Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jordan Bell agrees to deal. 1.6 mil

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Moses Scurry

Re: Jordan Bell agrees to deal. 1.6 mil

Post by Moses Scurry »

memyworld wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:07 am
I would wake up everyday like that if I didn't have to shower to go to work.

Showering in the morning has been my downfall in life. I hate it.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:57 pm
boo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:33 pm I hope he starts next to KAT.

I like that he’s a RFA after this season as well.
Is he still a RFA even after GS renounced his rights?
Yes because this will only be his 3rd season, we can give him a qualifying offer after this year for his rights
Thank god for that. Did not know that.

That is gonna make next offseason a lot easier. Almost a mortal lock that we draft our future PG so that will not take much of Teague's space. So if Bell gets a big offer it doesn't take us out of the running. I expect a big break out from him.

Really hope somehow this year we can acquire a solid low paid PG to bridge the gap for that rook PG.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

I sure as shit dont want to trade wiggins for this rumor floating around for CP3 and Gallinari. Ick.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Seenin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 pm I sure as shit dont want to trade wiggins for this rumor floating around for CP3 and Gallinari. Ick.
Why....on owns the midrange while the other can kill from outside. Elite big man, mid range genius and a killer from deep in difference of Wiggins?
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:29 pm
Seenin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 pm I sure as shit dont want to trade wiggins for this rumor floating around for CP3 and Gallinari. Ick.
Why....on owns the midrange while the other can kill from outside. Elite big man, mid range genius and a killer from deep in difference of Wiggins?
It would take away from developing our players having those two on the squad. CP3 is often injured anyway and would be a salary dump essentially, and players seem to but heads with him as well. Gallinari just doesn't do it for me and its laughable that you call him a elite big man... please. Id rather field other offers for Wiggins or pray the somehow this culture change will light a fire under his but. I think Kat asks to trade him in the off season if he doesn't perform anyway.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Yes because this will only be his 3rd season, we can give him a qualifying offer after this year for his rights

That is gonna make next offseason a lot easier. Almost a mortal lock that we draft our future PG so that will not take much of Teague's space. So if Bell gets a big offer it doesn't take us out of the running. I expect a big break out from him.

Really hope somehow this year we can acquire a solid low paid PG to bridge the gap for that rook PG.
What we do at point guard will be interesting. I expect us to pick in the 11 to 16 range, not usually a place to find guys who immediately start. Finding the right veteran to run the show while the young guy learns will be important. I think we will be a playoff caliber team in 20/21 provided our PG play is around average. Relying on a rookie or a min contract type probably doesnt accomplish that. So how do we go about adding that guy?

One way would be to move Teague for a guy who has an additional year on his deal. If hes better then Teague maybe a team does it to clear money. If hes worse than Teague then we can get good value for both upgrading their talent and clearing space for next year.

Another way would be free agency, but I don't like the idea of using our mle on a 1 year stopgap.

The other option is trading wiggins, but that is more difficult to find deals that for for both sides.
Teague depending on how he is playing could be a decent deadline piece. Still unlikely he gets us a PG of the future at the deadline though. But the only trade I would see as likely is to a contender that has an injury and needs a PG and will give us a pick or smaller piece and no future salary.

And while I am not looking at any of the college PG as immediate impact or even top of the league guys, there are a ton of them. PG being the deepest position in the league we should still be able to get a top rated guy from 10 on down. Either that or you get teams taking one higher and shaking loose vets. Also the chance that Teague has a ood year but is at an age he can't get a good deal elsewhere and we re-sign him for a couple years with options to stay and mentor.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Seenin wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:13 am
It would take away from developing our players having those two on the squad. CP3 is often injured anyway and would be a salary dump essentially, and players seem to but heads with him as well. Gallinari just doesn't do it for me and its laughable that you call him a elite big man... please. Id rather field other offers for Wiggins or pray the somehow this culture change will light a fire under his but. I think Kat asks to trade him in the off season if he doesn't perform anyway.
My greatest hope for Bell is that he is that change. When Towns and Wigs see how he is freaking on D and flying around getting fans in a frenzy they will see how cool defense is.
j2j

Post by j2j »

CP3 is a great example of while even "owning the midrange" it's still less efficient than shooting from 3.

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
T_J

Post by T_J »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

What we do at point guard will be interesting. I expect us to pick in the 11 to 16 range, not usually a place to find guys who immediately start. Finding the right veteran to run the show while the young guy learns will be important. I think we will be a playoff caliber team in 20/21 provided our PG play is around average. Relying on a rookie or a min contract type probably doesnt accomplish that. So how do we go about adding that guy?

One way would be to move Teague for a guy who has an additional year on his deal. If hes better then Teague maybe a team does it to clear money. If hes worse than Teague then we can get good value for both upgrading their talent and clearing space for next year.

