Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Shabazz Napier

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

Shabazz Napier

Post by memyworld »

Most of the Wolves' offseason acquisitions have their own threads, so I thought this gesture by Shabazz Napier was a good way to kick off the sixth-year guard's thread.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with his role off the bench.

Per 100 Possessions
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: Shabazz Napier

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

He MAY be an upgrade over Tyus Jones for what Saunders and Rosas want to do on this team. Remains to be seen but he’s significantly cheaper and a more reliable 3 point shooter. Tyus was a better team defender and facilitator for others. Will be interesting to see him play early.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:16 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 pm He MAY be an upgrade over Tyus Jones for what Saunders and Rosas want to do on this team. Remains to be seen but he’s significantly cheaper and a more reliable 3 point shooter. Tyus was a better team defender and facilitator for others. Will be interesting to see him play early.
Tyus got his hands on balls and generated steals but I wouldn't call him a good defender. Napier does about the same imo. I think he has more offensive ability and fewer intangibles, but overall its a wash to me.
I mostly agree. That’s why I specified team. I certainly don’t think Tyus was a good individual defender. He was bullied consistently. But he was also smart in his rotations which 75% of the team wasn’t. Overall yea, if it’s a wash the Wolves would be fine with that with Napier making 1.75 million and Tyus 9 million.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 pm He MAY be an upgrade over Tyus Jones for what Saunders and Rosas want to do on this team. Remains to be seen but he’s significantly cheaper and a more reliable 3 point shooter. Tyus was a better team defender and facilitator for others. Will be interesting to see him play early.
Tyus got his hands on balls and generated steals but I wouldn't call him a good defender. Napier does about the same imo. I think he has more offensive ability and fewer intangibles, but overall its a wash to me.
When you compare their careers per 100 possessions, it really is a wash. You get better three-point shooting from Shabazz and better facilitation from Tyus (with a better AST/TO ratio). It will depend on how they want to use Napier.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm
memyworld wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:12 pm

When you compare their careers per 100 possessions, it really is a wash. You get better three-point shooting from Shabazz and better facilitation from Tyus (with a better AST/TO ratio). It will depend on how they want to use Napier.
Im not super down on our pg situation right now. I think there's a good chance teague looks like old teague. If that happens and a couple small things like improvement from okogie, a not horribad wiggins, and culver contributing some, the team could be alright.

You should start a Jeff teague thread since Abe is a douchebag and i cant create threads. We haven't talked about him here much but he is probably one of the biggest determining factors to what we are this year.
This may not be far off. I see several reasons that he has a decent year.

1. NO THIBS! Teague, like just about all the Wolves non-ex-Bulls players regressed terribly under Thibs.
2. He is playing for his next contract.
3. New team philosopy. If you are open TAKE THE THREE! No more angst or indecision. Simple.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bad shooter, keeps shooting. Should be a favorite of all the modern NBA lovers who think 3 point attempts are better than 2 point makes. Everyone else will see JJ lite.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I didn't realize Shabazz is 28 already. I think he'll be a decent backup.

Teague should be playing his ass off so he get to a contender at the deadline plus get paid next summer. If he doesn't, then he's just washed up at this point.

Fun memory lane box score. Look how few good NBA players are in this national title game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo ... ticut.html
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm pretty indifferent on him. This is where it would be awesome if Culver can somehow handle some of the pg duties off the bench. Having Culver do some of that with someone like Nowell on the floor for his shooting skill seems more intriguing then Shabazz handling pg duties and Culver playing a wing spot. Culver's versatility should benefit the team and allow them to put in a smaller shooter like Nowell.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

The final piece to the puzzle.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Machine2020

Post by Machine2020 »

Let's get to camp!

Lebron's pick is now our backup point...I'm fine with that at the cost.

:beer:
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I was the type that questioned how Tyus got drafted....I can't say the same for Napier, but I think he had a little more sizzle coming out. However, there's no doubt in my mind that at very least we have a lateral move in talent with swapping Napier with Tyus. Yeah, they play a bit different....but for the cost, there's such a slim chance Tyus makes us regret not holding onto him at like 9 million a year. Tyus defensively was Ricky lite.....he gambled in the passing lanes, so he naturally came up with a lot of steals. I do like that he's smart with the ball, ala, not a TO machine....but his shot is at best, streaky, he doesn't have great size, and he's far from having an elite first step with some handles. I think offensively Napier gives us more, and defensively, I don't see some sort of massive gap between the two. Considering the cost, I'm not sure how people can't be behind this move. Considering he seems to be a good guy for the community....icing.