Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Should the Wolves Match?

Yes, hometown kid improving game
22%
No, He’s a back up and 9 mil too much
78%

Total votes: 60

morneaumvp

Re: Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

Post by morneaumvp »

Southpaw23 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 pm Yeah wait, like why is that bad on Wolves management?
Thats just Jodaa, he has already decided Rosas is worse than Kahn
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 pm
Machine2020 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 pm

no. it's a fair offer for a guy who never figured out how to shoot.
THIS

:beer:
Every backup PG has a flaw or they'd be starting. Fact is he was solid. A good backup who had a chance to get better with some work on his shooting. That gets you at minimum 6-8 mil in the NBA. I said I'd probably match up to 3 years 20 mil if we couldn't find an alternative. I assume he would have taken an offer like that from us. But we pissed him off and he gone and we also have no backup plan for our missing backup. Anyone who thinks that it's Napier might want to compare his and Tyus career shooting stats.
Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

Tyus Jones will make 9 million dollars. Shabazz Napier will make 1.8 million dollars.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 pm

THIS

Every backup PG has a flaw or they'd be starting. Fact is he was solid. A good backup who had a chance to get better with some work on his shooting. That gets you at minimum 6-8 mil in the NBA. I said I'd probably match up to 3 years 20 mil if we couldn't find an alternative. I assume he would have taken an offer like that from us. But we pissed him off and he gone and we also have no backup plan for our missing backup. Anyone who thinks that it's Napier might want to compare his and Tyus career shooting stats.
Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

Tyus Jones will make 9 million dollars. Shabazz Napier will make 1.8 million dollars.
Thank you...undersized backup PG who lacks in defense....why pay Tyus because he's a couple of years younger four times as much? The most I was hoping Tyus would cost is four, if I had to bet, Rosas offered him less. I know it's becoming a running joke, but just because Houston gambled on CP3 doesn't make their FO any less impressive because of how they obtained everyone else. Rosas was a part of that, he clearly takes what he is given. Your stat breakdown is probably all he needed to look at....it's moneyball, you get nearly the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost. :thumbsup:
j2j

Post by j2j »

THIS

Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

:lol: How dare you bring facts and logic to the discussion, especially when they refute roobs' feelings, man. It's all about the unhinged emotional tirade!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Machine2020 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 pm
Catalyst wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 pm I guess what I am unhappy about is that with a bit of work last year we could have traded Tyus and gotten something instead of him going for nothing.
Hi Cat...The Hoopsguru is backkkkkk....

I love Tyus but I just can't get too sad at that salary. I love that Rosas is going big and trying to reset this Thibs-Layden mess.

You're hoops? Welcome.

Don't GFY you FOG.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Don't be dissing Shabazzledazzle.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I think that the Wolves may consider Napier a step up for what they want to do defensively.

Napier is a better match-up for switching on to SGs. He often was on court with Russell last year & Lillard the two previous years.

(I also think this is a part of the Culver at point discussion too.)
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 pm I think that the Wolves may consider Napier a step up for what they want to do defensively.

Napier is a better match-up for switching on to SGs. He often was on court with Russell last year & Lillard the two previous years.

His best season was two years ago in Portland. He was good and was on the floor often with either Lillard or McCollum. Vanterpool was an assistant in Portland at the time as well.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Lost in all this Tyus homerdom is Tyus left us first when he went to Duke. Once he's gone we should build a wall to keep him out. Fuck him.
Spoiler:
:doublefinger:
Spoiler:
;)

digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 pm I think that the Wolves may consider Napier a step up for what they want to do defensively.

We have three wings now that excel defensively....we have one with potential to be that guy....we can afford a PG to be a little weak defensively overall. The key with Napier, IMO....is that he's actually a more legit scoring threat...which can give us better spacing.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 am Bolded = surprised me
You say that as though I haven't watched most games over the past decade. There comes a certain point when I'd rather not watch another team limp through the season to the lottery year after year until we get to the next rebuild. Let me know when your boy Wiggins is off the roster, then I might have a reason to watch. Though I will admit, watching him dribble the ball off his foot has its own comedic value.

I'm fine with parting with Tyus for that price.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Tre Jones era starts next year :mrgreen:
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm

We have three wings now that excel defensively....we have one with potential to be that guy....we can afford a PG to be a little weak defensively overall. The key with Napier, IMO....is that he's actually a more legit scoring threat...which can give us better spacing.
Not quite the point I was making.

The "new" Wolves defense values switching at every position. A minus for Teague & Tyus, but less so for Napier & newly acquired Tyrone Wallace.
Every single new signing for the Rosas Wolves has involved a switchable defender.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Culver at PG, Covington at PF, Okogie playing PG - in any world of basketball as we know it - this has miserable fucking failure written all over it.

Saunder’s is already being hamstrung by Rosas into designing an offense that utilizes these players in said fashion......OhhhhhKayyyyy.

I expect Saunders to change the offense, but I doubt he is capable of making up something this fantastical.

