Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 am
j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 am Wolves aren't trading Covington for DSJ. Just a terribly forced bit by Joda.
I could see a deal with NY, I could, but it would look something like:

NY

Covington
Napier

MN

DSJ
Knox
Dal 1st

Knox and the Dal first are the value and targets of the deal and DSJ is basically a toss in. And honestly I am not sure they can't do better.
Why would NY do that? Outside of, "it's the Knicks". That trade would be terrible for them.

I want Allonzo Trier from them, and I think he could be had for cheap.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

Yes he was trying to get Garland in the draft and would have used Covington to get him, but he got “really smart” and thought Cleveland wouldn’t take a PG and was able to get the spot behind them for Saric instead.......it was simply a genius draft for Rosas according to many here. So genius.

Then “his path” to DLO turned into the “road to nowhere”, more genius for sure. Then more “pure genius” gems broke loose from Rosas like Culver is a PG and Covington is a PF and so many here saw “the light” and are still blinded by the light of his genius.

The only players that it’s been openly reported that Rosas called on are New York about DSJ and OKC about Shroder, also that Covington is 100% available, and the only other report was that he is one of the most active GM’s out there right now. I’m sure he isn’t after any PG’s though, and wouldn’t use Covington to try and net one. :roll:

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
LOL. He is not trading Covington for DSJ or the criminal in OKC. He is looking at guys who have low value at PG who might be reclamation projects. The interest in these players is unrelated to Covington, at least in that they are not the value we would be getting, like young players and/or picks.

By holding onto Covington he is looking like a Genius!!! As I said it is a depressed trade market, Covington is one of the bigger gets. Things are set up for a bidding war and a HIGH return. I have NO idea why you have an issue with that? Do you want this team to not position themselves the best they can? Stop it.
I have no issues with him trading Covington. He’s doing what every GM is doing right now....taking their best trade piece and listing it at a very high price....to call that genius means every GM in the NBA is a genius by your standard.

Next week rumors will start to leak and the real value of the players will come into view. And then the last weeks the damn should break loose after a few trades happen.

I believe Rosas is after a starting PG more than any other position of need on the team. Covington is his best asset to net such a player along with Teague’s expiring and whatever else he is willing to deal. If he trades Covington without getting a PG, he won’t have the assets needed to get one in the off-season and that takes him back to the draft to get one. Along with a stopgap PG to start and train the rookie to possibly start the following season. I don’t believe KAT will stay onboard for another wasted season next year....he’s clearly already made waves behind the scenes.

Like I said, if he did what you wanted that would have been DUMB, trading your best asset AND Saric AND your FRP to get a rookie PG rather than wait for this great opportunity where the market for Covington and the return is much higher. Additionally, we have a FRP this year (and we don't have to give up anything for it) to get a PG with many being available, hell, we might have two picks depending on what we get for Covington. So in short there is no validity to anything you are saying.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am
j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 am Wolves aren't trading Covington for DSJ. Just a terribly forced bit by Joda.
Slow your roll. I’m not saying he’s trading Cov for DSJ. I mention DSJ because he is a PG and that along with Schroeder is who he has called teams about and it shows his desperation to address the clear lack of talent he currently has left at the position.

If Rosas is using Cov to get a PG, I expect Jrue or DLO type.

End of that discussion.
Quite the fantasy world you live in.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:02 pm

NY

Covington
Napier

MN

DSJ
Knox
Dal 1st

Knox and the Dal first are the value and targets of the deal and DSJ is basically a toss in. And honestly I am not sure they can't do better.
Why would NY do that? Outside of, "it's the Knicks". That trade would be terrible for them.

Why is it rumored they are interested in Drummond? Who knows?..., but they still want to try and compete it seems or set themselves up for it next year. Regardless, it is not awful for NY, DSJ is junk, Knox is a decent prospect who is playing poorly and the Dal 1st is going to be later. A decent prospect, a 1st and salary filler if needed for Covingtion is on par with his value. Trading for Drummond would be awful being they have Mitch.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

NY

Covington
Napier

MN

DSJ
Knox
Dal 1st

Why is it rumored they are interested in Drummond? Who knows?..., but they still want to try and compete it seems or set themselves up for it next year. Regardless, it is not awful for NY, DSJ is junk, Knox is a decent prospect who is playing poorly and the Dal 1st is going to be later. A decent prospect, a 1st and salary filler if needed for Covingtion is on par with his value. Trading for Drummond would be awful being they have Mitch.
Drummond is seen as a franchise cornerstone by some, RoCo isn't. RoCo isnt the type of player they need. Finals contenders want RoCo, not lottery teams.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Drummond is seen as a franchise cornerstone by some, RoCo isn't. RoCo isnt the type of player they need. Finals contenders want RoCo, not lottery teams.
I think your perception of Dummond is off and I think how you think NY perceives themselves is off...just saying. Or I should say Drummond is not widely viewed as a cornerstone and NY doesn't view themselves as a lottery team or rebuilding.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 pm

I think your perception of Dummond is off and I think how you think NY perceives themselves is off...just saying.
My perception of Drummond is I wouldnt want him for the Wolves, and his value is variable depending on the team. My perception is there are some teams out there who probably think he's a franchise cornerstone. I'm not saying I think he's that.

