Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Why aren't we talking about Layman?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Seenin

Why aren't we talking about Layman?

Post by Seenin »

TBH never really payed attention to this dude before. But for a white dude he looks pretty athletic and springy. His passing ability looks pretty decent as he is able to adjust is passes as necessary. Also can stroke from 3 which is something we need badly. I'm typically not high on white guys in the NBA but this guy may be serviceable.

http://youtu.be/xVHogZyaCs0
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
j2j

Re: Why aren't we talking about Layman?

Post by j2j »

Seems pretty simple to the point anyone should be able to understand it.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

Injuries aside, he has a good chance of being the 5th starter, especially situational matchups. In that conversation with Vonleh, Bell, and Culver.

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Probably the same reason we don’t talk much about this guy.

Honestly don’t know what to expect out of him. Wolves haven’t shown one damn thing on him........nothing. I hope it works out.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

failing to grasp the dynamic connection between jake layman and chase budinger. one is currently on the roster and the other played wing for us 6 years ago. oh, and they're both WHITE!!!! i get it now, joda. very astute observation.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 am Image

Probably the same reason we don’t talk much about this guy.

Honestly don’t know what to expect out of him. Wolves haven’t shown one damn thing on him........nothing. I hope it works out.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
What should they show on a vet signing in the middle of August? He has a pretty good full season from last year to look at and get an idea.

The guy shot 64.6% from two last year, with 39% of his total shots coming from inside the restricted area where he shot 75.6%, and 43% of his shots coming from behind the arc. 81.4% of his shots were 3s or layups. He's like the anti-Wiggins.

Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Seenin wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:56 am TBH never really payed attention to this dude before. But for a white dude he looks pretty athletic and springy. His passing ability looks pretty decent as he is able to adjust is passes as necessary. Also can stroke from 3 which is something we need badly. I'm typically not high on white guys in the NBA but this guy may be serviceable.

Why? Because there not really much to talk about. After that clip, I am a little more excited. So thanks.
Plus it's that time of year where BBall gets thrown under a bit.
Twins were doing well, now they're in free fall, And the Vikes opened camp. Try going to the Wild board.....Crickets.... :irked: .
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

j2j

Post by j2j »

memyworld wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:47 am
:lol:

I like this dood.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Someone earlier in the summer compared him to Wiggins in some interview, but said he's constantly active and doesn't take long twos.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 am Someone earlier in the summer compared him to Wiggins in some interview, but said he's constantly active and doesn't take long twos.
Wiggins? Dumb. Or taking a shot at Wigs.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am

I like this dood.
That's hilarious. Gotta love the sense of humor.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 am Someone earlier in the summer compared him to Wiggins in some interview, but said he's constantly active and doesn't take long twos.
I think it was because similar body type, great athleticism and fantastic at cutting. Difference is one guy doesn't really use those skills.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Layman is a very solid player on the rise as well as being a guy that played in Portland under the defensive schemes the new coach has brought to town. He's going to be the best new guy, along with Napier.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Seenin wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:56 am TBH never really payed attention to this dude before. But for a white dude he looks pretty athletic and springy. His passing ability looks pretty decent as he is able to adjust is passes as necessary. Also can stroke from 3 which is something we need badly. I'm typically not high on white guys in the NBA but this guy may be serviceable.

30% career. ??
j2j

Post by j2j »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am

30% career. ??
Yeah, he hasn't proven he's a good 3 point shooter yet, just that he understands midrange and long 2s are bad. He's one of the few players that's been worse shooting corner 3s than above the break. Little weird. Some of the clips I've seen is of him needlessly putting the ball on the floor, over dribble, then shoot. But he has a solid looking stroke.

So I think he has a bit to work with, but still a ways to go. I'm guessing he ends up being like a 35%+ 3pt shooter. Which should make people happy...er.

T_J

Post by T_J »

So all this talk about team chemistry and family was all bullshit. Clearly they aren't welcoming in a new signing.

"You never turn your back on family, even when they do."
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Layman got 3 years and 11 million. I’m not expecting much from him.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Budinger was highly recruited and a high flyer. Injuries really hampered his career. He could have been a really nice player.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

YBBR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 pm Budinger was highly recruited and a high flyer. Injuries really hampered his career. He could have been a really nice player.
Isn't he a volleyball player now? It was either that, or he was working at a T-Mobile kiosk in Malibu....
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ya let's talk Layman!

ZZzzzZz
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Is there a reason we should be talking about Layman?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

sure we should. i love cov, but he's brittle. so it's possible layman could see plenty of PT with the wolves this year. last year, he played 19 MPG over 71 games on a portland team that's a lot better than us.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 pm Ya let's talk Layman!

ZZzzzZz
There's no way you would fall asleep on just the Z key. it would look more like v 4rufh83crgv6i8kj. That's a more believable head hitting keyboard annotation. :D
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Vendetta11 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:52 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 pm Budinger was highly recruited and a high flyer. Injuries really hampered his career. He could have been a really nice player.
Isn't he a volleyball player now? It was either that, or he was working at a T-Mobile kiosk in Malibu....
He pumps my gas! No, you're right, he's a pro volleyball player now. He was one of the best volleyball recruits in the nation too. Decided to play ball.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:50 pm sure we should. i love cov, but he's brittle. so it's possible layman could see plenty of PT with the wolves this year. last year, he played 19 MPG over 71 games on a portland team that's a lot better than us.
Is RoCo brittle? I thought last year was an aberration. 80 games the year before then 67,67,70, back to his first year 7. That's not too bad. Seems like he misses a handful of games but nothing major.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am
I think it was because similar body type, great athleticism and fantastic at cutting. Difference is one guy doesn't really use those skills.
Oh, Okay. Don't really know him. At least he's not compared to a white guy.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I think he could be what we thought we were getting with Budinger.

Which would be great at his price
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am

I like this dood.
No wonder there is no hype footage......they didn’t even know he was on the damn team. :lol:

Clearly Layman is joking but make no mistake his response done with humor clearly gets his point across. Very well done, I’m sure someone from the front office ended up calling him to reassure him and his agent that he was indeed part of the #family#.

I saw the the mention here by somuch that he may have to play significant minutes if Covington goes out again, which is correct. On the other hand though if the fears of Covington becoming a frequent absence from the lineup are realized, then the Wolves and Rosas should have cashed in on him in this last offseason and gotten Garland, or something else for the future.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:55 am
kilkenny wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am

30% career. ??
Yeah, he hasn't proven he's a good 3 point shooter yet, just that he understands midrange and long 2s are bad. He's one of the few players that's been worse shooting corner 3s than above the break. Little weird. Some of the clips I've seen is of him needlessly putting the ball on the floor, over dribble, then shoot. But he has a solid looking stroke.

So I think he has a bit to work with, but still a ways to go. I'm guessing he ends up being like a 35%+ 3pt shooter. Which should make people happy...er.
If it means anything, aside from the month of March (5/36 :oops: ) he shot 37.2% from the 3 over the course of the season.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”