Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Who the Wolves are becoming

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Who the Wolves are becoming

Post by j2j »

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/ ... -becoming/

“I think positionally we’re point guard, wings and fives,” says Rosas. “Our ability to put different lineups on the floor, that will impact other teams. And either they’ll try to go big against us and we can play faster or they’ll make a different adjustment to try and play with us as we play smaller.”
Long article, and I haven't finished yet, but some interesting bits so far. Covers some of the "concerns" of froobchat; such as "star hunting" and "OMG, who's our PF?" :lol:
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Re: Who the Wolves are becoming

Post by j2j »

That direction might end up being a diversity of coverages — more than Portland implemented defensively.

This seems logical because the best defensive run of Towns’ career came in the first string of games he played alongside Covington. During those 11 games, the Timberwolves had the third-best defensive rating in the NBA, surrendering a mere 100.7 points per possessions — a figure 11.5 points lower than the Wolves full-season defensive rating of 112.2. At least part of that success came from the freedom Covington provided Towns to get out and move his feet a lot. KAT seemed to revel in the opportunity to do something different.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

The sky isn't falling yet. I wish the NBA could do away with conferences though since the Wolves will likely be near the bottom of the west. I think they have a better team than several in the east.

Thibs got a full year of mainly having the same roster so it is what it is. Keep monitoring what "stars" become available via trade, hope Wiggins plays better so they can eventually get off the contract. Let KAT shoot 30 times a game.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'm so sick of hearing "We suck cause we are in the West"

This team would suck in either conference. You could make a argument the East was just as good last year.

Give or take a team or two, it's pretty much the same. Now what the Clippers and Lakers did definitely made the West the better conference again.

Celtics
Sixers
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
Nets

Are all leagues above the Wolves.

Then you have teams like Detroit, Miami (If Paul is added) and Orlando probably has more talent.

How many other teams in the West have gone almost two decades with 1 playoff appearance?

It's not like the Wolves best up on Eastern Conference teams. They don't beat up on anyone.

They might be a #11 seed in the East instead of a #13 in the West. :lol:

I never have read so many comments of people complaining over this alignment over the year's as here. As if it makes any difference. Just gives us a few worse spots in the lottery.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm I'm so sick of hearing "We suck cause we are in the West"

This team would suck in either conference. You could make a argument the East was just as good last year.

Give or take a team or two, it's pretty much the same. Now what the Clippers and Lakers did definitely made the West the better conference again.

Celtics
Sixers
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
Nets

Then you have teams like Detroit, Miami (If Paul is added) and Orlando probably has more talent.

How many other teams in the West have gone almost two decades with 1 playoff appearance?

It's not like the Wolves best up on Eastern Conference teams. They don't beat up on anyone.

I never have read so many comments of people complaining over this alignment over the year's as here. As if it makes any difference. Just gives us a few worse spots in the lottery.
The east is weaker than the west. It has been for a long time. Lesser teams in the east helps teams at the top in the east beat up on the crappier teams. You want me to post more years or not? I've posted these before but please go on and tell me more about how the conferences in your opinion are balanced. JFC. :lol:

Records against the west
Bucks 20-10
Raptors 22-8
76ers 20-10
Celtics 14-16
Pacers 14-16
Nets 13-17
Magic 12-18
Pistons 14-16
Hornets 10-20
Heat 13-17
Wizards 13-17
Hawks 13-17
Bulls 6-24
Cavs 4-26
Knicks 6-24

records against the east
Warriors 22-8
Nuggets 20-10
Blazers 24-6
Rockets 21-9
Jazz 20-10
Thunder 21-9
Spurs 18-12
Clippers 20-10
Kings 18-12
Lakers 12-18
Timberwolves 14-16
Grizzlies 9-21
Pelicans 10-20
Mavericks 15-15
Suns 8-22
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

NotRasho wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm If you arent going to differentiate between 2-4, why keep PG and C isolated in your thinking? Why is it not just "5 basketball players"? Or bigs and ball handlers?

