Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Sebastian Telfair sentenced to 3.5 years in prison

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Dan33185

Sebastian Telfair sentenced to 3.5 years in prison

Post by Dan33185 »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/273 ... ars-prison
Former NBA player Sebastian Telfair has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison for illegal gun possession, Brooklyn's district attorney announced Monday.

Telfair, 34, was convicted in April of one count of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, which stemmed from an arrest in January 2017. Police found firearms including a semi-automatic rifle, ammunition, a ballistic vest and marijuana inside a vehicle Telfair was driving during a traffic stop in Brooklyn.

"This defendant exercised his right to a jury trial and was found guilty of possessing an illegal firearm," district attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement. "The mandator y prison sentence he received today is required by law and he has now been held accountable for the unlawful conduct."

Telfair was a first-round draft pick in 2004. He started with the Portland Trail Blazers and spent time with the Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves and other teams before ending his career in China in 2014.

Telfair was also arrested in 2007 after a traffic stop when police found a loaded handgun in the vehicle. He pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a weapon and was sentenced to three years of probation in that case.
Hornets

Re: Sebastian Telfair sentenced to 3.5 years in prison

Post by Hornets »

I remember some dopes in the old Rube Chat thought he was the Pups long term answer at PG after watchin him play ONE GAME! :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Hornets wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm I remember some dopes in the old Rube Chat thought he was the Pups long term answer at PG after watchin him play ONE GAME! :lol:
You can say that about any player.

:shrug:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

thinktank wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:39 pm
Hornets wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm I remember some dopes in the old Rube Chat thought he was the Pups long term answer at PG after watchin him play ONE GAME! :lol:
You can say that about any player.

:shrug:
Ricky Davis put up like 36 points his first Wolves game against Houston and we were like oh shitt. Ricky Davis was terrible.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Why does Sebastian need all these loaded weapons? I don't understand. That dude always had some demons. Can we get these automatic weapons and guns in general off these streets?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

People should not go to jail for merely owning and/or carrying a firearm, but it looks like he wasn't lucky enough to land a libertarian on his jury.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Damn. I kind of liked him.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm Damn. I kind of liked him.
I liked Bassy too.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm People should not go to jail for merely owning and/or carrying a firearm, but it looks like he wasn't lucky enough to land a libertarian on his jury.
Take it to Polichat, spaz.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Any illegal drug plus gun present equals jail. Keep them separate and you stay out of jail with one or the other in your car.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

But he can't shoot :shrug:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Seems like a rather harsh sentence. I wonder what they offered before the jury trial as a deal? Most of the time there is more to the story.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

They should make a movie like The Longest Yard but with Basketball.

Based on True events.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm People should not go to jail for merely owning and/or carrying a firearm, but it looks like he wasn't lucky enough to land a libertarian on his jury.
He waived it so no jury.

He sure is dumb.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 am Seems like a rather harsh sentence. I wonder what they offered before the jury trial as a deal? Most of the time there is more to the story.
Again, he waived his right to a jury trial. Also, he's been charged before, so no probation this time.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 am Seems like a rather harsh sentence. I wonder what they offered before the jury trial as a deal? Most of the time there is more to the story.
Harsh? He got the minimum for what he was charged with.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

fonz, he exercised his right to a jury trial...there was a jury trial.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Lightning wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am fonz, he exercised his right to a jury trial...there was a jury trial.
Opps, I thought I read he waived it. My bad. :oops:
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Seems exsessive.

Not like he used the gun. But shouldve known better with his priors and or rules of the state.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

You can't fix stupid.
My heart is family.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:46 pm
Who? I seriously don't remember anyone who thought he was a long term answer.
I don't have names, but there were a few. Some were saying he's a better player than Marbury.
Those were the same who thought G Green was going to be great too after the cupcake dunk.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 pm
I don't have names, but there were a few. Some were saying he's a better player than Marbury.
Those were the same who thought G Green was going to be great too after the cupcake dunk.
I don't think we thought he was an MVP type player, but the guy was a HS phenom, and showed flashes. I forget what his main issue was (Defense I assume?) but guy had as much potential as anybody in the league.
Spoiler:
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Apparently you didn't read into why he was sentenced... Reading and comprehension is your friend.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Vendetta11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Apparently you didn't read into why he was sentenced... Reading and comprehension is your friend.
Huh? What the fuck are you talking about? My statement was clear. No person should go to prison for merely owning a firearm, a juror should nullify any jury in such instances where these types of charges are brought. Period. If you disagree fine, that is why we have juries, but it has nothing to do with my reading comprehension. Richard.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

SO_MONEY wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:00 pm
Huh? What the fuck are you talking about? My statement was clear. No person should go to prison for merely owning a firearm, a juror should nullify any jury in such instances where these types of charges are brought. Period. If you disagree fine, that is why we have juries, but it has nothing to do with my reading comprehension. Richard.
If it was merely owning, I don't believe he would have. Possibly the loaded and was he carrying concealed?
My heart is family.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm

If it was merely owning, I don't believe he would have. Possibly the loaded and was he carrying concealed?
They said it was a semi automatic rifle with drugs and a ballistics vest. That's obviously not a registered weapon and those aren't good things to pair with it.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't think we thought he was an MVP type player, but the guy was a HS phenom, and showed flashes. I forget what his main issue was (Defense I assume?) but guy had as much potential as anybody in the league.
I thought his defense was okay. I could be wrong but he was a fairly high steals guy. Pretty good passer. He couldn't shoot. I think that was his biggest weakness from what I remember.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Catalyst wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm

That is all part of owning. I see no victim created by it being loaded or concealed. In other words I don't believe there is such a thing as unlawful (illegal) possession of a firearm. That is my opinion on it.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Amazing off season discussion here.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 am
Again, he waived his right to a jury trial. Also, he's been charged before, so no probation this time.
Ok. That probably explains it.