Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Grade Gersson Rosas' First Off-Season with Timberwolves

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

What grade does Gersson Rosas get this far into his career with the MN Timberwolves?

A
8%
B
40%
C
21%
D
29%
F
2%

Total votes: 48

sh1mmyya

Re: Grade Gersson Rosas' First Off-Season with Timberwolves

Post by sh1mmyya »

Well I've changed my mind since we've lost the summer league championship. It's an F.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

sh1mmyya wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 pm Well I've changed my mind since we've lost the summer league championship. It's an F.
No question. I'm completely out on this offseason.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:12 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 am
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 am

there's still the draft next year for PGs.
Because of the depth at PG next year, I didn't really want us to take one. Worked out aces thus far.
I agree, which was my point. White is a fine prospect, but I don't think he's any better than most PGs that get drafted in the top 6, so it's not like it was White or bust for finding a future starting PG.

I have a hard time believing it's going to be a "giant mistake."
Coby White was there at 6. There is no doubt he should have been the pick.

I keep hearing about PG depth next season, who knows if one of them is worth a shit either. PG is like QB in Football, if you need one you keep picking until you get one. Could have took White this year and if one came up next year that looked better draft him and trade White or keep him. Cleveland just fucked us using that exact strategy.

My guess we could have took the French kid at 11 and been just as happy of not happier than taking Culver at 6. Also I believe finding a Culver-like player in next years draft would be easier than finding any teams future PG - they always are and always have been.

We will see.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Not matching Tyus' contract was the main thing I saw of some semblance of a plan, which is to get out of this cap hell the team has.

I'd like to know more about the DLO thing. Was it really DLO's choice to go to GSW, or was there just no possibility of making the numbers work in MN? Either way, that can't be placed on Gersson.

I think the draft trade up was a fiasco. It was pretty clear who he wanted, and its odd that so many here, who knew he wanted Garlund, all of a sudden bought in that they were fine with Culver...theres just so many signs that point toward them taking Culver for Cleveland...mainly that seemingly every pick that teams made for other teams were reported right away. Yet, it took at least an hour for anyone to confirm that Culver was staying with the Wolves. Rosas appears to be a big game hunter, nothing wrong with that, but when you fail at it, it sticks out.

The positives I have seen...trying to build cap flexibility. Not matching Tyus, not overpaying any free agent, and two 1-year contracts for a position of need.

The negative...the draft execution.

The weirdness...pretending to be in on DLO when you don't have the cap ability to even be in on that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm Not matching Tyus' contract was the main thing I saw of some semblance of a plan, which is to get out of this cap hell the team has.

I'd like to know more about the DLO thing. Was it really DLO's choice to go to GSW, or was there just no possibility of making the numbers work in MN? Either way, that can't be placed on Gersson.

I think the draft trade up was a fiasco. It was pretty clear who he wanted, and its odd that so many here, who knew he wanted Garlund, all of a sudden bought in that they were fine with Culver...theres just so many signs that point toward them taking Culver for Cleveland...mainly that seemingly every pick that teams made for other teams were reported right away. Yet, it took at least an hour for anyone to confirm that Culver was staying with the Wolves. Rosas appears to be a big game hunter, nothing wrong with that, but when you fail at it, it sticks out.

The positives I have seen...trying to build cap flexibility. Not matching Tyus, not overpaying any free agent, and two 1-year contracts for a position of need.

The weirdness...pretending to be in on DLO when you don't have the cap ability to even be in on that.
I thought the timeline of events was:
- DLO was cool to come here.
- Agreement in place with third team to help us make room.
- Third team backed out of that deal.
- DLO at that point said, the market will dry up soon, I'll do the GSW deal.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm Not matching Tyus' contract was the main thing I saw of some semblance of a plan, which is to get out of this cap hell the team has.

I think that sums it up pretty well from what I've read.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

Moved up in the draft but didn’t get his guy so that’s an F. Culver might be the only good thing he did but Culver fell to him. Losing Tyus was a given. No significant signing not even a solid role player. That’s why I say his first off season was a “D”.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 am

It was reported that Russell never gave a firm yes or no. I did also hear that any potential trade we had lined up fell through because of the other team. IMO if Russell told the Wolves he would sign here early on in the process that Rosas would have made the necessary trades to get him but didn't want to commit assets to free up cap space just in case Russell said no afterwards.

I'd be fine dumping some assets if it was assured we'd get Russell but wouldn't like it if we just dumped salary along with assets if the net result would be nothing.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 am

Because of the depth at PG next year, I didn't really want us to take one. Worked out aces thus far.
I agree, which was my point. White is a fine prospect, but I don't think he's any better than most PGs that get drafted in the top 6, so it's not like it was White or bust for finding a future starting PG.

