Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What will the starting lineup be **POLL**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Starters

Teague, Okogie, Wiggins, RoCo KAT
17%
Teague, Wiggins, Roco, Bell, KAT
28%
Teague, Culver, Wiggins, Roco, KAT
17%
Teague, Wiggins, Roco, Vonleh, KAT
22%
Other, **MUST SAY WHAT IF YOU VOTE THIS**
17%

Total votes: 18

Rusty Kuntz

What will the starting lineup be **POLL**

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

What do you think the opening day starting lineup will be? There's a lot of options, but I'm going with, Teague, Culver, Wiggins, Roco, KAT.. Lot of flexibility.. Gotta think Teague, Wiggins, Roco and KAT are locks, but that last spot, with Roco, Wiggins, Okogie and Culver being able to play multiple positions, plus the additions of Bell and Vonleh at PF, gonna be interesting :beer:
UnFadeable21

Re: What will the starting lineup be **POLL**

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Johnny Athletic thinks is the first option

I say option 2 is the best mix of offense and defense
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:07 pm Johnny Athletic thinks is the first option

I say option 2 is the best mix of offense and defense
#2 is my second option. Im really hoping JC is that good that he starts day 1 :beer:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I say either #1 or #3.

Switch Okogie and Culver every other night until one takes the spot over.

This team is going to be hot garbage. I'm not worried about who gives you the best chance to win. I want to see all our young guys get plenty of minutes and see what we have for the future.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Other/Teague, Wiggins, RoCo. Dieng, Towns

I think Gorgui has a good chance to crack the starting lineup for stabilities sake and especially if he plays like how he did to end the season. Could definitely see the Towns and G pairing again. Bell would probably play backup C and relieve Karl. Which is more his natural position anyway right?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Teh Tube is right, we are gonna be hot garbage.. gonna be a long season.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:31 pm Teh Tube is right, we are gonna be hot garbage.. gonna be a long season.
Pssh. I've rooted for much worse Timberwolves teams than this. Bring on the season! :beer:
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Just seeing Teague’s name in every lineup makes me want to cry.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

Two others. Okogie and vonleh instead of wigg in the starting lineup.

Make wigg super 6th man and let him beast on benchers. Dudes burnt out and overwhelmed so limiting his minutes is the only way you'll see an energetic version of wigg for 82 games.

And get the fuck over the contract because it's not changing. Tired of hearing the gripes about it with no solutions being offered. "Trade him!". Wtf does that mean? Shit I'd trade kat if the haul was nice enough.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Obviously number 2. Our way to playing winning ball is slow it down and play D and rebound.

What are our obvious weaknesses since KG left? D and rebounding. Who was most at fault on D? Towns in P&R. Who was most at fault rebounding? Wigs at the 3. So now we play RoCo at the 4? Towns would be in P&R on every play. Wigs and Roco are going to be our other frontcourt rebounders? Ludicrous.

Is Towns better beasting in the post and taking a big out to 3 or not getting across half court on the break? What's Roco best at? Spreading the floor and hitting 3's in the half court. Is Wigs good on the break? When did that happen? Opportunity break off D and long rebounds. Other than that pound teams in the half court.

Unless Bell is hurt or a total puke or something he has to start. He makes up for so much of Towns defensive weaknesses. He rebounds so you can keep Wigs as a solid 2 guard rebounder and not an abysmal 3 rebounder. That lineup can crush on the offensive glass and draw a ton of fouls which limits the other teams transition and our transition D was among the worst in the league.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I also kinda like the idea of not running a traditional point with the second unit and throw Culver and Okogie out as the backcourt. Okogie's been working on his handles and passing and Culver has those abilities as well. Those two could be a real terror Throw Napier out there when you need him and maybe go small with Culver at the 3.

Those 2 might be the backcourt of the future. I think it would be kinda cool to build chemistry with them right out the gate.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Roco Bell has a nice ring to it.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ANY of these lineups has the look of a 50 win team!!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 am Obviously number 2. Our way to playing winning ball is slow it down and play D and rebound.

What are our obvious weaknesses since KG left? D and rebounding. Who was most at fault on D? Towns in P&R. Who was most at fault rebounding? Wigs at the 3. So now we play RoCo at the 4? Towns would be in P&R on every play. Wigs and Roco are going to be our other frontcourt rebounders? Ludicrous.

Is Towns better beasting in the post and taking a big out to 3 or not getting across half court on the break? What's Roco best at? Spreading the floor and hitting 3's in the half court. Is Wigs good on the break? When did that happen? Opportunity break off D and long rebounds. Other than that pound teams in the half court.

Unless Bell is hurt or a total puke or something he has to start. He makes up for so much of Towns defensive weaknesses. He rebounds so you can keep Wigs as a solid 2 guard rebounder and not an abysmal 3 rebounder. That lineup can crush on the offensive glass and draw a ton of fouls which limits the other teams transition and our transition D was among the worst in the league.
I think Unfadeable liked # 2 as well. I am all for that, that is a nice athletic lineup. I am hoping like hell that Saunders has some of the PG Whisperer in him that his dad had and can get Teague to turn it loose and play with heart like he once did. If not, I am all for Okogie or Culver taking his spot in that lineup.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:02 am I also kinda like the idea of not running a traditional point with the second unit and throw Culver and Okogie out as the backcourt. Okogie's been working on his handles and passing and Culver has those abilities as well. Those two could be a real terror Throw Napier out there when you need him and maybe go small with Culver at the 3.

