Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NBA.com | 2019-20 Rookie Survey

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

NBA.com | 2019-20 Rookie Survey

Post by memyworld »

Pretty quiet showing from the Wolves rookies this season. I suppose Culver didn't have as much AAU time with these guys as the rest of the class.

---

The 2019 Draft class picks favorites for Kia Rookie of the Year, best defender and more

Rookie Survey: Zion Williamson, Ja Morant early favorites to shine in 2019-20

Which rookie will have the best career?
1. Cam Reddish, Atlanta -- 19%
2. Ja Morant, Memphis -- 16%
3. De'Andre Hunter, Atlanta -- 11%
4. R.J. Barrett, New York -- 5%
Jaxson Hayes, New Orleans -- 5%
Coby White, Chicago -- 5%
Zion Williamson, New Orleans -- 5%

Others receiving votes: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, New Orleans; Jarrett Culver, Minnesota; Carsen Edwards, Boston; Darius Garland, Cleveland; Rui Hachimura, Washington; Keldon Johnson, San Antonio; Mfiondu Kabengele, LA Clippers; Romeo Langford, Boston; Cody Martin, Charlotte; Eric Paschall, Golden State; Tremont Waters, Boston; Dylan Windler, Cleveland

Which rookie is the best defender?
1. Matisse Thybulle, Philadelphia -- 37%
2. De'Andre Hunter, Atlanta -- 29%
3. Brandon Clarke, Memphis -- 8%
Jaxson Hayes, New Orleans -- 8%
Nassir Little, Portland -- 8%

Others receiving votes: Bol Bol, Denver; Jarrett Culver, Minnesota; Bruno Fernando, Atlanta; Coby White, Chicago
SHAFA

Re: NBA.com | 2019-20 Rookie Survey

Post by SHAFA »

I always laugh at these things because it’s almost like the Madden curse.

16-17 it was Ingram, Dunn, Hield and Bender
15-16 it was Okafor, KAT, Justin Anderson and Mudiay
14-15 it was Jabari, McDermott, Warren and LaVine
13-14 it was Oladipo, Olynyk, McCollum and Zeller

That’s 5 of 16 whose current careers can’t thus far be described as forgetful.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

What about Culver??

The Chucker - Ahhhhh, Come again.

The players thought the same thing I did when the Wolves drafted this guy so high......basically - WTF?

This guy was falling in the Draft and Rosas broke his fall at 6, when he could have saved a fortune and got him at 11.
Machine2020

Post by Machine2020 »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm What about Culver??

The players thought the same thing I did when the Wolves drafted this guy so high......basically - WTF?

This guy was falling in the Draft and Rosas broke his fall at 6, when he could have saved a fortune and got him at 11.
I'm guessing Thibodeau would have taken him at 11 and then buried him on the bench for 2 years.

Much better result.

:finger:
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

When Zion Williamson only receives 5% of the vote for best career, you know the survey is trash.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
witljon

Post by witljon »

zeitgeist wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 am When Zion Williamson only receives 5% of the vote for best career, you know the survey is trash.
Im sure we have a couple of clowns here who believe in this survey.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm I always laugh at these things because it’s almost like the Madden curse.

16-17 it was Ingram, Dunn, Hield and Bender
15-16 it was Okafor, KAT, Justin Anderson and Mudiay
14-15 it was Jabari, McDermott, Warren and LaVine
13-14 it was Oladipo, Olynyk, McCollum and Zeller

That’s 5 of 16 whose current careers can’t thus far be described as forgetful.
Hield, KAT, LaVine, Oladipo, McCollum? Olynyk is a good player and actually Zeller is too. Not flashy but quality players. Warren is alright.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Why is Coby's name in blue?

Also I think Zion is off to a great start financially.
These surveys are so they don't offend in case they need to hook up in 4 years. Not having injuries are always a big part of a good career.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

How are you guys sold on Zion. He is a freak but i could see him struggle in the NBA. You all think he is gonna make a all star game by year 2 like Lebron. And in the Western conference? Or do you guys just think his wrecking ball style will have no issues translating? I dont think he will bust but I see Larry Johnson personally.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
T_J

Post by T_J »

Seenin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am How are you guys sold on Zion. He is a freak but i could see him struggle in the NBA. You all think he is gonna make a all star game by year 2 like Lebron. And in the Western conference? Or do you guys just think his wrecking ball style will have no issues translating? I dont think he will bust but I see Larry Johnson personally.
I actually think he's overhyped at this point, but what the hell do I know.

I question how well he'll be able to get buckets when he can't get all the way to the rim.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

T_J wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 am
Seenin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am How are you guys sold on Zion. He is a freak but i could see him struggle in the NBA. You all think he is gonna make a all star game by year 2 like Lebron. And in the Western conference? Or do you guys just think his wrecking ball style will have no issues translating? I dont think he will bust but I see Larry Johnson personally.

I question how well he'll be able to get buckets when he can't get all the way to the rim.
I don't see too many players that will be able to stop him. He's kind of short for his weight, but 280 is still 280. I see a Barkley type of game for him. Career again depends on health, and like I said before, 280 is still 280. Knees, ankles, hips don't hold up well under that amount of pressure.

