Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Timberwolves leadership

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
bubu dubu.

Timberwolves leadership

Post by bubu dubu. »

Basically ditched the veterans this year. Sure, they still got Jeff and RoCo, but those are guys that will fall in line. They took the training wheels off of KAT, which is an understated offseason move.

It had to happen eventually to see what he can be, not just as a talent, but as the leader of this franchise.

I like it.

They made KAT the undisputed leader of this team, for better or for worse.
Style

Re: Timberwolves leadership

Post by Style »

KAT seems to care about the team and puts in work on a daily basis to be a better player. Those two traits alone make for a decent leader. He's never going to be a Draymond/KG type of leader. He's more of a Steph Curry type. Nothing wrong with that. Those spewing garbage about his leadership skills for not being a vocal ahole have their own issues to sort out.

The Wolves and us as fans are extremely lucky to have KAT a part of the organization.

I think Rosas & Friends will eventually find a nice complementary piece to KAT and KATs leadership style. The organization is trending in the right direction despite the inevitable tough year W/L wise ahead.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

No matter what ends up happening, KAT has been stepping the hell up so far in the offseason. Really, really taking over the leadership role and being the face of this franchise.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Been leading us to a bottom 5 defense every year since an actual leader in KG left.

Get back to me when it's actual play and not talk.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm Been leading us to a bottom 5 defense every year since an actual leader in KG left.

While he had an ever-changing cast of characters on his rosters, KG at least had the same coach nearly his entire tenure with the Wolves and they still only got out of the first round once. Their defensive rankings in his first four seasons: 15, 24 (first playoff appearance), 11, 12. Their average league ranking was 15 in Garnett's first 11 seasons (High: 6, Low: 24), so let's not pretend he perennially led a top-ten defense in Minnesota.

His teams played in an entirely different West, too. Their records during their first three playoff appearances (years 2, 3, 4):
KG Year 2: 40-42 (#6 Seed) | Towns Year 2: #8 Seed was 41-41
KG Year 3: 45-37 (#7 Seed) | Towns Year 3: #8 Seed was 47-35 (Minnesota)
KG Year 4: 25-25 (#8 Seed) | Towns Year 4: #8 Seed was 48-34

While KG is the most beloved player in Wolves history, there's been a bit of revisionist history with how he and his teams performed for 11 seasons. That should illustrate just how poorly this team has been run since 2007.

Towns: Three coaches in four seasons
Wiggs: Four coaches in five seasons

Teammates Towns has had with him since year one: Andrew Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng
Teammates Wiggs has had with him since year one: Gorgui Dieng

How are either of these guys supposed to build something special if they have to change rosters and coaches every season?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

memyworld wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm Been leading us to a bottom 5 defense every year since an actual leader in KG left.

While he had an ever-changing cast of characters on his rosters, KG at least had the same coach nearly his entire tenure with the Wolves and they still only got out of the first round once. Their defensive rankings in his first four seasons: 15, 24 (first playoff appearance), 11, 12. Their average league ranking was 15 in Garnett's first 11 seasons (High: 6, Low: 24), so let's not pretend he perennially led a top-ten defense in Minnesota.

His teams played in an entirely different West, too. Their records during their first three playoff appearances (years 2, 3, 4):

While KG is the most beloved player in Wolves history, there's been a bit of revisionist history with how he and his teams performed for 11 seasons. That should illustrate just how poorly this team has been run since 2007.

Teammates Towns has had with him since year one: Andrew Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng

How are either of these guys supposed to build something special if they have to change rosters and coaches every season?
Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....................................................................playing D?
j2j

Post by j2j »

memyworld wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Googs and Starbury is probably a better supporting cast than the shit around Towns as well.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:53 am KAT needs this roll to work, but he needs to step up as a leader for it to work. I realize it's completely unfair to make KG comparisons, but I don't recall ever wondering if KG would be able to live up to a leadership roll. Moreso I remember wondering if he could tone it down a notch for the new guy's sake. Then he punched Rick Rickert in the face and we were off the the races.

It's just a stark contrast of personalities.
KG consistently deferred to veterans like Sam Mitchell for leadership roles (R-O-L-E-S, not R-O-L-L-S!) early in his career.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 pm (R-O-L-E-S, not R-O-L-L-S!)
YOLO

Back t leadership, time for KAT to stop the whining and put his head down to push everyone through and win.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

LordNu wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 pm
YOLO

Back t leadership, time for KAT to stop the whining and put his head down to push everyone through and win.
That pictured be doctored, homes.

I aint neva seen a Ro Lo wit that much caramel!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:51 pm
YOLO

:lol:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:53 am KAT needs this roll to work, but he needs to step up as a leader for it to work. I realize it's completely unfair to make KG comparisons, but I don't recall ever wondering if KG would be able to live up to a leadership roll. Moreso I remember wondering if he could tone it down a notch for the new guy's sake. Then he punched Rick Rickert in the face and we were off the the races.

It's just a stark contrast of personalities.
KG consistently deferred to veterans like Sam Mitchell for leadership roles (R-O-L-E-S, not R-O-L-L-S!) early in his career.
And did it benefit him? Towns is given the job and ....................................runs off the only other legit star he's played with in less than a year?

Leadership roles are earned. What has he done to earn it other than stat pad? They were absolutely laughing at him and us on The Jump yesterday. Bla bla bla leader, bla bla bla. Laughter followed by want to be a leader and win? Play some D.More laughter. I know at least a couple of you saw it. And going by the odds around here I'm sure you got mad. About the truth.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Saunders made the wrong decision. Wiggins clearly would have been the better choice. He's been stepping up a ton this summer and been trying to become a leader but Saunders shut that shit down and gave it to KAT instead.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

T_J

Post by T_J »

I agree this team rides or dies with KAT. He talks a big game and frankly his generic bullshit answers to every interview are enough already.