A team like the Knicks or Hawks would rather have Drummond. A team like the Lakers or Clippers would rather have RoCo. There's a difference in assets needed to obtain, contract, and ability to fit vs build around.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 pm

I think your perception of Dummond is off and I think how you think NY perceives themselves is off...just saying.
My perception of Drummond is I wouldnt want him for the Wolves, and his value is variable depending on the team. My perception is there are some teams out there who probably think he's a franchise cornerstone. I'm not saying I think he's that.

A team like the Knicks or Hawks would rather have Drummond. A team like the Lakers or Clippers would rather have RoCo. There's a difference in assets needed to obtain, contract, and ability to fit vs build around.
I agree with you on the Hawks, NY I don't. That team will never treat itself as rebuilding to their detriment. I suspect Ownership is the key factor in that. That team could view Covington as the missing piece to make a playoff push as far back as they are. And it is not out of the realm of possibility he is, given the East.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:36 pm

I agree with you on the Hawks, NY I don't. That team will never treat itself as rebuilding to their detriment. I suspect Ownership is the key factor in that. That team could view Covington as the missing piece to make a playoff push as far back as they are. And it is not out of the realm of possibility he is, given the East.
You're contradicting yourself then. You said it's rumored they're interested in Drummond, no such rumor for RoCo exists.

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am

LOL. He is not trading Covington for DSJ or the criminal in OKC. He is looking at guys who have low value at PG who might be reclamation projects. The interest in these players is unrelated to Covington, at least in that they are not the value we would be getting, like young players and/or picks.

By holding onto Covington he is looking like a Genius!!! As I said it is a depressed trade market, Covington is one of the bigger gets. Things are set up for a bidding war and a HIGH return. I have NO idea why you have an issue with that? Do you want this team to not position themselves the best they can? Stop it.
I have no issues with him trading Covington. He’s doing what every GM is doing right now....taking their best trade piece and listing it at a very high price....to call that genius means every GM in the NBA is a genius by your standard.

Next week rumors will start to leak and the real value of the players will come into view. And then the last weeks the damn should break loose after a few trades happen.

I believe Rosas is after a starting PG more than any other position of need on the team. Covington is his best asset to net such a player along with Teague’s expiring and whatever else he is willing to deal. If he trades Covington without getting a PG, he won’t have the assets needed to get one in the off-season and that takes him back to the draft to get one. Along with a stopgap PG to start and train the rookie to possibly start the following season. I don’t believe KAT will stay onboard for another wasted season next year....he’s clearly already made waves behind the scenes.

Like I said, if he did what you wanted that would have been DUMB, trading your best asset AND Saric AND your FRP to get a rookie PG rather than wait for this great opportunity where the market for Covington and the return is much higher. Additionally, we have a FRP this year (and we don't have to give up anything for it) to get a PG with many being available, hell, we might have two picks depending on what we get for Covington. So in short there is no validity to anything you are saying.
You’re missing something. In trading Cov to get Garland they would have kept Saric. They would have had an actual PF that worked well next to KAT and had a better Team. They still would have had Saric to deal at the deadline with Teague to get something of need, potentially another player they needed or a late possibly FRP.

Now Rosas needs to address two holes instead of just one, and you consider it genius.

:thumbsup: Good Call. :roll:

I think we’re done.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:39 pm

You're contradicting yourself then. You said it's rumored they're interested in Drummond, no such rumor for RoCo exists.
Not what I am saying at all. They have Mitch Robinson remember. Which means more that they are trying to win now rather than later. You would have a point if they were just trying to add talent, but adding talent to a position they don't need rather than stay the course is something different entirely. It is not rebuilding, it is not being content with losing to be better later.

I will add, I am not saying I think there is anything to the trade just that I could see a world where it could happen, nothing more, nothing less. Your idea of "awful" for then is tied to what you think they should do. I don't care what they do, but getting Covington for what they are giving up is not awful, based on your opinion (mine as well) it might be ill-advised. But so was their FA period, so they are kind of stuck.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Not what I am saying at all. They have Mitch Robinson remember. Which means more that they are trying to win now rather than later. You would have a point if they were just trying to add talent, but adding talent to a position they don't need rather than stay the course is something different entirely.
I'd like to enter exhibit A to the discussion, the Knicks 2019 offseason.
July 15, 2019
Signed Marcus Morris as a free agent.

July 8, 2019
Signed Julius Randle as a free agent.

Signed Taj Gibson as a free agent.

Signed Bobby Portis as a free agent.

Signed Wayne Ellington as a free agent.

Signed Elfrid Payton as a free agent.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Not what I am saying at all. They have Mitch Robinson remember. Which means more that they are trying to win now rather than later. You would have a point if they were just trying to add talent, but adding talent to a position they don't need rather than stay the course is something different entirely.
I'd like to enter exhibit A to the discussion, the Knicks 2019 offseason.
July 15, 2019
Signed Marcus Morris as a free agent.

