Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vonleh In the Doghouse?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

Vonleh In the Doghouse?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Ever since he complained about his role and minutes, he hasn’t entered one game since.

He hasn’t played since the Wizards loss, not one minute and he’s been healthy.
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Vonleh In the Doghouse?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Vonleh turned down a multiyear offer to sign a one-year deal with the Wolves in part because he believed the lack of depth in the frontcourt would lead to big minutes and help him rebuild his value for next summer. That hasn’t materialized early in the season, but he said on Thursday he is rolling with the punches.

“Obviously, I want to play more, but it’s an adjustment,” Vonleh said. “I was used to playing a lot of minutes last year, and coming here and having to adjust to playing more limited minutes, I’m a selfless person. I just try to approach it as professional basketball players.”

Then came the frustration of Friday.

Vonleh played 25.3 minutes per game for the Knicks last season but has seen that cut in half early this year. But after playing less than 10 minutes against the Wizards and watching the rest of his teammates get shredded in the paint, Vonleh left the locker room and ran sprints on the court in nothing but tights.

The message was clear: Vonleh was showing everyone in the arena he had plenty of energy to burn.

And both players know that it is still early and things can change quickly.

“If we’re winning, you can’t really complain too much about anything,” Vonleh said. “If we’re winning, just got to keep sticking with it and pushing through and then eventually, whatever you want will come to fruition.”

They didn’t win on Friday, and it’s no coincidence the first signs of frustration started to surface.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Kind of a bummer a month in. See how Ryan deals with this.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'd mentioned this in one of the game threads. Ryan dropping the hammer. Bitch about the porridge we give you, we take your porridge!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

You talk shit in the media when you have a super young rookie head coach, and you run the risk that he's going to use this opportunity to show everyone how tough he is.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

What do expect from a guy named Noah. (excluding that guy that built an ark)
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:05 pm What do expect from a guy named Noah. (excluding that guy that built an ark)
It might be 40 days and 40 nights before Noah sees the court again.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

All the bigs are pissed.

I hope Ryan and Rosas find a way to resolve it.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Not a fan of Vonleh. Don’t dislike him either.

I couldn’t care less if he plays or doesn’t. He doesn’t block shots and isn’t a very good shooter.

He hustles, is physical, and is a decent rebounder.

That all being said, if he plays, fine. If he doesn’t, also fine.
Last edited by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think they can get by without him. Prime candidate to trade?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:03 pm All the bigs are pissed.

I hope Ryan and Rosas find a way to resolve it.

By pulling their heads out of their asses?

Didn't like the signing but Vonleh played pretty well so....................don't play him.

Gorgs finished the season strong under Ryan and plays great every game he gets minutes so........ no minutes!

Bell is the freak defender Towns really.................SHUT UP! No play for you.

"Yeah, it's really hard to match up with their size" -Ryan pussy ass Saunders .
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

vonleh's not undersized. his combine measurements (when he was 19 - he's probably bigger now) were 6-9.5 in shoes, 247 lbs (he's listed at 257 now), with a wingspan of over 7-4 and some of the biggest hands they'd ever seen at the time.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 pm vonleh's not undersized. his combine measurements (when he was 19 - he's probably bigger now) were 6-9.5 in shoes, 247 lbs (he's listed at 257 now), with a wingspan of over 7-4 and some of the biggest hands they'd ever seen at the time.
Who said he was undersized?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Vonleh plays solid minutes, and his knuckles drag on the floor when he runs. He swings his hips in the post, and creates 2 feet of space. Dude is a load. He and G Funk should keep their three point attempts to the corners, whenever possible. They are matchup bench guys, and very solid.

Bell is not good. Still. He's like an Anthony Randolph kind of guy. You want him to be so good, but he's just not. He's also fragile. He gets hurt never playing, which is weird.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 am
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 pm vonleh's not undersized. his combine measurements (when he was 19 - he's probably bigger now) were 6-9.5 in shoes, 247 lbs (he's listed at 257 now), with a wingspan of over 7-4 and some of the biggest hands they'd ever seen at the time.
Who said he was undersized?
a poster a couple ahead of my comment. think it was chrispaulgeorgehill, but can't be certain. although i noticed he's edited that comment twice. hmmm. should have quoted it. anyway, vonleh isn't undersized.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

wish they could work him into the rotation - and use him to his advantages. the other night against utah would have been perfect IMO. apparently KAT was so schnockered that night because gobert stayed with him on the perimeter and didn't let him get going. so... that would mean the world's best shotblocker was often NOT in the paint - which would have left a low post load like vonleh (6-9.5 257 lbs huge wingspan) guarded by the likes of bojan (6-8 216 and a poor defender), joe ingles (a good defender but still undersized at 6-7 220) and royce oneale (a very good defender, but still very undersized at 6-5 227.) these are the moments i wish we would at least explore the possibilities.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:14 pm wish they could work him into the rotation - and use him to his advantages. the other night against utah would have been perfect IMO. apparently KAT was so schnockered that night because gobert stayed with him on the perimeter and didn't let him get going. so... that would mean the world's best shotblocker was often NOT in the paint - which would have left a low post load like vonleh (6-9.5 257 lbs huge wingspan) guarded by the likes of bojan (6-8 216 and a poor defender), joe ingles (a good defender but still undersized at 6-7 220) and royce oneale (a very good defender, but still very undersized at 6-5 227.) these are the moments i wish we would at least explore the possibilities.
Any of the available bigs would haveceorked fine in that situation, there have been a few other games where you could say the exact same thing. Why not adapt to what Teams are giving you when you are getting beat. I always thought the coaches got paid to make adjustments to take advantages that other teams give them.

