Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Prediction: Draft Night

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: Prediction: Draft Night

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:55 pm Not a prediction, but I really hope we are the active wheeler and dealer. I suspect we will try and push to do a fair bit (which is the prediction) but it will be a question of pulling it off.
If you look at our future draft assets, for a 36 win team we really have a bare cupboard. We own one future draft pick, a 2022 2nd round pick (most favorable of Sixers and Nuggets). That pick was acquired in 2015 (we got the pick and Gary Neal for Mo Williams and Troy Daniels.

I think we could have moved Rose, Gibson, and even Tolliver last season and at least got some future assets. But we just stood pat.
I would have loved picks for those guy's last year. This organization was delusional thinking they could make the playoffs though.
Which is one of my points. Sometimes you just have ot be realistic. And being realistic means you need to truthfully assess your ability to make the playoffs.

If the Wolves believe they have a solid chance of making the playoffs this coming season, they are delusional. So, they should plan accordingly. That is why I am so adamant about dumping Teague. Just waive him if you cannot make a deal and move on. Get young players to develop instead. Winning 41 games and being the 10th seed isn't any different than winning 34 games and being the 11th or worse.

It is way more important to develop the schemes and chemistry for future seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 pm

If you look at our future draft assets, for a 36 win team we really have a bare cupboard. We own one future draft pick, a 2022 2nd round pick (most favorable of Sixers and Nuggets). That pick was acquired in 2015 (we got the pick and Gary Neal for Mo Williams and Troy Daniels.

I think we could have moved Rose, Gibson, and even Tolliver last season and at least got some future assets. But we just stood pat.
I would have loved picks for those guy's last year. This organization was delusional thinking they could make the playoffs though.
I’m not sure if it was Glen Taylor’s decision, or Layden’s ridiculous attempt to make a run, but it was futile and we will lose players for nothing when we could have received 2nds at the very least.
I think we could of got a late 1st for Rose. Not sure on Taj. Tolliver wouldn't have netted much.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:55 pm Not a prediction, but I really hope we are the active wheeler and dealer. I suspect we will try and push to do a fair bit (which is the prediction) but it will be a question of pulling it off.

Now that's just down right depressing. :(
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Which is one of my points. Sometimes you just have ot be realistic. And being realistic means you need to truthfully assess your ability to make the playoffs.

If the Wolves believe they have a solid chance of making the playoffs this coming season, they are delusional. So, they should plan accordingly. That is why I am so adamant about dumping Teague. Just waive him if you cannot make a deal and move on. Get young players to develop instead. Winning 41 games and being the 10th seed isn't any different than winning 34 games and being the 11th or worse.

It is way more important to develop the schemes and chemistry for future seasons.
Teague's contract becomes an asset come trade deadline, as does Dieng's at some point. As much as I want him gone, I could see us utilising the contract later on. It's one of those situations where we can't make the plays, but we can certainly assist and help if it means we will benefit in some small light.

But you're right, our only way now is to develop younger players. Let's see who we can get as a PG.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 pm

I’m not sure if it was Glen Taylor’s decision, or Layden’s ridiculous attempt to make a run, but it was futile and we will lose players for nothing when we could have received 2nds at the very least.
I think we could of got a late 1st for Rose. Not sure on Taj. Tolliver wouldn't have netted much.
Doogie said the Raptors offered CJ miles and a future 2nd for Tolliver. Dallas offered a 2nd as well but Layden declined. That was on his podcast in February.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 pm
Doogie said the Raptors offered CJ miles and a future 2nd for Tolliver. Dallas offered a 2nd as well but Layden declined. That was on his podcast in February.
Interesting.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Teague's contract becomes an asset come trade deadline, as does Dieng's at some point. As much as I want him gone, I could see us utilising the contract later on. It's one of those situations where we can't make the plays, but we can certainly assist and help if it means we will benefit in some small light.

But you're right, our only way now is to develop younger players. Let's see who we can get as a PG.
No, it really doesn't. It only becomes an "asset" if you are willing to take on money going into future seasons.

I much prefer waiving him, use the stretch provision, make a deal for assets with the Lakers or some other team willing to dump some small salary to position themselves for signing max contracts.

I suggested Wagner (a 2018 first round pick in his 2nd year of rookie deal), Bonga (a 20 year old PG) and two 2nds. If you get that for Teague at the deadline you would consider it a coup.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Cj miles has a player option and he opted in. Wolves didn’t want more money on the books.

Never confirmed who Dallas was going to send.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Interesting.
No way they take the Raptors deal because Miles had future money on his contract. No way the Wolves want $9 million of CJ Miles in 2019-20. Miles was part of the Gasol trade so it is doubtful he was offered.

ANd I doubt the Mavericks offered anything at the deadline. Why would a 33 win team offer any type of asset for Anthony Tolliver on an expiring contract? If this is even close to being true it meant we would have had to take future salary of just crap players.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Remember when we really wanted CJ Miles to cap off our side?