Those 2 might be the backcourt of the future. I think it would be kinda cool to build chemistry with them right out the gate.
Been really hoping for that too but not from the beginning of course. Culver is not ready for that and will need to be spoon fed some. But if it ever happens I would just kill to see a huge 2nd unit of Dieng/Naz/Layman/Okogie/Culver.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:28 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 am Obviously number 2. Our way to playing winning ball is slow it down and play D and rebound.

I think Unfadeable liked # 2 as well. I am all for that, that is a nice athletic lineup. I am hoping like hell that Saunders has some of the PG Whisperer in him that his dad had and can get Teague to turn it loose and play with heart like he once did. If not, I am all for Okogie or Culver taking his spot in that lineup.
If healthy I think Teague will have a good year. But I am just looking forward to a lineup that can play D and rebound. Was just hard to watch Gibson and Towns. One was a good P&R defender and one was a good at the rim shot blocker. What a shock that opposing coaches had Towns in the P&R and Gibson "Protecting" the rim. What? Do they watch games or something? Why I always thought Dieng should have started and Taj should have played with the bench unit.

Now you put Towns in P&R and you have a freak shot blocker back there. Other way? You have a freak athlete in the action and Towns doing the one thing he's good at defensively. Not to mention we'd actually have a big that can run the floor. Will help us get easy transition buckets as well as limiting the other team's. The only thing about Bell that doesn't have me super excited is the 1 year deal. But I will not be pissed at all paying him big next year when he does what I think he will.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hornets wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 am ANY of these lineups has the look of a 50 win team!!!
Over 2 or 3 seasons, sure!
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I went with the first option.

I think Culver may supplant Okogie eventually, but he’ll start the season on the bench.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Culver and Okogie aren't capable of starting I would think but then I have no clue who they chose to be the starting PF. I could see them go back to Dieng and go from there.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:42 pm Culver and Okogie aren't capable of starting I would think but then I have no clue who they chose to be the starting PF. I could see them go back to Dieng and go from there.
I like Dieng on the 2nd unit because of his all around play. As I've said 1 billion times though he has to get at least 18 minutes a night or he's not the same player. But currently our 2nd unit looks like a lot of one or two trick guys with no glue. Dieng is awesome glue.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i just don't want to see robert get major minutes at the 4. love him at the three, plus he's still perhaps our most tradeable asset - let's keep him healthy for both options.

plus, with bell and dieng and naz and vonleh and layman and kbd, it just makes no sense to grind roco down at the 4 spot.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Towns, Layman, RoCo, Wiggins, and Culver. Fuck Teague. ;-)

Switch everything.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

j2j wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:57 pm Towns, Layman, RoCo, Wiggins, and Culver. Fuck Teague. ;-)

Switch everything.

Agree, fuck Jeff Teague, but he does have a nice 19mil expiring contract that could really help us at the deadline.. :beer:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Jeff Teague has his moments, but man, the dude is so Jekyll and Hyde. He's either really good or he's just hot trash. Last year, had more hot trash games than his first year here for sure.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I also am not crazy about RoCo playing the 4 for any extended length. He's a tremendous rebounder at the SF position and a lockdown perimeter defender. Playing him at the 4 limits his defensive potential and perimeter opportunities, and also neutralize his rebound skill a bit against taller and bigger guys.

Especially when last year's team struggled to rebound the ball defensively and we lose probably our best defensive rebounder in Taj. Covington at the 3, please!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am
YBBR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:02 am I also kinda like the idea of not running a traditional point with the second unit and throw Culver and Okogie out as the backcourt. Okogie's been working on his handles and passing and Culver has those abilities as well. Those two could be a real terror Throw Napier out there when you need him and maybe go small with Culver at the 3.

Been really hoping for that too but not from the beginning of course. Culver is not ready for that and will need to be spoon fed some. But if it ever happens I would just kill to see a huge 2nd unit of Dieng/Naz/Layman/Okogie/Culver.
Okogie did a pretty great job for Nigeria distributing the ball. Didn't he average over 5 asts a game? With FIBA rules that's pretty impressive for a 2 guard. Let Josh handle!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:09 pm i just don't want to see robert get major minutes at the 4. love him at the three, plus he's still perhaps our most tradeable asset - let's keep him healthy for both options.

plus, with bell and dieng and naz and vonleh and layman and kbd, it just makes no sense to grind roco down at the 4 spot.
There is zero chance of that happening barring catastrophic injuries. That talk was all Rosas covering his ass after not drafting a 4. He's not the coach. And he at least 1 year fixed the problem getting Bell. Maybe for the future getting Naz. Even if Bell utterly flamed out you'd see Layman or Naz more at the 4 than RoCo.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:24 pm Jeff Teague has his moments, but man, the dude is so Jekyll and Hyde. He's either really good or he's just hot trash. Last year, had more hot trash games than his first year here for sure.
Jekyll and Hyde is us playing with and without him. Much as everyone seems to hate him we don't win without him.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

YBBR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:59 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am

Okogie did a pretty great job for Nigeria distributing the ball. Didn't he average over 5 asts a game? With FIBA rules that's pretty impressive for a 2 guard. Let Josh handle!
He played 2 years of "Iverson" PG in college. He's had the ball in his hands before. Culver was the same. Dieng is an excellent passer and Naz is a crazy good passer. Just get it over half court is the only issue. Then there shouldn't be more than 3 dribbles a possession. All gonna depend how long it takes Culver to be ready. And if Naz can maintain that chip on his shoulder.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I’d like to see Vonleh start.

If he can make some threes, I think that’s our best lineup.

Think Dieng, but with more ability to switch onto littles when facing PnRs.

I think Vonleh will improve our defense and free up KAT to be better on O.

I think Bell will restrict our O significantly more than Vonleh.