At least we can see him twice a year.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Well, Zion is a physical anomaly, we don't have anyone in the history of the game that has his physical profile. That's not to say he has the best physical tools ever, LeBron is probably a bit better off in that regard, I'd probably give Giannis the edge too but as far as non-centers go, that's about it. Still, Zion is a freakish athlete that weighs 285 lbs! Beyond that, he has a very good handle for his profile, he can pass some, great finisher around the rim, and very active player defensively. He also put up the most impressive statistical college freshman season, perhaps, ever. So this is not just an athlete, this is a smart basketball player that already has a good understanding of how to use his superb athletic gifts.

No prospect is perfect, his shooting needs work, there are questions about long term conditioning, he doesn't have the best wingspan so that will limit him somewhat.

Barring injury, Zion should be a very high impact player in his first 2 seasons with a chance at being a top 20 player.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm What about Culver??

LOL.

Why even post?

You’re soooooooo fucking dumb.

Painfully stupid.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

As zeitgeist said, when Zion Williamson gets 5% you know this a a stupid fucking survey.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:59 am
Well, Zion is a physical anomaly, we don't have anyone in the history of the game that has his physical profile. That's not to say he has the best physical tools ever, LeBron is probably a bit better off in that regard, I'd probably give Giannis the edge too but as far as non-centers go, that's about it. Still, Zion is a freakish athlete that weighs 285 lbs! Beyond that, he has a very good handle for his profile, he can pass some, great finisher around the rim, and very active player defensively. He also put up the most impressive statistical college freshman season, perhaps, ever. So this is not just an athlete, this is a smart basketball player that already has a good understanding of how to use his superb athletic gifts.

No prospect is perfect, his shooting needs work, there are questions about long term conditioning, he doesn't have the best wingspan so that will limit him somewhat.

Barring injury, Zion should be a very high impact player in his first 2 seasons with a chance at being a top 20 player.
Zion reminds me of someone like Larry Johnson - a player that will blow the doors off right out of the gate, but a knee or foot injury away from becoming a solid 3rd or 4th option on a good team 5 years later.

Obviously I don't want that to happen, as he seems like a nice enough kid, but as you said - he's a physical anomaly right now, and who the fuck knows if his body will be able to maintain his style of play.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Based on this survey Zion was falling and the Pelicans could have gotten him at 4, maybe even 8.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm Based on this survey Zion was falling and the Pelicans could have gotten him at 4, maybe even 8.
New Orleans stopped his free fall.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:30 pm
zeitgeist wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:59 am

Zion reminds me of someone like Larry Johnson - a player that will blow the doors off right out of the gate, but a knee or foot injury away from becoming a solid 3rd or 4th option on a good team 5 years later.

Obviously I don't want that to happen, as he seems like a nice enough kid, but as you said - he's a physical anomaly right now, and who the fuck knows if his body will be able to maintain his style of play.
I was a big Larry Johnson fan back in the day. Tough to even consider but even he pales in comparison as an athlete. Zion has about 35 pounds on him and is more athletic.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Larry Hohnsom had a sense of humor. Dressing up as Grandmama and dunking on people. Where are all the old woman cross dresser at now in the NBA? The game has changed...
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
j2j

Post by j2j »

YBBR wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am Larry Hohnsom had a sense of humor. Dressing up as Grandmama and dunking on people. Where are all the old woman cross dresser at now in the NBA? The game has changed...

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

j2j wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:25 am
YBBR wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am Larry Hohnsom had a sense of humor. Dressing up as Grandmama and dunking on people. Where are all the old woman cross dresser at now in the NBA? The game has changed...
I immediately retract my last statement. I also apologize.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:25 am
Holy Shit!

That is a walk-off shot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh. :thumbsup:
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Has there ever been a more annoying so called superstar than Dwight Howard? Just a moronic cancer people keep feeding. I'd sign Charles Shackleford before his punk ass.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm Has there ever been a more annoying so called superstar than Dwight Howard? Just a moronic cancer people keep feeding. I'd sign Charles Shackleford before his punk ass.
I "almost" feel bad for Dwight. Early on in his career he was really, really good and deserved all the praise he got (ignoring his personality). Then he went to LA and everything fell apart and it was all self inflicted.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
j2j

Post by j2j »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm Has there ever been a more annoying so called superstar than Dwight Howard? Just a moronic cancer people keep feeding. I'd sign Charles Shackleford before his punk ass.
Agreed, he's a clown.

D_H

Post by D_H »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 am
T_J wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 am

I don't see too many players that will be able to stop him. He's kind of short for his weight, but 280 is still 280. I see a Barkley type of game for him. Career again depends on health, and like I said before, 280 is still 280. Knees, ankles, hips don't hold up well under that amount of pressure.

At least we can see him twice a year.
He is not even close to Barkley. Maybe physically wise but Barkley had a lot more basketball skills to work with.
j2j

Post by j2j »

We're underselling Zion a bit here. Dude is extremely talented, not JUST a freak athlete. He handles and passes the ball very well.

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Zion is a load down low. Even more than Joker is. He will always be the low man. Good luck moving him off the block. Only thing that will stop him is swollen sore knees. Dude can really pass the ball.
j2j

Post by j2j »

It was Summer League obviously, but that play where he made Kevin Knox his bitch was insane. And the way he cam lead the break and make pinpoint passes off the bounce... Pelicans got a great one.

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 pm It was Summer League obviously, but that play where he made Kevin Knox his bitch was insane. And the way he cam lead the break and make pinpoint passes off the bounce... Pelicans got a great one.
Yes they did. Pelicans have a very bright core.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?