Let’s get players who are playing positions their entire basketball career and let’s know have them not play them, let’s have them play positions they have no business playing at the NBA level because they will be playing against NBA level players at those positions......Sounds innovative, much like the Hindenburg and Titanic did.

I’m just not buying the Rosas smoke, this is the shit you have to do and make up when can’t draft or build a team properly. This year will be the one trash year every new GM seems to get, after Rosas gets the high draft pick that it brings - Glen will apply pressure and demand results. I think at that point we will see Rosas try to put together a “real” team and the BS will stop.

I don’t know if Saunders will be around to see it though....feels like he has sacrifice written all over him at this point.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:48 pm
You say that as though I haven't watched most games over the past decade. There comes a certain point when I'd rather not watch another team limp through the season to the lottery year after year until we get to the next rebuild. Let me know when your boy Wiggins is off the roster, then I might have a reason to watch. Though I will admit, watching him dribble the ball off his foot has its own comedic value.

Didn't mean it as a slight, I generally assume most people who post regularly here watch the team regularly. I'm sure most miss some games.

I'll keep you posted on Wiggy, I'm still hoping for a Batum trade if Jordan is still as dumb as people think.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Dan33185 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 am Tre Jones era starts next year :mrgreen:
No thanks.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 am

Culver at PG, Covington at PF, Okogie playing PG - in any world of basketball as we know it - this has miserable fucking failure written all over it.

Saunder’s is already being hamstrung by Rosas into designing an offense that utilizes these players in said fashion......OhhhhhKayyyyy.

I expect Saunders to change the offense, but I doubt he is capable of making up something this fantastical.

Let’s get players who are playing positions their entire basketball career and let’s know have them not play them, let’s have them play positions they have no business playing at the NBA level because they will be playing against NBA level players at those positions......Sounds innovative, much like the Hindenburg and Titanic did.

I’m just not buying the Rosas smoke, this is the shit you have to do and make up when can’t draft or build a team properly. This year will be the one trash year every new GM seems to get, after Rosas gets the high draft pick that it brings - Glen will apply pressure and demand results. I think at that point we will see Rosas try to put together a “real” team and the BS will stop.

I don’t know if Saunders will be around to see it though....feels like he has sacrifice written all over him at this point.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
You haven't listened to any Saunders interviews, have you? Anything about the plan for the offense. Based on what I've heard we wont see Flip's old 500 play, 1 foot thick offensive playbook.

Culver was basically the PG for Texas Tech this past year. He led the team in usage, assists, and every shot attempt category. He was their dude. If a draft site had put PG next to his name and he had the exact same college career you wouldn't be having your daily meltdowns.

Okogie isn't a PG. Him playing minutes there in the Summer League means nothing. I'd suspect it's more about improving his ball handling and decision making, which will be important for the offense, in game situations against live defense. You put WAY too much stock in Summer League, but players don't get a ton of live reps outside of actual games during the season. So using Summer League to work on those skills is the best way to go. Not because we're trying to convert him into a PG, but because his handle, decision making, and passing needs to improve. They all do. So PG in SL is the best way to maximize those reps.

For me it all boils down to one concept. If you can't get the same dudes other teams get, you can't play the same way other teams do. They'll have better dudes and just beat you on talent. So you have to find a different way to do it.

From what I've read and put together the goal is a switch everything defense. So you need players that can guard multiple positions, are intelligent, and work their ass off. If you have that one liability(Tyus), teams are too smart and will abuse it. Just look at what teams try to do to Steph Curry. They have his man screen for the ball to force the switch. Same thing would happen to Isaiah Thomas in Boston. So they had to add in the scram switch. If you have a team filled with 6'5" and taller versatile defenders you have much less to worry about.

Offensively the stated plan has been a conceptual, motion, flow, SABA, read and react based offense. Lot of terms for what basically means the same thing. Not Flip's 500 plays and then reset if they don't work. I know half this forum gets super butthurt when I mention Golden State, but they're a good example. The casual fan sees a team that just chucks 3s. Fans that have a clue what they're watching see some set plays, but also a ton of rules or concepts within a motion offense. Examples: Any post entry results in a split screen(set or ghost depending on how the defense covers it), any dribble penetration and pass from a shooter results in him sprinting/filling to the ball side corner, if a shooter is under you then you have to screen him out, passes to a big at the top of the key lead to down screens... There are a few others, but I'm not going to copy and paste my playbook here. Some of you are probably already bored and loading up your insults. Plays are easy to scout because so many teams run the same plays. Concepts, rules, and reads are harder to scout because it's not the same. The O is reacting to each other and how they're defended.

I've watched like 10 minutes of Summer League because it's fucking Summer League. But what I've seen so far is offense initiations via DHO and pitches to get a small advantage, then efforts to increase that advantage until an open look is created. If you're a guard in the NBA and can't initiate the offense via DHO or dribble pitch, you're not going to last long in the NBA. Pretty basic skill.

