Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
witljon

Re: Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 am When you are a top 6 pick and your being touted for "Work ethic", you ain't that good.

We have another one of these guys in Okogie.

I think this fan base has become enamored with guys who actually give a shit no matter how little talent they have after having to watch Love, Towns and Wiggins as their franchise stars over the years.
I believe the Culver kid has more talent that you are giving him credit for.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 am When you are a top 6 pick and your being touted for "Work ethic", you ain't that good.

I think this fan base has become enamored with guys who actually give a shit no matter how little talent they have after having to watch Love, Towns and Wiggins as their franchise stars over the years.
I loved the pick at the time but after watching him, he looks like a serviceable role player at best.

Clarke would have been a much better pick and they didn't have to give up anything to get him.

One of the reasons I don't like Culver is he doesn't fit here at all. His style of play isn't what Rosas wants. They also just traded for a SG and are already prepared to put him on the bench or play him out of position.

Completely asinine for a #6 pick.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am
witljon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 am

I loved the pick at the time but after watching him, he looks like a serviceable role player at best.

Clarke would have been a much better pick and they didn't have to give up anything to get him.

One of the reasons I don't like Culver is he doesn't fit here at all. His style of play isn't what Rosas wants. They also just traded for a SG and are already prepared to put him on the bench or play him out of position.

Completely asinine for a #6 pick.
I just can’t get excited about this kid.....now somuch and thrill are offering takes on the guy to pump him up by essentially reducing his role and setting low starter expectations as a defensive bulldog who will have to find scraps on offense from KAT, DLO and Beasley - those takes seem realistic. Was that really what he was drafted a #6 for though?

I highly doubt it, but that seems to be where the Wolves are at with him. He ain’t worth crap in a trade right now, so he will be here next season and having him fight for a job with Okogie and others is not what I believe any of us hoped for.

He’s a good kid, probably excited as a kid on Christmas because he gets finally go back to church soon. Maybe things will work out for the best here.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Start Culver next to DLo to guard the better opposing guard every night.

Bring Beasley as the 6th man like Eric Gordon/Lou Williams role. Instant offense and high volume shooting.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Bring Beasley as the 6th man like Eric Gordon/Lou Williams role. Instant offense and high volume shooting.
Culver hasn't shown he is such a great defender yet where i would be starting him over Beasley. He's a complete liability on the other end of the floor as well.

If I needed just defense, I'm giving Okogie the nod.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:21 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Culver hasn't shown he is such a great defender yet where i would be starting him over Beasley. He's a complete liability on the other end of the floor as well.

If I needed just defense, I'm giving Okogie the nod.
Okogie too little bro. He’s better off the bench as a high energy defender. His offense is even worse than Culver’s.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think there's too much fixation on culver being a 6 pick. yes, we should have taken clarke - but we didn't - so what can we have with culver? top lotto picks certainly don't all turn out to be stars - some don't turn out to be anything - but many just turn out to be decent players who can help your team. did atlanta think they were getting a star with deandre hunter at 4? probably not. NO with jaxson hayes at 8? the wizards with hachimura at 9? i would bet not. as that draft played out, there were more okay players than potential stars - so you take what you can get and work with that player to be the best piece for your team.

at this point, i do think culver will be a better player than okogie - and that okogie will be best suited off the bench as an energy defender. culver is a better ballhandler, plays more under control and makes far fewer boneheaded decisions - and for all his struggles as a shooter - as a rookie, he still finished the season 4% higher from three than josh has managed in two seasons - plus had a strong finish to the season in that area. i'm not expecting much out of okogie in that regard - on the other hand, i think there's hope still that culver can be a mid-30s% threat from deep - enough to keep people honest. and defensively, if culver can put on some weight and strength, he's a better option to defend both wing spots than okogie - who despite his reach, will always be an undersized 6-4 wing.

let's not always hang our hat on the post that says "if a lottery pick isn't a superstar, it's a failed pick". i don't buy that.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 pm i think there's too much fixation on culver being a 6 pick. yes, we should have taken clarke - but we didn't - so what can we have with culver? top lotto picks certainly don't all turn out to be stars - some don't turn out to be anything - but many just turn out to be decent players who can help your team. diwd atlanta think they were getting a star with deandre hunter at 4? probably not. NO with jaxson hayes at 8? the wizards with hachimura at 9? i would bet not. as that draft played out, there were more okay players than potential stars - so you take what you can get and work with that player to be the best piece for your team.

at this point, i do think culver will be a better player than okogie - and that okogie will be best suited off the bench as an energy defender. culver is a better ballhandler, plays more under control and makes far fewer boneheaded decisions - and for all his struggles as a shooter - as a rookie, he still finished the season 4% higher from three than josh has managed in two seasons - plus had a strong finish to the season in that area. i'm not expecting much out of okogie in that regard - on the other hand, i think there's hope still that culver can be a mid-30s% threat from deep - enough to keep people honest. and defensively, if culver can put on some weight and strength, he's a better option to defend both wing spots than okogie - who despite his reach, will always be an undersized 6-4 wing.

let's not always hang our hat on the post that says "if a lottery pick isn't a superstar, it's a failed pick". i don't buy that.
A top lottery pick doesn't need to be a "Superstar" for it to be a success. He does however need to turn into a surefire starter on your squad. Especially when your team sucks ass.