Another way would be free agency, but I don't like the idea of using our mle on a 1 year stopgap.

The other option is trading wiggins, but that is more difficult to find deals that for for both sides.
I doubt it was possible, but I was hoping we would have targeted Mike Conley. Bigger salary than Teague ($32m) and one extra year($34m). They took a package of the 23rd pick and a lightly protected future first, plus vet expirings. Likely would have cost us Culver + Teague or Dieng, however imo would have made us a playoff shot the next two years while still looking to move on from Wiggins for a more timeline friendly KAT teammate.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

What rumor is this? Paul + Gallo is so much money, Wolves would need to send a lot more than Wiggins.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm
What rumor is this? Paul + Gallo is so much money, Wolves would need to send a lot more than Wiggins.
Dieng, Wiggins and Teague gets it done financially.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Dieng, Wiggins and Teague gets it done financially.
OKC is that desperate to clear out CP3? Gallo is a good player on an expiring....
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Dunno, I was just saying it would take those 3 players.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

that rumor has been popping up on my google alerts the last month.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Wolves aren't going to spend big money on anyone unless it's a second star to pair with KAT. That ain't Conley.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

NotRasho wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 pm
T_J wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm I doubt it was possible, but I was hoping we would have targeted Mike Conley. Bigger salary than Teague ($32m) and one extra year($34m). They took a package of the 23rd pick and a lightly protected future first, plus vet expirings. Likely would have cost us Culver + Teague or Dieng, however imo would have made us a playoff shot the next two years while still looking to move on from Wiggins for a more timeline friendly KAT teammate.
That sounds bad to me.

If you concede Conley would be gone after his deal then where does this leave us in two years? I would much rather retain an asset like Culver than blow it to get a guy nearing the end like Conley. I just dont see the point of aiming that high when discussing a stopgap PG. I was thinking more along the lines of a Patrick Beverly caliber or slightly worse. Call up the nets and see if Dinwiddie can be had with Kyrie there. Things which dont really cost us much in future assets or commit a ton of money to guys who wont be here long term.
This^
T_J

Post by T_J »

NotRasho wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 pm
T_J wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm I doubt it was possible, but I was hoping we would have targeted Mike Conley. Bigger salary than Teague ($32m) and one extra year($34m). They took a package of the 23rd pick and a lightly protected future first, plus vet expirings. Likely would have cost us Culver + Teague or Dieng, however imo would have made us a playoff shot the next two years while still looking to move on from Wiggins for a more timeline friendly KAT teammate.
That sounds bad to me.

If you concede Conley would be gone after his deal then where does this leave us in two years? I would much rather retain an asset like Culver than blow it to get a guy nearing the end like Conley. I just dont see the point of aiming that high when discussing a stopgap PG. I was thinking more along the lines of a Patrick Beverly caliber or slightly worse. Call up the nets and see if Dinwiddie can be had with Kyrie there. Things which dont really cost us much in future assets or commit a ton of money to guys who wont be here long term.
That's fair. I think he's got enough left in the tank to make it worthwhile short term and possibly on a smaller deal in two summers. If he's guaranteed to leave or is washed up next year, yes it's a bad idea. But I don't think it affects our long term prospects if we'd have been able to dump Dieng or somehow Wiggins in the deal. This is all nonsense anyway, but it'd be nice to have a floor leader like Conley next to KAT and Cov making the team more competitive now and not sacrificing anything long run....I guess Culver, but maybe we wouldn't have moved up and the pick is someone else in the deal anyway.

Side note - I like Culver too and this is all fantasy land stuff anyway. Memphis probably didn't want to absorb Wiggins/Dieng even with a top 11 pick or whatever.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I don't disagree but I would add that most around here are under the assumption Towns is going to be a #1 bonafide MVP guy going forward. If you have that, I think piecing together a short term, high dollar guy with him and Cov is worth it. Those other guys you named probably still make it here aside from pick 11 or Culver depending on however it went through.

I just don't think we'd have sacrificed much long term to add Conley. That's really my only point.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm Its really not even about liking culver in particular, its just accepting where we are as a team. We have a star, a top end role player who fits with him, and a lot of spare parts. The team is clearly in talent acquisition mode for the next year or two, and I can't send out any of our cheap young guys for short term improvement. Maybe in 2 years you look back and culver and okogie aren't worth much and that kind of deal looks better, but we have to take those swings.

The example we need to follow is Denver imo. They have their equally defensively challenged and offensively gifted center, only they have accumulated non star talent around him in the form of guys like beasley, Harris, Murray...even shots on guys like porter and bol. They moved guys like nurkic, kept salary down by leaning on young guys, and had the money to sign milsap. We have okogie/culver and some guys like Reid/layman etc, but we need to add a couple more solid starter/rotation pieces before we look to add another star or consolidate for need.

