Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
digitalwolf

Re: Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

Post by digitalwolf »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 am
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am 11 and Covington is fair to move up to 4. Garland is being compared to Lillard.....like a lot. Had he played the whole season, lots of folks might be talking him instead of Ja.

Not saying I love it, but if Rosas believes Garland is that elite, you pair that with KAT and you develop Wiggins. I will absolutely say that there's little doubt in my mind Garland can't be as good as Dlo. Just saying.
RoCo is one of my favorite players but if he is traded...well I guess I'll trust Rosas.
That's what it comes down to.....if we trust our GM knows what he's doing, sees what his scouts see, then a lotto pick and Cov is a steal for a future perennial AS. Garland's game is mature and ready to go now, so was Dame. Dame didn't take long to start scorching the league. If Gerson believes it, and he's right, we're actually winning this trade. If he's wrong, then we're still the same ole Wolves.

One key thing...Cov's short career has had some seasons of missed time. Maybe our medical staff doesn't like what they see a couple years down the road in him? But like you said, it's a trust thing at this point.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:39 am
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am 11 and Covington is fair to move up to 4. Garland is being compared to Lillard.....like a lot. Had he played the whole season, lots of folks might be talking him instead of Ja.

Not saying I love it, but if Rosas believes Garland is that elite, you pair that with KAT and you develop Wiggins. I will absolutely say that there's little doubt in my mind Garland can't be as good as Dlo. Just saying.
i've heard the comp for garland is teague - the good teague. which still doesn't move my needle enough to throw roco in on that deal. unless they know now - up close and personal - that roco is going to be forever brittle, i'd be reluctant to move a guy that came in last year and almost immediately turned our D around. if we stay at 11 and take clarke - clarke, roco and okogie are three really sweet defensive aces. lose the 11 and roco, and add a young PG with questions about his D, and we're just going to be worse than we were last year on that end of the floor.
I've literally never heard him compared to Teague.....at all? He's a better shooter as a college player than Teagues best year. He can shoot from deep, mid range, floaters.....he's nothing like Teague. What clowns have you been reading or listening to?
bri

Post by bri »

I'm not big on garland, very small sample size and have a bias for Covington.. if we could get a late first back it'd make it more tolerable
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

They should be offering Covington in these deals.

Him and his contract are what Teams want and he is one of the best assets we have to net a very high caliber player or pick.

I’ve always liked him as a player, but we lived without his services almost all of last season and ended up feeding Okogie a ton of minutes. This would put big pressure on Okogie to develop a shot and hit shots when needed if he is going to get those minutes. Rosas has said the team now takes responsibility in these players developing to their fullest...getting Okogie to hit wide open shots would be a damn nice start.

If this gets the Wolves A stud PG - you do it!!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

HUGE risk to go for Garland with 11 and RoCo. No one can deny that.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

bri wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 am I'm not big on garland, very small sample size and have a bias for Covington.. if we could get a late first back it'd make it more tolerable
He was the number one PG coming into college and simply missed time. Kyrie Irving was the number one PG coming into college. Small sample sizes get trumped by the eye test every time. He's been destroying his workouts for every team.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am HUGE risk to go for Garland with 11 and RoCo. No one can deny that.
It's the same risk as giving up a similar offer to clear space to sign Dlo IMO. I'm okay with staying put and taking the BPA, but if we're wanting to add someone with star power, you have to take risks.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 am
kilkenny wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am HUGE risk to go for Garland with 11 and RoCo. No one can deny that.
It's the same risk as giving up a similar offer to clear space to sign Dlo IMO. I'm okay with staying put and taking the BPA, but if we're wanting to add someone with star power, you have to take risks.
DAR was an all-star last year. Comparing him to Garland just makes zero sense.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 am
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 am
DAR was an all-star last year. Comparing him to Garland just makes zero sense.
How does it make zero sense. We're now linked to both, Garland has a higher ceiling without any injury history, bringing weed in an airport or ratting out teammates, and the contract costs are insanely different. The biggest reason there is comparison is because it's going to cost the Wolves our pick and pieces to move up to get Garland or to clear cap for DAR. If Rosas believes Garland will turn into Lillard, who landed and produced pretty quickly, than how does any of that comparison not make sense to you?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am They should be offering Covington in these deals.

Him and his contract are what Teams want and he is one of the best assets we have to net a very high caliber player or pick.

I’ve always liked him as a player, but we lived without his services almost all of last season and ended up feeding Okogie a ton of minutes. This would put big pressure on Okogie to develop a shot and hit shots when needed if he is going to get those minutes. Rosas has said the team now takes responsibility in these players developing to their fullest...getting Okogie to hit wide open shots would be a damn nice start.

If this gets the Wolves A stud PG - you do it!!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:

Let's trade the only guy on the roster that can play any defense. Smart.

