Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Free Agent Power Forwards

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
witljon

Re: Free Agent Power Forwards

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 am
While I get all the nostalgia for Cedric Maxwell and such, his last NBA game was more than 30 years ago. The game has evolved. To win in the NBA you need to have proper floor spacing on offense. WIthout spacing, as we have seen with the Wolves for several years now, help defenders can come at their leisure.
Are you talking about Cornbread?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SHAFA wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:20 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 am While I get all the nostalgia for Cedric Maxwell and such, his last NBA game was more than 30 years ago.
The game has evolved.
Okay. I'm not sure where Cedric Maxwell came from, but okay.
To win in the NBA you need to have proper floor spacing on offense. WIthout spacing, as we have seen with the Wolves for several years now, help defenders can come at their leisure. They want Dieng/Gibson to be left open for a long two and will gladly cut down the lanes available for Towns or Wiggins.
I liked Saric more than most and was happy to see him get a shot at starting a full year here, but uh, his shooting left something to be desired. He was 45% from the field as a whole during his stint here, and his splits over the entire year from 16-feet out sat at 36%.

To compare, albeit a smaller sample size, Gorgui was around 42% from 16+ feet out; Saric was just shy of 36%. He was 34% from behind the arc; Saric was 36.5%. He was hitting 50% from the left deep corner; Saric was around 36%. From the right, they were both around 33%.

While the numbers from distance along the arc are heavily skewed in favor of Saric by simple attempts alone, arguing that Saric is a far bigger threat on long jumpers doesn't really compute.
Well, there is a reason why Dieng is wide open on any shot from distance.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

So you argue that Dieng isn’t a big enough threat from outside, but when I show that he was comparable to, or better than, Saric from the same distances you trot out a completely arrogant, open-ended statement that means nothing.

I’m shocked.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:21 am So you argue that Dieng isn’t a big enough threat from outside, but when I show that he was comparable to, or better than, Saric from the same distances you trot out a completely arrogant, open-ended statement that means nothing.

I’m shocked.
Just a side take, but when gorgui makes them it always seems like overachieving and saric seemed like he was underachieving the whole time here.

Gorgui can get hot for sure, but it never seems sustainable.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Stork311 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:14 am
Stork311 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:15 pm Ugh...this is exactly my bitch.

We can’t move Wiggins. We can’t. We are in a terrible position and rosas is to blame. ^^^^^
Rosas is to blame for being unable to move a contract he never shelled out? :lol:
I'm glad I'm not starting a brand new job with you as my boss.....you want the guy to just make miracles happen in, what, a month tenure?
You maroon...

The context i was giving tied to the solution people seem to have that moving wiggins is next. Good fucking luck with that.
Wiggins is not untradeable....it's merely a matter of who will take him and the cost, but he's far from untradeable. Chris Paul is untradeable....Otto Porter had nearly the same deal is Wiggins and arguably the worse player, and his untradable contract got moved. Rosas doesn't need fucking luck to move him. Just try giving him at least an offseason. At least more than a month. :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

minnemike wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 am
SHAFA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:21 am So you argue that Dieng isn’t a big enough threat from outside, but when I show that he was comparable to, or better than, Saric from the same distances you trot out a completely arrogant, open-ended statement that means nothing.

I’m shocked.
Just a side take, but when gorgui makes them it always seems like overachieving and saric seemed like he was underachieving the whole time here.

don't know about threes - but gorgs is probably better at the elbow than anyone on the team not named towns.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 am
minnemike wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 am

I’m shocked.

don't know about threes - but gorgs is probably better at the elbow than anyone on the team not named towns.
Agreed. He and Lavine made each other better as a solid pick and pop combo. The problem isn't Gogui's ability to space, but the guards' inability to be a threat to finish. 18' on the weakside is enough space for KAT and guard pick and roll too.
Ketchup can be nuancy
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

why don't we see more PNR with wiggins and KAT? robco is around 39% from deep, whether it be teague or possibly russell - they're both in the passable 35-36% range from three - and gorgs is money from the midrange. to me, that seems like two players who should be able to get to the rim and if the D collapses - they've got shooters to kick it out to.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I wonder what the market is going to be for Bojan Bogdanovic. I know he's more of a 3 but...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

Cheick Diallo's option wasn't picked up by the Pelicans.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Maxi Kleber a guy to keep an eye on?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 am Maxi Kleber a guy to keep an eye on?
Tons of league-wide chatter on the guy...

After we sign DLo today, I’m interested in bringing back Gibson, Deng, or Tolliver (all on the cheap), or bringing-in RHJ.

Let’s go - hyped!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i just updated the opening page to show who signed where, for what, and who's left.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

do we still have our MLE - and if so, is there enough in it for either jamychal green or WCS? don't think they've signed with anyone yet - both are UFAs. green made $7.6M last year and WCS made $4.7M.

KAT - dieng - naz
green or WCS - bell - KBD

wouldn't be all that bad.

forgot about RHJ - he's a UFA who made $2.5M last year. i feel like he might be the least desireable of the three - even though i like him a lot. just as a smaller tweener SF/PF - we already have two players on the squad who fit that definition, roco and KBD. we might want to add a player with a little more size. but i'm on the fence about that - i wouldn't be upset if he was the guy we went after. helluva defender, versatile and probably the cheapest of the three.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm
Right now with how the roster is, I think you waive Graham and/or Wallace and add Reid, Nowell and a cut like this. I think Reid needs time and given his age you want bird rights on a small team friendly contract, Nowell is a guess and Wood might help and fits with what we are doing. Then again we likely need a third PG if you only make one cut. But if you are going to be shitty, what does it matter.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 pm
Right now with how the roster is, I think you waive Graham and/or Wallace and add Reid, Nowell and a cut like this. I think Reid needs time and given his age you want bird rights on a small team friendly contract, Nowell is a guess and Wood might help and fits with what we are doing. Then again we likely need a third PG if you only make one cut. But if you are going to be shitty, what does it matter.
ooh. i like christian wood. but you do have to wonder after awhile - if he looks good and has such good potential, why has he always been expendable? he is still only 23 though.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Can Graham shoot? If not, I'd cut him. Nowell can shoot but he's going to be a developmental guy of course.

Wing wise, we don't need Graham. I'd keep three pgs. Wiggins/Culver/Okogie/Roco/Layman logically takes up all minutes at the wing spots. Nowell developmental guy. That's 9 guys plus Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, Bell, KBD. 14 + Naz on the two way deal. Yeah, I think I take Wood over Graham.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Can Graham shoot? If not, I'd cut him. Nowell can shoot but he's going to be a developmental guy of course.

Wing wise, we don't need Graham. I'd keep three pgs. Wiggins/Culver/Okogie/Roco/Layman logically takes up all minutes at the wing spots. Nowell developmental guy. That's 9 guys plus Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, Bell, KBD. 14 + Naz on the two way deal. Yeah, I think I take Wood over Graham.
Graham can shoot, relative to Wallace. But neither of the two are prizes.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

So you can move Reid from a 2way contract to a full contract?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Yes.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Can but no rush up front of course.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm
ooh. i like christian wood. but you do have to wonder after awhile - if he looks good and has such good potential, why has he always been expendable? he is still only 23 though.
Looks like the Pistons got him. If waiver claims were based on record, this would mean MN didn't put a claim in.