We should have learned from the butler fiasco, you can't pull the trigger on win now deals unless the ground work is in place to win now. Were years away from that point. Sadly were at least a year from getting back to where we were pre thibs.
Gonna have to disagree with you. I understand that way of seeing it but let's remember that adding Butler made us the 3rd best team in the tough ass West. That didn't work for a crap load of reasons that had nothing to do with the game on the floor. How can you know that He would hate Towns? How could we know that Taylor would balk at extending him because he foolishly gave Wigs the max? You make that move and you have to know from the jump that you are all in and will be paying lux tax soon.

And I do not see us in talent acquisition mode. We are in team building mode. Not roster building but a starting 5 and a bench. A team on the floor. It's why I still don't get the Culver pick. Certainly not trading up for him. As it is I don't really even see him getting bench minutes right away. The Bell pick up was a nice move in the right direction. Fills a huge hole. Gives us a shot at fixing our biggest weakness forever in our D. That is the kind of move we need to be making.

You don't get better getting worse. You don't get better by not trying to get better. Every Wolves fan should know that. We tried to get better once in 15 years and shockingly it's the only season we made the playoffs. For years everyone seems to think GS is only good because they have big name stars. It's like they don't even watch them play the best team ball in the game. You get a good team by building a good team not by acquiring talent regardless of fit.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:04 am
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:25 pm Gonna have to disagree with you. I understand that way of seeing it but let's remember that adding Butler made us the 3rd best team in the tough ass West. That didn't work for a crap load of reasons that had nothing to do with the game on the floor. How can you know that He would hate Towns? How could we know that Taylor would balk at extending him because he foolishly gave Wigs the max? You make that move and you have to know from the jump that you are all in and will be paying lux tax soon.

And I do not see us in talent acquisition mode. We are in team building mode. Not roster building but a starting 5 and a bench. A team on the floor. It's why I still don't get the Culver pick. Certainly not trading up for him. As it is I don't really even see him getting bench minutes right away. The Bell pick up was a nice move in the right direction. Fills a huge hole. Gives us a shot at fixing our biggest weakness forever in our D. That is the kind of move we need to be making.

You don't get better getting worse. You don't get better by not trying to get better. Every Wolves fan should know that. We tried to get better once in 15 years and shockingly it's the only season we made the playoffs. For years everyone seems to think GS is only good because they have big name stars. It's like they don't even watch them play the best team ball in the game. You get a good team by building a good team not by acquiring talent regardless of fit.
No, we were the 8th best team in the west. Butlers injuries are part of who Butler is, there was a precedent and I predicted at the time of the deal he would play ~60-65 games like he does every year. I thought the outcome was very predictable.

So you think this team has championship caliber talent? Of course we are in talent acquisition mode. Not total rebuild mode, just where Denver was 2-3 years ago. Well except salary wise, which takes away our Milsap type move and forces us to rely more heavily on the draft. Look at the roster turnover already, theres no guarantee these guys are here next year. Just like moving Saric to move up in the draft and getting a better asset, if the right deal comes along almost all of these guys are available. We can only rely on Towns and Covington right now, with hope for Okogie and Culver. The rest of the roster is fluid, not one guy you can say will be here in a year outside of maybe Layman. Hopefully Bell fills the hole at the 4, but were still 2 starters, a starter caliber bench guy, and a couple more bench guys from filled out.

Nobody is suggesting not trying to get better. You can get better incrementally and not try to force moves which might win a few games now but ultimately set you back. Its funny you bring up the warriors, since if it was their rebuild you would be calling for trading Thompson for some piece which might help them win more in that upcoming season. It took them years to accumulate the guys who would ultimately be the core of their championships, and they didnt do it by trading guys who would be there for ones who wouldnt be there.

Everything seems to be on a pretty good track IMO. Lets see what the product on the floor looks like.
And that cap situation is a big part of why we need to be filling holes not acquiring talent regardless. We can't sign a star. Trading is usually just weakening one thing to shore up another unless you can get a salary dump and you know Taylor will not do that. Taking our available assets and not taking our current roster into account in using them is exactly why we have sucked forever.

You never know how much better you can be until you try. That our plan was waste an asset to draft a guy who plays a position that is stacked and sign a bunch of after thoughts at spots we desperately need is just foolish. Talent does not win. Teams win. Otherwise Melo would be on his farewell tour with 4 championships.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:53 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 am And that cap situation is a big part of why we need to be filling holes not acquiring talent regardless. We can't sign a star. Trading is usually just weakening one thing to shore up another unless you can get a salary dump and you know Taylor will not do that. Taking our available assets and not taking our current roster into account in using them is exactly why we have sucked forever.