We have an outlier center, I dont know if I like the notion of 1 PG, 3 wings, 1 center with that being the case. To me it sounds more like a formula which would have your center being a rebounder/defender/finisher and not a primary offensive weapon, 40%+ 3 point shooter.
To me it sounds like "We don't have many guy's who play their positions worth a shit" We are now "Positionless"

This sounds like something Con would have said after having the roster loaded with subpar PGs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm I'm so sick of hearing "We suck cause we are in the West"

Celtics
Sixers
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
Nets

The east is weaker than the west. It has been for a long time. Lesser teams in the east helps teams at the top in the east beat up on the crappier teams. You want me to post more years or not? I've posted these before but please go on and tell me more about how the conferences in your opinion are balanced. JFC. :lol:

Records against the west
Bucks 20-10
Raptors 22-8
76ers 20-10
Celtics 14-16
Pacers 14-16
Nets 13-17
Magic 12-18
Pistons 14-16
Hornets 10-20
Heat 13-17
Wizards 13-17
Hawks 13-17
Bulls 6-24
Cavs 4-26
Knicks 6-24

records against the east
Warriors 22-8
Nuggets 20-10
Blazers 24-6
Rockets 21-9
Jazz 20-10
Thunder 21-9
Spurs 18-12
Clippers 20-10
Kings 18-12
Lakers 12-18
Timberwolves 14-16
Grizzlies 9-21
Pelicans 10-20
Mavericks 15-15
Suns 8-22
Please post us the record vs the East the one year we were relevant in 17-18.

I'm not saying the West isn't mostly better but it has ZERO effect on this team being shit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

NotRasho wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:19 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:12 pm
NotRasho wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 pm If you arent going to differentiate between 2-4, why keep PG and C isolated in your thinking? Why is it not just "5 basketball players"? Or bigs and ball handlers?

We have an outlier center, I dont know if I like the notion of 1 PG, 3 wings, 1 center with that being the case. To me it sounds more like a formula which would have your center being a rebounder/defender/finisher and not a primary offensive weapon, 40%+ 3 point shooter.
To me it sounds like "We don't have many guy's who play their positions worth a shit" We are now "Positionless"

This sounds like something Con would have said after having the roster loaded with subpar PGs.
Then wouldnt they have just tried harder to fill those positions if it mattered to them so much? I think their actions have backed what they have said. I also think Bell was a very strong move, and would rather have him at 1.6M than Gibson at 14M.

I think you are trying too hard to bitch.
So you think this team is going to be remotely good this year?

No, the homers on here tell us this shit every year "Just wait and see"

There is no chance this team isn't a bottom feeder this year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Celtics
Sixers
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
Nets

Records against the west
Bucks 20-10
Raptors 22-8
76ers 20-10
Celtics 14-16
Pacers 14-16
Nets 13-17
Magic 12-18
Pistons 14-16
Hornets 10-20
Heat 13-17
Wizards 13-17
Hawks 13-17
Bulls 6-24
Cavs 4-26
Knicks 6-24

records against the east
Warriors 22-8
Nuggets 20-10
Blazers 24-6
Rockets 21-9
Jazz 20-10
Thunder 21-9
Spurs 18-12
Clippers 20-10
Kings 18-12
Lakers 12-18
Timberwolves 14-16
Grizzlies 9-21
Pelicans 10-20
Mavericks 15-15
Suns 8-22
Please post us the record vs the East the one year we were relevant in 17-18.

I'm not saying the West isn't mostly better but it has ZERO effect on this team being shit.
No because I know off the top of my head the wolves lost to a bunch of shitty teams (west and east) in 17-18. It was well documented. The main point will continue to be the east has had a ton of lesser teams make the playoffs versus in the west. The Wolves have had years (not many) and others in the west have as well where they were better than the playoff teams in the east.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:21 pm So you think this team is going to be remotely good this year?

who's arguing against this? pretty much nobody.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Lightning wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:21 pm So you think this team is going to be remotely good this year?

Ok. Well Rasho got hard with me. Just saying what I feel about the sitch.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

In what world or scenario would we have been good this year? Pretend you're the GM, what would you have done that would have had us sniffing the playoffs this year?

Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Lightning wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm who's arguing against this? pretty much nobody.
I hear ya, this rides gonna be rough. hang on :)
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 pm

In what world or scenario would we have been good this year? Pretend you're the GM, what would you have done that would have had us sniffing the playoffs this year?
Westbrook added would have made this a playoff team. Now I'm not saying Rosas is a idiot for not getting a deal done. I don't believe Westbrook would have ever wanted to come here and I don't believe we really had the assets to get it done. That would have gave this team a shot though.

