Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 pm i'll use this lull in our normal programming to pump the garza once again.

some mock draft site - can't remember who - recently had jon teske (7-1 265 lb C from michigan), mocked as a late second rounder. let's take a look at the matchup when he met garza this year. two games - michigan won the first, iowa won the second.

teske - 15/3.5/5 (nice on the assists - decent points - pretty meh rebounding)

garza - 38.5/7.5/0 (overpowering offense - decent rebounding - zippo assists, but to be expected from a center when he's scoring at will).

i don't know why nobody talks about this guy - especially a big center, who runs the floor hard, always plays with a high motor, despises low effort, has a 7-1 wingspan and shoots 39% from deep.
Because they don't think he can cover wings on the perimeter and that is NO SHIT the reason. Too tall!
But NO ONE talks about him. I must have my head screwed on sideways. If other big trad centers get mocked - stewart, carey jr., azubuike, perry, richards, queta, teske - why does a similarly sized center, who is having the best year of any of the bunch and who is a legit POY candidate, not get ANY attention from draft scouts? In big ten play, he outperformed all the comp - oturu, teske, tillman, wesson - all who show up on mocks, unlike garza.
All modern new NBA bullshit. Most of the guys you list will go 2nd or undrafted. Honestly Oturo is the only guy you listed I would bet on being in the 1st. I would attempt to explain it to you but how do you explain stupid?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

You are right about some of them - i only bring them up because they have been included in mocks. But i do think all three of oturu, carey jr and stewart go first round - with perry and richards - maybe tillman early to mid second. Btw i think tillman is going to be a solid pro.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

We should draft whoever lives through the plague.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

toppin - maledon - garza. that's my new wish list.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

I can't get a good read on Maledon.

He's raw in some aspects but shows some good instincts in others (he seems to be familiar with the snake dribble out of the PnR, something you see CP3 using a lot, for example). There's enough to be interested but I don't know why, I just get a weird feeling with him.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shangrila wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:35 am I can't get a good read on Maledon.

He's raw in some aspects but shows some good instincts in others (he seems to be familiar with the snake dribble out of the PnR, something you see CP3 using a lot, for example). There's enough to be interested but I don't know why, I just get a weird feeling with him.
i like the fact that he's a young combo with good size - and with only two PGs in the stable (dlo and jmac) - and nowell still way on the bubble because he can't seem to hit an nba three to save his life (the reason he was drafted) - maledon seems like a good fit for both areas. if he turns out to just be a rotational guy, good. if he turns into being a really good player - then we've got someone who can pair with either dlo or beasley.

i don't like the fact that he describes himself as laid back and sort of shy. seems a bit culverish in that regard - and do we need more of that? i think the good outweighs the bad though. some of the laid back nature of the team has been replaced with our new additions - dlo, beasley, juancho, jj, jmac, vandy - all bring more fire to the court than some of the guys we had before them - so we might be okay with a personality like maledon.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

I don't get the Maledon love. He may be good, I don't know. But I just don't see it. I think he's the one getting the Doncic is good and he's a euro treatment.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i never hear that comp for maledon - hear it about avdija all the time. but like i said, i think given he's a midfirst - and midfirsts often don't come in and take the league by storm, they develop - and that we have just two PGs, plus a young shooting guard on the bubble who can't seem to shoot (nowell) - maledon, provides value and upside as a reserve for both spots. and what if he turns out to be actually quite good - and you could productively pair him in the backcourt with either beasley or Dlo? just gives us more flexibility - and it's not like you're squarepegging a guy into a round hole. he's a legitimate combo with legit size that can play both spots.