I can't even remember what season that was.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59 pm Remember when we really wanted CJ Miles to cap off our side?

I can't even remember what season that was.
2017 I believe.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:11 pm I bet is it will be Hachimura or Clarke come Thursday night
I predict it won't.
witljon

Post by witljon »

t_wrex wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm Some goober wing player gets picked, causing a log jam.
If that happens, we can start our trade speculations for Wiggins.

That will keep Wolves Chat busy for a couple a months. :thinking:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Wolves try to move up, we get the same story from the organization of how hard it is to make deals and trades and remain stuck at 11.

Wolves end up drafting one of the Gonzaga kids at 11, and the spin begins of how lucky we are that player X fell into our laps at 11 because we had him rated as one of the top 5 players in the draft on our draft board.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
j-one

Post by j-one »

I think they kept their team intact last year to give Ryan the best chance to post a reasonable WL record and get hired as permanent coach. Not wise. I have faith that Rosas will be more active in building around KAT. I suspect he doesn't like AW and will move him ASAP.

Prediction: nothing exciting in terms of trades as AW has too much $ left to move easily. We stay at 11 and make the pick. I do have faith in Rosas but I don't expect a quick turn around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Sekou falls to them. Wolves fans rejoice until they see what a project he is.
Last edited by Ask Not on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup can be nuancy
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

I guess I will be the first to predict Little will be our target if no trade up, which I don't think happens. And I don't see any obvious trade downs other than BOS, but with some guys leaving they likely want to keep 14 and 20 or 22.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I don’t see Rosas picking Little.

I don’t think he’ll be BPA at 11 (and I like Little).
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Woj said on last nights mock draft show that he believes the the 11th pick could be in play in a bigger deal. He said Rosas in not afraid of taking risks. You have to think before the night is over, their future PG is identified. I'm buying the hype and saying somehow they trade up and get Darius Garland.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Cj miles has a player option and he opted in. Wolves didn’t want more money on the books.

Never confirmed who Dallas was going to send.
JJ Barea's contract and a second or something.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
boo

Post by boo »

If the Russell thing has any legs at all, they will use the first round pick and trade out of the draft to create cap room.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am Woj said on last nights mock draft show that he believes the the 11th pick could be in play in a bigger deal. He said Rosas in not afraid of taking risks. You have to think before the night is over, their future PG is identified. I'm buying the hype and saying somehow they trade up and get Darius Garland.
I don’t think we have the assets to pull it off.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 am I don’t see Rosas picking Little.

So Sekou will be there? Fine with that, but I don't see it happening. Little is the only really high upside guy left at that point should the draft go as planned. I think they would love to trade down and get two guys in the bunched up tier, but with the news out of BOS I can't see that, not for 11.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am Woj said on last nights mock draft show that he believes the the 11th pick could be in play in a bigger deal. He said Rosas in not afraid of taking risks. You have to think before the night is over, their future PG is identified. I'm buying the hype and saying somehow they trade up and get Darius Garland.
Would you include a future first in the deal? All accounts are NO would rather deal this pick for future assets.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 am
thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 am I don’t see Rosas picking Little.

So Sekou will be there? Fine with that, but I don't see it happening. Little is the only really high upside guy left at that point should the draft go as planned. I think they would love to trade down and get two guys in the bunched up tier, but with the news out of BOS I can't see that, not for 11.
I really don’t see a ton of great options for us. I don’t see Sekou being there. I don’t see a trade down either. Maybe with Brooklyn but that’s a long shot.

I lean more toward Hachimura than Little recently, and I mean when analyzing what Rosas would do.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

We will draft Cam Reddish and move Jeff Teague for a future lottery protected 1st.

What I wish we do is we move down and get Bol Bol out of the lottery and try to acquire a future first rd pick.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

We will draft Cam Reddish and move Jeff Teague for a future lottery protected 1st.

What I wish we do is we move down and get Bol Bol out of the lottery and try to acquire a future first rd pick.
Last edited by H8ter on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:43 am
thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am
Would you include a future first in the deal? All accounts are NO would rather deal this pick for future assets.
I could get behind a future first but I don’t think that’s enough either. We’re not going to be worse so two late lotto picks and our player trade bait don’t move us up to 4.

Maybe, but I don’t think so.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

1. Wolves try and move up for a PG.
2. Doumbouya, Hui and Clarke in that order if PG is gone at #11 and those three are left.
3. #11 and Wiggins is moved to open up room for Russell.

My prediction since I never get what i want: Clarke is the pick.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

H8ter wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 am We will draft Cam Reddish and move Jeff Teague for a future lottery protected 1st.

Are you saying we are getting a first rd pick for Teague or giving up one to dump him?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?