Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:39 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 am

Otaru is awful. Forget the NBA. He’ll be lucky to play overseas.

Coffee is a long shot. I wouldn’t bet on him.

Told you noob. You need to continue to learn the game. Consistently wrong
NBA player in name only.

One two year contract on the end of the Clippers bench doesn’t mean much.

As I said, he can look forward to playing overseas.
A NBA player in name is a NBA player. The Clippers offered him a second year 2 way deal. The NBA roster is the steepest pyramid in professional sports and their professional minor leagues are still underdeveloped. I am not a huge "One of Us" type of fan, but why trash the guy. What are you, racist?

But you are right, Coffey will probably end up playing professional basketball in a foreign league and have a very good living doing it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:35 pm

NBA player in name only.

A NBA player in name is a NBA player. The Clippers offered him a second year 2 way deal. The NBA roster is the steepest pyramid in professional sports and their professional minor leagues are still underdeveloped. I am not a huge "One of Us" type of fan, but why trash the guy. What are you, racist?

But you are right, Coffey will probably end up playing professional basketball in a foreign league and have a very good living doing it.
totally agree.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Here’s the thing with that dipshit. He’ll pop off and parade around anything he can kinda-sorta deem himself to be right for, no matter how minuscule, but omit anything he was wrong about.

Yeah, Coffey’s got a spot on the Clips, but he fails to also mention that he compared the dude to Ben f’ing Simmons.

Yeah, Oturu’s also there with Coffey, but Fade assured us all he’d be a sure fire 1st rounder.

He also thought Murph would cut it as Gibson’s replacement. Dude couldn’t even make it out of summer league.

He’s basically that degenerate acquaintance that pops up every so often with “Dude, I totally nailed that long shot bet. Check out that return!” while simultaneously hiding the stack of bets he was so wrong about.
Last edited by SHAFA on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

What Shafa said.

And congrats on your two year NBA pine deal, Daniel. If you’re reading this.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:35 pm

NBA player in name only.

Why? Why go there?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Because that’s the way he is. ;)
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:46 pm Because that’s the way he is. ;)
Seems to be how it is done, right?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:06 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:46 pm Because that’s the way he is. ;)
Seems to be how it is done, right?
Not for me. No. I’m not racist. For example I don’t bring it up in a basketball conversation.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:58 pm
Not for me. No. I’m not racist. For example I don’t bring it up in a basketball conversation.
Seems that is how it is done these days. There is a reason why you don't like Amir Coffey so it is obviously racism. And you claiming you are not a racist is just absolute proof you are. Probably an overt racist with Nazi flags proudly flying in your backyard, that when you raise the flag you give the Fuhrer salute and sing Horst Wesel Lied at the top of your lungs.

I am certain I am absolutely correct on this.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 pm
Bol Bol is a rookie? Didn't he play in games last year.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Don't see Otura on that list.... :pissed:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:22 pm
Not many, but yeah, he did.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:49 pm

i feel like he got some run in the bubble - but maybe those were just the warmup games.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 am

i feel like he got some run in the bubble - but maybe those were just the warmup games.
That was my initial thought, but he played in 4/5 games leading into the playoffs and even a few during the playoffs.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 am

That was my initial thought, but he played in 4/5 games leading into the playoffs and even a few during the playoffs.
in any event, they seem to like him.
j2j

Post by j2j »

He played 7 games, averaging 12.4mpg in the regular season. Then 4 games and 5.3mpg in the playoffs.

Y'all's interwebz broke?

But anyone gives you those kind of odds, you take it.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

j2j wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am He played 7 games, averaging 12.4mpg in the regular season. Then 4 games and 5.3mpg in the playoffs.

Y'all's interwebz broke?

No doubt. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I'm gonna be a very rich man.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 am
j2j wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am He played 7 games, averaging 12.4mpg in the regular season. Then 4 games and 5.3mpg in the playoffs.

Y'all's interwebz broke?

