Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by j2j »

Let's see who ya got, internet scouts.

Watched the first half of Duke vs Kansas last night and it was just shit basketball so I turned it off. Matthew Hurt can shoot, but can't play defense worth a damn. He'll be back at Duke next year. Tre Jones is an absolute joy to watch, but he'll probably be back. Both teams looked sloppy as all hell. I expect perfection in game 1.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am Let's see who ya got, internet scouts.

Watched the first half of Duke vs Kansas last night and it was just shit basketball so I turned it off. Matthew Hurt can shoot, but can't play defense worth a damn. He'll be back at Duke next year. Tre Jones is an absolute joy to watch, but he'll probably be back. Both teams looked sloppy as all hell. I expect perfection in game 1.
Both games were brutal. Just full on turnover and missed shot fest.

Jones was the only guy that stood out to me but I wasn't exactly paying close attention after a while. But he is one of the excellent defensive PG's I have my eye on. It is just an amazingly deep PG draft. I might very well take 2 of them if I'm the idiot Rosas. He will of course take two 2 guards. Mocks I have seen so far have Jones and Howard well into the 2nd round. And that is crazy. How do you not take one of them in the 2nd even if you took one high?
Style

Post by Style »

Last night was my first time ever watching Hurt. He can shoot it, but he's going to live up to his name if he keeps falling all over the floor like he did last night.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
j2j

Post by j2j »

Cole Anthony set the record for most points in a Tar Heel debut tonight at 34. #1 pick right there.
Last edited by j2j on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

THe Kentucky Michigan St game was seriously some of the worst basketball I've seen played in a while. New year and such, but damn it was ugly.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:46 pm Cole Anthony set the record for most points in a Tar Heel debut tonight at 34. #1 pick right there.
Definitely the #1 coming in and that doesn't hurt.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

This is far too early.
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 pm This is far too early.
It's 9:40pm here in Minnesota.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 pm
You really should be in bed, work night and all.
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 pm
You really should be in bed, work night and all.
You ain't lying.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

NCAA rules James Wiseman ineligible for Memphis.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 pm NCAA rules James Wiseman ineligible for Memphis.
He'll play tonight after a temporary restraining order was filed. Not sure how many games it will last.

I haven't read why yet

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Obi Toppin looking like a top 5 pick the last 2 nights.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think we have to go PG in a draft this PG deep. what's the word on the redhead who plays for arizona? smallish, 6-2 180 - but supposed to have exceptional athleticism (the term human highlight reel was indeed used) and i see that in a small sample (6 games) he's hitting 57%/48%/81%. i think "pure shooter" has to be at the top of our list. and... if you look at how some of the recent collegiate pure shooter types have been able to carry that over in the pros and at pro range - there's been more good than bad.

doh! forgot to mention his name - nico mannion.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm i think we have to go PG in a draft this PG deep. what's the word on the redhead who plays for arizona? smallish, 6-2 180 - but supposed to have exceptional athleticism (the term human highlight reel was indeed used) and i see that in a small sample (6 games) he's hitting 57%/48%/81%. i think "pure shooter" has to be at the top of our list. and... if you look at how some of the recent collegiate pure shooter types have been able to carry that over in the pros and at pro range - there's been more good than bad.
Well, you can tell that I am beat down by the idiot and his mandate by the fact I have watched 15 college games and posted once about them, It really sucks to have to watch a great player who fits a need and ........ nope! Can you shoot a 3. All that matters. It sucks. Although the idiot traded a good shooting 4 to move up for the only poor shooting wing/PG in the lotto so who knows.

But I disagree with the translation of 3 shooting. Nothing fails to translate from college to pros more than 3 shooting. I argue with all the "modern NBA" fools that every year want some skinny 4 who doesn't rebound but he hit a couple college 3's and now he's a future "stretch 4". Defense and rebounding are the things that translate the best. Maybe one of these days the Wolves will figure out that you need them to win.

Haven't seen any of the currently ranked in the mid round PG's though.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

If we don’t trade for a PG, I want the wolves to draft Cassius Winston. Elite floor general and can shoot the 3.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Can Golden State get their “Tim Duncan” and return to a dynasty? Not as in a HOF PF necessarily, but an elite player that they get at the top oft he draft bc of their injury(ies). Would they do a PG and go small with curry, rookie, klay as a backcourt?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm i think we have to go PG in a draft this PG deep. what's the word on the redhead who plays for arizona? smallish, 6-2 180 - but supposed to have exceptional athleticism (the term human highlight reel was indeed used) and i see that in a small sample (6 games) he's hitting 57%/48%/81%. i think "pure shooter" has to be at the top of our list. and... if you look at how some of the recent collegiate pure shooter types have been able to carry that over in the pros and at pro range - there's been more good than bad.
Well, you can tell that I am beat down by the idiot and his mandate by the fact I have watched 15 college games and posted once about them, It really sucks to have to watch a great player who fits a need and ........ nope! Can you shoot a 3. All that matters. It sucks. Although the idiot traded a good shooting 4 to move up for the only poor shooting wing/PG in the lotto so who knows.

