Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Re: Jarrett Culver: Trade Him Now

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:35 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Decker23 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm

To his defense... It is much harder to shoot in a large arena. Depth perception.
yeah, i totally get that and i made mention of that several times.

but.... he's also a young athlete in his prime practicing his craft all the time. i'm a broken down, 63 year old ex baller with a bad back hoisting these things without warmups in a gym with 43 K-4 kids running and screaming around me while i shoot em with my eyes closed. he should and will do much, much better next year when the nba game becomes more normal for him. this year he was obviously fucking freaked out every time he stepped to the line. you can do this jarrett!!!
He has a brutal hitch put there by some shit coach and he just can't stop doing it. 100% in his head. It's Knobloch throwing to 1st. He need to have someone rebound for him while he just jacks up 100 FT's. No dribble, no set up just fire and fire. Trying to get a rhythm with all these bullshit set ups is crap. He'd be better off going to the arcade and shooting pop a shot every day.

Shooting coaches have destroyed more players than they have helped. Remember all the 6 foot tall shooting coaches that tried to get Shaq to shoot just like them? Get more legs in it guy with legs 3 times longer than mine. Fucking morons. Don't try to emulate Ewing or another 7 footer that can make them. Nope. Always say I'd be the most successful shooting coach in history. That's how you shoot? Cool. Let's take 1000. I'd actually be a rebounding machine but I want to be a cocky dick "shooting coach" like the rest of these morons.
I’ve thought the exact same analogy all season.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

He’s had some downs but he’s shown enough progress that I think there is something there. He’s an above average defender and finisher at the rim.

They said he has the best work ethic on the team.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

culver hit a wall early, but then kind of came around. he had some nice stretches. and while he hit less than 30% from three for the year (29.9%) - much of that was due to a terrible, terrible start (first 30 games - 23 for 98 (23%). in his final 34 games of the year (a bigger sample size), he went 43 of 122 (35%). and that's IMO pretty dang respectable for a rookie who came into the league without much of a deep ball. he's trending in the right direction. the fact that he's young, we've got him cheap, he's got a great work ethic and he's kind of a swiss army knife guy - potentially the kind of player who makes those around him better - i'd love to see him pump some iron in the offseason, come in 10 lbs stronger and start for us at the 3.

if there's a young tpup wing i'm more concerned about it's okogie. really like the guy - but he's having a really hard time finding his threeball. 27.4% career after 2 years - this past season it was lower 26.6%. his struggles there really puts a lid on the kind of player he could be for us. it's gotta get better next year or IDK. he might have to go into full out Grindfather mode to make a go in the league.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm culver hit a wall early, but then kind of came around. he had some nice stretches. and while he hit less than 30% from three for the year (29.9%) - much of that was due to a terrible, terrible start (first 30 games - 23 for 98 (23%). in his final 34 games of the year (a bigger sample size), he went 43 of 122 (35%). and that's IMO pretty dang respectable for a rookie who came into the league without much of a deep ball. he's trending in the right direction. the fact that he's young, we've got him cheap, he's got a great work ethic and he's kind of a swiss army knife guy - potentially the kind of player who makes those around him better - i'd love to see him pump some iron in the offseason, come in 10 lbs stronger and start for us at the 3.

if there's a young tpup wing i'm more concerned about it's okogie. really like the guy - but he's having a really hard time finding his threeball. 27.4% career after 2 years - this past season it was lower 26.6%. his struggles there really puts a lid on the kind of player he could be for us. it's gotta get better next year or IDK. he might have to go into full out Grindfather mode to make a go in the league.
Both of their issues are the mandate to chuck no matter what. Both would be much better % shooters taking the one maybe two wide open ones they get a game. Culver's % went up so much because teams just laughed at him from 3 and he learned to take his time and line it up.

