Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by Decker23 »

Another screwed up draft pick. I think most knew this was a panic pick by Rosas, but it's time to stop trying to believe he "might" be good. He doesn't have it.

Move him as fast as you can. I warned you all with Andrew years ago, it's time to do the same with Culver. At least Jarrett doesn't have the expectations Andrew did.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
winforlose

Re: Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by winforlose »

Decker23 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:00 am Another screwed up draft pick. I think most knew this was a panic pick by Rosas, but it's time to stop trying to believe he "might" be good. He doesn't have it.

Move him as fast as you can. I warned you all with Andrew years ago, it's time to do the same with Culver. At least Jarrett doesn't have the expectations Andrew did.
He is a multi year investment before you get consistent rotational play. He shows flashes of value. You don’t just give him away. Get good value or don’t trade.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

One of the weirdest drafts I have seen the Wolves execute.

Go back to Cleveland. Offer Culver + for Garland, like it was always meant to be.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's worth keeping around at this point - super cheap contract to see how he develops. okogie is the one i'm more worried about. at any rate, i think wiggins has become a more attractive trade commodity - so if the wolves shake something up, his wing spot would free up and then we'd be glad to have culver (assuming he develops). but it's way too early to cut the cord on the kid.

he's averaging 23 mpg (on a crummy disjointed team) - per 36 numbers of 13/5/3 on 45%/24%/43%. the shooting percentages from three and at the line have to, of course, improve if there's any hope - but i think some of that will get there with confidence and strength - and the fact that he shot considerably better from 3 and at the line in college. i think it'll come around - especially since it appears he's a gym rat.

as a comp, here's some recent draft picks - all of whom look from alright to pretty damn good right now, and as i remember, all had fairly lackluster starts to their nba careers. here's first year per 36 numbers (and in the case of randle and oubre, 2nd year per 36 numbers). see how they compare to culver.

d'angelo russell (28mpg) - per 36 of 17/4/4 on 45%/35%/74%
brandon ingram (29mpg) - per 36 of 12/5/3 on 44%/29%/62%
marcus smart (27mpg) - per 36 of 10/4/4 on 41%/34%/78%
julius randle (28mpg) - per 36 of 15/13/2 on 44%/28%/72%
tj warren (15mpg) - per 36 of 14/5/2 on 56%/24%/74%
kelly oubre (20mpg) - per 36 of 11/6/1 on 52%/29%/76%
jaylen brown (17mpg) - per 36 of 14/5/2 on 51%/34%/69%
de'aaron fox (27mpg) - per 36 of 15/3/6 on 44%/31%/72%
jonathan isaac (20mpg) - per 36 of 10/7/1 on 39%/35%/76%
bam adebayo (20mpg) - per 36 of 13/10/3 on 52%/0%/72%
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Disliked the pick from Day 1 and I thought he was the most overrated player in this draft.

But, the Wolves are just going to have to be patient with him. Not sure why his FT percentage totally sucks (43.4%, about the lowest I have ever seen) and his 3 point shooting is terrible (24%). But his 2-pt fg% isn't the worst in the world, 45.1%. Can he improve his perimeter shooting enough that you can let him shoot the ball and it can open up other things? If he can at least become adequate I think he cna have an NBA career as a rotational guy that can score a few points within the offense.

But, as I said from the beginning, it isn't even a given that Culver becomes as good of a player as Dario Saric, especially on the offensive end.

The Wolves have a way of making every choice htey make, even ones that on the surface look to be very good choices, turn into complete disasters.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

I wish we had Cam Johnson. He is who we drafted for the Suns. 79% from FT, 41% from 3, and 44% from the field (Siri search.) Saric could have been a useful trade piece in a bigger deal to try and get another Star. Wiggins for Dlo is looking more appealing after this game. He cannot do anything without Towns.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am One of the weirdest drafts I have seen the Wolves execute.

Go back to Cleveland. Offer Culver + for Garland, like it was always meant to be.
Agreed. Rumor was RoCo and Culver. Go give it up. You have a PG of the future and keep your pick.

RoCo blows. Spend your pick on the best PF available.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish they drafted Clarke and packaged RoCo and Saric for whatever they could have got and drafted a PG in this years draft.

Even if we get a PG in the 2020 draft, we still don't have a 4. They created two holes with the Culver pick when they would only have one.

This team is a joke.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

winforlose wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:18 am I wish we had Cam Johnson. He is who we drafted for the Suns. 79% from FT, 41% from 3, and 44% from the field (Siri search.) Saric could have been a useful trade piece in a bigger deal to try and get another Star. Wiggins for Dlo is looking more appealing after this game. He cannot do anything without Towns.
I don't think DLo or anyone else for that matter, can do anything with this roster sans Karl Anthony Towns. Second, it wasn't as if Karl Anthony Towns was doing it himself either.

This team needs a 3rd offensive option and except if Jeff Teague bursts from time to time off the bench, it doesnt get anything beyond Wiggins and Towns.

I believe that if there is an opportunity to get Russell you make that move and cross your fingers. Add a couple of shooter to the mix, the team couold at least play for 6th-8th playoff seed.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Nothing smarter than buying high, selling low.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Send this turd to the G league for a month, or trade him. Either way I don't want to watch him play on our team.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:32 am One of the weirdest drafts I have seen the Wolves execute.

