Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Utah Has Acquired Mike Conley

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Utah Has Acquired Mike Conley

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm

But that wasn't the Crabbe trade, was it...
The Crabbe trade averaged out to a 2nd.
Yeah, if you use Common Core Math.
Or if you understood that in a flat draft this year 17 was not worth much of a differential. And the 2021 2nd is in the double draft.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Like it a lot for Utah. They're an Ingles upgrade from top 2 in the west.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm Like it a lot for Utah. They're an Ingles upgrade from top 2 in the west.
Ingles/Exum/pick to the Cavs for K Love.

Conley
Mitchell
O'Neal
Love
Gobert

discuss
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:34 pm
T_J wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm Like it a lot for Utah. They're an Ingles upgrade from top 2 in the west.
Ingles/Exum/pick to the Cavs for K Love.

Conley
Mitchell
O'Neal
Love
Gobert

discuss
Ha that'd be awesome. I did want to see the Ricky/Love reunion though.
Last edited by T_J on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

It will be interesting to see if the Grizzlies keep both Crowder and Korver. They're both on the last year of their team-friendly deals.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm

The Crabbe trade averaged out to a 2nd.
Or if you understood that in a flat draft this year 17 was not worth much of a differential. And the 2021 2nd is in the double draft.
Common Core to the hilt.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Common Core to the hilt.
It was worth what it was worth and that is about a 2nd. Ain't no changing that.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Common Core to the hilt.
No one in the whole world is going to pay $19 million for a 2nd.

And, if we do not have anything to do with the cap space, why spend a 2nd? Just waive Teague and move on.

While all of you geniuses are telling me why stretching Teague is a bad idea, there are at least two possibilites that I raised to stretch him and either sign a high end free agent THIS season, or acquire future assets. Why trade away an asset for nothing?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Common Core to the hilt.

And, if we do not have anything to do with the cap space, why spend a 2nd? Just waive Teague and move on.

While all of you geniuses are telling me why stretching Teague is a bad idea, there are at least two possibilites that I raised to stretch him and either sign a high end free agent THIS season, or acquire future assets. Why trade away an asset for nothing?
You are ignoring the fact that there is a minimum cap number and if you are under it the league just takes it from you. A team that is 19 under the salary floor Teague costs them not one thin dime. And you also ignore that he is a good player on an expiring deal
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Common Core to the hilt.

Well ATL basically paid 18.5 mil for the value of a 2nd. Don't know what else to tell you.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Well ATL basically paid 18.5 mil for the value of a 2nd. Don't know what else to tell you.
Ignoring that they received 2 first round picks.....
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:55 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Ignoring that they received 2 first round picks.....
Ignoring they got Prince and a 2nd in the double draft.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm

You are ignoring the fact that there is a minimum cap number and if you are under it the league just takes it from you. A team that is 19 under the salary floor Teague costs them not one thin dime. And you also ignore that he is a good player on an expiring deal
1. Assuming teams are under the minimum. There might be a couple of teams close to the floor.

2. If a team is under the cap, the difference in money is just distributed to the players on their roster.

3. The NBA min salary cap is $91 million. So, you need to find a team that is going to be significantly under that.

4. There are teams out there that want to make salary cap because they have a lot better things to do with it than dump Jeff Teague.

5. Teague could potentially have value to a competitive team that wants his Bird Rights to sign for a lower contract next season without cap implications. The problem is these teams do not have cap room, and if they do, they have bigger ideas than adding Teague. For them, signing Teague to a MLE level deal is probably th ebetter option.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:03 pm

1. Assuming teams are under the minimum. There might be a couple of teams close to the floor.

2. If a team is under the cap, the difference in money is just distributed to the players on their roster.

3. The NBA min salary cap is $91 million. So, you need to find a team that is going to be significantly under that.

4. There are teams out there that want to make salary cap because they have a lot better things to do with it than dump Jeff Teague.

5. Teague could potentially have value to a competitive team that wants his Bird Rights to sign for a lower contract next season without cap implications. The problem is these teams do not have cap room, and if they do, they have bigger ideas than adding Teague. For them, signing Teague to a MLE level deal is probably th ebetter option.
Not saying I think it's probable. But you don't just need to be 20 under the floor. What if you are 12 under? Then he costs you 7. What's the effect on other aspects of the deal then? What happens to the one or 2 teams with a lot of space when the best players say no to them? Do they overpay a 2nd tier guy? Smart one's would try again next year and trading for Teague just holds that money as an expiring.

Meh, it isn't going to happen until the deadline anyway.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Not saying I think it's probable. But you don't just need to be 20 under the floor. What if you are 12 under? Then he costs you 7. What's the effect on other aspects of the deal then? What happens to the one or 2 teams with a lot of space when the best players say no to them? Do they overpay a 2nd tier guy? Smart one's would try again next year and trading for Teague just holds that money as an expiring.

Meh, it isn't going to happen until the deadline anyway.
When we have very little to do with the money, why even consider it? Why give up an asset to just get rid of Teague?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am
Oh for fuck's sake, my hearts breaking a little :cry:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm Per Froobs: Utah should not be trying to improve and win, they should be blowing it up.
That's what we tend to do with the Wolves.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I like this trade for both teams. Conley does Memphis no good and they got some good draft assets.

Crowder is aight. Korver is old as dirt and meh to me. I wouldn't care to extend either if I'm Memphis.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm Per Froobs: Utah should not be trying to improve and win, they should be blowing it up.
That's what we tend to do with the Wolves.
What's that!? I can't hear you over the sound of our core exploding. :gun:
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Conley is pretty meh for his price, but fits Utah's mentality. Could be a nice get for them. Not a fleecing for either team, but a trade that makes sense for both.