And both got the straight up shaft as to role and playing time. How many times this year did one get hot and bam, his minutes go to the other guy. Had to happen 6-8 times. Both players are better more impactfull than we allow them to be. Because like every other thing in basketball we do it the worst stupidest way.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 pm culver hit a wall early, but then kind of came around. he had some nice stretches. and while he hit less than 30% from three for the year (29.9%) - much of that was due to a terrible, terrible start (first 30 games - 23 for 98 (23%). in his final 34 games of the year (a bigger sample size), he went 43 of 122 (35%). and that's IMO pretty dang respectable for a rookie who came into the league without much of a deep ball. he's trending in the right direction. the fact that he's young, we've got him cheap, he's got a great work ethic and he's kind of a swiss army knife guy - potentially the kind of player who makes those around him better - i'd love to see him pump some iron in the offseason, come in 10 lbs stronger and start for us at the 3.

If there is hope for either to be a starter in the future it’s Culver. Watching him you can see he actually understands the game far more than Okogie does. Okogie is a guy getting around on athleticism, instinct and hustle. I called him Corey Brewer 2.0, that’s pretty close. He’s going to have solid career as an NBA roll player.

The Wolves should gift Culver nothing at this point and make him fight Okogie, Nowell, Vanderbilt and possibly any duplicate Rosas drafts this year for the job. The kid has earned nothing but an opportunity to fight, he certainly didn’t earn a job.

Wolves aren’t in any position to say “good enough” at the 3 or 4 - they need to seriously address them this draft and FA period before next season.

No rest for Rosas!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by jodaman01 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and i think you're going to have to hit a lucky pitch out of the park to expect a #16 pick (vassel, bey) to come out of college and clearly be better than culver. neither of them had the college career culver did - that's a lot of hoping going around if you're eyeballing saddiq bey and thinking "finally! that's the guy!"

i say start culver - play him with our best players, but sub frequently with both layman and vandy if needed. hell, i have no faith that vassell or bey would come in and be a better option than even vandy in that role. start the #6 overall pick, sub in the sometimes nba starter layman, and work to develop vanderbilt. yes, we actually ARE good enough - considering there's no savior sitting mid first round.

you want another 3/4 - i'd wait for our 33rd pick and take the other bey, tyler. he's a 6-7 218 tweener forward who is a defensive beast - but also a high energy guy who runs the court hard and is an opportunistic putback dunker - similar to toppin actually in that regard, but a better rebounder. started to show a bit of a 3ball this year - just 1 attempt per game at 42% - but for that matter, toppin only averaged something like 2.6 apg at 39%. here's a analysis of bey's O, which highlights his power and explosiveness - but understand that the real value with this guy is that his bread and butter is elite D.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm and i think you're going to have to hit a lucky pitch out of the park to expect a #16 pick (vassel, bey) to come out of college and clearly be better than culver. neither of them had the college career culver did - that's a lot of hoping going around if you're eyeballing saddiq bey and thinking "finally! that's the guy!"

i say start culver - play him with our best players, but sub frequently with both layman and vandy if needed. hell, i have no faith that vassell or bey would come in and be a better option than even vandy in that role. start the #6 overall pick, sub in the sometimes nba starter layman, and work to develop vanderbilt. yes, we actually ARE good enough - considering there's no savior sitting mid first round.

you want another 3/4 - i'd wait for our 33rd pick and take the other bey, tyler. he's a 6-7 218 tweener forward who is a defensive beast - but also a high energy guy who runs the court hard and is an opportunistic putback dunker - similar to toppin actually in that regard, but a better rebounder. started to show a bit of a 3ball this year - just 1 attempt per game at 42% - but for that matter, toppin only averaged something like 2.6 apg at 39%. here's a analysis of bey's O, which highlights his power and explosiveness - but understand that the real value with this guy is that his bread and butter is elite D.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
I want Culver to stay for a couple reasons. First I think he ends up a top multi position defender. So no one who has any say will give a shit but once the losers are fired it would be nice to have more than one or 2 who can defend. Second I think we will be selling super low on him if we move him which because we are so stupid I am convinced we will. And it will be a salary dump for all intents and purposes.