I don't see Culver as any of that. He couldn't even make significant noise on this lowly roster when the season started.

I'm not saying he can't be good and i have said i liked the pick at the time but nothing i have seen early makes me believe he's going to turn into a stud.

Doesn't help we have the Saunders boys either. Has no business being a HC. It's a joke.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

There's a lot of young players who start out in the pros slow, but turn out pretty good.
I don't think Jaylen Brown, Buddy Hield, Josh Richardson, Marcus Smart, and others did much better their rookie year.
Its too early to give up on the kid, but because of past Wolves busts, I do understand some fans thinking.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

as a number two overall pick, brandon ingram looked like absolute donkey crap his first year in the league - on a 17-65 lakers squad. 9ppg/4rpg/2apg on 29% from three plus horrible defense. way too early to think the book's been written on culver.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Culver was having a solid month of March:

- 10.8 ppg
- 52.9% from the field
- 42.1% from three on 3.2 attempts per game
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:27 am as a number two overall pick, brandon ingram looked like absolute donkey crap his first year in the league - on a 17-65 lakers squad. 9ppg/4rpg/2apg on 29% from three plus horrible defense. way too early to think the book's been written on culver.
Ingram is a good example. You could also argue D-Lo as a number two overall pick took awhile to really get going. Gary Payton and Chauncey Billups are two other top picks that weren't lighting it up right away. Not saying Culver is going to be anywhere near those guy's level, but he's far from a finished product.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:27 am as a number two overall pick, brandon ingram looked like absolute donkey crap his first year in the league - on a 17-65 lakers squad. 9ppg/4rpg/2apg on 29% from three plus horrible defense. way too early to think the book's been written on culver.
Ingram is a good example. You could also argue D-Lo as a number two overall pick took awhile to really get going. Gary Payton and Chauncey Billups are two other top picks that weren't lighting it up right away. Not saying Culver is going to be anywhere near those guy's level, but he's far from a finished product.
Not saying this is the case, but these types of “well look at so and so and so and so” to offer hopeful comparisons get a bit irritating.

The fact is for every Ingram, DLO, Payton, Billups and whoever...there are countless more players that actually put up lackluster #’s early in their careers and ended up remaining lackluster for their careers.

Maybe Culver is like one of the “mold breakers” listed above....we can hope, but realistically the odds are heavily in favor of that not being the case.

We’ll see.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:10 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 pm
Not saying this is the case, but these types of “well look at so and so and so and so” to offer hopeful comparisons get a bit irritating.

The fact is for every Ingram, DLO, Payton, Billups and whoever...there are countless more players that actually put up lackluster #’s early in their careers and ended up remaining lackluster for their careers.

Maybe Culver is like one of the “mold breakers” listed above....we can hope, but realistically the odds are heavily in favor of that not being the case.

We’ll see.

the point being though - you don't get rid of a guy after one year - especially if he's shown a good work ethic and improvement on the court. which is what happened with culver. yes, when you pick a potato like anthony bennett, unload asap. but culver has shown no tendencies towards that kind of incompetence.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think at this point it's hard to tell much of anything from this year's rookies. ja looks fantastic, zion - if healthy - looks fantastic, coby white surprised but was up and down, rui looks like he's got talent, pj washington surprised early but then was just okay, tyler herro lived up to his billing as a shooter, matisse thybulle had his defensive moments, brandon clarke is obvious as the one who got away, both jordan poole and eric paschall got the green light to fire away on a decimated GSW that knew going into the year that they were the worst team in the league.

and really... that's about it. that's 10 out of 60. everyone else - included most of the lottery picks - we are still just figuring out if they are going to be something or not. like culver. did i miss rj barrett? volume scorer on a horrible NY team averaged just 14 ppg on 40%/32%/61%. see what i mean?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I think we saw enough to be fairly hopeful. He had two really nice stretches during the season that showed his skill level. I don't see him becoming a Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams like pretty much flat out bust type.

Maybe he can turn into a young Nicolas Batum type player. You know when Batum was good, in Portland.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am I think we saw enough to be fairly hopeful. He had two really nice stretches during the season that showed his skill level. I don't see him becoming a Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams like pretty much flat out bust type.