I keep hearing about PG depth next season, who knows if one of them is worth a shit either. PG is like QB in Football, if you need one you keep picking until you get one. Could have took White this year and if one came up next year that looked better draft him and trade White or keep him. Cleveland just fucked us using that exact strategy.

My guess we could have took the French kid at 11 and been just as happy of not happier than taking Culver at 6. Also I believe finding a Culver-like player in next years draft would be easier than finding any teams future PG - they always are and always have been.

We will see.

there is plenty of doubt. Phoenix has a bigger need at PG than both us and Chi do, and they traded out of the pick.
there's a difference between saying you wanted White to be the pick, and there's no doubt that he should have been the pick.

there's all kinds of doubt.

and on your point about "could have taken White this year and if one came up next year that looked better draft him and trade White," who knows that's not what they're doing now with Culver? They very well may not like Wiggins long term, and could see Culver as the better long term wing, with plan to move Wiggins. You contradict yourself here because you're advocating for them to do this when it comes to PG but chastising them for doing the exact same thing but at a different position for a different player.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 am

We will see.

there is plenty of doubt. Phoenix has a bigger need at PG than both us and Chi do, and they traded out of the pick.
there's a difference between saying you wanted White to be the pick, and there's no doubt that he should have been the pick.

and on your point about "could have taken White this year and if one came up next year that looked better draft him and trade White," who knows that's not what they're doing now with Culver? They very well may not like Wiggins long term, and could see Culver as the better long term wing, with plan to move Wiggins. You contradict yourself here because you're advocating for them to do this when it comes to PG but chastising them for doing the exact same thing but at a different position for a different player.
IMO PG is the most important player on the court, they are the coach on the floor, a great PG can control the tempo and the game in general because they have the ball the most and can lead the team to run the coaches offense and get players into position.

That is why I said they are like the QB in the NFL. If you don’t have one that is good, you keep trying to get one until you do.

Culver’s position is a dime a dozen in the NBA, and I have no doubt there are likely players that were picked below Culver at his position that will likely end up being better.

Rosas just said he thinks his team is PG, Wings and Fives. If you agree with Rosas and that is what your team is going to be....what position are the Wolves weakest at.......it is 100% PG. it was before the Draft and it is after FA. The Wolves thanks to Rosas have a complete shitshow at PG and will almost every game this year have a clear disadvantage at the games most critical position.

I gave him a D grade. After typing that and now knowing what he himself was trying to put together...it’s really had not to downgrade him to an F.

I talked to another Wolves homer fan the other day and I asked him what he thought of the Wolves and their offseason.....He said he likely wouldn’t be watching them this year. There is no real optimism for the team this upcoming season and it already feels like a throwaway get the best lottery pick effort out of Rosas.
Last edited by jodaman01 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:08 am

We will see.

IMO PG is the most important player on the court, they are the coach on the for, a great PG can control the tempo and the game in general because they have the ball the most and can lead the team to run the coaches offense and get players into position.

That is why I said they are like the QB in the NFL. If you don’t have one that is good, you keep trying to get one until you do.

Culver’s position is a dime a dozen in the NBA, and I have no doubt there are likely players that were picked below Culver at his position that will likely end up being better.

Rosas just said he thinks his team is PG, Wings and Fives. If you agree with Rosas and that is what your team is going to be....what position are the Wolves weakest at.......it is 100% PG. it was before the Draft and it is after FA. The Wolves thanks to Rosas have a complete shitshow at PG and will almost every game this year have a clear disadvantage at the games most critical position.

I gave him a D grade. After typing that and now knowing what he himself was trying to put together...it’s really had not to downgrade him to an F.
and everything you just wrote is just about drafting for need, it has absolutely nothing to do with White as an actual player.
That's what everyone here is saying, that the Pro White camp is really more so Pro PG.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 am

IMO PG is the most important player on the court, they are the coach on the for, a great PG can control the tempo and the game in general because they have the ball the most and can lead the team to run the coaches offense and get players into position.

and everything you just wrote is just about drafting for need, it has absolutely nothing to do with White as an actual player.
That's what everyone here is saying, that the Pro White camp is really more so Pro PG.
No player is a guarantee. I love what I seen out of White in Summer League, he can handle, he can shoot, and is big and physically strong and had no issue with attacking and it looked like he could play some defense. Those are all things to build on and hope you see out of your player in SL. If the Wolves had taken him, this board would be overjoyed right now with what he has shown. Culver....not so much. We have Rosas excuses though for not playing him....but tell me how good he looked in the tournament....that was the last time he played.

You think Culver was the best player at 6. Did you watch the draft on ESPN. There was not one analyst including Bilas who is their Draft Guru that had Culver over White on their board that night.

