Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** 8-5 Utah Jazz vs 8-6 MSP Wolves - 7pm FSN ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: *** 8-5 Utah Jazz vs 8-6 MSP Wolves - 7pm FSN ***

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm
LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm Is our roster at 15 though? I don't think we need to cut anyone as we have the spot open.
We dont have a spot open.
Are two-ways considered roster spots? I am really confused as to how it all works now.

We have 5 freaking rookies in our side, FIVE. That's insane, and awesome, and scary.
We have 15 players under contract, plus two 2-way players for a total of 17, which is the max.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm Fantastic shooting. What can you do?
Maybe not take a shot 45 times that you shoot 30% on?
Should have got KAT working inside that game. Jazz had a mission to keep KAT from shooting 3’s. KAT needs to go work inside when that happens and then work his way back outside.

Such a waste.
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 pm What is everyone's assessment of Covington this season so far?
I'm a fan. Couple minor complaints, but overall I'm happy.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 pm
LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:18 pm

We dont have a spot open.
Are two-ways considered roster spots? I am really confused as to how it all works now.

We have 5 freaking rookies in our side, FIVE. That's insane, and awesome, and scary.
We have 15 players under contract, plus two 2-way players for a total of 17, which is the max.
Yep, you are correct sir. Don't know why I thought we kept a spot open.
Last edited by LordNu on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 pm What is everyone's assessment of Covington this season so far?
I thought he started off rough. Not making as much defensive impact as usual. Having trouble finishing and taking pretty questionable 3's.

I think he's turned some of that around and he's starting to find his groove again. Defensively he's really flashed his team defensive IQ that makes him so dangerous in passing lanes and helping.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

He's an obvious 3 playing 4 because the oblivious 2 and their terrible mandate say so.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:30 pm
I thought he started off rough. Not making as much defensive impact as usual. Having trouble finishing and taking pretty questionable 3's.

I think he's turned some of that around and he's starting to find his groove again. Defensively he's really flashed his team defensive IQ that makes him so dangerous in passing lanes and helping.
He was so devastating last season, but he didn't start very strong. Good that he is coming about, as he is supposed to be our third best players (and trade piece for Russell).
JoeBagO'Donuts

Post by JoeBagO'Donuts »

Only thing worse than the outcome, the postgame show.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Bad shooting night. Bummer.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I think Utah is going to be a top 4 team in the West at the end of the season.

Better team won.

That said, if I were an NBA player, I might just see if I could ask out the blonde female ref tonight.....
j2j

Post by j2j »

JoeBagO'Donuts wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:32 pm Only thing worse than the outcome, the postgame show.
Final buzzer and change the channel. :lol:

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Yeah, his weak side defense is still fantastic. I think it's one of the reasons they can actually give up some size and still get away with playing him at the 4. I'd just rather see it be a short-term rather than long-term thing.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

JoeBagO'Donuts wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:32 pm Only thing worse than the outcome, the postgame show.
Sabo and Lynch make me want to change the channel, even after wins.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Yeah, his weak side defense is still fantastic. I think it's one of the reasons they can actually give up some size and still get away with playing him at the 4. I'd just rather see it be a short-term rather than long-term thing.
This. Covington is simply not the same player at the 4, he is less effective. When players like Layman, Graham and Martin look better than him on the floor, I think there is a problem. You can see him on the floor and on the bench, and it’s easy to read him......he ain’t happy.

Continue to use him in this fashion, and trading him will be far less painful. At the same time though with how he is playing, his value on the court and on the trade market are not being maximized.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Meh game, Wiggs and Towns foul trouble kinda had us behind the 8 ball early
j2j

Post by j2j »

Cov is statistically better this year than last year while playing much more at the 4.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm Cov is statistically better this year than last year while playing much more at the 4.
Eh?? Really?

Looking it up, PER 36 he would be, playing 7 less minutes.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm

This. Covington is simply not the same player at the 4, he is less effective. When players like Layman, Graham and Martin look better than him on the floor, I think there is a problem. You can see him on the floor and on the bench, and it’s easy to read him......he ain’t happy.

Continue to use him in this fashion, and trading him will be far less painful. At the same time though with how he is playing, his value on the court and on the trade market are not being maximized.

This is always who has been. He's a average starter and a very good role player, nothing more. Ask D H who watched him all through his Philly career. He's been way over hyped here. He played very well in his short stint last year before getting hurt. Wolves fans saw that tiny sample size and really overrated him. He was never going to sustain that play.

It was an atrocious trade.