I'm not saying this needs to be a playoff team. I have been telling people since the year ended that they won't be good for awhile. It's about having some hope and building for the future though.

I see nothing they are building on. They kept a HC that got most of last year and finished under .500.

All the PGs on roster are not in our future.

We still have Wiggins.

It's the same team as last year but worse. We have some one year deals on guy's that the chance of them panning out is slim to none and if they do, will most likely go elsewhere next year.

Obviously this team wss going to be bad but you need to start building it up. This feels.like a completely wasted year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Westbrook added would have made this a playoff team. Now I'm not saying Rosas is a idiot for not getting a deal done. I don't believe Westbrook would have ever wanted to come here and I don't believe we really had the assets to get it done. That would have gave this team a shot though.

I'm not saying this needs to be a playoff team. I have been telling people since the year ended that they won't be good for awhile. It's about having some hope and building for the future though.

I see nothing they are building on. They kept a HC that got most of last year and finished under .500.

We still have Wiggins.

It's the same team as last year but worse. We have some one year deals on guy's that the chance of them panning out is slim to none and if they do, will most likely go elsewhere next year.

Obviously this team wss going to be bad but you need to start building it up. This feels.like a completely wasted year.
So you'd have turned "force trades" on your Playstation and sent Gorgui, a second, and 2 Chipotle gift cards for Westbrook and that would have been enough to make us good next year. Because that's obviously what OKC was looking for.

Solid plan, chief. ffs

qrocks

Post by qrocks »

if there has been any identify created, it really is best titled "Taylor's shit show."

The NBA is becoming a league of player controlled super teams. Rich yearly contracts + early player option outs are eroding any team's chances of building a championship team through the draft and player development. The Wolves aren't competitors in this environment.

The fact that the Wolves are systematically becoming inconsequential doesn't mean I can't cheer for my home team. That said, it would be 100x easier to cheer for the Wolves if Taylor hasn't created a crappy organization ( as compared to the decent model Milwaukee has created). I can cheer for the jerseys and players, but there really isn't much left at Target Center to cheer for.

High level, I'll choose a favorite between the Lakers, Clippers, Houston and whoever as my "other team" fan interest!!!! I'll maintain interest well enough in this new league paradigm.
Last edited by qrocks on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:42 pm

We still have Wiggins.

So you'd have turned "force trades" on your Playstation and sent Gorgui, a second, and 2 Chipotle gift cards for Westbrook and that would have been enough to make us good next year. Because that's obviously what OKC was looking for.

Solid plan, chief. ffs
From all the reporting.. it sure sounded like OKC wanted to do good by Westbrook and he wanted to go to Houston so they found a deal that worked. Obviously a rebuilding team ideally says "we'll take expirings young players and picks" for any star player but they got the picks and a guy on a deal a year shorter that they should be able to move still.

MN would have had to blow away OKC if they wanted Westbrook whereas the Rockets just had to offer up some pick options and a shorter deal.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

We still have Wiggins.

Solid plan, chief. ffs
No, I said we didn't have the assets to make this happen.

I'm not one of these fools that's "Tyus, Dieng and BeAPizza for Kyrie"

That's 75% of this board though.

I'm just saying that was the only move that could have got this team to the offs

I don't even believe DLo would have been enough.

I am just saying there is absolutely nothing to look forward to this year happening that's going to directly help our team in the future other than seeing what Culver develops into. That is literally it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm

We still have Wiggins.

Solid plan, chief. ffs
From all the reporting.. it sure sounded like OKC wanted to do good by Westbrook and he wanted to go to Houston so they found a deal that worked. Obviously a rebuilding team ideally says "we'll take expirings young players and picks" for any star player but they got the picks and a guy on a deal a year shorter that they should be able to move still.

MN would have had to blow away OKC if they wanted Westbrook whereas the Rockets just had to offer up some pick options and a shorter deal.
Exactly. OKC wasnt taking any of our shit outside of Towns or a huge fistful of future firsts. Westbrook wasn't an option for us.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm

We still have Wiggins.

Solid plan, chief. ffs

I'm just saying that was the only move that could have got this team to the offs

I am just saying there is absolutely nothing to look forward to this year happening that's going to directly help our team in the future other than seeing what Culver develops into. That is literally it.
Amazing. Keep it up.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm

We still have Wiggins.