the only thing i don't like about him are the reports that he's laid back and shy. but, as i also pointed out earlier, that's not nearly the problem on our squad now that it was at the beginning of the year - especially if we take toppin with our first. our team makeup is now much more fiery and high motor than before.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Tre Jones just declared, any interest? According to this, we should have the 16th pick if everything stays as is:

http://www.tankathon.com/full_draft

Not sure I'd take him there, but if he was still there at 33, you jump on that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think he'd be fine at 33 if we've covered other needs. but there are other second rounder PGs i like better. i think payton pritchard is one tough SOB. probably wouldn't go wrong with either.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:42 pm i never hear that comp for maledon - hear it about avdija all the time. but like i said, i think given he's a midfirst - and midfirsts often don't come in and take the league by storm, they develop - and that we have just two PGs, plus a young shooting guard on the bubble who can't seem to shoot (nowell) - maledon, provides value and upside as a reserve for both spots. and what if he turns out to be actually quite good - and you could productively pair him in the backcourt with either beasley or Dlo? just gives us more flexibility - and it's not like you're squarepegging a guy into a round hole. he's a legitimate combo with legit size that can play both spots.

the only thing i don't like about him are the reports that he's laid back and shy. but, as i also pointed out earlier, that's not nearly the problem on our squad now that it was at the beginning of the year - especially if we take toppin with our first. our team makeup is now much more fiery and high motor than before.
Not a comp. Just the euro fascination.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i like maledon for that spot in the draft. i think mannion will still be there as well, but he doesn't give you slot flexibility that maledon does. mannion has slipped from his earlier status a lottery pick - and mostly due to his play.

example - a guy i like as a second rounder PG, payton pritchard, played against mannion twice this season and kind of exposed where he's at developmentally. mannion had decent games - averaged 16.5/3.5/5.5 - but pritchard got the best of him averaging 28.0/6.5/5.0 in pretty much head to head matchups. and while no one is suggesting that pritchard is a first rounder talent (can bomb well from very deep though - 41%) - the fact that a tough senior guard who's a maybe mid second rounder does that against mannion, it doesn't bode well for how the kid will do against nba PGs.

just think you might have higher upside in maledon to develop on both ends of the court - and at two positions.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:19 am i like maledon for that spot in the draft. i think mannion will still be there as well, but he doesn't give you slot flexibility that maledon does. mannion has slipped from his earlier status a lottery pick - and mostly due to his play.

example - a guy i like as a second rounder PG, payton pritchard, played against mannion twice this season and kind of exposed where he's at developmentally. mannion had decent games - averaged 16.5/3.5/5.5 - but pritchard got the best of him averaging 28.0/6.5/5.0 in pretty much head to head matchups. and while no one is suggesting that pritchard is a first rounder talent (can bomb well from very deep though - 41%) - the fact that a tough senior guard who's a maybe mid second rounder does that against mannion, it doesn't bode well for how the kid will do against nba PGs.

just think you might have higher upside in maledon to develop on both ends of the court - and at two positions.
Just don't see your fascination with another PG. The "can play 2 spots" argument means nothing as we have 10 guys who can play 2. Have no issue taking a PG to groom in the 2nd but we have glaring needs even if the idiot doesn't see them. We need a starting 4 and a 3 and D wing with size. There are excellent one's at our 1sts. You would have to be a................Rosas to ignore that. There would have to be a trade with Culver and another 2 to make me even consider taking anything but a 4 and a big 3.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you don't think culver could become a swiss army knife glue guy starter at the 3? i think he could and might thrive in that role. all he needs is 8-10 more pounds of strength in this long offseason and i think he'd be good. think evan turner at his best. and turner's a career 29% three baller - culver shot that his rookie season, while ending really well - something like 46% his last 10 games. i think every starting five needs a guy like that. good defender, makes the extra pass, fifth option on O, does a little of everything, won't crap the bed when he has to put the ball on the floor. and considering turner was an overall #2 pick, culver's got a low bar to be better than that.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am you don't think culver could become a swiss army knife glue guy starter at the 3? i think he could and might thrive in that role. all he needs is 8-10 more pounds of strength in this long offseason and i think he'd be good. think evan turner at his best. and turner's a career 29% three baller - culver shot that his rookie season, while ending really well - something like 46% his last 10 games. i think every starting five needs a guy like that. good defender, makes the extra pass, fifth option on O, does a little of everything, won't crap the bed when he has to put the ball on the floor. and considering turner was an overall #2 pick, culver's got a low bar to be better than that.
I do think Culver can be that but I don't want to limit him to the 3. How is just playing 3 equal Swiss army knife? If we keep him I want him to be a different thing every night. Extra ball handler, defensive stopper, injury backup. I want a legit sized defender who can rebound starting at the 3.

