Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: *** Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by HeHateMe »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 pm Can a draft pick be involved in a s&t? JJ and the Brooklyn pick for Jerami Grant? Pick Okongwu with our pick, resign Beas and Juancho.
Dlo, Beas, Grant, Okongwu, KAT....Jmac, Culver, Layman, Oke and Reid off the bench.
Grant has a player option -- assuming he opts out he couldn't sign anywhere until July. So it would be a bit tricky, I suppose you could say "the draft rights to this pick" + Culver for him but then what's Grant getting for a salary? If you include the draft pick's salary then you can't trade him for 30 days -- the whole Wiggins/Love fiasco.
I assumed it would be complicated. But adding a defensive minded SF and PF would be excellent, especially with Grant being able to shoot some. He'll most likely end up in NY at something ridiculous like 18 to 20 a year if Denver says that's too rich.
Denver won't be able to do much unless they move Gary Harris or Will Barton. Jokic and Murray are both on max deals beginning next year. Denver did get Houston's first in the Covington/Beasley trade. Maybe that's their future PF.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 am
digitalwolf wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am

Grant has a player option -- assuming he opts out he couldn't sign anywhere until July. So it would be a bit tricky, I suppose you could say "the draft rights to this pick" + Culver for him but then what's Grant getting for a salary? If you include the draft pick's salary then you can't trade him for 30 days -- the whole Wiggins/Love fiasco.
I assumed it would be complicated. But adding a defensive minded SF and PF would be excellent, especially with Grant being able to shoot some. He'll most likely end up in NY at something ridiculous like 18 to 20 a year if Denver says that's too rich.
Denver won't be able to do much unless they move Gary Harris or Will Barton. Jokic and Murray are both on max deals beginning next year. Denver did get Houston's first in the Covington/Beasley trade. Maybe that's their future PF.
No, I know they are pretty strapped. That's why JJ could be useful for them to play some stop gap PF with whoever they draft/bring in. IMO, he's the younger Cov type of player I said we should be able to get with the assets we have. Can shoot, can defend, he's just a few years younger. I know he's going to be pursued by essentially everyone with space, but again, adding him with a rim protector like Okongwu, all of the sudden we can play a little on both sides of the ball. I'm extremely happy we addressed shooting for the first time in our franchises history, but now we need a shot blocking big. Even against shut down defenders, guys in the NBA can get into the paint. I don't expect a Gobert like presence, but we need to address that. Okongwu would help in a big way, and Grant is solid defensively on the perimeter.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

You're overstating Grant's worth.

He's not a bad player but he's not getting 18-20mil a year. He'll probably get around the same as what he's getting now, which is close to the MLE.

If we're drafting a defensive guy I'd take a long look at Patrick Williams out of FSU. More potential than production (but still produces) and fits what they want out of those forward spots.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

shangrila wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:31 am You're overstating Grant's worth.

He's not a bad player but he's not getting 18-20mil a year. He'll probably get around the same as what he's getting now, which is close to the MLE.

If we're drafting a defensive guy I'd take a long look at Patrick Williams out of FSU. More potential than production (but still produces) and fits what they want out of those forward spots.
NY will sign him for no less than 15 per year....I think both them and Detroit will be looking to add his services and they both have plenty of cash. If he's only getting 9-12, then we need to cut bait with Juancho and sign him ASAP. He's the best 3/D guy on the market...and again, adding him and Okongwu would upgrade our defense as much as adding Beas and Dlo upgraded our shooting.

That being said, if he's only getting an offer of 9-12, even if it's 4 years...he's going to take his option and play for next offseason when more teams have cash. Because the market is so dry this offseason, I think he stands to make way more than your suggesting, and I'm assuming NY is the ones that pay it to him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:59 am

NY will sign him for no less than 15 per year....I think both them and Detroit will be looking to add his services and they both have plenty of cash. If he's only getting 9-12, then we need to cut bait with Juancho and sign him ASAP. He's the best 3/D guy on the market...and again, adding him and Okongwu would upgrade our defense as much as adding Beas and Dlo upgraded our shooting.

