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 am Sounds like Houston is out regarding Covington which actually might be a good sign they it probably means they know that they don't have the assets to pull off a trade for him.
Houston is kind of like NY fans sometimes, they think they can just get whatever they want. It was known Houston has wanted him since the summer, but they don't have the pieces to do it....they, for better or worse, are a finished product. They aren't going to get any better than they are....and with Westy, you can't do a full rebuild anyhow. They are a good team, but them adding anything to make them better seems impossible at this point.
The funny thing is that it's been framed as Houston is no longer interested in acquiring RoCo :lol:

Very nice spin by the media

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am
digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 am
The funny thing is that it's been framed as Houston is no longer interested in acquiring RoCo :lol:

Very nice spin by the media
That's what all teams do. Was laughing in a previous thread about Hou being interested. I'm interested in a brand new truck. I have an old piece of shit to trade in and 50 bucks to add. Umm.........actually I'm no longer interested. My decision.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

ricky o'donnell's piece for SBNation today lays out a GSW/MN swap that doesn't include a draft pick. DLo for cov/okogie/dieng. trade machine says it works.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:18 pm ricky o'donnell's piece for SBNation today lays out a GSW/MN swap that doesn't include a draft pick. DLo for cov/okogie/dieng. trade machine says it works.
So basically they took my idea....nice. Oke is Iggy lite for them, Roco and Dieng are role playing starters next to the best backcourt in history. It's pretty clear to me.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm They already have a better Wiggins in Ingram.
Ingram is roughly 36.2x better then Wiggins.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:24 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:18 pm ricky o'donnell's piece for SBNation today lays out a GSW/MN swap that doesn't include a draft pick. DLo for cov/okogie/dieng. trade machine says it works.
So basically they took my idea....nice. Oke is Iggy lite for them, Roco and Dieng are role playing starters next to the best backcourt in history. It's pretty clear to me.
It doesn't work in the trade machine. GS is hard capped. To make that deal work BOTH Evans and GRIII need to be included...just saying.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm
It doesn't work in the trade machine. GS is hard capped. To make that deal work BOTH Evans and GRIII need to be included...just saying.
what trade machine were you working? RealGM trade checker gave me a "congratulations on a successful trade!"
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm

what trade machine were you working? RealGM trade checker gave me a "congratulations on a successful trade!"
The GSW are bringing in about 2.7 mil more than they can. RealGM is wrong. GS is hard capped.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

3rd teams needs to get involved.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

didn't open for me - but i assume it details the bazemore/tolly for ariza/gabriel/swanigan deal. i haven't seen how the money falls out in the longterm, but sure looks like the kings got the better talent out of it.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Sorry, here's a screenshot of the important part of the story

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

is the only logical destination for cov a contender? any chance cleveland might be interested in a straight cov for larry nance swap? don't laugh. nance is also a tough defender, very athletic, two years younger than cov, more a pure PF who rebounds better (per 36 of 10 whereas roco is about 7 per 36) AND they both are hitting about 35% from three this year. the reason i ask is because maybe the cavs could also be convinced to part with a second rounder, which will probably be in the 30s for the foreseeable future. love, thompson, zizic, henson- they've got some bigs - so maybe would be open to shoring up the 3 spot, currently occupied by cedi osman.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Why does the name Caleb Swanigan sound familiar?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm is the only logical destination for cov a contender? any chance cleveland might be interested in a straight cov for larry nance swap? don't laugh. nance is also a tough defender, very athletic, two years younger than cov, more a pure PF who rebounds better (per 36 of 10 whereas roco is about 7 per 36) AND they both are hitting about 35% from three this year. the reason i ask is because maybe the cavs could also be convinced to part with a second rounder, which will probably be in the 30s for the foreseeable future. love, thompson, zizic, henson- they've got some bigs - so maybe would be open to shoring up the 3 spot, currently occupied by cedi osman.
You’re a good poster.

Your scenario may be a little too creative.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm Why does the name Caleb Swanigan sound familiar?

Purdue?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm is the only logical destination for cov a contender? any chance cleveland might be interested in a straight cov for larry nance swap? don't laugh. nance is also a tough defender, very athletic, two years younger than cov, more a pure PF who rebounds better (per 36 of 10 whereas roco is about 7 per 36) AND they both are hitting about 35% from three this year. the reason i ask is because maybe the cavs could also be convinced to part with a second rounder, which will probably be in the 30s for the foreseeable future. love, thompson, zizic, henson- they've got some bigs - so maybe would be open to shoring up the 3 spot, currently occupied by cedi osman.
You’re a good poster.

I have always been a fan of nance. As long as we are apparently parting ways with roco, i was just thinking of guys id like in a wolves uni.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

You’re a good poster.

I would do this trade:

Covington to Sixers for Mattisse Thybulle, a 2022 first round pick lottery protected, salary filler Mike Scott and Trey Burke.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm
You’re a good poster.

I would do this trade:

Covington to Sixers for Mattisse Thybulle, a 2022 first round pick lottery protected, salary filler Mike Scott and Trey Burke.
Just make it Thybulle, Scott and a FRP and I do it. Looking at tea leaves I could see PHI being the winners in getting Covington.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm

You’re a good poster.

I would do this trade:

Just make it Thybulle, Scott and a FRP and I do it. Looking at tea leaves I could see PHI being the winners in getting Covington.
Well, you do realize that there needs to be salary filler, right?