If we do keep him I don't want him starting at the 3. I want him backing up 3 spots. I want him as a defensive cooler at 3 spots. But again...........pipe dream. Defense. :lol: But if the mentally challenged can figure it out he would be awesome in that role. And that's why I want a bigger defender to start at the 3. I think there is a legit shot that Okoro is one who drops on draft night. He's one of those guys where he needs one workout hitting his shots to get a team to believe he'll be able to score. There might not be any. He's got plenty of athleticism to score whether he becomes a great shooter or not. But he is straight up Artest with better athleticism on D.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't think he'll be there - but yeah, if okoro drops to 16 TAKE HIM. but be prepared for another nonshooter. i think that's the curse of being a Twolf with a last name that begins with O-K-O.

and oh my - i just figured out that works for okongwu as well. we could do it! a lineup with okongwu, okoro and okogie!

it would at its least be OK.

and think of the marketing potential. dress em up like cowboys - Shoot Out (or maybe Non Shoot Out) At The OK Corral! i'm liking this.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 pm i don't think he'll be there - but yeah, if okoro drops to 16 TAKE HIM. but be prepared for another nonshooter. i think that's the curse of being a Twolf with a last name that begins with O-K-O.

and oh my - i just figured out that works for okongwu as well. we could do it! a lineup with okongwu, okoro and okogie!

it would at its least be OK.

and think of the marketing potential. dress em up like cowboys - Shoot Out (or maybe Non Shoot Out) At The OK Corral! i'm liking this.
See, I don't give 2 shits if he can't hit a 3. But that's just me bored and taking your here;'s what I'd do route. We both know we aren't taking a defender who doesn't hit 3's.

And I would kill to see a lineup with those 3 O's. Kill everyone twice. But you should lay your money on Nesmith because he hit 52% from 3 and I don't think the idiot would look at one thing past that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well at least i see that nesmith is supposed to have defensive potential. but i don't trust him at all. 52% from 3 in a tiny sample? man, people fall too much in love with that. he obviously was in a zone - but what zone will reality be for him in the nba? if we went by that guideline, then isaiah joe should have come out last year and he'd have been a lottery pick.

i think the worry with okoro is not that he's a poor 3 pt shooter, but that anything outside of stuff at the rim, his shot is suspect. and i still like the value of tyler bey in a same role later on in the draft.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am well at least i see that nesmith is supposed to have defensive potential. but i don't trust him at all. 52% from 3 in a tiny sample? man, people fall too much in love with that. he obviously was in a zone - but what zone will reality be for him in the nba? if we went by that guideline, then isaiah joe should have come out last year and he'd have been a lottery pick.

i think the worry with okoro is not that he's a poor 3 pt shooter, but that anything outside of stuff at the rim, his shot is suspect. and i still like the value of tyler bey in a same role later on in the draft.
You know I love Tyler Bey but he isn't the same type defender. Okoro is a once in a generation guy like Artest or Rodman that can not just guard at least 4 spots they can shut them down. Bey is a good defender who can switch and can guard a lot of 3's and 4's but he ain't that. And I'll tell you this. You will not get the entirety of it on highlights. You have to just watch him every play for a whole game which I did more than once. I love guys who defend. And watching the effect he had was amazing. The shots he affected without a stat. The guys he made dribble off their foot without a stat. It was legit like every 3rd possession he was majorly effecting the other teams offense.

But again I don't think the idiot is smart enough to even know you can effect the other teams of team's offense. He just thinks you shoot from 2 feet farther out. Like what 5 weeks to the lotto? Can't wait to see where we are so I can know immediately who everyone will pick..................except for us. Because I don't speak idiot.
Finger Licking Good

Post by Finger Licking Good »

Culver's value is super low right now. It'd be nuts to trade him unless he was a piece in a bigger trade.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Finger Licking Good wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm Culver's value is super low right now. It'd be nuts to trade him unless he was a piece in a bigger trade.
That's why I am betting on the idiot to do it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the only way trading culver would make any sense right now is A) if you knew with 100% certainty that obi toppin was going to be on the board at 11. and B) you could swing a trade with san antonio - their 11th pick for our 16th plus culver. then, C). if we also knew with complete certainty that either ball or edwards would be there at 3 for us. then moving culver might be an option. if we knew with 100% certainty that we could come out of the first round with either edwards or ball - plus toppin - and it would take sacrificing culver, then i'd maybe do it. but what are the chances of all those parts coming together?