Solid plan, chief. ffs

So you're just bitching to bitch with no real point. Got it.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm

We still have Wiggins.

Solid plan, chief. ffs

I agree on all of this. The Wolves didn't have a chance at him.

I was just saying that was the only move this off season that could have made them a playoff team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 am https://zonecoverage.com/2019/featured/ ... -becoming/

“I think positionally we’re point guard, wings and fives,” says Rosas. “Our ability to put different lineups on the floor, that will impact other teams. And either they’ll try to go big against us and we can play faster or they’ll make a different adjustment to try and play with us as we play smaller.”
Long article, and I haven't finished yet, but some interesting bits so far. Covers some of the "concerns" of froobchat; such as "star hunting" and "OMG, who's our PF?" :lol:
I take the "1 PG, 3 wings and 1 five" more along the lines of what Rosas wants rather than what we currently have.

He wants big, mobile wings who are capable of switching everywhere and obviously who can hit a 3...in other words pretty much everything the Wolves lack on the wings. RoCo checks that mark but his handle is no bueno...Okogie kinda fits that mold but he really needs to up that shooting. Wiggins...well nothing needs to be said. Having wings who can actually dribble the ball will be a damn relief.

Culver is a player that does fit those categories. Now I'm not going to pretend that Culver was the guy I wanted all along, Clarke was easily my choice at 11, but I'm not disappointed. You only win in this league if you have really good wing play and Culver has the potential to be a 2 way player.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Is there something to the East vs West debate, like the weather actually affects the Eastern teams a lot more (i.e. us). Or is it just that more teams in the West (California) are more attractive as destinations to live? It is a weird debate, and I am coming around to the idea we should be in the East most based on the travel and divisional rivals we SHOULD have. Minnesota vs Milwaukee is a proper state vs state rivalry that should be reflected somewhat. Not to mention how close Toronto, Detroit etc.etc. teams are. Makes it easier for fans to travel to another city for a game if they wanted to - is that common in the US?
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 pm Is there something to the East vs West debate, like the weather actually affects the Eastern teams a lot more (i.e. us). Or is it just that more teams in the West (California) are more attractive as destinations to live? It is a weird debate, and I am coming around to the idea we should be in the East most based on the travel and divisional rivals we SHOULD have. Minnesota vs Milwaukee is a proper state vs state rivalry that should be reflected somewhat. Not to mention how close Toronto, Detroit etc.etc. teams are. Makes it easier for fans to travel to another city for a game if they wanted to - is that common in the US?
It's been said around here, and I agree with it, but we should do away with conferences, change to 5 divisions of 6 teams based on geography, and use more of a parity based scheduling like the NFL does. Then take the division winners and the next 11 no matter division, and seed them 1-16.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

j2j wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 pm Is there something to the East vs West debate, like the weather actually affects the Eastern teams a lot more (i.e. us). Or is it just that more teams in the West (California) are more attractive as destinations to live? It is a weird debate, and I am coming around to the idea we should be in the East most based on the travel and divisional rivals we SHOULD have. Minnesota vs Milwaukee is a proper state vs state rivalry that should be reflected somewhat. Not to mention how close Toronto, Detroit etc.etc. teams are. Makes it easier for fans to travel to another city for a game if they wanted to - is that common in the US?
It's been said around here, and I agree with it, but we should do away with conferences, change to 5 divisions of 6 teams based on geography, and use more of a parity based scheduling like the NFL does. Then take the division winners and the next 11 no matter division, and seed them 1-16.
Could happen with Adam Silver in charge. He’s open to new ideas, especially well thought out ones that help the game, which yours is. I could see this change within 5 years.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm
I like it, but I don't think they'll get rid of the East v West divide. It'd be too "complex" for the NBA I bet. That's why I think it'd remain an East v West situation, but change the teams around a little bit. Maybe even add two more in (I know there would be anger at the dilution of talent at such an idea) so you could have 4 divisions of 4 teams. Who would our rivals be in any case? Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Superb article.

Patience.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Post by FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK »

Lightning wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 pm
Lightning wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm who's arguing against this? pretty much nobody.
I hear ya, this rides gonna be rough. hang on :)
lETS BE HONEST EVERY SEASON IS ROUGH !!!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

The Washington Generals.