Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Westbrook: For or Against? (Poll)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Westbrook?

FOR!
50%
AGAINST!
50%

Total votes: 64

flexbuffchest

Re: Westbrook: For or Against? (Poll)

Post by flexbuffchest »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm
Nothing says he's here for four years. He could ask out tommorow and likely get his way within the year. Just how it is.

Three years max IMO is all we have. I don't see how we add any star's. Nobody will come here unless we're on the brink, which we won't be and we won't have any high picks. Westbrook might be our only chance.
No, that's not how it works. Players really don't have much leverage until the last few years on 5 year contracts. Year 4 by the trade deadline is really the first time that players can hold teams by the balls by making it known they wont resign after year 5.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm
Nothing says he's here for four years. He could ask out tommorow and likely get his way within the year. Just how it is.

Three years max IMO is all we have. I don't see how we add any star's. Nobody will come here unless we're on the brink, which we won't be and we won't have any high picks. Westbrook might be our only chance.
No, that's not how it works. Players really don't have much leverage until the last few years on 5 year contracts. Year 4 by the trade deadline is really the first time that players can hold teams by the balls by making it known they wont resign after year 5.
Yeah I think people using PG as an example of how far player empowerment has gone.

That's an extreme case.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Tell that to Paul George.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Paul George says hi.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Stork311 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Paul George says hi.
Outliers are the normal!!!!!!!!

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Lol that was predictable.

Pg situation:
1. Best player in the league wants you
2. The team is your favorite childhood team in your ideal Market
3. You're on an aging team clearly going nowhere.
4. The team has back to back incredibly disappointing seasons forcing everyone in OKC to face the reality of their ceiling.
5. OKC is blown away with the greatest haul for a star player ever.

Those things all had to happen for it to make sense.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm Lol that was predictable.

Pg situation:
4. The team has back to back incredibly disappointing seasons forcing everyone in OKC to face the reality of their ceiling.

That is the main reason why PG was traded. Kawhi told the Clippers to trade for PG and then he'd sign which is why the Clippers gave up the moon to get him. It was 100% the right move but it took the perfect storm to make it happen.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

The Decision was the outlier just a few years ago...now it is the normal. The times are a changin Flex....and this genie ain't going back in its bottle. Player control is only going to continue. The NBA tried to stop it with the supermax....shoe deals, cloth deals, commercials all submarined player contract salary....Westbrook can walk from any team any time, and so can any other star.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Stork311 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:56 pm The Decision was the outlier just a few years ago...now it is the normal. The times are a changin Flex....and this genie ain't going back in its bottle. Player control is only going to continue. The NBA tried to stop it with the supermax....shoe deals, cloth deals, commercials all submarined player contract salary....Westbrook can walk from any team any time, and so can any other star.
They will push for franchise tags and it will happen eventually.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm
Stork311 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:56 pm The Decision was the outlier just a few years ago...now it is the normal. The times are a changin Flex....and this genie ain't going back in its bottle. Player control is only going to continue. The NBA tried to stop it with the supermax....shoe deals, cloth deals, commercials all submarined player contract salary....Westbrook can walk from any team any time, and so can any other star.
I hope for franchise tags and a hard capped league.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 pm
Dare to dream. This isn't a bunch of maroons like the NFL players. Gooooood luck getting a hard cap in the NBA. And while a franchise tag seems to make sense, i only see a long work stopage. The question is, who has a stronger pain threshold, the owners or the players. I am not so sure it is the owners in the NBA.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

I don't mind a soft cap, as it allows you to sign your own players (offer more), but it should only be reserved for signing players you either drafted or traded for on rookie deals. The LUX is somewhat of a check on that preventing it from getting too out of control in its limited capacity.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Stork311 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Dare to dream. This isn't a bunch of maroons like the NFL players. Gooooood luck getting a hard cap in the NBA. And while a franchise tag seems to make sense, i only see a long work stopage. The question is, who has a stronger pain threshold, the owners or the players. I am not so sure it is the owners in the NBA.
Its the owners. And yes they will have to fight, but they will have massive fan support in that endeavor.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Pg situation:

That is the main reason why PG was traded. Kawhi told the Clippers to trade for PG and then he'd sign which is why the Clippers gave up the moon to get him. It was 100% the right move but it took the perfect storm to make it happen.
If Kat wants out in the three years, he'll get his wish. Four players come to mind that all asked for trades and only one of them was on the last year of their deal. They all were traded relatively quickly.

