Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by thinktank »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 am
thinktank wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 am

I agree with that Joda, which is why some posters can stand to tone down the superiority during discussion.
:shock:
:lol:
I know.

I remember when HHM bullied anyone who didn’t Ballwash Love.

I wish we still had that old Preposterous thread.

Epic boomerang.

Ah well. Now he’s moved onto Bol Bol. To each their own.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm
I know.

Epic boomerang.

I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm

I know.

Epic boomerang.

Keep it 💯.

HHM is a douchebag.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

The Wolves ended the day with Edwards & Rubio 1.0, instead of drafting Rubio 2.0 (LeMelo) at #1.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

My first thought when the Wolves traded down from #17 was "They're going to pick Bolmaro".
Ooogabooga

Post by Ooogabooga »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 am The Wolves ended the day with Edwards & Rubio 1.0, instead of drafting Rubio 2.0 (LeMelo) at #1.
Meh at least Rubio could shoot Freethrows.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 pm

I know.

Epic boomerang.

Keep it 💯.

HHM is a douchebag.
"Ed, what an ugly thing to say. I abhor ugliness. Does this mean we’re not friends anymore? You know, Ed, if I thought you weren’t my friend, I just don’t think I could bear it."
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I know.

Epic boomerang.

You bring up Bol Bol more than me. Bully. :P
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am My first thought when the Wolves traded down from #17 was "They're going to pick Bolmaro".
Was that a good thought? I had no clue who he was prior to the pick, and I'm unquestionably the foremost #1 NBA draft mind in the history of froobchat.
Spoiler:
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 am

I know.

Epic boomerang.

You bring up Bol Bol more than me. Bully. :P
A quick search of froobchat proves that your claim is FALSE. Nice try!

:D
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am
KATMANDUDE wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am My first thought when the Wolves traded down from #17 was "They're going to pick Bolmaro".
Was that a good thought? I had no clue who he was prior to the pick, and I'm unquestionably the foremost #1 NBA draft mind in the history of froobchat.
Spoiler:
I can't take full credit. The Athletics's Kevin O'Conner had the Wolves trade #17 for two mid-20s picks and he made a case for Bolmaro.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ah gotcha. I want to hope we have a potential gem, but I just don't see it yet.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 pm Ah gotcha. I want to hope we have a potential gem, but I just don't see it yet.
this is a pretty even handed analysis with the good and not so good.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2020/11/21/ ... -nba-draft
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

For a draft that was so shitty...the fact that people were upset about losing 2nd round/fringe 1st rounders makes this whole thread comical. We added a vet who can play and influence off the court, we drafted two upside projects that could potentially making losing next years first a non factor, and we drafted arguable the most NBA ready with arguably the highest upside in the draft. Yeah, we didn't get a young an up coming PF, but we're so much better than when Rosas took over and it's not even been that long. We're a playoff team right now.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

I know McDaniels pick soured a lot of people but at 17 I was thinking I would have been okay with the gamble. I know he was mostly dogshit his lone season but he has talent and that is the boom/bust you make later in the draft. If he busts oh well worth the shot... but if he booms you look like a genius. I already think Edwards is going to be a star in 3 years. McDaniels will have to spend 2 years in G league develop that body then we will see if he was worth drafting.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

here's why i think some of us are less than enthused.

while edwards is aruably the biggest talent in the draft - he's still a young kid with questions about his game. i, for one, think that he will show flashes of brilliance during his rookie campaign - but overall it will be a learning experience and he won't be nearly the player now that he'll be in three years.

the rubio trade doubled down on our PG position after we'd found a really reliable and surprisingly effective and cheap 2nd stringer last year in jmac.

the bolmaro move is not for now. we're going to be waiting on him.

ditto for the mcdaniels move.

the PF was addressed by resigning juancho - who likely will be our starter - and please convince me that, as a starter, he wouldn't be ranked 30 out of 30 starting 4s in the league. the davis move is an alright nod to that. i'm glad we brought him on board.

so lots of potential in this draft - but little IMO that moves the needle now. and all we've been talking about going into the draft is how we needed to move the needle NOW because this is both KAT and DLO's sixth year, and if something doesn't happen soon - as in now - to improve our winning, that for sure KAT at least is going to be looking for greener pastures. we are now debating as to if this team will maybe win 30 games this coming year. seems like what we're telling KAT is just to "hang on" for another 3 years and then we'll be good. you think that flies well?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am here's why i think some of us are less than enthused.

while edwards is aruably the biggest talent in the draft - he's still a young kid with questions about his game. i, for one, think that he will show flashes of brilliance during his rookie campaign - but overall it will be a learning experience and he won't be nearly the player now that he'll be in three years.

the rubio trade doubled down on our PG position after we'd found a really reliable and surprisingly effective and cheap 2nd stringer last year in jmac.

the bolmaro move is not for now. we're going to be waiting on him.

ditto for the mcdaniels move.

the PF was addressed by resigning juancho - who likely will be our starter - and please convince me that, as a starter, he wouldn't be ranked 30 out of 30 starting 4s in the league. the davis move is an alright nod to that. i'm glad we brought him on board.

so lots of potential in this draft - but little IMO that moves the needle now. and all we've been talking about going into the draft is how we needed to move the needle NOW because this is both KAT and DLO's sixth year, and if something doesn't happen soon - as in now - to improve our winning, that for sure KAT at least is going to be looking for greener pastures. we are now debating as to if this team will maybe win 30 games this coming year. seems like what we're telling KAT is just to "hang on" for another 3 years and then we'll be good. you think that flies well?
For people supporting the Rubio move, when you look at all of the moves together and still cannot understand it was a terrible decision then I am not certain you have valid opinions on anything.

