Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm I am not even sure I have time to read those two posts even with the stay at home order lol
i apologize to the general froob public. it was sort of a thrill-yummy draft moment.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

can we rev this sucker up again with some discussion?

here's what i'd like y'all to think about and comment on - if we are indeed at around 3 or 4 in this draft, what direction do you think the teams picking ahead of us will take? here are some thoughts on the warriors.

i think GS is one of those teams who will get a shot before us. and frankly i'm worried that they'll go for toppin. as much as edwards has a lot of steam behind him, will they really do a top pick for him when they've got klay on the hook for $160M over the next four years and wiggs at $94M over the next three? so i don't see them taking edwards. wiggs IMO is still a really hard trade to make - maybe they'd trade klay - but my guess is that they'll just ride the contracts out on both of them. which is a long time to have edwards coming off the bench as a possible number one pick.

ball is maybe a possibility as a PG because steph has just two years left at $89M. but does anyone think after those two years are over, steph goes somewhere else? i don't think so. if anyone is that team's identity, it's him and he'll still be relatively young. and ball as a wing doesn't work for them for the same reasons edwards doesn't.

i think our hope with GS is that they actually like wiseman. he's something they don't have at all - and maybe they'd retool their game a bit to accomodate a fleet big man like him. and the other option is avdija or maybe okoro - as small ball 4s who can bring maybe a more well rounded game to the table than toppin offers. both deni and okoro are good to great defenders who are also very good passers, something that's got to appeal in GS. okongwu is another possibility as a big who would work well in their system and keep their D at an absolutely high level.

thoughts on this or any other team most likely picking ahead of us? and obviously, i'm coming from a angle that covets toppin as a dynamic PF to put into our starting lineup.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Curious what the league ends up doing about the lottery, and when. And then of course the draft.

NFL has a sooner decision, but sounds like decided to be dumb.

Beyond that 24 paragraph posts rehashing the same old info don't intrigue me.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:18 pm Curious what the league ends up doing about the lottery, and when. And then of course the draft.

NFL has a sooner decision, but sounds like decided to be dumb.

Beyond that 24 paragraph posts rehashing the same old info don't intrigue me.
well, i think you've just got the blahs. i'm trying to generate some conversation around here - of which there's none. and the thing i've mentioned that we specifically talk about - what the teams ahead of us in the draft might do - is, as far as i've looked, not something that's been given much light here. i just went thru the posts of the past 5 pages - that's 150 posts - and no one has been talking about it. the teams are GS and cleveland. of course, something could get screwy in the lotto, but saying the standings stick - that's what we've probably got to figure out. what the warriors and the cavs might do. apply yourself.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:28 pm can we rev this sucker up again with some discussion?

here's what i'd like y'all to think about and comment on - if we are indeed at around 3 or 4 in this draft, what direction do you think the teams picking ahead of us will take? here are some thoughts on the warriors.

i think GS is one of those teams who will get a shot before us. and frankly i'm worried that they'll go for toppin. as much as edwards has a lot of steam behind him, will they really do a top pick for him when they've got klay on the hook for $160M over the next four years and wiggs at $94M over the next three? so i don't see them taking edwards. wiggs IMO is still a really hard trade to make - maybe they'd trade klay - but my guess is that they'll just ride the contracts out on both of them. which is a long time to have edwards coming off the bench as a possible number one pick.

ball is maybe a possibility as a PG because steph has just two years left at $89M. but does anyone think after those two years are over, steph goes somewhere else? i don't think so. if anyone is that team's identity, it's him and he'll still be relatively young. and ball as a wing doesn't work for them for the same reasons edwards doesn't.

i think our hope with GS is that they actually like wiseman. he's something they don't have at all - and maybe they'd retool their game a bit to accomodate a fleet big man like him. and the other option is avdija or maybe okoro - as small ball 4s who can bring maybe a more well rounded game to the table than toppin offers. both deni and okoro are good to great defenders who are also very good passers, something that's got to appeal in GS. okongwu is another possibility as a big who would work well in their system and keep their D at an absolutely high level.

thoughts on this or any other team most likely picking ahead of us? and obviously, i'm coming from a angle that covets toppin as a dynamic PF to put into our starting lineup.
Like I said earlier it's easy to see why almost all have GS taking Wiseman or using the pick in a trade but I can't help but think if they can't find a trade they would take Obi. He's easily the most game ready player at a position of need. And of course they are actually smart.