Maybe he can turn into a young Nicolas Batum type player. You know when Batum was good, in Portland.
Really? :lol:

He's not a guy like Williams ridiculously drafted at a position we didn't need all because he was the BPA to the moron who drafted him? He's not?

Wait, he's not a young guy like Wes thrown to the wolves too early, played out of position and against his strengths by a moron coach ruining his already shaky shooting confidence? Um......really?

You want him to be the good young Batum? So just an allstar and one of the highest paid players in the league? That all? Maybe cure cancer too?

I don't know what any of you are watching. Seriously did you all just become Wolves fans? He's Brewer. How do you all not see it? So amazingly obvious. Not as big as listed but not as small as they look because of length and ball awareness and hands to use it. Funky shot that will never be even really good but can be enough to not be an exploitable weakness. Effort and 3 position defender. Not a numbers (stl/blk) defender but a legit turnover causing, shooting % dropping pest who doesn't give you 1 fully open shot all game. Add that up with the 2-3 frustration shots scorers throw up because of him, then the great open floor ability to make possession changes pay off easy, and that's value. Brew always had it he just didn't always have coaches smart enough to use it. So like the idiot Culver has coaching him now.

Culver has a better handle than even Brew's recently improved handle. He has no where near the confidence, especially to get to the line. Both rebound more than skinny 2's playing 3 should. If Culver ends up a better Brew because of handle that's a damn good player and as much as anyone should be hoping for. If you are hoping for more you either severely underrate Brew or overrate how easy it is for NBA players to greatly improve their shot. Right now they are the same guy except Culver the better handle, Brew the better points at the line guy. Culver gets to 70% or better from the line? The confidence to draw fouls with his handle and length? That's a player. But it ain't a shooter, it ain't one of the highest paid, but it ain't no full on caged lion either. But a couple more seasons of unimproved FT's it will be closer to Wes than Brew. It's issue 1-10 right now.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am
YBBR wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am I think we saw enough to be fairly hopeful. He had two really nice stretches during the season that showed his skill level. I don't see him becoming a Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams like pretty much flat out bust type.

He's not a guy like Williams ridiculously drafted at a position we didn't need all because he was the BPA to the moron who drafted him? He's not?

Wait, he's not a young guy like Wes thrown to the wolves too early, played out of position and against his strengths by a moron coach ruining his already shaky shooting confidence? Um......really?

You want him to be the good young Batum? So just an allstar and one of the highest paid players in the league? That all? Maybe cure cancer too?

I don't know what any of you are watching. Seriously did you all just become Wolves fans? He's Brewer. How do you all not see it? So amazingly obvious. Not as big as listed but not as small as they look because of length and ball awareness and hands to use it. Funky shot that will never be even really good but can be enough to not be an exploitable weakness. Effort and 3 position defender. Not a numbers (stl/blk) defender but a legit turnover causing, shooting % dropping pest who doesn't give you 1 fully open shot all game. Add that up with the 2-3 frustration shots scorers throw up because of him, then the great open floor ability to make possession changes pay off easy, and that's value. Brew always had it he just didn't always have coaches smart enough to use it. So like the idiot Culver has coaching him now.

Culver has a better handle than even Brew's recently improved handle. He has no where near the confidence, especially to get to the line. Both rebound more than skinny 2's playing 3 should. If Culver ends up a better Brew because of handle that's a damn good player and as much as anyone should be hoping for. If you are hoping for more you either severely underrate Brew or overrate how easy it is for NBA players to greatly improve their shot. Right now they are the same guy except Culver the better handle, Brew the better points at the line guy. Culver gets to 70% or better from the line? The confidence to draw fouls with his handle and length? That's a player. But it ain't a shooter, it ain't one of the highest paid, but it ain't no full on caged lion either. But a couple more seasons of unimproved FT's it will be closer to Wes than Brew. It's issue 1-10 right now.
I think he pans out better than both those guys. Why don't we wait and see how he develops?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the brewer comparison may be apt in terms of overall results - we'll see - but it's hard frankly for me to completely buy the comp because stylistically they seem almost polar opposites. culver is maybe TOO in control, everything a little too measured - whereas brewer was the poster child for Out Of Control. i was at target center that night he scored 50. hell, half of those shots shouldn't have hit the backboard let alone gone in. but that night they did.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:44 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am

I think he pans out better than both those guys. Why don't we wait and see how he develops?
I think he pans out better than Wes and Williams. I don't think he reaches the one year high of Batum that got him that brutal contract. I'm just making fun of the way you put that and how it was so perfectly and oddly related to him.

