Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Zach Lowe Podcast: Ryan Saunders (Interview)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Re: Zach Lowe Podcast: Ryan Saunders (Interview)

Post by Decker23 »

j2j wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am
Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am
j2j wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am I'm not as concerned about the "buddy-buddy" bit as others. Players have to want to play for their coach, have to be interested and feel like their "boss" gives a shit about their success. The tired screams of guys like Mitchell and Thibs are played out.

You need players that want to do it, not feel like they have to.
I am surprised that it took so long for the consensus to be this ideology. I mean, I thought the "yell at your players until they were on the verge of tears" was played out back in 1991.
Agreed, but there's this long held misconception that you're not coaching unless you're screaming. Still see it at the high school level.
I haven't seen anyone, on this board at least, clamoring for coaches to scream at players. I'm pretty sure all of us on here agree that a calm, cool, and collected coach is preferred on kids. High school coaches are just that... high school coaches.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm from NY, I hate MN nice. It's the logic behind why you hate is all that matter to me. You just hate him because he's a MN boy with ties to the franchise. Give us something of substance.
And here is something of substance. I wouldn't of minded this move if we didn't see him most of last year. What impressed you about his coaching last yesr? The team sucked under him and is largely the same roster or you could argue it's even worse. What is going to change this year?
Fair enough.

As j2j said, improvement. On top of that, no baffling lineup changes, no allowing Wiggins, among others, to ignore Towns on multiple possessions, decreased long two's, lack of defensive effort is punished, etc.

I wasn't to incredibly pleased with Saunders last season. Took him a month to finally start Saric and it was still part time, about 24 minutes a game. Wiggins was still taking really bad shots, defense tanked (if I recall correctly). And I hated the homer hire.

I'm putting trust into Rosas that he did go through a process and they are on the same page.

We shall see.
Hiw did they "Improve"? Thibs was 19-20 when he was fired. Saunders went 17-25. Great, he didn't have "Baffling" lineup changes etc. His record was worse.

Did you ever think a guy like Thibs might just know more about his lineup than some dudes on WC?

I'm not defending Thibs but even will everyone liking what Saunders did more, the results were worse.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:19 pm

And here is something of substance. I wouldn't of minded this move if we didn't see him most of last year. What impressed you about his coaching last yesr? The team sucked under him and is largely the same roster or you could argue it's even worse. What is going to change this year?
Fair enough.

As j2j said, improvement. On top of that, no baffling lineup changes, no allowing Wiggins, among others, to ignore Towns on multiple possessions, decreased long two's, lack of defensive effort is punished, etc.

I wasn't to incredibly pleased with Saunders last season. Took him a month to finally start Saric and it was still part time, about 24 minutes a game. Wiggins was still taking really bad shots, defense tanked (if I recall correctly). And I hated the homer hire.

I'm putting trust into Rosas that he did go through a process and they are on the same page.

We shall see.
Hiw did they "Improve"? Thibs was 19-20 when he was fired. Saunders went 17-25. Great, he didn't have "Baffling" lineup changes etc. His record was worse.

Did you ever think a guy like Thibs might just know more about his lineup than some dudes on WC?

I'm not defending Thibs but even will everyone liking what Saunders did more, the results were worse.
You're mis-reading what i wrote. I was saying what i want to see, not what i saw.

To be fair, i wrote it pretty horribly.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Fair enough.

We shall see.

You're mis-reading what i wrote. I was saying what i want to see, not what i saw.
I see.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:21 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

I see.
I said "saw" god damn it!

;) :lol:
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Don't worry, Teh Saunders boy is "Minnesota nice" he could win 10 games but will do it with a smile on his face!

He will make sure to give Marney a cliqued ridden interview too! :thumbsup:
I'm from NY, I hate MN nice. It's the logic behind why you hate is all that matter to me. You just hate him because he's a MN boy with ties to the franchise. Give us something of substance.
If we're going to form judgments based on last year, which is silly imo, there wasn't much difference in the record between Thibs and Saunders, 3 game difference. Thibs had Butler then Covington, Saunders had neither, plus both Teague and Rose missed the last 15 games of the season.

The biggest change will come from having a full offseason and training camp under Saunders instead of being thrown into the fire midseason.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

At the end of the interview, he told a story about coaching with Sam Cassell in Washington.

Saunders said after they subbed out a guy who was playing his way out of the league, the player was cursing and complaining his way down the bench, so Cassell shouted towards him, "Rosetta Stone!"

The bench looked back at Cassell, confused, so Cassell repeated, "Rosetta Stone!" so as to get the player's attention. "You're gonna be playing in overseas next year!"
T_J

Post by T_J »

memyworld wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm At the end of the interview, he told a story about coaching with Sam Cassell in Washington.

Saunders said after they subbed out a guy who was playing his way out of the league, the player was cursing and complaining his way down the bench, so Cassell shouted towards him, "Rosetta Stone!"

The bench looked back at Cassell, confused, so Cassell repeated, "Rosetta Stone!" so as to get the player's attention. "You're gonna be playing in overseas next year!"
LOL. Ok I'll finish this up just to hear this.

I need more NBA player stories in my life like this. Nothing deep, just random locker room shit and whatnot.
j2j

Post by j2j »

The Rosetta Stone bit was hilarious.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

T_J wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:30 pm
memyworld wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm At the end of the interview, he told a story about coaching with Sam Cassell in Washington.

LOL. Ok I'll finish this up just to hear this.

I need more NBA player stories in my life like this. Nothing deep, just random locker room shit and whatnot.
I enjoyed this story and learning that KG tried to gift Ryan a Porsche on his 16th birthday.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The best part of the interview was that Ryan said the Wolves hired Greg Stiemsa as a team associate. Everyone on the summer league team was trying to dunk on him in Vegas and Steamer blocked everyone, everyone on the Summer league roster.

Then Wigs lined up and slammed it on Greg and everyone’s jaws dropped to the ground.

That’s why Ryan said he still has confidence and believes in Andrew.

Noob, learn the game.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Sam Mitchell deserved every bit of that. He was awful during game. Horrible with the media. Screaming at young players until his face turned blue.

He was awful
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm The best part of the interview was that Ryan said the Wolves hired Greg Stiemsa as a team associate. Everyone on the summer league team was trying to dunk on him in Vegas and Steamer blocked everyone, everyone on the Summer league roster.

Then Wigs lined up and slammed it on Greg and everyone’s jaws dropped to the ground.

Noob, learn the game.
I thought that's who I saw behind the bench
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm The best part of the interview was that Ryan said the Wolves hired Greg Stiemsa as a team associate. Everyone on the summer league team was trying to dunk on him in Vegas and Steamer blocked everyone, everyone on the Summer league roster.

Noob, learn the game.
I thought that's who I saw behind the bench
Yup he’s a video assistant for us
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine