Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by somuchyummy »

still say culver has value as a mostly unknown rookie playing for a crappy team - meaning we could pair him with our 16 pick and get into the back end of the lottery. and then i'd use that pick to get us a combo guard - hayes? hampton? haliburton? - who could replace some of culver's wing minutes, but more importantly give us a better option than culver as a third PG.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 am still say culver has value as a mostly unknown rookie playing for a crappy team - meaning we could pair him with our 16 pick and get into the back end of the lottery. and then i'd use that pick to get us a combo guard - hayes? hampton? haliburton? - who could replace some of culver's wing minutes, but more importantly give us a better option than culver as a third PG.
Culver had a stretch of games from December 30, to January 18 that show his true value. Everything else is shameful at best, outright bust at worst. But that stretch is how you sell him. Other teams know how badly coached we are and how few true stars we have trained. If Wiggins makes any kind of leap with GSW this furthers the narrative that we are the absolute worst at grooming young players.

Your ambitions are too small. Culver, Spellman, JJ and Brooklyn pick package has quite a bit value for getting someone who can make an immediate impact. Remove the Brooklyn pick and use ours instead and you have a package similar to what got us Butler. We gave the #7 overall, Kris Dunn (a kid with potential but underperforming,) and Zach LaVine (an injured scorer who wasn’t known for doing much else.) The package I am showing has JJ who is playing solid minutes for us and is an expiring contract before 2021 (big value there.) Spellman, a young 3 point shooting big who is on a late first rookie scale and showing real promise at the 4 or 5. Culver a work in progress who showed both offensive and defensive potential (especially in that stretch of games,) and a high first. I don’t care if it is Booker, or someone else. Either way, we need another star.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 am still say culver has value as a mostly unknown rookie playing for a crappy team - meaning we could pair him with our 16 pick and get into the back end of the lottery. and then i'd use that pick to get us a combo guard - hayes? hampton? haliburton? - who could replace some of culver's wing minutes, but more importantly give us a better option than culver as a third PG.
You are now looking for Coby White. :roll:

He would have been able to play both positions in the backcourt and been a perfect fit for Rosas’s threefest and open paint plan.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

winforlose wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:57 am
Culver had a stretch of games from December 30, to January 18 that show his true value. Everything else is shameful at best, outright bust at worst. But that stretch is how you sell him. Other teams know how badly coached we are and how few true stars we have trained. If Wiggins makes any kind of leap with GSW this furthers the narrative that we are the absolute worst at grooming young players.

Your ambitions are too small. Culver, Spellman, JJ and Brooklyn pick package has quite a bit value for getting someone who can make an immediate impact. Remove the Brooklyn pick and use ours instead and you have a package similar to what got us Butler. We gave the #7 overall, Kris Dunn (a kid with potential but underperforming,) and Zach LaVine (an injured scorer who wasn’t known for doing much else.) The package I am showing has JJ who is playing solid minutes for us and is an expiring contract before 2021 (big value there.) Spellman, a young 3 point shooting big who is on a late first rookie scale and showing real promise at the 4 or 5. Culver a work in progress who showed both offensive and defensive potential (especially in that stretch of games,) and a high first. I don’t care if it is Booker, or someone else. Either way, we need another star.
star equals scorer to most - and i don't think we need another guy who needs the ball in his hands a lot. culver has been so passive in so many areas - i just want us to find a player who attacks the game better. KAT, Dlo and from what we've seen of beasley - how many balls do we have to go around if we add another "star" to that? IMO haliburton would be ideal. great defensively, great size, one of the best playmakers in the draft, and a career 43% shooter from three. you could squeeze a guy like that in around 3 ball-dominant players pretty easy.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:58 am
You are now looking for Coby White. :roll:

He would have been able to play both positions in the backcourt and been a perfect fit for Rosas’s threefest and open paint plan.
no. still say white is mostly a chucker who is much more of a SG than a point. his best spot on any team will be as a bench scorer. on our starting five, white would merely be a kid frustrating us by keeping the ball out of KAT, Dlo and beasley's hands. we need a guy with a well rounded game like culver's - but more aggressive and with a much better shot. maybe we can wait for culver's shot to come around - and maybe it will - but it's going to have to be a shooting shift of epic proportions. the 46% on twos is okay - but the 28% on threes smells and the 46% on FTs stinks.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 am
winforlose wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:57 am

star equals scorer to most - and i don't think we need another guy who needs the ball in his hands a lot. culver has been so passive in so many areas - i just want us to find a player who attacks the game better. KAT, Dlo and from what we've seen of beasley - how many balls do we have to go around if we add another "star" to that? IMO haliburton would be ideal. great defensively, great size, one of the best playmakers in the draft, and a career 43% shooter from three. you could squeeze a guy like that in around 3 ball-dominant players pretty easy.
Butler is a star who plays both ways. Star means someone who can effect the outcome of a game. That said, you are literally watching the proof of why your scorer position is wrong. With KAT injured we are down to two scorers. They double Beasley to keep the ball out of his hand. JH, JO, and Reid are proving inadequate to carry the load. Reid gets in foul trouble and seems more reluctant to shoot the three. He is also missing at the rim more than he should be. Granted he will get better, but he is not even going to be playing with the starters if Dlo or Beasley were to get injured instead of KAT. JH is proving dreadful off the dribble and missing way to many shots at the rim. He may be a good catch and shoot distance shooter, but not a scorer. JO’s biggest weakness is his scoring. Point to our bench, we have scoring gaps everywhere. Great teams have 3 primary guys (Simmons, Embiid, Butler,) and a fourth guy like JJ reddick who can score. Beasley is our Reddick, not our Butler. You can get by with only two stars, but one of them better be all NBA.

Long story short, we need an upgrade and have the young cheap contracts and draft assets to do it. We have no picks in 2021 (outside of top 3) so there is no reason not to go all out this season and get a third star. FVV, Booker, Collins, all names I have heard. There are others as well. Worst case, it fails, we trade our third star a year or two later and we are no worse off.
j2j

Post by j2j »

JC23 gonna jump in year 2. Believe that.

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:06 pm JC23 gonna jump in year 2. Believe that.

I like that Okogie said it’s expected. It sends the expectation out there that the guy should be improving with everything they have given him. Any backslide from here on in sounds like it will be called out by players on the Team.

I like this more than the Wolves App. Seems as if Culver manages to step on the court with his shoe laces not tied together they come up with another forced “Culver On The Rise” article to send out the next day.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
witljon

Post by witljon »

I wanted Culver over Garland, Hunter, or White. So, be patient with him. :clap:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

as a sidelight:

i'm running a little experiment at my job concerning culver and his free throw woes. i work in an elementary school and have access to the gym occasionally. so i started earlier this week shooting FTs (it's a regulation 10 foot rim) to see how i stack up next to culver. i plan on doing this - chipping away with 3 or 4 attempts per day till i catch up to his volume so it'll be an apples/apples comparison. at least as close as I can make it, considering I'm not shooting in game situations with a lot of fans screaming. but on the flip side, i'm not a young professional athlete who practices this skill on a regular basis, i'm AARP aged, have a hard time getting my arms up because of chronic shoulder and back pain, and i'm doing it in a crazy gym with a zillion little ones screaming and scooting around. plus i'm not going to shoot 30 in a row to establish a rhythm - just maybe 3 or 4 a day.

and here's the kicker - i'm shooting them with my eyes closed.

so far he's got me beat. he's hit 51 of 111 attempts this year for 46%. but i'm hot on his heels, having hit 7 of 17 for 41%. i think it'll go down to the wire.

i'll keep updates coming in this fascinating, fascinating process. can the young professional athlete shoot a higher percentage from the FT line than the broken down old fart who is shooting them with his eyes closed?
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Below you'll find a picture from Lakers practice in 2013. This shows Dwight Howard shooting more free throws than anyone on the team in practice, and while he's the worst on the team he's shooting 82% in practice... but below 50% in games. This is a high level, world class, likely future HOF athlete... Clearly he's practicing, but there was limited carryover.

Obviously Culver has a long ways to go in this area, but he was a 69% FT shooter in college. He'll improve.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Free throw challenge update. i was on fire today. 4 of 5 - so now i'm at 11 of 22 (50%). i've got a long way to go to chip away at culver's volume (i think? 53 of 115 for 46%) - but have confidence i'll eventually get enough attempts up during my work shift that the comparison will hold water. can the broken down old fart hit a better percentage of his free throws WITH HIS EYES CLOSED than the lottery pick rookie can in nba game situations presumably with his eyes open?
Style

Post by Style »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:13 pm Free throw challenge update. i was on fire today. 4 of 5 - so now i'm at 11 of 22 (50%). i've got a long way to go to chip away at culver's volume (i think? 53 of 115 for 46%) - but have confidence i'll eventually get enough attempts up during my work shift that the comparison will hold water. can the broken down old fart hit a better percentage of his free throws WITH HIS EYES CLOSED than the lottery pick rookie can in nba game situations presumably with his eyes open?
I believe this needs it’s own thread with video proof.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

really? if you've shot any free throws at all, you know you really don't need to have your eyes open. the distance never changes, the muscle memory stays consistent, the basket is straight in front of you. it was always my go to shot in games of horse, but there's really not much of a trick to it. it's sort of like, if you're a guitar player, do you really need to look at the neck to play a G chord? hardly. i expect to finish around 50% - but culver could come on (god, he's got to get better, right?) to nip me at the finish.

truth in advertising: when i regularly played ball, i think i shot around 70-75% (eyes open!) so... nothing spectacular. but yeah, you don't really need your eyes.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

3 for 5 today - that gives me 14 of 27 so far, so i'm now up to 52% FT shooting with my eyes closed. jarrett's currently 54 of 117 or 46%. for the record, when this contest is over, i hope he buries me.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

no news today - wasn't into work. but ... it is interesting that, in most probability, jarrett culver's wretched FT season has been set into stone. 54 of 117 or 46%. that's what i'm blindly aiming to beat.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 pm no news today - wasn't into work. but ... it is interesting that, in most probability, jarrett culver's wretched FT season has been set into stone. 54 of 117 or 46%. that's what i'm blindly aiming to beat.
Really doesn't make any sense, considering his average at college was .687%
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there's nowhere but up for him in this department. he realistically - easily - could have a 20 %point bump next year. hell, a 30 point bump would just get him into the mid 70s.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bad stint at the line today - 4 misses until i connected on the fifth money ball. i'm blaming it on coronavirus stress. so now i'm at 15 of 32 - or 47%. just one measley tick up from culver's 46.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Not that anyone gives a shit, but do you think i should be allowed a few warmup shots every day before the ones that count? So far i have gone without - and have counted everything i've thrown up. But Jarrett got his - it only seems fair that i get some too, right? but i will obey the directive of the froobmass - whatever you decide.

also, given current pandemic conditions, my daily visits to the gym might soon get cut short as well. i'm expecting my school to close any day now.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

in an environment of rapidly changing circumstances, i'm not sure how much longer i'll have access to the gym where I work. so, anyway, i got more FTs up today than i normally allow myself. and am starting to think that, unless i'm at a low ebb, 50% might be the best i can hope for. went 5 for 10 today - giving me a total of 20 for 42 on closed eyes FTs (48%). culver finished the year at 46%.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

put up another ten attempts today - with another 50% performance. bumming me out - i keep thinking i'll do better. came thru in the clutch though - was a miserable 2 of 7, but then hit the last three. anyway, i'm now at 25 of 52 (48%) in my Culver's Blind Free Throw Challenge. and i'm nearing the halfway point towards Culver's season total of 117 attempts. culver had his 53rd FT attempt in his 24th game - and made 23 of them. so i'm slightly ahead of his pace. my guess is that i won't get all the way thru this experiment before schools are closed and my access to a gym ends.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

news to note: i no longer have access to the gym. the blind FT experiment has officially ended. didn't get up nearly the attempts that culver did over the season, so it's not apples to apples - but it is what it is.