No doubt. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I'm gonna be a very rich man.
You get me.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I could see Ball winning ROY just based off his time and role....and I do think Wiseman is a big to watch. I think both Obi and Edwards have the same issue, they have some players either ahead of them or simply a glut where they are, so it might be harder to break through, but I think if either guy gets steady run like Ball, then they win ROY.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 pm I could see Ball winning ROY just based off his time and role....and I do think Wiseman is a big to watch. I think both Obi and Edwards have the same issue, they have some players either ahead of them or simply a glut where they are, so it might be harder to break through, but I think if either guy gets steady run like Ball, then they win ROY.
If the #1 pick in the draft can't start ahead of anyone on this roster at the 1,2 or 3 spot that's not good. Edwards in particular doesn't need to grow physically. If he's not starting out of the gate, then we have a problem imo.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:05 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 pm I could see Ball winning ROY just based off his time and role....and I do think Wiseman is a big to watch. I think both Obi and Edwards have the same issue, they have some players either ahead of them or simply a glut where they are, so it might be harder to break through, but I think if either guy gets steady run like Ball, then they win ROY.
If the #1 pick in the draft can't start ahead of anyone on this roster at the 1,2 or 3 spot that's not good. Edwards in particular doesn't need to grow physically. If he's not starting out of the gate, then we have a problem imo.
I mean, I get that rationale....and I do think he starts next to Beas....but I can easily see them wanting to ease him into that and starting Ricky and having Beas even play the three. He's clearly talented enough to start at SF or SG, but Beas is a quality starting SG, and Dlo is a proven starting PG, so his path isn't as set as a guy like Lamelo. Same reason I mention Obi with Edwards. Same situation....he should start and eat all the minutes, but they keep adding guys to the pool. Depending on the team approach, I don't think you can judge if the guy is good or not if he's not starting day one. I think he will, but I'm not mad if he doesn't the first 10-15 games to get his feet wet.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:10 pm
kilkenny wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:05 pm
I mean, I get that rationale....and I do think he starts next to Beas....but I can easily see them wanting to ease him into that and starting Ricky and having Beas even play the three. He's clearly talented enough to start at SF or SG, but Beas is a quality starting SG, and Dlo is a proven starting PG, so his path isn't as set as a guy like Lamelo. Same reason I mention Obi with Edwards. Same situation....he should start and eat all the minutes, but they keep adding guys to the pool. Depending on the team approach, I don't think you can judge if the guy is good or not if he's not starting day one. I think he will, but I'm not mad if he doesn't the first 10-15 games to get his feet wet.
Look back at previous number one picks. Fultz was an injury problem and more. Bennett ....was terrible and never started. Other than that they all start day 1 over the last 10 plus years. If Edwards can't start day 1 on THIS crappy team...uh oh.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we had a .297 winning percentage this year. and we went into the draft with a wing hole in the starting lineup. if the first overall is a wing - and especially one sporting a full grown man's body, he should start.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Most years I’d agree.

But the draft was like a week ago. Camp is about to open and will be shorter than normal. Preseason is just around the corner and will be significantly truncated. There was no summer league to help acclimate a player. The turnaround from sitting at home not knowing what city you’re going to live in for the next 5 years and taking the court in a game is really short. If they chose to ease a guy in more slowly than normal, I wouldn’t have too much of a problem about it.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm Most years I’d agree.

But the draft was like a week ago. Camp is about to open and will be shorter than normal. Preseason is just around the corner and will be significantly truncated. There was no summer league to help acclimate a player. The turnaround from sitting at home not knowing what city you’re going to live in for the next 5 years and taking the court in a game is really short. If they chose to ease a guy in more slowly than normal, I wouldn’t have too much of a problem about it.
Bingo.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

on the other hand, because of that factor this year will probably have an asterisk by it and be more forgiving to rookies who struggle with the transitition. i'm in the camp that wants to see him get a lot of court time.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 am on the other hand, because of that factor this year will probably have an asterisk by it and be more forgiving to rookies who struggle with the transitition. i'm in the camp that wants to see him get a lot of court time.
Since the LeBron draft (2003), there have been only three #1 picks Andrea Bargnani (2006), Anthony Bennett (2013) & Markelle Fultz (2017), that did not start in their first NBA Game. Big Busts all. (Greg Oden started his first game, but darn few after that due to injury.)

Edwards better damn well start, otherwise he has a lot of history to overcome.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:52 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 am on the other hand, because of that factor this year will probably have an asterisk by it and be more forgiving to rookies who struggle with the transitition. i'm in the camp that wants to see him get a lot of court time.
Since the LeBron draft (2003), there have been only three #1 picks Andrea Bargnani (2006), Anthony Bennett (2013) & Markelle Fultz (2017), that did not start in their first NBA Game. Big Busts all. (Greg Oden started his first game, but darn few after that due to injury.)

Edwards better damn well start, otherwise he has a lot of history to overcome.
I wouldn't really call Bargnani a big bust. Underwhelming, lethargic and allergic to defense, sure, but not a big bust. Dude lasted 10 years, and was putting up 18-20 before he fucked up his elbow.

And yeah, I know you're going by the past #1's, but guys like Thabeet, Morrison, Joe Alexander, the infamous Tskitishvili...they're all much bigger busts at their respective draft positions than Bargnani was at #1.

We're also not running things in a normal timeline considering all of the suspensions, delays and now the truncated offseason. I'd guess we'll even see a number of delays, postponements and cancellations as the year goes on and players/staff inevitably get stung by Covid. It's just going to be a shitty year to try and use as a barometer for any rookie that undoubtedly struggles out of the gate.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm in the camp that says start him - and then take everything you see with a grain of salt because of the effedupness of the covid situation. if he performs well, then Great! if he performs poorly, don't read too much into it.