Atl certainly scares me. All talk is they don't want to pay Collins top dollar and he wants it. Definitely see them taking a younger cheaper version and trading Collins.

Really don't see any of the other bottom feeders taking him. Knicks certainly should but they are too stupid. They will miss out on Ball and then take the next man down way too high. Probably Anthony because he was a bum in every game I saw. But a lot of the longer shot teams could. Would be really tough to watch us not get a top 4 pick.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:52 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:28 pm can we rev this sucker up again with some discussion?

Like I said earlier it's easy to see why almost all have GS taking Wiseman or using the pick in a trade but I can't help but think if they can't find a trade they would take Obi. He's easily the most game ready player at a position of need. And of course they are actually smart.

Atl certainly scares me. All talk is they don't want to pay Collins top dollar and he wants it. Definitely see them taking a younger cheaper version and trading Collins.

Really don't see any of the other bottom feeders taking him. Knicks certainly should but they are too stupid. They will miss out on Ball and then take the next man down way too high. Probably Anthony because he was a bum in every game I saw. But a lot of the longer shot teams could. Would be really tough to watch us not get a top 4 pick.
if the warriors get #1, i could see them wanting to trade back for a guy. read the pulse of the rest and see how they could make out. because some of those "not quite number ones" could really play great roles for them. especially okongwu or okoro would be terrific in their mix. but they don't have to pick either one with an overall first. i think they could trade back to five and still be safe getting either one. if detroit is at five - i could see the pistons really wanting to move up to get either ball or edwards. GS swaps picks with them, they'd still come away with either of the OKs plus a couple of detroit assets. what's detroit have that they might be able to use? for one, luke kennard averaged 16/4/4 for the pistons this year on 40% from three. he's making $12.5M over the next two years and those 4 apg from a wing would fit great with GSW. the warriors can't afford much in the way of money for supporting players. who else? svi's owed just $1.6M next year - and he's starting to show talent. 40% on threes this year. the same kind of money is owed bruce brown next year - and he's a very good defensive combo guard. just throwing shit around.

i'm trying to imagine scenarios where the warriors don't just take toppin and go home. and i think there's hope - i forget about both paschall and looney being effective parts of the machine on that squad - they're under contract for two more years each. plus with smailagic developing - and who knows if they continue to see if dragan has anything - it just feels like they are plenty loaded at PF, but maybe could use a guy like okongwu who projects out as more of a defensive C. and jeez, how'd you like the interior D pairing of dray and onyeka? phew.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Obi in that lineup would be a lot of fun.

5 - Draymond
4 - Toppin
3 - Standrew
2 - Klay
1 - Steph

Or however you want to arrange Dray and Obi, it doesnt matter. Of course they have that hole at 3, but that would he fun to watch when he goes to the bench.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:17 am

if the warriors get #1, i could see them wanting to trade back for a guy. read the pulse of the rest and see how they could make out. because some of those "not quite number ones" could really play great roles for them. especially okongwu or okoro would be terrific in their mix. but they don't have to pick either one with an overall first. i think they could trade back to five and still be safe getting either one. if detroit is at five - i could see the pistons really wanting to move up to get either ball or edwards. GS swaps picks with them, they'd still come away with either of the OKs plus a couple of detroit assets. what's detroit have that they might be able to use? for one, luke kennard averaged 16/4/4 for the pistons this year on 40% from three. he's making $12.5M over the next two years and those 4 apg from a wing would fit great with GSW. the warriors can't afford much in the way of money for supporting players. who else? svi's owed just $1.6M next year - and he's starting to show talent. 40% on threes this year. the same kind of money is owed bruce brown next year - and he's a very good defensive combo guard. just throwing shit around.