Let's get away from Jeff Teague pounding the air out of the basketball. Some fun Jeff Teague stats. He's 11th in drives, 6th in number of dribbles per touch, 13th in time of possession, 10th in average seconds per touch... Is Jeff Teague really a guy we want handling the basketball as much as some of the best players in the league? On average he has the ball in his hands as much as LeBron and Ben Simmons, and more than Kyrie.

Sorry, long train ride.

TLDR version: j2j doesn't know anything about basketball, watch more YouTube, Rosas is just covering his ass.

kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm
Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

:lol: How dare you bring facts and logic to the discussion, especially when they refute roobs' feelings, man. It's all about the unhinged emotional tirade!
:lol:
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

I think Joda is surprised that the wolves aren’t in win now mode with the West as stacked as ever and swinging and missing on getting another star.

Find a way to move Dieng this year and we’ll have a max/near max slot. I think I did the math and we had ~13 million already minus the 1st hold.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Southpaw23 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am I think Joda is surprised that the wolves aren’t in win now mode with the West as stacked as ever and swinging and missing on getting another star.

Find a way to move Dieng this year and we’ll have a max/near max slot. I think I did the math and we had ~13 million already minus the 1st hold.
I see about 102 mil on the books for next year between Towns/Wiggins/Covington/Dieng/Layman/Culver/Okogie/KBD (assuming they exercise the options for both of the last two guys). Maybe Nowell cuts into that too if they give him multi year deal? Wiggins need to get moved for a 2020-2021 expiring contract.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am
Southpaw23 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am I think Joda is surprised that the wolves aren’t in win now mode with the West as stacked as ever and swinging and missing on getting another star.

I see about 102 mil on the books for next year between Towns/Wiggins/Covington/Dieng/Layman/Culver/Okogie/KBD (assuming they exercise the options for both of the last two guys). Maybe Nowell cuts into that too if they give him multi year deal? Wiggins need to get moved for a 2020-2021 expiring contract.
I like your Batum trade idea for Wiggins. It's supposed to be a weaker 2020 free agency class too. Maybe somehow he uses his player option and decides to opt out next summer?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm
Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

Have you looked at the numbers shit bird? No one cares he's gone because Tyus can't shoot. Have you looked at the numbers shit bird? Can Napier shoot then somehow? KNow what Tyus can do? Get assists without turning it over? Not play like JJ? Get steals to make up for his man D? Can Napier do that shit bird? Ask someone who watches ball and they will tell you.

It is hilarious when you try to show how much you know about basketball. Don't let any actual basketball get in the way of you super" informed" opinion
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Man you guys are funny. Lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 am

Didn't mean it as a slight, I generally assume most people who post regularly here watch the team regularly. I'm sure most miss some games.

I'll keep you posted on Wiggy, I'm still hoping for a Batum trade if Jordan is still as dumb as people think.
Wiggins for Batum? You have lost your basketball mind. Smh
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 am

Wiggins for Batum? You have lost your basketball mind. Smh
Goal is to be a player in free agency in 2021. Can't be paying Wiggins 30 mil a year for the production he currently gives the team.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

Who thinks Memphis is having buyer remorse? I do. Unless Memphis is doing Tyus Jones’s agent a favor. I don’t get that signing at all.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

H8ter wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am Who thinks Memphis is having buyer remorse? I do. Unless Memphis is doing Tyus Jones’s agent a favor. I don’t get that signing at all.
His salary is taking up 6.5% of their cap. Most of their big contracts are all expiring after this next season. The Kyle Anderson contract still surprises me.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Thrill:
But we pissed him off and he gone and we also have no backup plan for our missing backup. Anyone who thinks that it's Napier might want to compare his and Tyus career shooting stats

KevinBacon:
Career Numbers
True Shooting%
Tyus Jones 51.5%
Shabazz Napier 52.5%
3point%
Tyus Jones 33.3%
Shabazz Napier 35.4%
3pt rate
Tyus Jones 34.%
Shabazz Napier 48.2%
Effective FG%
Tyus Jones 47.7%
Shabazz Napier 47.8%

BOX

Thrill:
Have you looked at the numbers shit bird? No one cares he's gone because Tyus can't shoot. Have you looked at the numbers shit bird? Can Napier shoot then somehow? KNow what Tyus can do? Get assists without turning it over? Not play like JJ? Get steals to make up for his man D? Can Napier do that shit bird? Ask someone who watches ball and they will tell you.

:lol: Calling people names and ....

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

H8ter wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am Who thinks Memphis is having buyer remorse? I do. Unless Memphis is doing Tyus Jones’s agent a favor. I don’t get that signing at all.
Who were they even bidding against besides us at about $4 million per season? For them to end up doubling that is bad business, unless there was a secret teams dying to have Tyus Jones.

Isn't that how we got stuck with Gorgui?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:42 am
Who were they even bidding against besides us at about $4 million per season? For them to end up doubling that is bad business, unless there was a secret teams dying to have Tyus Jones.

Isn't that how we got stuck with Gorgui?
Gorgui got an extension during his rookie deal. Maybe you're thinking of Pek.