But I disagree with the translation of 3 shooting. Nothing fails to translate from college to pros more than 3 shooting. I argue with all the "modern NBA" fools that every year want some skinny 4 who doesn't rebound but he hit a couple college 3's and now he's a future "stretch 4". Defense and rebounding are the things that translate the best. Maybe one of these days the Wolves will figure out that you need them to win.

If you wanted defense and rebounding, Clarke was the guy to draft.

I would absolutely love to have him right now.

This team needs a PG next year. Culver isn't it and the Wolves already know that.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:16 am Can Golden State get their “Tim Duncan” and return to a dynasty? Not as in a HOF PF necessarily, but an elite player that they get at the top oft he draft bc of their injury(ies). Would they do a PG and go small with curry, rookie, klay as a backcourt?
Wiseman

C - Wiseman
PF - Draymond
SF - Klay
SG - DLo
PG - Curry
6th - Tears of their Western Conference Foes

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 am

If you wanted defense and rebounding, Clarke was the guy to draft.

I would absolutely love to have him right now.

This team needs a PG next year. Culver isn't it and the Wolves already know that.
Oh............the........Clarke guy.

Was that the guy I made 150,000 post about needing to draft? Yep that was him.

With the defense and the rebounding.

If only he could do the one and only thing in basketball that matters. Missing 3's.

Still not sure I get why that is.
Style

Post by Style »

Did anyone watch the MSU/Georgia game? I missed it, but saw some twitter clips of Edwards tearing it up. Would be cool to hear some insights on him. He seems destined for a pick much higher than ours. Send him East!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

here's a few examples from the past few years - jamal murray (41% college, 37% pros), furkan korkmaz (41%intl, 39% pros), buddy hield ( 39% C, 39% pro this year - 42% pro career), donovan mitchell (35% his final college season, 39% pros), luke kennard (38% C, 44% final college season, 40% pro career), svy mikhailiuk (44% final college season, 48% this year pro), devontae graham (41% C career, 41% Pro), landry shamet ( 44% college career, 41% pro career), donte divincenzo (38% C, 38% pro), kevin huerter (39% C, 39% P), tyler herro ( 36% C, 39% P), cam johnson (41% college career, 46% final year college, 42% pro).

obviously it's not 100% - there are plenty of examples of college shooters who struggle in the pros. trae young is still just a volume shooter, lauri markkanen is really struggling this year and is only a 35% 3baller in the pros, malik monk hasn't translated, damyean dotson looked promising as a pro - but now is having problems, we have yet to see what dylan windler brings - he's been injured.

BUT there are plenty examples - maybe more good than bad - where it works out.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

anybody been watching markus howard of marquette shred defenses lately? last two games he's scored 91 points! yikes. 46%/49%/88% for the year - and i think those stats don't include his 51 pt outburst the other night against USC (9 of 17 from three). i wonder if he might have an nba future after all, despite his size (maybe 5-11, probably shorter). the question has always been whether or not he'll be able to guard anyone - but with the game going smaller and faster and shootinger, i've got to think he'll find a way to make it work. if offenses are all hanging out at the three point line these days, that might mitigate some of the damage guards would do if instead they were posting up an inferior small defender like howard.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:19 am anybody been watching markus howard of marquette shred defenses lately? last two games he's scored 91 points! yikes. 46%/49%/88% for the year - and i think those stats don't include his 51 pt outburst the other night against USC (9 of 17 from three). i wonder if he might have an nba future after all, despite his size (maybe 5-11, probably shorter). the question has always been whether or not he'll be able to guard anyone - but with the game going smaller and faster and shootinger, i've got to think he'll find a way to make it work. if offenses are all hanging out at the three point line these days, that might mitigate some of the damage guards would do if instead they were posting up an inferior small defender like howard.
You know I am just obsessed with the guy. Howard is the exact reason you always sell off players you don't use and always make use of your 2nd round picks. Having draft capital to use to get a low 1st for a guy like Howard is huge. He may always be limited to a backup point on a top team but he will be the top backup in the league. I love the guy. Just like I always said with T. Young. I don't care how small he is. There is no one else who can do what he does and he is the 100% focus and still no one stops them. Guys like that can maybe be mitigated with NBA size but they don't fail.

And we really need a backup PG. I'm sold on Culver as the PG. Of course that's if the "brain trust" can let him play his game and figure out just how good we could be with his size at the point and an actual big at the 4. Getting the feeling now that our 1st will get traded along with RoCo because they are too stupid to play him at his actual position. If KBD continues on his path I'd be fine with it as lone as it isn't another waste an asset move by Rosas.