i'm trying to imagine scenarios where the warriors don't just take toppin and go home. and i think there's hope - i forget about both paschall and looney being effective parts of the machine on that squad - they're under contract for two more years each. plus with smailagic developing - and who knows if they continue to see if dragan has anything - it just feels like they are plenty loaded at PF, but maybe could use a guy like okongwu who projects out as more of a defensive C. and jeez, how'd you like the interior D pairing of dray and onyeka? phew.
Main thing pointing against it is that most talk and a lot of the evidence is that they wanted our pick next year because they wanted the pick in a stronger draft to package with this one for a trade. But that still seems a little odd to me as they need a team to covet Wigs in a deal or be willing to take on Draymond's deal. They have others of value to throw in like Pascchal but I don't personally see why they would. IMO they need defensive big even more as their core ages but who knows. Could still see them thnkiing lets just outscore everyone. But Paschal is that same sort of guy as Obi just not as athletic. But I don't see GS doing the move down thing. Think they either package for a star or they go big and then trade off one or 2 current bigs. Maybe packaging our pick next year plus Chriss or Looney. They are hard to judge since they will obviously spend huge and they can also do the first pick of ring chasers thing.

Was thinking this last night. Know you wouldn't because you still hate but what if it was Towns/Layman/Evans for Wiggins/ Paschal/ GS 1st/ Return of our 1st. Would you do it? I would if both those picks were ahead of NY. Then I'd take Ball with one of them and trade Russell to NY for their 1st and E. Payton. NY's pick would have to be high enough to get that 2nd big but I'd take Wiggins/Ball/Obi/OO/Paschal/ pick back/cap space for Towns/Russel/our pick every time. Then we play some D.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:52 am

Main thing pointing against it is that most talk and a lot of the evidence is that they wanted our pick next year because they wanted the pick in a stronger draft to package with this one for a trade. But that still seems a little odd to me as they need a team to covet Wigs in a deal or be willing to take on Draymond's deal. They have others of value to throw in like Pascchal but I don't personally see why they would. IMO they need defensive big even more as their core ages but who knows. Could still see them thnkiing lets just outscore everyone. But Paschal is that same sort of guy as Obi just not as athletic. But I don't see GS doing the move down thing. Think they either package for a star or they go big and then trade off one or 2 current bigs. Maybe packaging our pick next year plus Chriss or Looney. They are hard to judge since they will obviously spend huge and they can also do the first pick of ring chasers thing.

Was thinking this last night. Know you wouldn't because you still hate but what if it was Towns/Layman/Evans for Wiggins/ Paschal/ GS 1st/ Return of our 1st. Would you do it? I would if both those picks were ahead of NY. Then I'd take Ball with one of them and trade Russell to NY for their 1st and E. Payton. NY's pick would have to be high enough to get that 2nd big but I'd take Wiggins/Ball/Obi/OO/Paschal/ pick back/cap space for Towns/Russel/our pick every time. Then we play some D.
i don't think GSW will say "let's outscore everyone". they've, of course, got killer offensive players - but they've also valued great D, which is forgotten sometimes. i think Okongwu would be amazing on that squad - and i could see them trading down to get him. and detroit would be a good target. blake's back next year - and if so, with him, the emergence of wood and sekou - plus the addition of a dynamic scoring guard like edwards - i could see detroit forecasting enough of a rise that they could throw in next year's first and it wouldn't be a high lottery pick anymore - more of a pick in the mid teens. detroit's 5th this year, plus next year's first and kennard - in exchange for edward's as an overall number one for them - i could see detroit doing it. and it would be a great haul for GSW while still getting the best fit for their squad in this year's draft, OO.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am

i don't think GSW will say "let's outscore everyone". they've, of course, got killer offensive players - but they've also valued great D, which is forgotten sometimes. i think Okongwu would be amazing on that squad - and i could see them trading down to get him. and detroit would be a good target. blake's back next year - and if so, with him, the emergence of wood and sekou - plus the addition of a dynamic scoring guard like edwards - i could see detroit forecasting enough of a rise that they could throw in next year's first and it wouldn't be a high lottery pick anymore - more of a pick in the mid teens. detroit's 5th this year, plus next year's first and kennard - in exchange for edward's as an overall number one for them - i could see detroit doing it. and it would be a great haul for GSW while still getting the best fit for their squad in this year's draft, OO.
If GS is intent on doing the smart thing and taking a defensive big and keeping Wigs and our pick I don't see them caring about any trade down that could cost them either defensive big. They'd hang tight and take one. Again, they don't ever have to worry about filling out a roster. They will pay and they get all the ring chasers. Still most of the talk is star hunting.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am