That being said, if he's only getting an offer of 9-12, even if it's 4 years...he's going to take his option and play for next offseason when more teams have cash. Because the market is so dry this offseason, I think he stands to make way more than your suggesting, and I'm assuming NY is the ones that pay it to him.
I would be SHOCKED if he got 15 mil on anything other than a one year deal. He is down the list of players who are FAs and only 5 teams have anything substantial. By the time these teams pay real money I don't think there will be 15 mil left for him. He is going to get slightly above the MLE is my guess, some team that has that space left after the buying period. Mathematically, MN could be one of those teams. Not that I am saying it is going to happen.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am

I would be SHOCKED if he got 15 mil on anything other than a one year deal. He is down the list of players who are FAs and only 5 teams have anything substantial. By the time these teams pay real money I don't think there will be 15 mil left for him. He is going to get slightly above the MLE is my guess, some team that has that space left after the buying period. Mathematically, MN could be one of those teams. Not that I am saying it is going to happen.
NY is taking a PG in the draft and they need a wing to put next to Barrett, I'd bet my house they are going after Grant, if they just gave Bobby Portis 2 for 30, I have no doubt that Grant gets that with ease, he's better and younger, fits with Mitch and RJ. 3yr, 45 million will be his asking price, and I'm going to bet he gets it. That's why S&T for him would be great (despite it not being possible) I like what JJ brings, but he's most likely not here after next season, probably not even the deadline. If we landed Grant, and then drafted my choice at PF, we upgraded shooting and defense. A real rim protector with a guy that can guard the best wing opponent. That would be a dream offseason, and I think we're a playoff team with those additions.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:34 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am

NY is taking a PG in the draft and they need a wing to put next to Barrett, I'd bet my house they are going after Grant, if they just gave Bobby Portis 2 for 30, I have no doubt that Grant gets that with ease, he's better and younger, fits with Mitch and RJ. 3yr, 45 million will be his asking price, and I'm going to bet he gets it. That's why S&T for him would be great (despite it not being possible) I like what JJ brings, but he's most likely not here after next season, probably not even the deadline. If we landed Grant, and then drafted my choice at PF, we upgraded shooting and defense. A real rim protector with a guy that can guard the best wing opponent. That would be a dream offseason, and I think we're a playoff team with those additions.
There are also rumors they might go after Paul. Either way, Grant is not going to get 15 mil on a long-term deal, the few teams who have space will spend it on other players, then the Grant's of the world come into play. Which would be likely slightly higher than the MLE.

Grant is likely outside the top 10 FAs and maybe closer to 15 or so, meaning money is going to dry up some before it gets to him.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I just don't know what OKC would want from NY, but I do think they'd love to move him out the door this summer since SGA is legit but I don't know why they would want Randle and Portis. Keeping CP3 is expensive, but taking back useless garbage isn't great either. But if you think Grant is only going to be getting essentially exactly what he's making, he might just opt in and gamble for next year. Either way, he's exactly the type of guy we'd want at SF. He's not as good as Cov defensively, but he's very good (and younger) and he's absolutely a better shooter.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Who would we take between Wiseman, Edwards, and Avdija?
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm Who would we take between Wiseman, Edwards, and Avdija?
I hope Wiseman if we think he can guard PF's
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm Who would we take between Wiseman, Edwards, and Avdija?
"Would" is hard to say. Who they SHOULD take is Avdija.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm still very wary of avdija. he's zooming up the boards based on some recent good play - but there's definitely a doncic-coattails thing going on. and this guy has nothing close to the resume doncic brought to the league. he could be a really good nba player - but there's so much projection/wishful thinking going on right now over him.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

shangrila wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:43 pm
Just wow. I look froward to 15 years of laughing at you for saying you'd take Avdija over Edwards. Right after I'm done laughing at the notion of the idiot passing on everyone within 3 inches of Wiseman because they are too tall.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm
Just wow. I look froward to 15 years of laughing at you for saying you'd take Avdija over Edwards. Right after I'm done laughing at the notion of the idiot passing on everyone within 3 inches of Wiseman because they are too tall.
:lol:

What a perfectly measured and reasonable response to my post. Bravo.