And I also think we sell low on Culver so Rosas can get him out of here. It's hurting his ego and all decisions are made by Rosas ego.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm just saying the three because that's where we have a hole. i think we should fill the PF hole with the lottery draft pick. the PG, SG and C spots are filled - and whoa! wait a minute! we have an overall utility guy with decent SF size who we drafted at 6 last year?

i just think it's worth trying - because he does have the potential to do a lot of things well, things that help teams - and wouldn't be a bad fifth offensive option as a starter. he almost averaged 10 ppg his rookie year with the worst alltime FT percentage in the history of guards. that'll go up as will his confidence and so will his scoring.

you've probably seen my wish list:

dlo - jmac - maledon
beas - okogie - nowell
culver - layman - vandy
toppin - juancho - jj
kat - naz - garza

i think it's a solid squad. if achiuwa is there at 16, i'd be tempted to go for him there - and get the backup PG with the second rounder. hagans, jones, pritchard, etc. still do like maledon's comboness however - and am positive that garza is going to surprise folks by being a solid bench nba C.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

funny how these mocks go and how differently people see things.

i think it's out of charlotte today - there's a mock from some writer who has us taking Killian Hayes at 3 and then Patrick Williams at 16. and then he says that, if the Twolves can pull that off, Rosas should get a raise.

what's he have to do to pull that off? both of those picks are big reaches. yuck.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm funny how these mocks go and how differently people see things.

i think it's out of charlotte today - there's a mock from some writer who has us taking Killian Hayes at 3 and then Patrick Williams at 16. and then he says that, if the Twolves can pull that off, Rosas should get a raise.

what's he have to do to pull that off? both of those picks are big reaches. yuck.
Was looking at some last night and watching some mock vids on youtube and what I said last week was an understatement. This is going to be the craziest most fucked up draft ever. I've never seen such varying opinions on guys in my life. And it still kills me the number that have the wolves taking 2 guards and traditional bigs. As usual no one pays any attention the the Wolves past their 1 or 2 names. Saw 2 vids that had us taking 2 guard because we really need one to complement Towns and Russell. Pay no attention to the best player on our team after the trades or anything.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I would consider hayes at 15 if he slipped. But 3!?!?!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Toppin is Derrick Williams 2.0
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Draft Express

Obi Toppin

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Explosive leaper with solid size. Big hands. Runs the floor hard. One of the most efficient transition finishers in college basketball. Lob threat out of pick-and-roll and from the dunker spot.
- Versatile offensive skill set. Can space the floor vertically, pop out to 3 with sound mechanics and score in the post. Takes advantage of switches with jump hooks over either shoulder or quick spins. Comfortable post passer. Handles double teams fairly well. Sound feel for the game.
- Has fairly sharp defensive instincts even though he's a bit limited on that end. Plays the passing lanes and is comfortable protecting the rim in a pinch. Spent most of the season playing center and has decent verticality and shot-blocking timing when he's fully engaged.

Improvement areas
- Lacks a degree of versatility and upside on the defensive end. Upright mover with choppy strides. Struggles to sit down and slide with perimeter forwards. Doesn't change direction all that well. Discipline comes and goes as a pick-and-roll defender. Has issues with more physical bigs given his light base. Buried in the post regularly. Not always the most engaged rebounder. Can he play any small-ball 5 in the NBA?
- Not the most polished perimeter player for a modern 4. Benefited from playing the 5 with shooting and skill surrounding him. Upright ball handler. Not really a dynamic shooter.
- Gets moved off his spots easily in the paint. Doesn't always maintain balance in a crowd. Was effective on the block in college, but will he be able to punish switches regularly in the NBA? High floor but what's his ceiling at age 22 with some limitations on the defensive end?