If GS is intent on doing the smart thing and taking a defensive big and keeping Wigs and our pick I don't see them caring about any trade down that could cost them either defensive big. They'd hang tight and take one. Again, they don't ever have to worry about filling out a roster. They will pay and they get all the ring chasers. Still most of the talk is star hunting.
i don't think it would cost them a defensive big. if detroit wanted more in that deal, GSW could throw in next year's first - which, with everyone back and the addition of okongwu and kennard, would be late 20s.

GSW - trades their overall #1 2020 pick plus their 2021 1st rounder (late 20s)

Detroit - trades their overall #5 2020 pick, their probable mid-first 2021 pick and luke kennard.

curry - FA ring chaser (augustin?) - ky bowman
klay - jordan poole - damion lee
wiggins - luke kennard - juan toscano-anderson
dray - paschall - smailagic
okongwu - chriss - looney

that's a tough squad - with two more top 15 picks coming in 2021 to do what they want with.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

The chance that Det get's 5 are about as good as GS getting 1. Wiseman and OO are going top 6 at the very least and probably top 5. Probably a better chance that Det picks before GS. Even if it did land that way there is no way GS takes the chance that one of them is still on the board and just takes Edwards with the chance they get stuck with too many wings and have to make a subsequent deal with less leverage and suitors. Teams like GS don't have to take chances. When have they ever? Biggest chance they have ever taken by far is taking back Wiggins. And that chance was a 20 point scorer and a future first for a guy they got for free when Durant left.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:15 pm The chance that Det get's 5 are about as good as GS getting 1. Wiseman and OO are going top 6 at the very least and probably top 5. Probably a better chance that Det picks before GS. Even if it did land that way there is no way GS takes the chance that one of them is still on the board and just takes Edwards with the chance they get stuck with too many wings and have to make a subsequent deal with less leverage and suitors. Teams like GS don't have to take chances. When have they ever? Biggest chance they have ever taken by far is taking back Wiggins. And that chance was a 20 point scorer and a future first for a guy they got for free when Durant left.
why do you think detroit would be picking ahead of GSW? i'm pretty sure the order of the standings is 1GSW 2Cavs 3Wolves 4Hawks 5Pistons. how do the pistons have a higher percentage than GSW for getting a better pick?

i'm just saying that - if that draft order holds - GSW could do better than take okongwu at number one and go home. i'm pretty sure - given that both the hawks and the pistons would perhaps covet edwards - they could make a trade, still get their guy OO at 4 or 5, and pick up additional assets as well. with the pistons maybe that means kennard and something else - with the hawks maybe huerter and something else. that seems to me like the GSW way - maximizing their return.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:58 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:15 pm The chance that Det get's 5 are about as good as GS getting 1. Wiseman and OO are going top 6 at the very least and probably top 5. Probably a better chance that Det picks before GS. Even if it did land that way there is no way GS takes the chance that one of them is still on the board and just takes Edwards with the chance they get stuck with too many wings and have to make a subsequent deal with less leverage and suitors. Teams like GS don't have to take chances. When have they ever? Biggest chance they have ever taken by far is taking back Wiggins. And that chance was a 20 point scorer and a future first for a guy they got for free when Durant left.
why do you think detroit would be picking ahead of GSW? i'm pretty sure the order of the standings is 1GSW 2Cavs 3Wolves 4Hawks 5Pistons. how do the pistons have a higher percentage than GSW for getting a better pick?

i'm just saying that - if that draft order holds - GSW could do better than take okongwu at number one and go home. i'm pretty sure - given that both the hawks and the pistons would perhaps covet edwards - they could make a trade, still get their guy OO at 4 or 5, and pick up additional assets as well. with the pistons maybe that means kennard and something else - with the hawks maybe huerter and something else. that seems to me like the GSW way - maximizing their return.
Dude. Take your time reading. I'm saying the odds of it laying out like you want for a deal to happen between them are longer than Det. You heard of that lotto thing right? You think that the top 4 will be the top 4? What are the odds of that? If they aren't then Det is at best 5 unless they are one of the winners.