But in all seriousness, Edwards is a perennial lottery ticket. He has way too much he needs to improve to become a winning piece that it's not reasonable to expect it. You want to hitch your wagon to that, by all means. All it's going to lead to is the occasional flashy box score and a whole lot of Ls.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

shangrila wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm

But in all seriousness, Edwards is a perennial lottery ticket. He has way too much he needs to improve to become a winning piece that it's not reasonable to expect it. You want to hitch your wagon to that, by all means. All it's going to lead to is the occasional flashy box score and a whole lot of Ls.
See you every day for the next 15 years so I can remind you. Let me know which new name you are hiding behind when I do. But perfectly measured and reasonable to have multiple accounts to hide behind. :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i could see us picking edwards ... and then playing him at the 3, thereby negating any physical advantage he now enjoys over college SGs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:59 pm
shangrila wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 pm

See you every day for the next 15 years so I can remind you. Let me know which new name you are hiding behind when I do. But perfectly measured and reasonable to have multiple accounts to hide behind. :lol:
Cool, looking forward to it.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 pm i could see us picking edwards ... and then playing him at the 3, thereby negating any physical advantage he now enjoys over college SGs.
3's couldn't guard him either. He has what look like freaky long arms and is tough enough to board the position. Love to have him at either spot but more likely we'd move off pick 1 or 2 which is where he's going. He's got the most superstar potential and it might not be close. But I'd take Obi and a future pick any day.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Has anyone heard anything about moving the draft? If they don't think how crazy it could be. Strange enough we get no conference or NCAA tourney to change opinions. No one here really pays constant attention to draft stuff other than me and Yummy but believe me, it changes a ton. So many guys jump way up off the 2-3 weeks of tourney's. Guys drop when their teams don't make one and they are out of sight.

Then there are no predraft camps? No combine? So many guys who weren't getting drafted get drafted off those. If they don't happen it could be really weird. Was a weak draft and that usually means more fringe guys declare to avoid next year's strong one. Then you at least get depth. Will those guys stay in school now? Will even more declare after all this shit? Will the draft be held mid way through the playoffs?

Could be really weird.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i won't be surprised if predraft camps and the combine are cancelled. and with no end of season tournies and no march madness and no nba season - what is preventing all eligible players from declaring and teams starting individual workouts whenever they'd like? that could and maybe should happen to give teams more info to base their picks on. i suppose a lot of this is dependent on the slim chance that play and playoffs will resume this season - but does anyone seriously think that will happen given the arc of the pandemic?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:18 pm i won't be surprised if predraft camps and the combine are cancelled. and with no end of season tournies and no march madness and no nba season - what is preventing all eligible players from declaring and teams starting individual workouts whenever they'd like? that could and maybe should happen to give teams more info to base their picks on. i suppose a lot of this is dependent on the slim chance that play and playoffs will resume this season - but does anyone seriously think that will happen given the arc of the pandemic?
They can't do individual workouts now either. They also will have to come to agreement with the always reasonable NCAA on declaration date. I really do not feel good about this. Already don't trust the idiot to know one thing about NCAA. Know for a fact the idiot will override his scouts because they can't possibly be as smart as him. And he will be making the greatest decision ever with no info because you know he never watched a single guy until now. Get ready for a spread sheet pick. Well, maybe not considering the 25% 3 shooter he took last time.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it could be a year to scoop up some nice UDFAs. seems like the combine always highlights some player who shows up with fantastic measurables and then goes way higher than they'd normally go. someone like yves pons. in a normal year, he'd show up at the combine - have something like a 58 inch vertical - and wind up as a late first rounder because of it. now, he'll be a UDFA. all in all, i think it throws the entire second round into a state of what the hell. and maybe benefits someone like luka garza - who still doesn't show up anywhere - but now a team in the second round might just go "what the hell, take the big dude from iowa who averaged 24 in the big ten". still hoping we get him somehow. i'd love a C threesome of KAT, naz and garza.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:25 pm it could be a year to scoop up some nice UDFAs. seems like the combine always highlights some player who shows up with fantastic measurables and then goes way higher than they'd normally go. someone like yves pons. in a normal year, he'd show up at the combine - have something like a 58 inch vertical - and wind up as a late first rounder because of it. now, he'll be a UDFA. all in all, i think it throws the entire second round into a state of what the hell. and maybe benefits someone like luka garza - who still doesn't show up anywhere - but now a team in the second round might just go "what the hell, take the big dude from iowa who averaged 24 in the big ten". still hoping we get him somehow. i'd love a C threesome of KAT, naz and garza.
Not just UDFA's but extra 2's should be the easiest thing in the world to acquire. We have the roster spots and a Gleague team to develop. We are also about to have 3 guys making max or close to.

