Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Should the Wolves Match?

Yes, hometown kid improving game
22%
No, He’s a back up and 9 mil too much
78%

Total votes: 60

thinktank

Re: Tyus Jones 3 Years 28 Million Grizz

Post by thinktank »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am Honestly, if Rosas was running the team instead of Thibs, maybe we're not complaining a year later about how much Gorgui and Standrew's contracts are killing us. Some of us hated re-signing Gorgui, some justified it with, "well that's what other big men are being paid"... And now what? We can't add a 23yo all star who happens to be great friends with our best player because of that contract.
It’s easy to blow your wad now and not worry about sustainability.

Rosas is showing us that he values the sustainability of the franchise over wins now and Wolves fans should be glad.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:37 am

What would you prefer he have done than what he has done?

How many wins did you expect for this upcoming season back at the end of April when last year ended? Mid to high 30s again? At best?

You continue to throw out words like "star hunter" as if it's an insult. It's a star's league. You can't win without star players. And as you mentioned, this isn't exactly a market that attracts a lot of star players. So a 23 year old all star expresses interest in coming here, yeah, you have to go after that. He tried. It didn't work because he couldn't find takers for the shitty contracts that Thibs gave out. How's that a knock on Rosas? Are you mad that he didn't attach a bunch of future firsts to get someone to take those bad contracts? That would be reckless and a horrible move.

It's smart to go after the guys you want, and even smarter to hold yourself to a limit of what you'll give up. There has to be a line.

You're mad that he didn't give $9mil/year to a Little Person point guard that doesn't fit their scheme? Why overpay for a player that doesn't fit what you want to do? Sometimes the smartest move is the one you don't make. As in not trading away future assets or overpaying mediocre players.

As long as you've posted on this board you've bitched about anything and everything. It's all you do.

So I ask you, put yourself in his shoes, what would you have preferred he do?
He should have drafted a fucking PG. It’s that damn simple.

He could have got his player at 5 but he didn’t have the balls to pull the trigger on trading Covington. He could also took one at 6. We wouldn’t be talking about our giant contracts and inability to get a PG or chase Russell or Westbrook and cry we don’t have assets to get it done. Rosas’s problems right now he himself created.

Now he just has the same glaring problems with no real solutions other than to keep getting money off the books, and hope he can get some stars to come here with all the available money and picks once he has them.

Let’s hope it comes together for him because in the long run the Team will in therory be much better, but don’t pretend he didn’t have any other options.
So the basis of your month long(added to your years long) temper tantrum is you were jerking off to Coby White highlights on YouTube and you're upset that we didn't draft him? You really have gone all in on his greatness. Damn...

I know this is a tough concept for you to handle, but what if the PG options in the draft sucked? What if Garland was all hype but no hope? What if his injury is lingering? What if Coby White was a reckless, undersized combo guard like Nick Young? Nbadraft.net told you those guys are PGs and told you they should be drafted in the top 7, so you just have to have one. Even if the team looked at them and said they didn't fit or sucked or would have cost too much to move up. Hell with that mindset, why aren't we all raging that the Wolves didn't do enough to get Zion. I mean we need a PF, right?
We didn’t need a starting 4 until Rosas traded him in a failed attempt to get Garland. Bilas on ESPN loved White and thought he actually should have went ahead of Garland. I just wanted them to get a PG. Yes any one of them could fail, but Culver could also be a giant bust. If they are busts, I would have rather they busted out at trying for a PG. Even a half assed PG ends up having decent trade value if it doesn’t work out.....Hey look Rosas could have failed and still ended up with an asset to use years from now.

Now we just have to hope Culver is somehow better than both Garland and White, because he could have had either one, and he was clearly chasing Garland.

I will root for Culver to be great as soon as he puts on the uniform and steps on the court for the Wolves.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Giving big extensions to mediocre players from a 36 win team who have a negligible impact is a great way to screw your franchise over.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:30 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm

He should have drafted a fucking PG. It’s that damn simple.

He could have got his player at 5 but he didn’t have the balls to pull the trigger on trading Covington. He could also took one at 6. We wouldn’t be talking about our giant contracts and inability to get a PG or chase Russell or Westbrook and cry we don’t have assets to get it done. Rosas’s problems right now he himself created.

Now he just has the same glaring problems with no real solutions other than to keep getting money off the books, and hope he can get some stars to come here with all the available money and picks once he has them.

Let’s hope it comes together for him because in the long run the Team will in therory be much better, but don’t pretend he didn’t have any other options.
So the basis of your month long(added to your years long) temper tantrum is you were jerking off to Coby White highlights on YouTube and you're upset that we didn't draft him? You really have gone all in on his greatness. Damn...

I know this is a tough concept for you to handle, but what if the PG options in the draft sucked? What if Garland was all hype but no hope? What if his injury is lingering? What if Coby White was a reckless, undersized combo guard like Nick Young? Nbadraft.net told you those guys are PGs and told you they should be drafted in the top 7, so you just have to have one. Even if the team looked at them and said they didn't fit or sucked or would have cost too much to move up. Hell with that mindset, why aren't we all raging that the Wolves didn't do enough to get Zion. I mean we need a PF, right?
We didn’t need a starting 4 until Rosas traded him in a failed attempt to get Garland. Bilas on ESPN loved White and thought he actually should have went ahead of Garland. I just wanted them to get a PG. Yes any one of them could fail, but Culver could also be a giant bust. If they are busts, I would have rather they busted out at trying for a PG. Even a half assed PG ends up having decent trade value if it doesn’t work out.....Hey look Rosas could have failed and still ended up with an asset to use years from now.

Now we just have to hope Culver is somehow better than both Garland and White, because he could have had either one, and he was clearly chasing Garland.

I will root for Culver to be great as soon as he puts on the uniform and steps on the court for the Wolves.
What if Culver is better than White? We didn't have a starting 4. We had a stretch 4 who didn't play defense and was due for a big extension, and just happened to start by default. That's a tough combo to have next to Towns whose defense is constantly questioned and with big contracts already given out to Towns and a bunch of mediocre players. We traded Saric when his value was highest.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm Giving big extensions to mediocre players from a 36 win team who have a negligible impact is a great way to screw your franchise over.
Trenton Hassell, Troy Hudson and Mark Madsen got nice extensions after 2004!

Tyus' deal wasn't bad. He kind of got screwed because of Dieng/Wiggins having a shit ton of money left on the board. I'm very curious to see what the point guard situation looks like in a year. Hope they get lucky in the lottery.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm Giving big extensions to mediocre players from a 36 win team who have a negligible impact is a great way to screw your franchise over.

Tyus' deal wasn't bad. He kind of got screwed because of Dieng/Wiggins having a shit ton of money left on the board. I'm very curious to see what the point guard situation looks like in a year. Hope they get lucky in the lottery.
Exactly, and those were mediocre players from a 58 win team. How'd that turn out?

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Exactly, and those were mediocre players from a 58 win team. How'd that turn out?
44-38 wasn't too bad.... but they extended those three instead of Cassell and Sprewell.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

One interesting thing about not matching Tyus is that Saunders LOVED Tyus. If it was completely up to Saunders then Tyus would be back. You can add Glen in that group as well as I'm sure he didn't want to lose Tyus.

Looks like Rosas actually has a lot of autonomy and not being strong handed by the organization. :thumbsup:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 pm One interesting thing about not matching Tyus is that Saunders LOVED Tyus. If it was completely up to Saunders then Tyus would be back. You can add Glen in that group as well as I'm sure he didn't want to lose Tyus.

Looks like Rosas actually has a lot of autonomy and not being strong handed by the organization. :thumbsup:
Nepotism is finally dead with this team...well, except for the HC, but he's not in charge, so we cool.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

44-38 wasn't too bad.... but they extended those three instead of Cassell and Sprewell.
Which just supports my point. 14 win drop off and the birth of a decade plus of dreadful basketball, all so we could give extensions to bums. Which also led to our best player in franchise history getting traded because we couldn't build a cast around him.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Which just supports my point. 14 win drop off and the birth of a decade plus of dreadful basketball, all so we could give extensions to bums. Which also led to our best player in franchise history getting traded because we couldn't build a cast around him.
Bad deals because of years, IMO. I don't think Tyus' contract was bad. I do think they were worried about the luxury tax this year and Rosas is willing to let anyone out the door who isn't a star.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

YBBR wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:36 pm What's the philosophy? I'm not 100% sure what Rosas is doing and what his plan is. Are we retooling around Towns and cutting costs in the short term? Or are we getting stars and worry how they fit later? Ala Daryl Morey.

I've seen evidence of both.
This is the million dollar question for me. What's the ideal path? Does Rosas think this is a playoff caliber team right now? He didn't seem to use the world rebuild at all nor would people probably want him to but what's the expectations? Taylor clearly had playoffs or bust for Thibs after year one. I would think they're looking to clear all money off the books except rookie scale deals/smaller vet contracts + Towns. Rosas sits back and sees if any star player can fall into his lap between now and 2021 as he tries to clear Wiggins somehow by then.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm Don’t want Adams. Way overpaid and has no skills at all. Not even that great of a rebounder.
How did people just let this preposterous statement slide?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:19 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm Don’t want Adams. Way overpaid and has no skills at all. Not even that great of a rebounder.
Only 9 boards a game (Westbrook is higher, right?) and 50% from the line at that price made me stay quiet, sorry. I LOVE Adams, but no.
j2j

Post by j2j »

If I'm running the team I'm keeping stars, rookie contracts, bargains like Cov(tho he's available in the right deal), and minimum type contracts.

Towns, Covington, Okogie, Culver, Vonleh, Bell, Layman, Napier, Graham, Wallace, KBD, Nowell, and Naz Reid fit those descriptions. Everyone else is overpaid for what they provide; Gorgui, Teague, Wiggins, and formerly Tyus. Those 4 aren't big difference makers. Our team is the same no matter if they're on the roster or an average replacement. Maybe we're talking about 38 wins instead of 34. Big deal.

That doesn't mean tank, doesn't mean intentionally lose. It means focus our energy and dollars on players that make a difference and fill the rest of the roster with minimums, bargains, or 1 year deals. That way we have the flexibility to add difference makers either via free agency, trade, or the draft if we can use that flexibility to get picks.

If we went with that list above we'd be sitting on roughly $45mil in cap space. Plenty of room to add Russell, and another ~$18mil player along with him. How would Favors look next to Towns?

C - Towns/Bell
PF - Favors/Vonleh
SF - Covington/Layman
SG - Culver/Okogie
PG - Russell/Napier

KBD, Graham, Wallace, Reid, Nowell rounding out the roster. That's the down the road opportunity cost we have by giving extensions to players that don't make a difference. They don't like our lower and shorter offer, let them walk.

Just spitballing possibilities. Don't like Russell and Favors? There are plenty of options for that $45mil.

digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm
Only 9 boards a game (Westbrook is higher, right?) and 50% from the line at that price made me stay quiet, sorry. I LOVE Adams, but no.
Exactly....Kevin Love was a great rebounder. For Adams size alone, 9 boards a game hardly even looks respectable. He's not bad, but he is far from a great rebounder.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

It was more the "no skills at all" part that got me. Yeah, he's in the NBA with zero skills, that happens all the time, right?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm If I'm running the team I'm keeping stars, rookie contracts, bargains like Cov(tho he's available in the right deal), and minimum type contracts.

Towns, Covington, Okogie, Culver, Vonleh, Bell, Layman, Napier, Graham, Wallace, KBD, Nowell, and Naz Reid fit those descriptions. Everyone else is overpaid for what they provide; Gorgui, Teague, Wiggins, and formerly Tyus. Those 4 aren't big difference makers. Our team is the same no matter if they're on the roster or an average replacement. Maybe we're talking about 38 wins instead of 34. Big deal.

That doesn't mean tank, doesn't mean intentionally lose. It means focus our energy and dollars on players that make a difference and fill the rest of the roster with minimums, bargains, or 1 year deals. That way we have the flexibility to add difference makers either via free agency, trade, or the draft if we can use that flexibility to get picks.

If we went with that list above we'd be sitting on roughly $45mil in cap space. Plenty of room to add Russell, and another ~$18mil player along with him. How would Favors look next to Towns?

C - Towns/Bell
PF - Favors/Vonleh
SF - Covington/Layman
SG - Culver/Okogie
PG - Russell/Napier

KBD, Graham, Wallace, Reid, Nowell rounding out the roster. That's the down the road opportunity cost we have by giving extensions to players that don't make a difference. They don't like our lower and shorter offer, let them walk.

Just spitballing possibilities. Don't like Russell and Favors? There are plenty of options for that $45mil.
:thumbsup:
j2j

Post by j2j »

It's tough to judge OKC rebounding. They do a lot of intentional actions to get Westbrook his rebounds. Often times you'll see guys pull back from grabbing a board if Westbrook is close. Lot of extreme boxing out just so Russ can chase it down.

The Thunder's offensive rebound percentage is a net 4.8% higher with Adams on the court and 6.1% higher on the defensive side when he's on the court. Maybe he's not getting that rebound, but clearly he makes his team rebound better.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm If I'm running the team I'm keeping stars, rookie contracts, bargains like Cov(tho he's available in the right deal), and minimum type contracts.