The team at #1 may move to 2 or 3 if they don't want Edwards but no more. There is no other Obi. There are 2 defensive bigs but one more upside and one more sure thing. There is one PG. Maybe one SF if you're a Doncic lover. That's it. They are not similar. You don't go messing around in a flat tier of players who are the only top rated in the whole draft and take the chance you lose out on a need. BPA is always either a myth or an idiots failing fallback but in a flat tier it is always need that makes the pick. Always.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Alright Yummy (and anyone else :lol: ) Let's play some games to kill some time. 1st game. Make your best team from all 2nd rounders. 1 player for each traditional spot. All players from 2nd round in most credible drafts. Not in regard to our bizarre roster. Just best players. Well, that you think will be the best pros. Oh, I mean best team too not just the 5 best gunners or defenders. Best team on the floor together.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:42 pm Alright Yummy (and anyone else :lol: ) Let's play some games to kill some time. 1st game. Make your best team from all 2nd rounders. 1 player for each traditional spot. All players from 2nd round in most credible drafts. Not in regard to our bizarre roster. Just best players. Well, that you think will be the best pros. Oh, I mean best team too not just the 5 best gunners or defenders. Best team on the floor together.

this is too easy for me - and i'm sure you'll shoot it full of holes, but to each his own, right? in terms of a modern game, i'll add their 3pt %s this year after their names. it's sort of surprising in that regard.

PG - immanuel quickley 6-3 187 (43%)

SG - trevelin queen 6-6 190 (39%)

SF - yves pons 6-6 215 (35%)

PF - tyler bey 6-7 220 (42%)

C - luka garza 6-11 255 (36%)

boom. whipped that out off the top of my head. and for players ready to play immediately with men - queen is 23, garza and bey 22, pons 21 and quickley 20.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

by the way, i looked it up - and thrill was right - odds are better than not that the wolves will move from their slot at #3 to something else - either up, but more historically, it's moved down. and hardly ever does it stay right at #3.
Ballin36

Post by Ballin36 »

That ATL report is false fwiw.

“Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk told The Athletic that teams inquired about Collins’ availability at the trade deadline but that Atlanta wasn’t interested in parting with the big man. Schlenk went on to call Collins one of the Hawks best players.”

Sure he can be traded but it’d take a HUGE haul, which I don’t see happening.

And Collins imo is a superior prospect to Obi. Obi’s definitely not a cheaper version of him
Last edited by Ballin36 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think they're sticking with collins too. he's cheap and he produces. and what does that signal to other teams about collins if the hawks want to bail.... and then replace him with a player with nearly the same skills? that maybe something isn't right with collins? i suppose his contract is cheap enough that he could be easily moved - considering his production - but there's always been something hanging in the air around collisn, whether warranted or not, that seems to diminish his brand. i think the hawks would have to wind up selling him cheap - so why go down that road?
Ballin36

Post by Ballin36 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:15 pm i think they're sticking with collins too. he's cheap and he produces. and what does that signal to other teams about collins if the hawks want to bail.... and then replace him with a player with nearly the same skills? that maybe something isn't right with collins? i suppose his contract is cheap enough that he could be easily moved - considering his production - but there's always been something hanging in the air around collisn, whether warranted or not, that seems to diminish his brand. i think the hawks would have to wind up selling him cheap - so why go down that road?
Yeah I don’t think there’s any truth to it. Teams inquired about Collins (bc he’s up for extension) but Hawks showed 0 interest in trading him. I also read their something like 8-39 with him playing in the last 2 years & play at a +18 win total with him on the court. And his defense has improved a lot while offensively he has improved everywhere. I think Hawks want Edwards not Obi.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