Irving
PG
Davis
Butler

If star players want a trade, they get it. There's nothing that says Kat will be here for four years.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Pg situation:

If Kat wants out in the three years, he'll get his wish. Four players come to mind that all asked for trades and only one of them was on the last year of their deal. They all were traded relatively quickly.

Irving
PG
Davis
Butler

If star players want a trade, they get it. There's nothing that says Kat will be here for four years.
Paul George and Anthony Davis were entering the final year of their deal. Irving/Butler got out with 2+1 left. Both players signed 4+1 if I remember correctly whereas KAT signed a straight five year deal. Earliest he would get dealt is probably 2022. More likely he makes his intentions clear during the 22-23 season if things aren't going well.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Pg situation:

Irving
PG
Davis
Butler

Regardless of if you have a point or not you do not make decisions out of fear or any emotion for that matter. You make your decisions on logic based on available information, current or historical. There is ZERO need for desperation or worrying about what might happen with things that are out of your control. You make this team better when you can, but not so knee-jerk that it affects long-term prospects and overall success.

In other words do everything well and how it should be and deal with hypothetical when they arise.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Irving
PG
Davis
Butler

Paul George and Anthony Davis were entering the final year of their deal. Irving/Butler got out with 2+1 left. Both players signed 4+1 if I remember correctly whereas KAT signed a straight five year deal. Earliest he would get dealt is probably 2022. More likely he makes his intentions clear during the 22-23 season if things aren't going well.
If he wants out after this season, he'll be gone.

Think he wouldn't be?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Irving
PG
Davis
Butler

Think he wouldn't be?
I'd be shocked. Is someone giving up 4-5 first rounders + a young talented point guard?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Think he wouldn't be?
Lifetime ban bet?

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Think he wouldn't be?
Lifetime ban bet?
I didn't make any prediction. I just said if he wants out he'll get out.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Think he wouldn't be?
I'd be shocked. Is someone giving up 4-5 first rounders + a young talented point guard?

Shocked by what? Whens the last time a player asked for a trade and didn't get it?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Think he wouldn't be?

Shocked by what? Whens the last time a player asked for a trade and didn't get it?
I'd be shocked if he wants out. And then the second part was the asking price for Paul George.... can only imagine what the Wolves would want for Towns with 4-5 years left on his deal.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

This is a tough question for me. The talent upgrade is insane, but so is his literal cost. The two pieces I'd want to part with, I'm guessing OKC only wants one of (Dieng and Wiggins) and they sure as hell are looking for picks or our two newest pups in Oki and Culver.

Wiggins/Dieng+ heavily protected future 1st for Westy and Patterson. Not that they would take that deal, but because of his contract, that's all I could possibly give if I'm Rosas.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Think he wouldn't be?
That haul was really to get both PG and Leonard. But if that is what is offered for KAT right now one would imagine he gone.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I'd be shocked if he wants out. And then the second part was the asking price for Paul George.... can only imagine what the Wolves would want for Towns with 4-5 years left on his deal.
I didn't say he would. I just said that if he wanted it, he would get it regardless of the status of his contract.

I don't expect him to ask out for three years.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
T_J

Post by T_J »

My buddy asked me if they offered the whole PG/Kawhi haul for KAT, should we do it?

I think Simmons and his dumbass buddy House had the same conversation.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm My buddy asked me if they offered the whole PG/Kawhi haul for KAT, should we do it?

Please explain...

George and Kawhi for Towns? Or the deal OKC received for George?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm
T_J wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm My buddy asked me if they offered the whole PG/Kawhi haul for KAT, should we do it?

Please explain...

Sorry...meant all the picks in the George trade for Towns. Towns to OKC.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Please explain...

Sorry...meant all the picks in the George trade for Towns. Towns to OKC.
Ya, I don't make that trade. I'm one who wouldn't balk if Towns was traded for the right package. That's not the right package for Towns with his age though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Fuck it, for!