culver's rookie season FTs - 54 of 117 (46%)

old fart with a bad back shooting FTs with his eyes closed in a gym - 25 of 52 (48%)

if jarrett continues to have unconscionably horrible FT shooting, i'd recommend to him - now that i've tried this - to do them with his eyes closed. at least half of his distractions would be gone.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm news to note: i no longer have access to the gym. the blind FT experiment has officially ended. didn't get up nearly the attempts that culver did over the season, so it's not apples to apples - but it is what it is.

old fart with a bad back shooting FTs with his eyes closed in a gym - 25 of 52 (48%)

if jarrett continues to have unconscionably horrible FT shooting, i'd recommend to him - now that i've tried this - to do them with his eyes closed. at least half of his distractions would be gone.
To his defense... It is much harder to shoot in a large arena. Depth perception.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Decker23 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm news to note: i no longer have access to the gym. the blind FT experiment has officially ended. didn't get up nearly the attempts that culver did over the season, so it's not apples to apples - but it is what it is.

To his defense... It is much harder to shoot in a large arena. Depth perception.
Then maybe he should close his eyes like somuch did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It’s embarrassing.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yeah, i totally get that and i made mention of that several times.

but.... he's also a young athlete in prime physical condition practicing his craft all the time. i'm a broken down, 63 year old ex baller with a bad back hoisting these things without warmups in a gym with 43 K-4 kids running and screaming around me while i shoot em with my eyes closed. he should and will do much, much better next year when the nba game becomes more normal for him. this year he was obviously fucking freaked out every time he stepped to the line. you can do this jarrett!!!
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm

but.... he's also a young athlete in his prime practicing his craft all the time. i'm a broken down, 63 year old ex baller with a bad back hoisting these things without warmups in a gym with 43 K-4 kids running and screaming around me while i shoot em with my eyes closed. he should and will do much, much better next year when the nba game becomes more normal for him. this year he was obviously fucking freaked out every time he stepped to the line. you can do this jarrett!!!
Hey, I get it. I started this thread homie.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you still want him gone?

i've decided i want him back, ten pounds heavier and starting at the 3.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm

but.... he's also a young athlete in his prime practicing his craft all the time. i'm a broken down, 63 year old ex baller with a bad back hoisting these things without warmups in a gym with 43 K-4 kids running and screaming around me while i shoot em with my eyes closed. he should and will do much, much better next year when the nba game becomes more normal for him. this year he was obviously fucking freaked out every time he stepped to the line. you can do this jarrett!!!
He has a brutal hitch put there by some shit coach and he just can't stop doing it. 100% in his head. It's Knobloch throwing to 1st. He need to have someone rebound for him while he just jacks up 100 FT's. No dribble, no set up just fire and fire. Trying to get a rhythm with all these bullshit set ups is crap. He'd be better off going to the arcade and shooting pop a shot every day.

Shooting coaches have destroyed more players than they have helped. Remember all the 6 foot tall shooting coaches that tried to get Shaq to shoot just like them? Get more legs in it guy with legs 3 times longer than mine. Fucking morons. Don't try to emulate Ewing or another 7 footer that can make them. Nope. Always say I'd be the most successful shooting coach in history. That's how you shoot? Cool. Let's take 1000. I'd actually be a rebounding machine but I want to be a cocky dick "shooting coach" like the rest of these morons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Culver just simply isn't very good. You can fix his free throws and then it's off to something else to fix with his game.

I would like to see him traded in the off season.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master