But he's got the talent, the situation, and everything set up to be a top 5 guy this year. My concern is can he do away with the early 2 fouls in games, yapping at refs, and looking pouty when he isn't getting calls. That's where he needs to improve alot because that sets the tone for everyone around him this year when he's far and away the entire franchise. He needs to set the tone that he's bringing it every night and that to rub off on everyone else. If not, he's still gonna average like 30-15, but they're going to win 30 games. I'm hopeful he can set a tone for everyone and they overachieve close to .500.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am Saunders made the wrong decision. Wiggins clearly would have been the better choice. He's been stepping up a ton this summer and been trying to become a leader but Saunders shut that shit down and gave it to KAT instead.
And you know this how?
Wiggins has had plenty of time to "step up" and still hasn't. I don't think Saunders "gave" KAT anything. I think KAT knows someone has to for the future, and he doesn't see it in Wiggins. Wiggins best bet is to focus on his own game and let KAT lead.

I still think it's an unfair comparison for just about all the reasons MMW said. Plus it's a different era now. Not everybody needs to have a clear cut leader, because KG sure wasn't it here for many years. Heart and soul, yes, but leader....No.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:07 am And did it benefit him? Towns is given the job and ....................................runs off the only other legit star he's played with in less than a year?

Runs off? :lol:
Where did you read Towns was "given" the leadership role? Maybe he was asked to step up, but "given" is a stretch. It's not like they said, hey guys bring it in....Towns will be your commander so listen to everything he says. This isn't the Army.
But I digress. It's Thrillkill. Are you even a fan of this team? Have you had any positive post?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am Saunders made the wrong decision. Wiggins clearly would have been the better choice. He's been stepping up a ton this summer and been trying to become a leader but Saunders shut that shit down and gave it to KAT instead.
And you know this how?
Wiggins has had plenty of time to "step up" and still hasn't. I don't think Saunders "gave" KAT anything. I think KAT knows someone has to for the future, and he doesn't see it in Wiggins. Wiggins best bet is to focus on his own game and let KAT lead.

I still think it's an unfair comparison for just about all the reasons MMW said. Plus it's a different era now. Not everybody needs to have a clear cut leader, because KG sure wasn't it here for many years. Heart and soul, yes, but leader....No.
That post was 100% sarcasm. :thumbsup:

People can hate on KAT all they want but this summer he is actually stepping up and doing all the right things. Whether or not it leads to anything during the season is another question, but you can't hate him for doing what he is doing so far this off season.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:07 am And did it benefit him? Towns is given the job and ....................................runs off the only other legit star he's played with in less than a year?

Where did you read Towns was "given" the leadership role? Maybe he was asked to step up, but "given" is a stretch. It's not like they said, hey guys bring it in....Towns will be your commander so listen to everything he says. This isn't the Army.
But I digress. It's Thrillkill. Are you even a fan of this team? Have you had any positive post?
Certainly not about Karl Anthony Towns.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Have you had any realistic ones? I have never had any post that doesn't acknowledge Kat's otherworldly offensive talent. He's a freak. Could he suck it up and play a little D with the only guy who gave him a chance to win? No. No he could not. To a level that he ran off a guy who considered the coach the guy who made him. That's how bad Butler wanted out.

There is no one here who is more of a Wolves fan than me. No one loves basketball more than me and no one has been a fan of the Wolves longer since I was here from day one. If you want to blame me for calling our cheap ass Taylor as I have from day 1 have fun. Want to get mad that I called out everyone's new hero for fucking up the draft go ahead. Want to get mad that I am apparently the only one who understands that defense is half the game? OK. Enjoy your awesome jersey and allstar who you play on you vid game. Anyone interested in winning basketball knows we never win until Kat takes it serious. Every single basketball person knows it. They straight up say it on ever basketball show over and over. Every opposing coach singles him out and abuses him. But just go ahead and ignore it. Kat scores points and your vid game and jersey prove it.

What do wins have to do with anything?
T_J

Post by T_J »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 pm
And you know this how?

People can hate on KAT all they want but this summer he is actually stepping up and doing all the right things. Whether or not it leads to anything during the season is another question, but you can't hate him for doing what he is doing so far this off season.
If you could win a title in the offseason with cool instagram workout videos, our former big 3 would have 3-4 rings already.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Rolos are great. Underrated candy.

That is my contribution to this thread.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

YOLO

He ain't lying. He ain't lying!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 pm
And you know this how?

:lol: :oops:
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

YBBR wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 am

YOLO

He ain't lying. He ain't lying!
Oh thats how much caramel is in them. They photographer just puts one on its side at room temp and the caramel goes to one side. They then cut and take the pic. Candy magic yall! Do love Rolo's though.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I am starting to think a new nickname for RoCo involving Rolo. RocoRolo? Leader of our team and leader amongst chocolates.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

RoCoLo

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pmRoCoLo
Reminds me of Wesley Willis - "Rock over London, Rock on Chicago"
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pmRoCoLo
Reminds me of Wesley Willis - "Rock over London, Rock on Chicago"
Wesley Willis is an American institution.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

RoCoLo reminds me of Recola!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I’m sure it’ll work out.

Most things work out for the Minnesota timberwolves.

😂
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.