C - Towns/Bell
PF - Favors/Vonleh
SF - Covington/Layman
SG - Culver/Okogie
PG - Russell/Napier

I'm fine with this route, just skeptical how they get there of course. If his plan is to get max cap space (as Woj pointed out), he's gotta be aggressive in getting Wiggins and/or Dieng off the books sooner rather than later. Wiggins for Batum please!!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Exactly....Kevin Love was a great rebounder. For Adams size alone, 9 boards a game hardly even looks respectable. He's not bad, but he is far from a great rebounder.
I think individual rebounding stats are overblown. The Thunder have to be doing something in their schemes to have a PG with 11 rebounds per game, 9.6 of them defensive.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm

It's tough to judge OKC rebounding. They do a lot of intentional actions to get Westbrook his rebounds. Often times you'll see guys pull back from grabbing a board if Westbrook is close. Lot of extreme boxing out just so Russ can chase it down.

The Thunder's offensive rebound percentage is a net 4.8% higher with Adams on the court and 6.1% higher on the defensive side when he's on the court. Maybe he's not getting that rebound, but clearly he makes his team rebound better.
You is killin' it son!
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:38 pm

C - Towns/Bell
PF - Favors/Vonleh
SF - Covington/Layman
SG - Culver/Okogie
PG - Russell/Napier

I'm fine with this route, just skeptical how they get there of course. If his plan is to get max cap space (as Woj pointed out), he's gotta be aggressive in getting Wiggins and/or Dieng off the books sooner rather than later. Wiggins for Batum please!!
Agreed, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Lot of Thibs garbage to get rid of. The problem is how aggressive? I want Gorgui, Wiggins, and Teague gone, but you can't attach first round picks in straight salary dumps, it's stupid. The Wes Johnson trade was boneheaded. The Sacramento trade where they dumps Stauskas and other contracts along with first round picks just to clear space was stupid.

I'm not opposed to the Batum suggestion. His Player Option year scares me. I'd want him to opt out.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Yeah. If our pick was likely to be 27th or something, then we could ditch it in a salary dump.

But since it will probably be in the teens or better, you can’t do that. Unless you know you’ll be able to sign a guy that’s worth it. And we don’t know that.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 pm

I think individual rebounding stats are overblown. The Thunder have to be doing something in their schemes to have a PG with 11 rebounds per game, 9.6 of them defensive.
Of course they are, but that still doesn't make Steven Adams, arguably the strongest man in the NBA, a great rebounder. Scheme or not, he doesn't have the nose for the ball like. KAT, Giannis, Jokic.....just to name a few are simply better rebounders, great rebounders. Partly because of scheme, but also because they simply move better, have better handle on getting position. Again....he's not bad, but I don't care if Westbrook is sniping for stats, he's not great.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:48 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Of course they are, but that still doesn't make Steven Adams, arguably the strongest man in the NBA, a great rebounder. Scheme or not, he doesn't have the nose for the ball like. KAT, Giannis, Jokic.....just to name a few are simply better rebounders, great rebounders. Partly because of scheme, but also because they simply move better, have better handle on getting position. Again....he's not bad, but I don't care if Westbrook is sniping for stats, he's not great.
I’m sure it’s “everyone block out and Russ go get the ball.” We did the same thing with KG back in the day.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:38 pm

C - Towns/Bell
PF - Favors/Vonleh
SF - Covington/Layman
SG - Culver/Okogie
PG - Russell/Napier

Agreed, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Lot of Thibs garbage to get rid of. The problem is how aggressive? I want Gorgui, Wiggins, and Teague gone, but you can't attach first round picks in straight salary dumps, it's stupid. The Wes Johnson trade was boneheaded. The Sacramento trade where they dumps Stauskas and other contracts along with first round picks just to clear space was stupid.

I'm not opposed to the Batum suggestion. His Player Option year scares me. I'd want him to opt out.
I don't think it's realistic to expect them to get max cap space for next summer but the goal should be to clear Wiggins for a contract or contracts expiring in the summer of 2021. At multiple times last season and probably last summer I said I envision this team ends up being clear out everyone/everything and start going for 3&D guys to surround KAT with.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Probably not realistic, but I'm not sweating over a Woj tweet saying they're trying. Doesn't mean anything.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm

i agree with this. russ is by design their free safety in charge of corralling rebounds and starting the break. and this isn't to downplay his contributions on the boards. i think they do this because westbrook is so quick and athletic and has a nose for the ball. he's the ideal player to do that - but it does result in some pretty heady rebounding numbers.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm Probably not realistic, but I'm not sweating over a Woj tweet saying they're trying. Doesn't mean anything.
I'm not sweating over either -- just makes MN look dumb to the basketball world.

Woj "free agent class for summer 2020 is not good"
Woj later "MN trying to clear max cap space for 2020!"

Smart people know not to read into the tweet, who knows why he sent it.