Right now the dream move (moves) for me would be sell off Teague/Layman/ Vonleh/Napier/Graham for anything I could use in the next draft. Anything. 2023 2nd like. Whatever we can pair with our 2nd to get back in the 1st for either Howard or one of the tons of great defensive PG's in this draft. Draft Obi Toppin with our pick and we have the big athletic all around 4 that can shoot 3's for the idiot. Then we can play big all game but still have shooting all over the floor.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i still have my doubts about howard - i think it dates back to some poor games i saw him play at the end of last year where he got exposed against bigger quicker defenders. just didn't get his shot off as easy and it showed in his percentages. clank after clank. but maybe he's figured out some adjustments.

right now, i'm keeping my eye on nico mannion. i think he's going to be good - and (it's early) but in our draft range. decent enough size, really good athletically, dishes at a high enough rate, really good shooter and competitive as hell. it's not just the red hair and white skin, but he kind of reminds me of the PG version of donte divincenzo that we were hoping he could be. looks like DD is going to mostly be an undersized wing - but maybe nico can be that PG version.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:42 pm i still have my doubts about howard - i think it dates back to some poor games i saw him play at the end of last year where he got exposed against bigger quicker defenders. just didn't get his shot off as easy and it showed in his percentages. clank after clank. but maybe he's figured out some adjustments.

right now, i'm keeping my eye on nico mannion. i think he's going to be good - and (it's early) but in our draft range. decent enough size, really good athletically, dishes at a high enough rate, really good shooter and competitive as hell. it's not just the red hair and white skin, but he kind of reminds me of the PG version of donte divincenzo that we were hoping he could be. looks like DD is going to mostly be an undersized wing - but maybe nico can be that PG version.
Don't think we are gonna go PG in the 1st anymore. Check that. I don't think we should. The idiot probably will. Look at the crazy depth in the 2nd round of any mock at PG. It's crazy. Everything from dynamic scorers the big athletes to nasty defenders. There are at least 6 guys I'd take in the 2nd over taking one in the 1st. I like Culver at the PG. I think he's twice as good there as he would be at the 2. Shooting will never be his forte. Bet he is great at using his size and length at the point. PG's can't get through him for the steal and he can always get that floater in their face. Wigs handling more not even so much of an issue for me. I trust Culver with the ball.

That gives us the opportunity to appease the idiot and still get to play size by drafting Obi with out first. An all around big like him moving RoCo to the 3 would be crazy good. But soon we are gona start hearing the who"s eventually on the move rumors. And RoCo and our 1st is a solid start to a deal if we are gonna do it. If it's a huge money hard to move player you can use Teague's expiring too.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i hope we don't do that. i'm fine with two max guys - especially if they are contributing at the high rate they have been this season. so, no - i don't want to add another high buck star... because... star.

would rather have a bunch of great accessory pieces like roco, culver, okogie, layman, KBD, bell, etc. and - as i've pointed out elsewhere - if we were to get a highly competitive PG like FVV (but not a maxish star) i'd be really happy. the nice thing about it is that it wouldn't handcuff you in terms of culver. i think he'd get plenty of PT in a system like that backing up FVV - but also playing both wing spots. if we're going with multiple guys who can be the "point" at any given time, that's one way to do it.

the other thing about having a bunch of effective "accessory" guys is that you honestly never know when one of them might break out and become truly great. siakam, harrell, dinwiddie, bogdanovic, ingram, brogdon, FVV, etc - are players who, up to a year ago, were considered little side dishes on their teams. take em or leave em. and now they're pretty indispensable.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:30 pm i hope we don't do that. i'm fine with two max guys - especially if they are contributing at the high rate they have been this season. so, no - i don't want to add another high buck star... because... star.

would rather have a bunch of great accessory pieces like roco, culver, okogie, layman, KBD, bell, etc. and - as i've pointed out elsewhere - if we were to get a highly competitive PG like FVV (but not a maxish star) i'd be really happy. the nice thing about it is that it wouldn't handcuff you in terms of culver. i think he'd get plenty of PT in a system like that backing up FVV - but also playing both wing spots. if we're going with multiple guys who can be the "point" at any given time, that's one way to do it.

the other thing about having a bunch of effective "accessory" guys is that you honestly never know when one of them might break out and become truly great. siakam, harrell, dinwiddie, bogdanovic, ingram, brogdon, FVV, etc - are players who, up to a year ago, were considered little side dishes on their teams. take em or leave em. and now they're pretty indispensable.
Well you know that's my philosophy as well. Have always laughed a the get 3 stars or you can't win thing. That shit has to happen organically. One of those stars has to be a home grown young and low paid guy.

But as to Culver I just can't watch another Wolves idiot move that is essentially well this guy is good so we have to take him and make him change his game or we have to take him and that other really good guys can just play another spot. It is reason #1 that we are shit most every year. We seem utterly incapable of identifying our own need and strengths, It is primarily Taylor's loser lotto mentality where he can be talked into upside or BPA or other absolutely stupid shit.

Culver is a glue guy. Likely always will be. He will always be better playing with better players. I see zero point in getting another PG to start and take shots from Wigs and Towns.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

If there is a PG better than Culver you take him.

We are in the business of acquiring talent.

We are not in the business of riding it out with the players we have. This is because we are have plenty of pieces that fit now and we aren’t as good as we can be yet, even if these players all hit their ceilings in the future.

You wouldn’t be able to pay them all even if they did hit their ceilings.

Get the most talented players at the cheapest prices you can.

Stay good.

The successful General Management of a team that wins in the playoffs is a cycle, not “we have X position covered by Y player so now the only way we get better at X position is Y player improves”.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Important to consider skillsets, not position labels.