edwards makes way more sense for them.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:15 pm i think they're sticking with collins too. he's cheap and he produces. and what does that signal to other teams about collins if the hawks want to bail.... and then replace him with a player with nearly the same skills? that maybe something isn't right with collins? i suppose his contract is cheap enough that he could be easily moved - considering his production - but there's always been something hanging in the air around collisn, whether warranted or not, that seems to diminish his brand. i think the hawks would have to wind up selling him cheap - so why go down that road?
He's cheap for 1 more year. There were 10 reports he wanted full max and that turned them off and they would shop him after getting their C. But yeah, I guess the GM disputing it carries a lot of weight. An ounce or 2 at least. No reason for him to lie. Like for instance to keep a team from moving ahead of them and getting Obi. Nope.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:25 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:42 pm Alright Yummy (and anyone else :lol: ) Let's play some games to kill some time. 1st game. Make your best team from all 2nd rounders. 1 player for each traditional spot. All players from 2nd round in most credible drafts. Not in regard to our bizarre roster. Just best players. Well, that you think will be the best pros. Oh, I mean best team too not just the 5 best gunners or defenders. Best team on the floor together.

this is too easy for me - and i'm sure you'll shoot it full of holes, but to each his own, right? in terms of a modern game, i'll add their 3pt %s this year after their names. it's sort of surprising in that regard.

boom. whipped that out off the top of my head. and for players ready to play immediately with men - queen is 23, garza and bey 22, pons 21 and quickley 20.
Ya took 2 of my guys. And 1 guy real close. I got

PG- A. Haggans. Your boy's teammate and the best defender in the draft.

2G- T. Queen. Just love the guy. Must be something that people don't like but all I see is taller more athletic Cassell.

3- T. Bey.

4- Jalen Smith. Almost went Paul Reed and there are some defensive guys I don't think will declare but Smith really came on after a really disappointing freshman year.

5- Nick Richards. "Late bloomer" if you go to Kentucky you have to be good as a freshman or you suck. Smaller but more athletic Sideshow Bob.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 pm
He's cheap for 1 more year. There were 10 reports he wanted full max and that turned them off and they would shop him after getting their C. But yeah, I guess the GM disputing it carries a lot of weight. An ounce or 2 at least. No reason for him to lie. Like for instance to keep a team from moving ahead of them and getting Obi. Nope.
i still say that they have to be looking hard at edwards. he'll require some attention when he's got the ball - which just opens things up more for young and collins. huerter has trouble creating and is a better spot up shooter - and seems like a great guy to have coming off your bench, but edwards IMO would be a stronger backcourt mate for trae.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Ya took 2 of my guys. And 1 guy real close. I got

PG- A. Haggans. Your boy's teammate and the best defender in the draft.

2G- T. Queen. Just love the guy. Must be something that people don't like but all I see is taller more athletic Cassell.

3- T. Bey.

4- Jalen Smith. Almost went Paul Reed and there are some defensive guys I don't think will declare but Smith really came on after a really disappointing freshman year.

5- Nick Richards. "Late bloomer" if you go to Kentucky you have to be good as a freshman or you suck. Smaller but more athletic Sideshow Bob.
two things - i rate pons as a better defender than hagans - simply because of all the spots he can cover (but who's to quibble) - and secondly, you really think jalen smith is going 2nd round? i see him easy anywhere from 20 to 30. second round seems a stretch. and let me guess - the third of mine you almost picked was quickley. no! wait, you're a hagans guy from the word go. pons?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Jalen Smith will go 2nd because he's a J. Smith type athlete not KG type. That puts you in the 2nd no matter what you do with it these days. Still not completely sold on him but he really did stuff the stat sheet on a good team. And I don't mean like totals I mean solid numbers all over. Kind of stuff makes me think if he just has the effort (has been questioned) he will contribute at the very least.