You never know how much better you can be until you try. That our plan was waste an asset to draft a guy who plays a position that is stacked and sign a bunch of after thoughts at spots we desperately need is just foolish. Talent does not win. Teams win. Otherwise Melo would be on his farewell tour with 4 championships.
I dont think one good starter constitutes "stacked". Accumulate talent, worry about fit later. If we stockpile more talent at one position we just use that excess to address other needs. Obviously you dont do it to extremes where guys cant see the floor, but I dont think we have done that by any stretch.

Obviously you should try to fill out your roster with the types of players you are looking for so you can at least play the style you want and give guys roles. Moves like bringing in Bell is exactly what we should do, no assets used, minimum contract, well fitting piece. If he sticks then great, if not we try again next year.

Would you rather have Culver/Bell or Clarke and a minimum contract wing?

I think a big part of the problem is you are still holding out for Wiggins and its clouding your view of what we have. If you took him out of the equation, how strong did our wing rotation of Covington/Okogie look in June? Not very.
How many years of accumulate talent and don't worry about fit will it take before you realize it doesn't work? We are the poster boys for why it doesn't work. We have taught more players to be losers.

And I am not overrating our wing rotation. I am saying if we didn't foolishly dump Cam, Culver would be at best the 5th guy. At best. But we ignore PG and the 4 which are deep dark chasms. Oh, and we traded a 4 who was good, but even bette,r had good value to do it. It's the same "long view" Short sighted bullshit that they try to sell us every year. Don't worry everyone, we promise this will help us win in 3 years. You remember how long 3 years is right? It's when we fire this FO and hire a new one who will ask us to ignore the current roster so we can win in 3 years. I just don't get how anyone still falls for it.

Oh and that's when Taylor will pay lux tax too. RIGHT?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:38 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:38 am How many years of accumulate talent and don't worry about fit will it take before you realize it doesn't work? We are the poster boys for why it doesn't work. We have taught more players to be losers.

And I am not overrating our wing rotation. I am saying if we didn't foolishly dump Cam, Culver would be at best the 5th guy. At best. But we ignore PG and the 4 which are deep dark chasms. Oh, and we traded a 4 who was good, but even bette,r had good value to do it. It's the same "long view" Short sighted bullshit that they try to sell us every year. Don't worry everyone, we promise this will help us win in 3 years. You remember how long 3 years is right? It's when we fire this FO and hire a new one who will ask us to ignore the current roster so we can win in 3 years. I just don't get how anyone still falls for it.

Oh and that's when Taylor will pay lux tax too. RIGHT?
It doesnt work? We have never actually attempted it. The closest we got to it was just prior to the Butler trade, but rather than see it through we traded it in for that disaster and now we have to start over.

Wait, are you saying Culver would be below Cam effin Reynolds in the rotation?

We didnt ignore PG, there just wasnt a reasonable way to address it right now. Rosas wanted Garland, couldnt get him without overpaying, so we addressed other needs. And if you dont think wing is a need you are delusional! Wiggins is replacement level at best, Covington regularly misses time, and Okogie hasnt proven to be even an average NBA player yet. Theres literally no reason to even mention people like Cam Reynolds.

Saric was trash, hes literally not even as good as Bjelica who we let walk for nothing. Getting value for him rather than letting him go in FA was the best option BY FAR. He wont be missed and has already been replaced by what I believe to be a superior fit in Bell...for the minimum.

I will repeat it incase you missed it, but this team has never successfully completed a rebuild. Even if you go back to the Love/Rubio beginnings, we wasted assets by trading for BUMS like Chase Buddinger rather than stockpiling cheap controllable players. The CLOSEST we have ever gotten to actually seeing a rebuild through was right before trading for Butler. We should have been adding Lauri to our strong core, instead we flushed it for an 8th seed and you couldnt be happier about it. In my view you have no right to bitch about our current situation, you cheered it on, you wanted it. I should be the one bitching, but ive accepted the reality of our situation and would just like to move forward without shooting ourselves in the foot again.

Again, I hope that extremely BORING team which had to win a play in game to be the 8th seed was worth setting the franchise back 5 years. It wasnt for me then and it isnt now, and I wont advocate such emotional "durrr playoffs!" thinking.
The last thing Culver was, was a need. No one will ever convince me he was not taken as the highest rated player to be traded after Rosas fucked up. Every bit of evidence says it is so.And Cam was a legit NBA rotation player for us and Culver was just north of an undrafted the 2nd half of the year.

And Saric was enough to get to 6. That's value and value wasted. Just because he wasn't a good fit for us doesn't mean you piss him into the wind. It is among the most ridiculous things Rosas lovers say. We WASTED his value 100%.

And the Wolves always take the highest rated player regardless of position except when Thibs took Okogie. How do you ever know what your team needs are if you never just build a team? If we never address our weaknesses how do we even know the level of our strengths?

You can not rebuild if you never actually build something.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Whoa, thrillkill isn’t happy with Rosas?

This is news!