Projected role: Run-and-jump big with stretch skills
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Trade the top 5 pick, JJ, and Omari for Aaron Gordon. Draft Tre Jones with the Brooklyn pick

Dlo 34 mins
Culver 26 mins
Layman 22 mins
Gordon 28 mins
KAT 34 mins

Tre 18 min
Beasley 26 mins
Okogie 22 mins
Juancho 15 mins
Naz 15 mins

Jmac
Nowell
Vandy

There’s your 13 man squad, playoffs here we come!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so jmac, who totally was one of our bright lights at the end of the season, way outperforming expectations - gets zero minutes.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm so jmac, who totally was one of our bright lights at the end of the season, way outperforming expectations - gets zero minutes.
He’s been good but he can’t really guard. I would take Tre Jones over him as the backup PG. Because Tre can distribute as well and defend with his 6’3 frame.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm so jmac, who totally was one of our bright lights at the end of the season, way outperforming expectations - gets zero minutes.
He’s been good but he can’t really guard. I would take Tre Jones over him as the backup PG. Because Tre can distribute as well and defend with his 6’3 frame.
but he's a waste of a pick at 16 because he will likely still be there at 33.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:46 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 pm
but he's a waste of a pick at 16 because he will likely still be there at 33.
No way he’s gonna be there at 33. I’d put a friendly wager on that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

still too high for him. there are too many other decent PGs in the draft to go all the way up to 16 for tre jones.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it'll never happen in reality, but i might be hopping off the toppin train and onto the okongwu matatu.

can defend in the post - check. can defend the perimeter - check. quality dude - check. high motor - check. thick - check. can play both PF and C - check. can defend the rim - check. great rebounder - check. highly athletic - check. coachable - check. efficient scorer (62% - large number of dunks) - check. but also hits his FTs (72%) - check. doesn't need to dominate the ball to have an impact offensively - check. not a complete cipher on that end of the court (16.2ppg - career high of 33) - check.

i know he's not rosas' kind of guy - but damn, i'd like to see what he'd bring defensively paired with KAT. and the damage he could do on drive and lobs while the opposition has to focus on DLo, beas and KAT. he hasn't been the 3 point shooter that toppin's been - but i think what he'd bring to the defense is more important considering the PT that KAT, Dlo and beas will get.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 pm it'll never happen in reality, but i might be hopping off the toppin train and onto the okongwu matatu.

can defend in the post - check. can defend the perimeter - check. quality dude - check. high motor - check. thick - check. can play both PF and C - check. can defend the rim - check. great rebounder - check. highly athletic - check. coachable - check. efficient scorer (62% - large number of dunks) - check. but also hits his FTs (72%) - check. doesn't need to dominate the ball to have an impact offensively - check. not a complete cipher on that end of the court (16.2ppg - career high of 33) - check.

i know he's not rosas' kind of guy - but damn, i'd like to see what he'd bring defensively paired with KAT. and the damage he could do on drive and lobs while the opposition has to focus on DLo, beas and KAT. he hasn't been the 3 point shooter that toppin's been - but i think what he'd bring to the defense is more important considering the PT that KAT, Dlo and beas will get.
The idiot basically told you tonight that he will take only Toppin if he takes a 4 and it's not likely that he does. Because our PG's should be able to rebound against other team's 7 footers.

Net impact! What a wet shit he is. Maybe he actually lucks into taking Obi. Anyone think we are that lucky? Get ready for our new 2 rebound a night 3 named Melo Ball.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Lol thrill your post make me laugh dude lmao