Teams with good scouting departments are going to make a killing this year. Watch the Heat. They probably have no picks right now and will end up with a top 5 rookie class. Because they understand basketball. It is not a computer game. It get won.............surprisingly...........by winners.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:37 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:25 pm it could be a year to scoop up some nice UDFAs. seems like the combine always highlights some player who shows up with fantastic measurables and then goes way higher than they'd normally go. someone like yves pons. in a normal year, he'd show up at the combine - have something like a 58 inch vertical - and wind up as a late first rounder because of it. now, he'll be a UDFA. all in all, i think it throws the entire second round into a state of what the hell. and maybe benefits someone like luka garza - who still doesn't show up anywhere - but now a team in the second round might just go "what the hell, take the big dude from iowa who averaged 24 in the big ten". still hoping we get him somehow. i'd love a C threesome of KAT, naz and garza.
Not just UDFA's but extra 2's should be the easiest thing in the world to acquire. We have the roster spots and a Gleague team to develop. We are also about to have 3 guys making max or close to.

Teams with good scouting departments are going to make a killing this year. Watch the Heat. They probably have no picks right now and will end up with a top 5 rookie class. Because they understand basketball. It is not a computer game. It get won.............surprisingly...........by winners.
if you were implying that we could scoop up some extra 2s, now you're the one being delusional. when has that happened in the history of ever?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 pm

if you were implying that we could scoop up some extra 2s, now you're the one being delusional. when has that happened in the history of ever?
Yeah, I was talking about good organizations not us. Obviously. Any legit organization with 2-4 guys taking most of their cap should have player developmant as plan 2A to getting stars. People still remain oblivious to how GS became GS. Suddenly all anyone remembers is them getting Durant and paying 100 mil in lux.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Definitely have to take Toppin now!

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Yeah, I was talking about good organizations not us. Obviously. Any legit organization with 2-4 guys taking most of their cap should have player developmant as plan 2A to getting stars. People still remain oblivious to how GS became GS. Suddenly all anyone remembers is them getting Durant and paying 100 mil in lux.
oh, did they win some games before KD joined them? i didn't know that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll use this lull in our normal programming to pump the garza once again.

some mock draft site - can't remember who - recently had jon teske (7-1 265 lb C from michigan), mocked as a late second rounder. let's take a look at the matchup when he met garza this year. two games - michigan won the first, iowa won the second.

teske - 15/3.5/5 (nice on the assists - decent points - pretty meh rebounding)

garza - 38.5/7.5/0 (overpowering offense - decent rebounding - zippo assists, but to be expected from a center when he's scoring at will).

i don't know why nobody talks about this guy - especially a big center, who runs the floor hard, always plays with a high motor, despises low effort, has a 7-1 wingspan and shoots 39% from deep.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 pm i'll use this lull in our normal programming to pump the garza once again.

some mock draft site - can't remember who - recently had jon teske (7-1 265 lb C from michigan), mocked as a late second rounder. let's take a look at the matchup when he met garza this year. two games - michigan won the first, iowa won the second.

garza - 38.5/7.5/0 (overpowering offense - decent rebounding - zippo assists, but to be expected from a center when he's scoring at will).

i don't know why nobody talks about this guy - especially a big center, who runs the floor hard, always plays with a high motor, despises low effort, has a 7-1 wingspan and shoots 39% from deep.
Because they don't think he can cover wings on the perimeter and that is NO SHIT the reason. Too tall!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 pm i'll use this lull in our normal programming to pump the garza once again.

Because they don't think he can cover wings on the perimeter and that is NO SHIT the reason. Too tall!
But NO ONE talks about him. I must have my head screwed on sideways. If other big trad centers get mocked - stewart, carey jr., azubuike, perry, richards, queta, teske - why does a similarly sized center, who is having the best year of any of the bunch and who is a legit POY candidate, not get ANY attention from draft scouts? In big ten play, he outperformed all the comp - oturu, teske, tillman, wesson - all who show up on mocks, unlike garza.