I would have no problem trading him for something decent.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 pm

This is always who has been. He's a average starter and a very good role player, nothing more. Ask D H who watched him all through his Philly career. He's been way over hyped here. He played very well in his short stint last year before getting hurt. Wolves fans saw that tiny sample size and really overrated him. He was never going to sustain that play.

He may be.

He is still out of position here.

He is coming back from sustained time off due to injury, he even ended up seeking mental help due to depression from not being able to come back fast from the injury. On top of that he came back to play a position he hasn’t played in quite a while, and not the position he established and focused his game around and gained NBA notoriety for. If I was him and had to watch Graham and Martin play nightly in a position I believed I was far better at, I probably wouldn’t be the happiest guy in the world if I was being played out of place to allow those guys to play that spot.

No he doesn’t look the same and anyone with eyes can see it. How bad would it hurt this Team to move him back to the 3 and get him his mojo back? It’s doesn’t feel like what he is providing at the 4 right now couldn’t be provided adequately by a few other players (Martin, Layman, Diop and Bell - others?) on the Team. Especially if you consider how much more he could provide at the 3 than the players currently playing there.

He was a clear difference maker and a presence on the court last season when he played, this year he doesn’t look like that guy, and it doesn’t even look close.

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

He may be.

He is coming back from sustained time off due to injury, he even ended up seeking mental help due to depression from not being able to come back fast from the injury. On top of that he came back to play a position he hasn’t played in quite a while, and not the position he established and focused his game around and gained NBA notoriety for. If I was him and had to watch Graham and Martin play nightly in a position I believed I was far better at, I probably wouldn’t be the happiest guy in the world if I was being played out of place to allow those guys to play that spot.

No he doesn’t look the same and anyone with eyes can see it. How bad would it hurt this Team to move him back to the 3 and get him his mojo back? It’s doesn’t feel like what he is providing at the 4 right now couldn’t be provided adequately by a few other players (Martin, Layman, Diop and Bell - others?) on the Team. Especially if you consider how much more he could provide at the 3 than the players currently playing there.

He was a clear difference maker and a presence on the court last season when he played, this year he doesn’t look like that guy, and it doesn’t even look close.

As someone else pointed out to you... His numbers are almost identical to last years. The seasons he played before in Philly are almost identical also.

This is who he is.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

He may be.

As someone else pointed out to you... His numbers are almost identical to last years. The seasons he played before in Philly are almost identical also.

This is who he is.
#’s and statistics (although someone else pointed out a problem with those posted #’s. It doesn’t tell the story on the value he added to the team at all when he was on the floor last season. He was an X Factor and a clear spark, this season he is not.

You can’t say it’s the same simply for the fact, he is out of position.
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:24 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm Cov is statistically better this year than last year while playing much more at the 4.
Eh?? Really?

Looking it up, PER 36 he would be, playing 7 less minutes.
Ryan seems to have placed a greater emphasis on minute management.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Joda and RT did not watch the game, Bob was fucking everywhere on defense last night and the only spark we had during the second quarter. He was never supposed to be a scorer, 4th option more or less on offense. Without him, it's a 20+ point loss and we are never tied with them all game.

We lost because of lethargic Towns and shooting 50% on free throws, 11-21. Humm, let me see 21 minus 11, hey, that's 10 points. What did we lose by? 8. Yep, those might have helped.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Graham, Culver & Wiggins combining for 24 3's is not a recipe for success.
Let's get Tropical
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:40 am Graham, Culver & Wiggins combining for 24 3's is not a recipe for success.
Culver and Graham's three balls are brutal.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

didn't see the game. so i'm only boxscoring here. but bojan with 30? how'd that happen? if he wasn't cov's primary responsibility, who had him? and if he was just getting hot and not covered by our all league defender - any ideas why the adjustment wasn't made?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 am didn't see the game. so i'm only boxscoring here. but bojan with 30? how'd that happen? if he wasn't cov's primary responsibility, who had him? and if he was just getting hot and not covered by our all league defender - any ideas why the adjustment wasn't made?
Utah moves the ball very well. Many times it landed in his hands for open looks. Also Rudy inside was disruptive and he knocked a few rebounds back out and into his hands before the Wolves could set up. He is also pretty damn good.

Wolves had no fight inside the paint yesterday, also their free throw shooting was and has been bad.

Last edited by jodaman01 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

This is what I thought we'd get, and I like it a lot.
Spoiler:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Where did that come from?
j2j

Post by j2j »

TrueBlue wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:11 pm Image

This is what I thought we'd get, and I like it a lot.
Those are hawt.