Garland might be the worst rookie in the class.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Fire everyone, cut everyone, move the team to Seattle.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

thinktank wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:04 am

Take your blue blinders off...Culver has been just as bad.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

It’s nothing to be mad about at this point.

Everyone here was told what a stupid pick this was. Anyone with eyes and has watched Timberwolves basketball should have known it was a complete blunder......#6 pick and the Wolves never really wanted him. Gutless and paralyzed with fear on the court best describes his play.

He was a dumb gamble of a pick. The Wolves didn’t want him, Rosas and Ryan know it and unfortunately Culver appears to know it as well.

Send him to the D-League to get minutes and confidence. At least some of them coming up here seem hungry for minutes when they get put on the floor. Culver has been a flatline from the minute he played here.

Next time try addressing an actual need on the Team during the Draft or FA. Went in needing a PG and Shooting, came out needing a PG, Shooting and a PF. Simply one of the worst drafts and FA in Wolves history.

Rosas has at least stopped talking and blowing smoke, so he must have learned a very hard lesson and is now actually working hard behind the scenes to address the needs of this team. I really want to see what he comes up with over the next month or so to help correct and set the course, then I hope he has an incredible off-season.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, either rosas has stopped talking and is working behind the scenes - or he's more probably just gone into hiding. hope springs eternal - i keep thinking something good might eventually come from this - but yeah, if we'd just stuck with our pick and selected brandon clarke, we'd be much better off than we are.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 am

If he’s been just as bad then why throw RoCo away to acquire him? (And he hasn’t been as bad. Garland has the worst splits of anyone on the Cavs.)

RoCo + for Garland is just stupid, especially when you you can likely draft a better PG than Garland in the next draft.

In case you haven’t noticed, this draft has been brutal. We shouldn’t want to add resources into it.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

This is great.....not yet mid season and some of those that defended the draft day chaos/blunder are now coming to terms with what was obvious. The TRADE was terrible. You cannot blame this on Culver necessarily....he was going to be bad at 6 or 9 or wherever he got selected. It is also ridiculous to justify the move because Garland has been bad....the deal should have never been made. I, along with others, liked Clarke and Hashimura....while Hashimura went 9...Clarke was perfect...and Washington a nice fall back in the event he wasn't. the Wolves would be no worse off record wise by NOT making the trade....and still could move Saric at the deadline.

I looked at Wes Johnson's first year numbers....very comparible to Culver. I also see the same look on Culvers face that I saw with Johnson, overwhelmed. Get him to the D league...hide him, inflate his numbers against nobodies...maybe he becomes a second team glue guy...that is a hope and possibly best case based on the sample size shown.

PS....take a kid struggling to adapt and then tell him to play a psuedo point guard. what can go wrong.

jesus.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Stork311 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am This is great.....not yet mid season and some of those that defended the draft day chaos/blunder are now coming to terms with what was obvious. The TRADE was terrible. You cannot blame this on Culver necessarily....he was going to be bad at 6 or 9 or wherever he got selected. It is also ridiculous to justify the move because Garland has been bad....the deal should have never been made. I, along with others, liked Clarke and Hashimura....while Hashimura went 9...Clarke was perfect...and Washington a nice fall back in the event he wasn't. the Wolves would be no worse off record wise by NOT making the trade....and still could move Saric at the deadline.

I looked at Wes Johnson's first year numbers....very comparible to Culver. I also see the same look on Culvers face that I saw with Johnson, overwhelmed. Get him to the D league...hide him, inflate his numbers against nobodies...maybe he becomes a second team glue guy...that is a hope and possibly best case based on the sample size shown.

PS....take a kid struggling to adapt and then tell him to play a psuedo point guard. what can go wrong.

jesus.
I totally agree on the G-League assignment. Seems like the best route to see if he can start shooting better and perhaps create momentum for his career.

AS far as the Wes Johnson comp, maybe some things are similar but Johnson was a much, much better shooter as a rookie than Jarrett Culver will probably ever be.

AS a rookie, Johnson shot 35.6% from 3 vs. 24.0% Culver is shooting. Johnson had a higher percentage at the basket and from 3-10 feet than Culver. The only difference in their 2 point shooting percentage (Johnson's rookie 42.7% and Culver 44.4%) is that Johnson actually took 2-point field goal attempts from more than 10 feet out. To date, Culver has only taken 2.5% of his 2 point shots from beyond 10 feet which is an incredible stat when you consider that 40% of Culver's shots have been 3 point attempts.

One theory with Culver I would advance is that either he isn't being used "completely" in the offense or he just does not understand the offense. I get the "long 2" theory, but if you are not getting any shots from 10-16 feet there is something wrong.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wanted to take Clarke at 11 or take Coby white at 6.

Saunders and Rosas have failed
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

thinktank wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:05 am

If he’s been just as bad then why throw RoCo away to acquire him? (And he hasn’t been as bad. Garland has the worst splits of anyone on the Cavs.)