Instead of spending $17 million this year and $17.8 million next on a backup point guard, draft a role player or shooter at 17, sign McLaughlin as your backup to a much cheaper contract and retain the ability to add a player using the MLE at a true position of need. I can't see any angle besides the initial heartwarming tale of bringing Rubio back were that is not the better course.

And if Rubio's role is being planned as being more than the back up point guard, the decision is even dumber.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you're right. this move throws away the asset we had found in jmac - and does little if anything to fill the hole at PF and get Karl some regular defensive help in the frontcourt. it feels exactly like what you mentioned - a feel good move designed for ticket sales to a home town bunch of homers. i feel like this could be KAT's last year - and if it is, well, maybe better now than later - with more losing behind him - because (barring injury) he'll still fetch a ton at this point in his career. they aren't the same kind of dominant front court bigs - but you know how dwight howard's image went from being fantastic to meh? i think this could be in store for karl if he goes on longer and longer being associated with empty stats/losing and not being a player who puts you regularly into the win column. some of you will laugh at this, but that just means you're forgetting how dominant dwight was for time.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

I know.

Epic boomerang.

Keep it 💯.

HHM is a douchebag.
Pretty much everyone on here is a whiny douchebag, me excluded of course. :lol:
Mill City Froob

Post by Mill City Froob »

Fattymcgee wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 pm
Keep it 💯.

HHM is a douchebag.
Pretty much everyone on here is a whiny douchebag, me excluded of course. :lol:
But HHM is the worst, that's why I stalk him all over the board telling him he's the worst.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just posting something here so the word Stinktaint doesn't always blaze away in pink at the top of the WC home page. sorry, but i get a visual every time i see it - and i'm trying to have breakfast here.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/posting. ... 8&p=597794
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:54 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 pm Man fade, with how many NBA guys you think the Gophers have, it’s a shame we finished 22-14 and lost in the round of 32. You think there’s as many as 4 NBA players potentially on this current roster.
Coffey and Otaru are for sure NBA players.

Gabe can make it too because he can flat out shoot and play defense.

Hardest NBA journey will be Murphy but the game is moving to small ball and his height shouldn't play that big of a factor. Kenneth Faried played center for the rockets for over a month.

Man I am such an elite basketball mind. I said two gophers would make it in the pros and everyone disagreed. Thinktank, Sergeant Rubetube, and SomuchYummy said I was crazy.

That’s why my scouting picks are always right.

Told ya, ya need to continue learning the game.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***h

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 am
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 pm Man fade, with how many NBA guys you think the Gophers have, it’s a shame we finished 22-14 and lost in the round of 32. You think there’s as many as 4 NBA players potentially on this current roster.

Hardest NBA journey will be Murphy but the game is moving to small ball and his height shouldn't play that big of a factor. Kenneth Faried played center for the rockets for over a month.
Good lord. I now feel you are just trolling us with some of these takes.

Told you bro. Don’t doubt fade
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

thinktank wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 am

Otaru is awful. Forget the NBA. He’ll be lucky to play overseas.

Coffee is a long shot. I wouldn’t bet on him.

Told you noob. You need to continue to learn the game. Consistently wrong
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 am this is a funny thread. the gophers haven't had a player drafted since kris humphries 15 years ago. there are no gophers currently playing in the league. we are not a basketball power that attracts or develops nba type talent. of the players on their current squad, amir coffey might have a possibility to get drafted next year if he muscles up, really works hard on flaws in his game in the offseason and has a brilliant senior year.
I told you two gophers were gonna make the pros. Never doubt fade’s elite b-ball mind.
j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Holy shit that was a bad take.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:50 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 am this is a funny thread. the gophers haven't had a player drafted since kris humphries 15 years ago. there are no gophers currently playing in the league. we are not a basketball power that attracts or develops nba type talent. of the players on their current squad, amir coffey might have a possibility to get drafted next year if he muscles up, really works hard on flaws in his game in the offseason and has a brilliant senior year.
I told you two gophers were gonna make the pros. Never doubt fade’s elite b-ball mind.
do you bookmark this stuff?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Holy shit that was a bad take.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

NBA player in name only.

One two year contract on the end of the Clippers bench doesn’t mean much.

As I said, he can look forward to playing overseas.