Game over.
Last edited by jodaman01 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Yep, Joda most certainly does not get it. White may turn out to be a stud but no one has given any basis for why he shows signs of being the absolute must draft player. "We need a PG, PG is important." Well no shit. But if you're a front office and you deep dive and don't see him as a good player, you can't fricken pick him. If you have them really close, yes, go ahead and draft for need at that point.

Show me some player evaluation you dolts.

I'm not sold on Culver by any means. Shooting is really, really important and why Bob is much better than Okogie for example. Culver could very well be Corey Brewer for all we know.

Just have to trust the FO and hope they didn't screw the pooch.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am

Yep, Joda most certainly does not get it. White may turn out to be a stud but no one has given any basis for why he shows signs of being the absolute must draft player. "We need a PG, PG is important." Well no shit. But if you're a front office and you deep dive and don't see him as a good player, you can't fricken pick him. If you have them really close, yes, go ahead and draft for need at that point.

I'm not sold on Culver by any means. Shooting is really, really important and why Bob is much better than Okogie for example. Culver could very well be Corey Brewer for all we know.

How the fuck is Culver a must draft player.

I just made my case for why they should have drafted White...it’s your turn with Culver....Go ahead.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Joda now claiming to watch summer league when he doesn't even watch the real games is pretty rich.

Actually I take it back, he watches losses because that's when he comes on to do his bitching. When they win 3-4 straight, he goes radio silent for a week.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

T_J wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 am Joda now claiming to watch summer league when he doesn't even watch the real games is pretty rich.

Actually I take it back, he watches losses because that's when he comes on to do his bitching. When they win 3-4 straight, he goes radio silent for a week.
Thibbs is the reason I have lost some of the interest. I hated everything about the shitbird by the end. Of course you were trumpeting his greatness to the end along with “Jimmy All I Want To Do Is Win Butler”. Man you ate every line of that shit like it was your last meal.

It’s was hard for me to watch what was an obvious disaster to myself and most analysts around the country, only to come here and read defenses like yours.

The Wolves should have picked White. Yes he was a need, yes draft experts on ESPN had him ahead of Culver that night, yes he had shown all the things I mentioned in Summer League. Does it mean he is a can’t miss......I don’t know. I don’t even know if Zion is a can’t miss.....nobody does. We know we are fucked at PG (wait wasn’t Teague one of your guys too), doesn’t matter - the Wolves are a mess at PG......you can’t fix it if you don’t even try and actually get one.
T_J

Post by T_J »

LOL. Keep chirping dipshit.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am

How the fuck is Culver a must draft player.

I just made my case for why they should have drafted White...it’s your turn with Culver....Go ahead.
I never said Culver was must draft, so I don't have to prove jack squat. Reading is key! But you are claiming White was so it's on you to say why. Do you think he is better than Culver? Because he's a PG?

I said the FO determined he was better and drafted him, I'm going to trust the new guys until proven otherwise.

And trying to fix everything in one month usually works really well. :thumbsup:

Also, I don't think I saw any NBA draft sites that had White of Culver.
Last edited by Moses Scurry on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I see the plan so far. I agree that it's probably the best way to make this roster a contender as well. I am curious about the rumored interest in Paul and Westbrook. Russell I get with his career trajectory and his closeness to Towns.

If you're going to retool then do that. Paul and Westbrook aren't taking this team anywhere because we are a little too far off the trail when it comes to a contending roster. And those guys would breakdown by the time we could do anything plus their contracts would make it much harder to retool around Towns and them.

That's what I dont quite get. Those moves were not made so it's ultimately a moot point, but it does make me wonder why the intrest in them at all?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am I see the plan so far. I agree that it's probably the best way to make this roster a contender as well. I am curious about the rumored interest in Paul and Westbrook. Russell I get with his career trajectory and his closeness to Towns.

If you're going to retool then do that. Paul and Westbrook aren't taking this team anywhere because we are a little too far off the trail when it comes to a contending roster. And those guys would breakdown by the time we could do anything plus their contracts would make it much harder to retool around Towns and them.

That's what I dont quite get. Those moves were not made so it's ultimately a moot point, but it does make me wonder why the intrest in them at all?
My theory, they want a playmaker who can penetrate and break down a defense. We don't have that at any position right now. Wiggins, Bob, Okogie and are a no. Teague, no. Tyus, no. Maybe Culver but who knows, I'm doubtful. Rose yes but too old and gone.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:24 am

No player is a guarantee. I love what I seen out of White in Summer League, he can handle, he can shoot, and is big and physically strong and had no issue with attacking and it looked like he could play some defense. Those are all things to build on and hope you see out of your player in SL. If the Wolves had taken him, this board would be overjoyed right now with what he has shown. Culver....not so much. We have Rosas excuses though for not playing him....but tell me how good he looked in the tournament....that was the last time he played.

