Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Noah Vonleh agrees to deal

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Noah Vonleh agrees to deal

Post by HeHateMe »

Last edited by HeHateMe on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Rusty Kuntz

Re: Noah Vonleh agrees to deal

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Solid!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Ha. Yay!... I mean ok..
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Ok I guess
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Ways a fan since hoosiers. Shot is solid and gets boards.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

I am thinking we have some trades to fire off once the dust settles with Kawhi
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

great add. very happy about this. we're getting him right about the time he's starting to put it together. daily knicks gave him a season grade of B+ last year. said he was added as an afterthought, but then surprised everyone by being more than just a bench stiff. wound up adding a reasonable 3pter to his offensive game (33.6%) - hit 46 of them for the year. to give some perspective, taj made 11. he finished the year 8/8/2 plus a hair under a bpg in 25 mpg. very solid get for $2M. this will probably put an end to any jamychal green speculation.

KAT - dieng - bell - vonleh - KBD - naz

i'm liking rosas better now thanks.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

1 year 2 mil
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

At $1.882 million this is a good signing as it goes.

I think Jordan Bell is the type of young player this team needs to give a chance to. I also think Vonley is a semi-reclamation project that is a viable guy to work into the rotation.

The real problem is, and it is a function of the situation the Wolves are in, you really can't build a team on one year contracts. In the NBA, if a player is on your team for one season you have non-Bird Rights. A team can resign non-Bird Right players and go over the cap, but they are limited to a contract value that is 120% or less of their previous year deal.

This means we are limited to signing Bell or Vonleh next season to $2.26 million deals. If we want to sign them for more, we need to use an exception or cap space.

It Bell or Vonleh develop, then our options to retain them are limited.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Really liking Rosas' approach so far. He goes for the home run in D'Angelo, and when the rug gets pulled out from under him at the last second, he doesn't get tilted and make another splashy move out of desperation. Instead he preserves flexibility, signs young players to minimum deals to fill out the rotation, and bides his time.

The moves that end up killing cap sheets are the overpays for mid-tier free agents like Gorgui Dieng and (I hate to say it) Tyus Jones. Rosas seems to be avoiding that no-man's land.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm At $1.882 million this is a good signing as it goes.

I think Jordan Bell is the type of young player this team needs to give a chance to. I also think Vonley is a semi-reclamation project that is a viable guy to work into the rotation.

The real problem is, and it is a function of the situation the Wolves are in, you really can't build a team on one year contracts. In the NBA, if a player is on your team for one season you have non-Bird Rights. A team can resign non-Bird Right players and go over the cap, but they are limited to a contract value that is 120% or less of their previous year deal.

This means we are limited to signing Bell or Vonleh next season to $2.26 million deals. If we want to sign them for more, we need to use an exception or cap space.

Exactly what I was thinking. If these guy's end up worth a shit, they will be gone when the year is over anyway.

Nothing this team is doing makes any sense to me at this point.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

shuttlesworth wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:37 pm Really liking Rosas' approach so far. He goes for the home run in D'Angelo, and when the rug gets pulled out from under him at the last second, he doesn't get tilted and make another splashy move out of desperation. Instead he preserves flexibility, signs young players to minimum deals to fill out the rotation, and bides his time.

The moves that end up killing cap sheets are the overpays for mid-tier free agents like Gorgui Dieng and (I hate to say it) Tyus Jones. Rosas seems to be avoiding that no-man's land.
Agree with this. Maintain long term flexibility. No stupid 3 or 4 year deals on mediocre players.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm At $1.882 million this is a good signing as it goes.

Agree that it'd be nice to have bird rights, but I think one theory behind signing Bell and Vonleh to one-year deals is that if they do blossom, they have some incentive to stay in the system where that happened. Vonleh especially probably understands the importance of a good fit, since he's already played for four different teams. If he finds a good role in MN, he'll probably be inclined to re-sign, and the Wolves should be able to find cap room pretty readily (if nothing else they can use the MLE). It's not as airtight a retention mechanism as bird rights, but it's still not a bad bet.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. If these guy's end up worth a shit, they will be gone when the year is over anyway.