July 8, 2019
Signed Julius Randle as a free agent.

Signed Taj Gibson as a free agent.

Signed Bobby Portis as a free agent.

Signed Wayne Ellington as a free agent.

Signed Elfrid Payton as a free agent.
Exactly, they made moves they thought would help them win this year, stupid moves, overpays and heavy at the bigs, but moves that were far from giving up when the better move would have been do nothing.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:47 pm Then “his path” to DLO turned into the “road to nowhere”, more genius for sure.
DLo said he hated the weather here. So Rosas is trying but the weather is fighting him. Minnesota isn't an easy sell on NBA players. We've always had this problem but at least he tried I guess. I hate that Minnesota is a bad word in the NBA world. Uphill battle.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Culver is a fucking gamer. I'm pumped. Dude knows how to ball.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Drummond and RoCo are not even the same tier of player.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Decker23 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:00 am Another screwed up draft pick. I think most knew this was a panic pick by Rosas, but it's time to stop trying to believe he "might" be good. He doesn't have it.

Move him as fast as you can. I warned you all with Andrew years ago, it's time to do the same with Culver. At least Jarrett doesn't have the expectations Andrew did.
This thread needs a new title.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:00 pm
Decker23 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:00 am Another screwed up draft pick. I think most knew this was a panic pick by Rosas, but it's time to stop trying to believe he "might" be good. He doesn't have it.

Move him as fast as you can. I warned you all with Andrew years ago, it's time to do the same with Culver. At least Jarrett doesn't have the expectations Andrew did.
Suggestions are always welcome.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

NYK does have some PFs, maybe not perfect for us (def/reb) but Id take any of them.

Culver being traded door has closed.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:47 pm Then “his path” to DLO turned into the “road to nowhere”, more genius for sure.
DLo said he hated the weather here. So Rosas is trying but the weather is fighting him. Minnesota isn't an easy sell on NBA players. We've always had this problem but at least he tried I guess. I hate that Minnesota is a bad word in the NBA world. Uphill battle.
ah, if only we could squire master russell around town this weekend. he'd never leave.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

mglviks wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:50 pm NYK does have some PFs, maybe not perfect for us (def/reb) but Id take any of them.

Taj.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mglviks wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:50 pm NYK does have some PFs, maybe not perfect for us (def/reb) but Id take any of them.

So...........what.........the bench is about to float away? Need another big man to sit on it?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Post your apologizes when Culver rips it up in Minnesota? :D
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'm sure it more has to do that this franchise is a joke. The Vikings don't really have a problem getting free agents and while they aren't a powerhouse you can pretty much bet that they'll always be solid.

No star will ever willingly sign here via free agency but if this franchise somehow became competent we definitely and realistically could sign high end role players and starters.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 am
I'm sure it more has to do that this franchise is a joke. The Vikings don't really have a problem getting free agents and while they aren't a powerhouse you can pretty much bet that they'll always be solid.

No star will ever willingly sign here via free agency but if this franchise somehow became competent we definitely and realistically could sign high end role players and starters.
Well, putting aside that the Vikes are a well run organization with owners who will spend? There are a lot of outdoor shit weather football teams and we aren't one of them.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 am

Well, putting aside that the Vikes are a well run organization with owners who will spend? There are a lot of outdoor shit weather football teams and we aren't one of them.
Right, but the owners and how will it is run is 90% why the Vikings don't really have problems getting free agents. Mike Wallace is really the only one off the top of my head that made that excuse

If, and it will never happen, the Wolves ownership became competent and was willing to spend then a lot of the weather bashing comments would go away and we'd be able to sign high end role/starting players.

Until then we are mostly going to be attaching the Jake Layman types. While Layman is actually a pretty decent player he is by no means a "high end" role player.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 pm

A. Decker has lost the right to root for Culver
B. Post your Jarrett Culver apologies here
C. Wiggins is still awful
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 am

Right, but the owners and how will it is run is 90% why the Vikings don't really have problems getting free agents. Mike Wallace is really the only one off the top of my head that made that excuse

If, and it will never happen, the Wolves ownership became competent and was willing to spend then a lot of the weather bashing comments would go away and we'd be able to sign high end role/starting players.

Until then we are mostly going to be attaching the Jake Layman types. While Layman is actually a pretty decent player he is by no means a "high end" role player.
We offered DLo the max didn't we? He said no, the weather sucks.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

kilkenny wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 am

We offered DLo the max didn't we? He said no, the weather sucks.
1) One singular move doesn't mean anything just like the Twins finally making a big move in free agency doesn't mean they are any less of a penny pinching bunch based on the past however many decades.

2) Do you really think any player is going to come out and say "that organization is trash which is why I didn't sign with them"

3) he also got a Max from the Warriors. The Warriors are an infinitely better run organization then the Wolves

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Couldn’t part of it be the time of the year the season is played? The NFL is off through the shittiest parts of the year, so people can scatter if they desire. There really isn’t that option in the NBA.