You think Culver was the best player at 6. Did you watch the draft on ESPN. There was not one analyst including Bilas who is their Draft Guru that had Culver over White on their board that night.

Game over.
Yes I watched the draft and yes I will acknowledge that Bilas had him rated higher, but none of the convo leading up to our pick was about how White is a must pick that is so significantly better. They were saying it made sense, which is again based on perceived need, not direct player evaluation. They didn't mention Culver because they didn't think about it, not because he wasn't an option.
HOWEVER, did you know that the next day on ESPN's draft grades they had our draft as the #2 draft of the whole night, only behind the Pels. So obviously whoever wrote that column really loved our draft.

I do recall though throughout the draft process that most had Culver rated higher, so that counts just as much as what Bilas had. And White has looked okay in SL, but don't go overboard. SL is designed to give PGs an advantage, just look at Flynn, Foye or Selby, so just take that with a grain of salt. His first game was brutal though. This isn't meant to be an anti White take either, just to keep him in perspective when compared to the other options for filling our PG of the future.

Regarding if had we have taken him though, I'd be the same as I am now. I'm not shouting Culver's name to the rooftops, but it does make a lot of sense. I wouldn't be shouting White's name to the rooftops either if he was the pick, but I'd support it because it could have made sense. And that's ultimately what I want, that the pick makes sense.
Alot of places had Culver as the higher rated player, we got the #2 rated grade by ESPN, Culver has more upside than Okogie and could become key cog if they want to move Wiggins, the PG draft next year is ultra deep, and the fact that Phoenix also passed on White means two PG desperate teams still chose to pass on this guy...it makes sense.

Game over.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

De'Aaron Fox draft profile grade: 98
Luka Doncic 98 (I know not technically a PG)
Trae Young 97

Coby White 95
Collin Sexton, #8 pick last year was also a 95

That's how he compares to other Top 10 drafted PGs from most recent years.
He's not historically great by any means.
Last edited by Oriole81 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

17 dollars.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

The player decisions will take time to grade. I do like the coaching staff they assembled to help Ryan Saunders. I feel like we will play smarter basketball with less talent. The next 1-2 years will be interesting. Rosas took a chance to get Garland and DLO and missed. Maybe next year he hits on a PG to play with KAT. Time will tell.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm The player decisions will take time to grade. I do like the coaching staff they assembled to help Ryan Saunders. I feel like we will play smarter basketball with less talent. The next 1-2 years will be interesting. Rosas took a chance to get Garland and DLO and missed. Maybe next year he hits on a PG to play with KAT. Time will tell.
So on one hand we appear to have a good staff that can win (that’s good), but the next sentence is the one that directly relates to Rosas job and the realization that this “good staff” is being given less talent to work with.

That pretty much sums up what Rosas has done from a player/talent perspective as a GM this summer. It appears that is good enough for B grades here........ :roll:
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:55 am
The Replacements wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm The player decisions will take time to grade. I do like the coaching staff they assembled to help Ryan Saunders. I feel like we will play smarter basketball with less talent. The next 1-2 years will be interesting. Rosas took a chance to get Garland and DLO and missed. Maybe next year he hits on a PG to play with KAT. Time will tell.
So on one hand we appear to have a good staff that can win (that’s good), but the next sentence is the one that directly relates to Rosas job and the realization that this “good staff” is being given less talent to work with.

That pretty much sums up what Rosas has done from a player/talent perspective as a GM this summer. It appears that is good enough for B grades here........ :roll:
And drafting Coby White would have changed all that, we get it.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
The Replacements

I believe Rosas tried to improve the talent but the task of moving some of the players was too costly. This may be the case where we have to take one step back to take two steps forward. The next couple of years will be more of an indication of Rosas.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am

I believe Rosas tried to improve the talent but the task of moving some of the players was too costly. This may be the case where we have to take one step back to take two steps forward. The next couple of years will be more of an indication of Rosas.
I agree. Doesn’t mean I over inflate his grade based on the Team he started with and the Team he has turned it into - less talent is less talent.
The Replacements

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm

I agree. Doesn’t mean I over inflate his grade based on the Team he started with and the Team he has turned it into - less talent is less talent.
I like the idea of not wasting resources on good players when great players are what moves the needle. Rosas will be judged on his ability to find a star to play next to KAT. That's a tall task but that's the only way to contend.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm

So then you would have been content with bringing back the "Timberbulls" and signing them all to multiyear deals? Because that is literally the only way this team wouldn't have "less talent".

So what is it, you want the Timberbulls back or do you want to go in a different direction?
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?