Nothing this team is doing makes any sense to me at this point.
IT is hard to blame them since they do not have much cap flexibility. But that is the fact.

I am not saying it going to happen, but it is a possibility, but if Jordan Bell is a dynamic player off the bench, plays excellent defense high energy defense, scores 12 points/36 from hustle, and plays 20+ minutes a game. his 2020-21 contract will be beyong the $2.26 million the Wolves can pay him with non-Bird Rights. He would be a multi-year $6 million a year guy.

I think you earn the right of first chance at him by giving him the opportunity, but that is a fickle thing.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Usually we dip down below the cap in the off-season.

None of what you said matters but the Bird-rights.

They’re just UFAs not RFAs.

Take it or leave it.

Now, fire off the paragraphs and I’ll eat some food.

I’d have preferred Green I think, but Vonleh is the better value. Especially during what looks to be a development year for us.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

1 year deals are the way to go right now.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

shuttlesworth wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:37 pm Really liking Rosas' approach so far. He goes for the home run in D'Angelo, and when the rug gets pulled out from under him at the last second, he doesn't get tilted and make another splashy move out of desperation. Instead he preserves flexibility, signs young players to minimum deals to fill out the rotation, and bides his time.

Agreed. Good take.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
Reetz

Post by Reetz »

Give me 1 year deals all day long! Commit to nobody that's a nobody right now. Right the cap situation slowly
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Junk to fill the roster. Can any of these guys actually shoot the basketball from 3.

Rosas dumped the one young shooter they had and from what I’ve seen hasn’t picked up anything that replaces or improves our most pressing need in offense. We won’t score outside and we won’t score inside. Must be counting on Teague’s floater and Wiggins awesome mid-range.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I would take Vonleh over Jamychal Green all day. Very good on the glass with range. Still waiting on Marcus Morris to land somewhere.
Last edited by irishman89 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Jeez, by default Noah may end up starting for us. Cheers to unrealistic optimism on his success!
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

We have signed a couple of guys to 1 year deals that may hold value if you flip them. Over the next two years these are the type of deals we need to lock down.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 pm Junk to fill the roster. Can any of these guys actually shoot the basketball from 3.

Rosas dumped the one young shooter they had and from what I’ve seen hasn’t picked up anything that replaces or improves our most pressing need in offense. We won’t score outside and we won’t score inside. Must be counting on Teague’s floater and Wiggins awesome mid-range.
the only theory i can think of is that culver will revert to freshman year 3 pointery and nowell will be the bomb. i disagree with you calling it junk though. vonleh's a very good rebounder - we can use more of that - and bell has the makings of a very good defender - also can use more of that. yes, i wish he would have kept cam - and i think we'll miss saric's range, but let's look at the positives here. we've just added two very reasonably priced athletic active bigs to a roster that needed it. apparently naz is looking good in summer camp too - maybe our front court won't suck as much as we thought.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
BBG

Post by BBG »

I love this!!!!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I keep feeling like we are scraping the best bits of the bottom. We need some juicy pieces that will be the mains.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

video really highlights his length. 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan - and a powerful 250 lbs. loved the jam on adams.
j2j

Post by j2j »

And suddenly PF is a strength. Rawr!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I didn't realize his wingspan was that gigantic. He has that Dr. J long dunking reach.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Usually we dip down below the cap in the off-season.

None of what you said matters but the Bird-rights.

They’re just UFAs not RFAs.

Take it or leave it.

Now, fire off the paragraphs and I’ll eat some food.

I’d have preferred Green I think, but Vonleh is the better value. Especially during what looks to be a development year for us.
Are you just babbling for the sake of babbling?

Again,

1. I like the players they got on these deals.
2. The cap situation for the Wolves is the cap situation of the Wolves and ;
3. You can't build a team on one year deals.