I get the Timberwolves are adhering to the System and making other teams adapt to them. Well Utah and some others have adapted and beaten the Wolves at their game. At that point do you keep running into the wall or do you wise up and attack an opening they are giving you instead, especially when the Wolves have players that are designed for it.

Don’t be so predictable, and put yourself in a box.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:21 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:14 pm wish they could work him into the rotation - and use him to his advantages. the other night against utah would have been perfect IMO. apparently KAT was so schnockered that night because gobert stayed with him on the perimeter and didn't let him get going. so... that would mean the world's best shotblocker was often NOT in the paint - which would have left a low post load like vonleh (6-9.5 257 lbs huge wingspan) guarded by the likes of bojan (6-8 216 and a poor defender), joe ingles (a good defender but still undersized at 6-7 220) and royce oneale (a very good defender, but still very undersized at 6-5 227.) these are the moments i wish we would at least explore the possibilities.
Any of the available bigs would haveceorked fine in that situation, there have been a few other games where you could say the exact same thing. Why not adapt to what Teams are giving you when you are getting beat. I always thought the coaches got paid to make adjustments to take advantages that other teams give them.

I get the Timberwolves are adhering to the System and making other teams adapt to them. Well Utah and some others have adapted and beaten the Wolves at their game. At that point do you keep running into the wall or do you wise up and attack an opening they are giving you instead, especially when the Wolves have players that are designed for it.

Don’t be so predictable, and put yourself in a box.

We are a scouts day off. They all must love us.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I think it also squashes motivation in the bench. I am pretty sure vonleh and bell were probably both thinking "ahem... Pretty sure i could help right now."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:57 pm I think it also squashes motivation in the bench. I am pretty sure vonleh and bell were probably both thinking "ahem... Pretty sure i could help right now."
Well that's just stupid. All they need to do is call themselves 2 guards and learn how to go 0-5 from 3 every night. Mandate says that gets you a guaranteed 82 games of 30 minutes.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the graham thing is actually a little funny - if you can put yourself in a box in a corner of the room and pretend you don't care. i mean, going into this season, i was really happy about his signing - seemed like a solid addition - except i was worried that he'd rot on the bench and never get any PT. who knew he would instead be christened The Steel Frame Around Which The Entire Starting Five Hangs? (he of the 33% from the field and 18% from three).

just start playing the bigs a little, huh please?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Graham was apparently super good in training camp and preseason. We haven't seen enough of that transfer over. Let him go back to the bench with a little less pressure and then we can watch him perform and reevaluate after some sample size.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

like i said, i'm really glad we picked him up. just didn't know he'd be such an important cog as to prevent other guys from getting minutes in the right situations.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:10 pm the graham thing is actually a little funny - if you can put yourself in a box in a corner of the room and pretend you don't care. i mean, going into this season, i was really happy about his signing - seemed like a solid addition - except i was worried that he'd rot on the bench and never get any PT. who knew he would instead be christened The Steel Frame Around Which The Entire Starting Five Hangs? (he of the 33% from the field and 18% from three).

I was pissed. I did not see how he could get any PT and wanted his spot to go to a young big.

Silly me not knowing he is a young big and our cemented in the lineup starting PF.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am Graham was apparently super good in training camp and preseason. We haven't seen enough of that transfer over. Let him go back to the bench with a little less pressure and then we can watch him perform and reevaluate after some sample size.
He had one little stretch in one year where he could hit the 3 and the Moron decided this was his great move because he can be the 3 and D that his D and D game told him was important. Didn't say anything about making them I guess.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

YBBR wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am Graham was apparently super good in training camp and preseason. We haven't seen enough of that transfer over. Let him go back to the bench with a little less pressure and then we can watch him perform and reevaluate after some sample size.
Agree with this. He might be good for 10-15 mins but expecting him to play 30 mins and be Tony Allen for us is a bit much.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:39 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:10 pm the graham thing is actually a little funny - if you can put yourself in a box in a corner of the room and pretend you don't care. i mean, going into this season, i was really happy about his signing - seemed like a solid addition - except i was worried that he'd rot on the bench and never get any PT. who knew he would instead be christened The Steel Frame Around Which The Entire Starting Five Hangs? (he of the 33% from the field and 18% from three).

I was pissed. I did not see how he could get any PT and wanted his spot to go to a young big.

Silly me not knowing he is a young big and our cemented in the lineup starting PF.
we did pick up three young bigs - vonleh, bell and reid. considering that KBD showed some flashes last year - plus picking up layman who can also do a little small ball 4, i thought we were making real headway with stocking our shelves with young players who could play the 5, the 4 or both. graham is young enough (26) that i just thought he'd be a nice addition to our bench wings, considering his D - so yeah, i was happy with picking up a cheap graham.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Feel like this dude is gonna be released or traded for a protected 2nd rounder at any moment. Very short leash with the start tonight.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:56 pm Feel like this dude is gonna be released or traded for a protected 2nd rounder at any moment. Very short leash with the start tonight.
To be fair, he was brutal.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
j2j

Post by j2j »

Vonleh was horseshit tonight. He's had games where he's been great. Seems the more he tries to do the worse it ends up.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***