and even then - doesn't culver check a few boxes that we need? hard worker, does the little things, started hitting his 3s the second half of the year, plays good D. edwards would probably push beasley to the bench - and if not, it's kind of a wasted top 3 pick, right? and so far he's shown that he's a dynamic scorer, but somewhat a volume shooter. and ball, for all his good points, is a poor shooter. best course IMO is just to develop our first pick from last season according to his strengths.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'm not sure if this is impressive or insanity... I'm so dejected and turned off about basketball right now. Supposed to watching the NCAA tournament right now, and NBA, and have AAU practice, and just enjoying the end of the high school season. Just feels like it's never going to come back.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

gotta lean into it and power up, j2j. you know the saying - "when the going gets tough, the tough talk hoops".
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 pm gotta lean into it and power up, j2j. you know the saying - "when the going gets tough, the tough talk hoops".
I took part in a bunch of coaching clinics and roundtables via web conference this week. Or at least tried to. In the middle of listening to Josh Pastner talk defense, my third, I just gave up. Turned it off and cleaned the house. Just couldn't anymore. I need to get in a gym, soon.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 pm gotta lean into it and power up, j2j. you know the saying - "when the going gets tough, the tough talk hoops".
I took part in a bunch of coaching clinics and roundtables via web conference this week. Or at least tried to. In the middle of listening to Josh Pastner talk defense, my third, I just gave up. Turned it off and cleaned the house. Just couldn't anymore. I need to get in a gym, soon.
Garbage can plus notebook = basketball.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Hoop Dreams! You have officially made Thrillkill's do not butcher horribly list. I'm a little tense with the no sports. I really needed that. Reminds me of what I said after the horrible botch that lead to us picking Culver. That I see him as a bigger version of Corey Brewer with a better handle. No one was happy with that but I loved Brew and his contribution was underrated. So much of that vid is straight up Brew. Makes me much less anxious about getting a 3. Of course you know how the idiot and his boy value D.

Thanks again. Really REALLY needed that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 pm
Hoop Dreams! You have officially made Thrillkill's do not butcher horribly list. I'm a little tense with the no sports. I really needed that. Reminds me of what I said after the horrible botch that lead to us picking Culver. That I see him as a bigger version of Corey Brewer with a better handle. No one was happy with that but I loved Brew and his contribution was underrated. So much of that vid is straight up Brew. Makes me much less anxious about getting a 3. Of course you know how the idiot and his boy value D.

i don't see how you can watch this and not get a little excited about culver's quick hands, length, anticipation - and how that can play out for us defensively going forward. i really want to see him come in just a bit stronger this season and get a real shot at the starting 3 slot.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 pm

i don't see how you can watch this and not get a little excited about culver's quick hands, length, anticipation - and how that can play out for us defensively going forward. i really want to see him come in just a bit stronger this season and get a real shot at the starting 3 slot.
I just love the back up then use the length move that Brew always used. Just stay in front. Can back up, just have hands up or the quick reach every play. Man I hope he's lifting and eating. Just like 10 lbs of muscle and he's a defensive beast. I'm jumping on your starting him at the 3 bandwagon. Screw using his awesome versatility off the bench. We need his D in the starting lineup more. Mac makes his importance to the bench less now.

Will we be smart enough to start him and use his D? Not going by last year when every time he or Okogie got on a role they were benched for each other for some idiot fueled reason.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that ability of his to strip the ball before an opponent gets into his shot was really evident. he's got a talent for it - and it's kind of unusual. it's like he's been trained to not go for the block, but rather for the pre-block - which is maybe more valuable because there's more control after the strip to come away with the ball than there is on a block.

i think he'll get a decent shot at that starting 3 spot. rosas would be thrilled to have culver NOT be perceived as a fail - he was his first pick as GM, so he's got to still be on board to make it look like a success. so i think there's a chance he could be our starting 3. and he'd be a great complement IMO to the rest of the starters, so why the hell not?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm Culver just simply isn't very good. You can fix his free throws and then it's off to something else to fix with his game.