RoCo + for Garland is just stupid, especially when you you can likely draft a better PG than Garland in the next draft.

In case you haven’t noticed, this draft has been brutal. We shouldn’t want to add resources into it.
I didn't mention RoCo.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:45 pm

I didn't mention RoCo.
I misread. You said Culver + and that’s not a good idea either.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's hit a wall. a lot of rooks do that. look at his season stats, he's got promise. look at the last 5 games and he looks like a mess.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 pm he's hit a wall. a lot of rooks do that. look at his season stats, he's got promise. look at the last 5 games and he looks like a mess.
You must be squinting really hard, because I have seen none of this promise of which you speak.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

yes, we know. because that is what you've decided to focus on. if we only look to someone for the shit they do, then that's all we'll see. if we only look for the good, likewise. it was an unnecessary and weird pick for us. rosas boffed it. but that's not culver's fault.

go back near the top of this page and look at the list of 10 players (doing alright today) who also had rookie numbers that didn't leap off the page and show great promise. brandon ingram is killing it this year - and his numbers his first year aren't phenomenally better than culver's right now. the only real dagger in culver's heart has been his free throws - that's remarkably worse than the rest of the lot. and i can't imagine he's going to continue his pro career in the 40s - no way. his shooting percentage, rebounds and assists are right in the ballpark. his three point shooting is near the bottom of the group. but nothing screams "throw this dude to the curb" matched against the ten players i listed and how they were doing their rookie seasons.

we're also not half way done with the year. culver may have hit a wall and finish strong - so that he could be looking at a BETTER first year than many of ten i listed. stop digging a hole with your narrative and just look at it in a detached way. he wasn't listed in every mock as a top player in the draft because he was a horrible player.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Wes Johnson 2.0

Pink Mamba 2.0
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:28 pm yes, we know. because that is what you've decided to focus on. if we only look to someone for the shit they do, then that's all we'll see. if we only look for the good, likewise. it was an unnecessary and weird pick for us. rosas boffed it. but that's not culver's fault.

go back near the top of this page and look at the list of 10 players (doing alright today) who also had rookie numbers that didn't leap off the page and show great promise. brandon ingram is killing it this year - and his numbers his first year aren't phenomenally better than culver's right now. the only real dagger in culver's heart has been his free throws - that's remarkably worse than the rest of the lot. and i can't imagine he's going to continue his pro career in the 40s - no way. his shooting percentage, rebounds and assists are right in the ballpark. his three point shooting is near the bottom of the group. but nothing screams "throw this dude to the curb" matched against the ten players i listed and how they were doing their rookie seasons.

we're also not half way done with the year. culver may have hit a wall and finish strong - so that he could be looking at a BETTER first year than many of ten i listed. stop digging a hole with your narrative and just look at it in a detached way. he wasn't listed in every mock as a top player in the draft because he was a horrible player.
Culver’s best stat line is his blocks. The problem with Culver is he is playing out of position. The kid clearly doesn’t know how to run an offense. He doesn’t know when to pass and when to shoot. His handle is OK, but not elite like you want in a PG. Okogie was ready for the NBA, Culver is not. Culver needs the G league for a couple of weeks. He needs weak competition to build confidence and competence against before we judge him.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

thinktank wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

I didn't mention RoCo.
I'd trade him in a heartbeat to get the guy Rosas really wanted. PG is a giant position of need, which is why the Wolves would have to give a little extra. Garland and Culver have been equally as bad. Both players are better fits on the other team though. Its what was meant to be.

Garland is supposed to have the ball in his hands, but that role goes to Sexton in Cleveland.

Culver is supposed to be on off ball slasher, but is forced to play point here, and jack up 3's.

Neither player may be very good, but they both fit much better on the other team. Maybe when they actually fit the role they should be playing, they will both be better.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:26 am
I didn't mention RoCo.
I'd trade him in a heartbeat to get the guy Rosas really wanted. PG is a giant position of need, which is why the Wolves would have to give a little extra. Garland and Culver have been equally as bad. Both players are better fits on the other team though. Its what was meant to be.

Garland is supposed to have the ball in his hands, but that role goes to Sexton in Cleveland.

Culver is supposed to be on off ball slasher, but is forced to play point here, and jack up 3's.

Neither player may be very good, but they both fit much better on the other team. Maybe when they actually fit the role they should be playing, they will both be better.
Your issue can be solved with patience.

Draft a PG.

Culver moves to SG.

Very simple.

That’s why you won’t ever see a Culver + for Garland trade.

You should move on from your ridiculous notion, frankly.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:08 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:26 am

Your issue can be solved with patience.

Draft a PG.

Culver moves to SG.

Very simple.
Check out Garland’s recent stretch, putting Culver way into his rearview mirror.

The last straw for the Culver Clowns to grasp onto is gone.

Garland improving, Culver getting (as if it’s even possible) worse.

Rosas fucked up taking this kid. Never pick a kid that quotes scripture to be your assassin on the court, they simply will never have the heart for the job.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:

Also, I probably wouldn’t include Culver in any deal right now unless it would net the Wolves a stud PG. I like the way he is playing now that he isn’t playing PG.
Last edited by jodaman01 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.