And I get why you like Pons, he's my type of player. But you overrate him and he won't come out if he has any smarts. He's not the defender either Okoro or Haggans are. He's good but he's a weak side block chaser .
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's not the defender that okoro or hagans are - but the coaches who see these guys play all year in the same conference selected pons over both of them for DPOY. because...? i'm going to defer to the coaches on this one.

and gawd - i so hope that we take him at 33. it would be so great to have a defensive beast like that on our team. put him in the G for a year and then up with the big club after layman leaves.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:24 am he's not the defender that okoro or hagans are - but the coaches who see these guys play all year in the same conference selected pons over both of them for DPOY. because...? i'm going to defer to the coaches on this one.

and gawd - i so hope that we take him at 33. it would be so great to have a defensive beast like that on our team. put him in the G for a year and then up with the big club after layman leaves.
He got it on stats. And as I always say nothing is less indicative of play than defensive stats. Just need to look at Towns blocks. He sucks. Love's defensive rating. He sucked worse. Haggans and Okoro will be 1st team all D players if they get the playing time because they fuck with all 5 guys every possession.

Pons is fun to watch come out of nowhere for blocks sometimes because he's not that tall and you don't see it coming. I ust don't think he's a very good ball player. He's a 6'5" power forward. For as much as he hangs in the paint on D and crashes the glass on the other end I would expect him to average closer to 10 rebounds. Not 5. Not anywhere near the athlete but I'd give Murphy a much better chance of playing in the NBA just because he does have that one thing you can count on.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:24 am he's not the defender that okoro or hagans are - but the coaches who see these guys play all year in the same conference selected pons over both of them for DPOY. because...? i'm going to defer to the coaches on this one.

He got it on stats. And as I always say nothing is less indicative of play than defensive stats. Just need to look at Towns blocks. He sucks. Love's defensive rating. He sucked worse. Haggans and Okoro will be 1st team all D players if they get the playing time because they fuck with all 5 guys every possession.

Pons is fun to watch come out of nowhere for blocks sometimes because he's not that tall and you don't see it coming. I ust don't think he's a very good ball player. He's a 6'5" power forward. For as much as he hangs in the paint on D and crashes the glass on the other end I would expect him to average closer to 10 rebounds. Not 5. Not anywhere near the athlete but I'd give Murphy a much better chance of playing in the NBA just because he does have that one thing you can count on.
now some of this just doesn't make sense, son. "he got it on stats" is something you say when national sportswriters make the choice. but when the SEC's own head coaches make the choice - it's because they're the pros with the eyes closest to what's going on. they scout it, they see it, they live it. i am not in any way implying that okoro isn't a great defender. but i'm stating the obvious, the coaches of the SEC picked pons over okoro for the award.

barnes played pons everywhere on D - from PG to C - wherever coach thought he was needed. i saw him working his ass off on nick richards (6-11 247 7-4 wingspan) and he was ceding nothing. but that might be why his rebounding numbers aren't stellar. if you're on the perimeter matched up with PGs and SGs - or inside against Cs who you're giving up 5 inches to - your numbers in that regard might not be great. no one is saying he's charles barkley on the boards. (but he did average 1 more rpg than okoro - and okoro is bigger.) his bread and butter in the pros will be as a wing and small ball PF defender. and maybe against some of the bigger PGs in the league. you need to put a dent in ben simmons for a bit because he's killing you? put pons on him.

as per jordan murphy - who averaged 6 rpg in the G this year - pons is so much more the superior athlete. i'll grant you that he's not a great basketball player yet - but as an athlete, he's in zion's territory. he's definitely got a long way to go as an offensive player - but here's a tidbit for you - isaac okoro from three this year (20 of 70 for 29%). pons from three this year (30 of 86 for 35%). in no way am i saying that pons is the better of the two, but offensively right now - he's got the edge over okoro in that department. and we won't get okoro because of his draft placement - whereas pons will be there available and cheap at 33.

for a guy who was a supreme disappointment his first two years at tennessee - he really blossomed this year - averaged 11 ppg after having scored 10 points in only one game his entire first two seasons - it shows that he's starting to find his spots offensively. and barnes played the hell out of him - 190 of a possible 200 minutes in their final 5 games - 34 mpg on the season - he knew how valuable he was to have on the court, plus it speaks highly of pons strength and conditioning as well.

i think you and i will just have to disagree on yves.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.