I would like to see him traded in the off season.
I'd be against trading Jarrett Culver. I loved the pick when we made it and liked watching him in college.
He's too young to give up on this early. His best games are still in front of him.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 am that ability of his to strip the ball before an opponent gets into his shot was really evident. he's got a talent for it - and it's kind of unusual. it's like he's been trained to not go for the block, but rather for the pre-block - which is maybe more valuable because there's more control after the strip to come away with the ball than there is on a block.

i think he'll get a decent shot at that starting 3 spot. rosas would be thrilled to have culver NOT be perceived as a fail - he was his first pick as GM, so he's got to still be on board to make it look like a success. so i think there's a chance he could be our starting 3. and he'd be a great complement IMO to the rest of the starters, so why the hell not?
He's a G and grew late. He was never going for the blocks that others his height and length would have. And that also lead to the other Brew move of standing there with your hands up. Against similar sized guys it's a pain. Against smaller guys he actually gets a lot of blocks without ever moving.

I'd love to think the idiot is smart enough to know his ego would be fed more by playing him and letting him grow. But we know how he values D. We know what happened every time Culver got in a rhythm last year. I think there's at least as good a chance he moves him and gets robbed by a team that can see how clearly and obviously his defense stands out.

I don't however think he's a great complement to the rest of the starters. His ability to handle gets negated by Russell's tendency to overhandle. I don't like the thought of him standing at the 3 line in the corner. What he is is necessary entirely because of his D. Would love to see him, Obi, and Beas opportunity breaking and playing D. Then playing half court ball with Towns and Russell like we so obviously should. What have we done so far that in any way resembles the right way? Out of truly blind and stupid luck we may end up with a top flight multi spot defender with actual offensive skills. Odds we think that has any value at all?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm Culver just simply isn't very good. You can fix his free throws and then it's off to something else to fix with his game.

I would like to see him traded in the off season.
I'd be against trading Jarrett Culver. I loved the pick when we made it and liked watching him in college.
He's too young to give up on this early. His best games are still in front of him.
Trade him now and you get robbed. Know why? Because the guys who actually value defense are much smarter than those who don't. If you think Rosas had any idea who he was when he drafted him you are crazy. All he was was the guy in the mock he used that was rated high. Loved how many thought that Rosas intentionally drafted a 20% 3 shooter who couldn't hit FT's. Maybe he took him because of how much he value's D. :lol:

I would put Cluver succeeding and being that nasty defender we need at a distant 3rd behind he gets traded for little and he gets wasted on our bench. Rosas would trade Rodman for a low 2nd because he won't miss 5 3's a game.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:40 am If you think Rosas had any idea who he was when he drafted him you are crazy.
That is not the reason I'm crazy.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Your reaction is hilarious because it's very similar to mine when I watched it. I clicked on the video hoping to see something that would make me feel better about our small forward situation and it definitely helped! Culver has some defensive chops. He needs get stronger not only for defensive purposes, but finishing at the rim offensively. We definitely need to start and play Culver significant minutes. Let him make mistakes and develop. I have been flirting with Isaac Okoro with our first pick because I think he has shades of Jimmy Butler and Andre Iguodala in his game, but now I think I'm all in on getting a big that would compliment KAT.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Your reaction is hilarious because it's very similar to mine when I watched it. I clicked on the video hoping to see something that would make me feel better about our small forward situation and it definitely helped! Culver has some defensive chops. He needs get stronger not only for defensive purposes, but finishing at the rim offensively. We definitely need to start and play Culver significant minutes. Let him make mistakes and develop. I have been flirting with Isaac Okoro with our first pick because I think he has shades of Jimmy Butler and Andre Iguodala in his game, but now I think I'm all in on getting a big that would compliment KAT.
Clarke was that guy has year and all they had to do was stay put.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

When you are a top 6 pick and your being touted for "Work ethic", you ain't that good.

We have another one of these guys in Okogie.

I think this fan base has become enamored with guys who actually give a shit no matter how little talent they have after having to watch Love, Towns and Wiggins as their franchise stars over the years.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master