Have to ask this though. Does anyone ever remember a player who's future is so directly related to his Ft's?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

FTwise i think he'll be okay. maybe never good - but i think okay. you look for any improvement you can find in a young player, right? he finished the year a godawful i-can-beat-it-blindfolded 46% from the line BUT...

first three months of the season - 26 of 62 (42%)
last three months of the season - 31 of 56 (55%)

so there's that. he's trending in the right direction at least - and i've said this before, i think he came into the league overwhelmed at the bigness of it - and when some of that shine fades from the apple and things start to feel more normal, i think he'll settle in better and just play ball.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:10 pm FTwise i think he'll be okay. maybe never good - but i think okay. you look for any improvement you can find in a young player, right? he finished the year a godawful i-can-beat-it-blindfolded 46% from the line BUT...

so there's that. he's trending in the right direction at least - and i've said this before, i think he came into the league overwhelmed at the bigness of it - and when some of that shine fades from the apple and things start to feel more normal, i think he'll settle in better and just play ball.
How does he not get that right elbow in? Seems like a basic first step.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kilkenny wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:10 pm FTwise i think he'll be okay. maybe never good - but i think okay. you look for any improvement you can find in a young player, right? he finished the year a godawful i-can-beat-it-blindfolded 46% from the line BUT...

true. it's not like the science of shooting a good FT% hasn't been pretty well thought out by now. and they're working on it. saw some account dated early Mar about culver practicing FTs with a wolves staffer standing at his side forcing him to keep his elbow in - with 10 for 10 type results. sure it's just gym practice - but culver's got a great work ethic and it sounds like he's working on the right stuff. i don't think a 20%pt improvement is out of the question for him next year. that would still stand him at a very pedestrian 66% - but right about where the freak is and just a few notches lower than king james. projection, i know - but there is really only one direction for his FT% to go.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

No it's not. Basic 1st step is STOP FUCKING HIM WITH SHITTY COACHING. Shot 38% from 3 as a freshman and? And they changed his shot! Coaches changed the shot of a freshman who shot 38%. He then shot 30%. Flips disappointment and his tiny dick boss ask Culver to play absolutely opposite of his strengths. Play him big during slumps and pull him when he plays well and NO WAY! He loses confidence at the FT line with his 2 attempts every 3rd game. It's not his shot form. It's his huge electric shock hitch. It's all in his head. Thank god we have the 2 stupidest "basketball" people to help him. I really hope you read this forum Ryan you pussy ass yes man. Don't actually grow a set and coach or anything.

When was it dip shit idiot coaches decided they were so much smarter and more important than players? When did tiny dick GM's decide they can change the game and players are not as important than systems? Vid game loving little rent boys destroying my favorite sport. Your job is to take good players and mold them into a team you fucks. It's not to build your little vid game player with a new hat. You fucks. Fuck you Ryan. Rent boy.

I'm annoyed today.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:15 pm

No it's not. Basic 1st step is STOP FUCKING HIM WITH SHITTY COACHING. Shot 38% from 3 as a freshman and? And they changed his shot! Coaches changed the shot of a freshman who shot 38%. He then shot 30%. Flips disappointment and his tiny dick boss ask Culver to play absolutely opposite of his strengths. Play him big during slumps and pull him when he plays well and NO WAY! He loses confidence at the FT line with his 2 attempts every 3rd game. It's not his shot form. It's his huge electric shock hitch. It's all in his head. Thank god we have the 2 stupidest "basketball" people to help him. I really hope you read this forum Ryan you pussy ass yes man. Don't actually grow a set and coach or anything.

When was it dip shit idiot coaches decided they were so much smarter and more important than players? When did tiny dick GM's decide they can change the game and players are not as important than systems? Vid game loving little rent boys destroying my favorite sport. Your job is to take good players and mold them into a team you fucks. It's not to build your little vid game player with a new hat. You fucks. Fuck you Ryan. Rent boy.

I'm annoyed today.
This may be the dumbest rant I've read in the past 3 months. Congrats.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kilkenny wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm annoyed today.
ah come on. this isn't even top 30.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

kilkenny wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm annoyed today.
Thanks, your opinion is as valid as the mandate.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Dude is 21. He's on OUR team. Show him some love and hope instead of just tearing him down. Stop hating on him because you don't like the GM, the coaches, or his macaroni and cheese recipe. It's okay to like him but also prefer another player on the roster seeing more minutes than him.

There's real life going on out there. I'm over the shallow pissy anger. You should be too.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:58 pm Dude is 21. He's on OUR team. Show him some love and hope instead of just tearing him down. Stop hating on him because you don't like the GM, the coaches, or his macaroni and cheese recipe. It's okay to like him but also prefer another player on the roster seeing more minutes than him.

There's real life going on out there. I'm over the shallow pissy anger. You should be too.
Take it to pussy chat. You don't want to talk sports then suck a dick elsewhere.