Who's shit contract would we be picking up in this hypothetical trade?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 am

i've heard the comp for garland is teague - the good teague. which still doesn't move my needle enough to throw roco in on that deal. unless they know now - up close and personal - that roco is going to be forever brittle, i'd be reluctant to move a guy that came in last year and almost immediately turned our D around. if we stay at 11 and take clarke - clarke, roco and okogie are three really sweet defensive aces. lose the 11 and roco, and add a young PG with questions about his D, and we're just going to be worse than we were last year on that end of the floor.
I've literally never heard him compared to Teague.....at all? He's a better shooter as a college player than Teagues best year. He can shoot from deep, mid range, floaters.....he's nothing like Teague. What clowns have you been reading or listening to?
it's what i thought while watching him - and then oddly enough the comparison has been made by others, both local rubes and elsewhere - so you must have just missed that. the garland/teague comp is not particularly far-fetched. and you're comparing teague's career shooting stats to the four college games that garland played? kind of a disparity in sample size there. found it: greg patuto of clutch points was one of the national guys who compared him to teague (that's his primary comp btw) - he mentions that others have also compared him to lillard, but he doesn't agree with that assessment because lillard is far superior to garland athletically.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:39 am

RoCo is one of my favorite players but if he is traded...well I guess I'll trust Rosas.
That's what it comes down to.....if we trust our GM knows what he's doing, sees what his scouts see, then a lotto pick and Cov is a steal for a future perennial AS. Garland's game is mature and ready to go now, so was Dame. Dame didn't take long to start scorching the league. If Gerson believes it, and he's right, we're actually winning this trade. If he's wrong, then we're still the same ole Wolves.

One key thing...Cov's short career has had some seasons of missed time. Maybe our medical staff doesn't like what they see a couple years down the road in him? But like you said, it's a trust thing at this point.
It's a sizable risk right off the bat. It's also a signal of not looking to compete for the playoffs next year.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 am

it's what i thought while watching him - and then oddly enough the comparison has been made by others, both local rubes and elsewhere - so you must have just missed that. the garland/teague comp is not particularly far-fetched. and you're comparing teague's career shooting stats to the four college games that garland played? kind of a disparity in sample size there.
I said it to you 4 months ago and you saw it. Not like they are clones but Tight handle, patient, quick pull up mid range game. Garland just looks like he will be a better shooter.

I don't see any way they pull this off though. 8 and 10 has been on the board for the pick since it was still LA. How do we beat that without a team gut? I mean unless they have a legit deal for Wigs how do we do it? This seems a little like new guy trying out his new toys. Practice test or whatever. I hope it's not a GM posturing like we are trying extra hard. Hard not to sometimes think that having watched Kahn pretend that Taylor would let him do anything.

My money is still on trade back but here's one way I can see us being in a trade with NO. NO trades 4 for 8 and 11 and then flips us 8 for 11 and 1st next year so we can get Doumboya.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I rather keep Roco
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I like Garland but I'm kind of shocked they're entertaining moving Covington considering the need for 3 & D guys.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Yeah can we keep Covington, we were a decent ball club last year post Butler when he was healthy.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I don’t like trading first team defense guys when our team defense is bottom 5 in the league
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 am

it's what i thought while watching him - and then oddly enough the comparison has been made by others, both local rubes and elsewhere - so you must have just missed that. the garland/teague comp is not particularly far-fetched. and you're comparing teague's career shooting stats to the four college games that garland played? kind of a disparity in sample size there.
I said it to you 4 months ago and you saw it. Not like they are clones but Tight handle, patient, quick pull up mid range game. Garland just looks like he will be a better shooter.

I don't see any way they pull this off though. 8 and 10 has been on the board for the pick since it was still LA. How do we beat that without a team gut? I mean unless they have a legit deal for Wigs how do we do it? This seems a little like new guy trying out his new toys. Practice test or whatever. I hope it's not a GM posturing like we are trying extra hard. Hard not to sometimes think that having watched Kahn pretend that Taylor would let him do anything.

My money is still on trade back but here's one way I can see us being in a trade with NO. NO trades 4 for 8 and 11 and then flips us 8 for 11 and 1st next year so we can get Doumboya.
credit where credits due. you're right, thrill - it was you where i first saw the teague/garland comp. and, at least to my eyes, they do look really similar in style.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:29 am

credit where credits due. you're right, thrill - it was you where i first saw the teague/garland comp. and, at least to my eyes, they do look really similar in style.
Got lucky enough when looking for any good game early to find them on. Was really watching to see Simi Shittu but he sort of blew me away. You remember I was happy he got hurt because it would be our only chance to get him. Pretty much knew he'd never get to 10 once we finished there though. Once you knew all the maybe his knee is still hurt turned into he basically declared for the draft the second he got hurt and he was fine? He was always gonna be a top 5 pick.

It is just really tough to make that deal. Tell me Roco will be injured a lot for the next 3 years and OK. I never want to move Okogie because I think he is going to work his ass off and end up the self made Butler #2. If the pieces come from a Wigs trade we have to get one to fill out the wing.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'm ok with trading RoCo. Highly overrated here. Middle of the road starter at best.

We would still be keeping Okogie this way also.

Honestly if it's just #11 and RoCo to get to #4, that's a steal.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am I'm ok with trading RoCo. Highly overrated here. Middle of the road starter at best.

Solomon Hill coming back too probably.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

T_J wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 am

It's a sizable risk right off the bat. It's also a signal of not looking to compete for the playoffs next year.
Considering the amount of holes this team has, I never needed a signal that the playoffs were happening next year. Just because GS took a hit in now way makes the West all of the sudden easy. Even adding Dlo, Portland and the Nugs are legit, LA finally is respectable, the Clips already were and will most likely add. Despite turmoil, the Rox are a 50 win team....and the Jazz just upgraded themselves. Dallas has a healthy KP now.....whatever move we make, adding Garland or Dlo, we still have a lot of work to do to be thinking about even an 8th seed. The only thing that makes us jump into the real mix is if Andrew Wiggins flips on some switch that most of us believe he doesn't have.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am I'm ok with trading RoCo. Highly overrated here. Middle of the road starter at best.

Yeah thats worth it for pg starter of the future. Worth the risk. Fine if we need to dump our 2nd to take back a scrub. Easy.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

I agree at this point you cant risk losing out on a potential stud PG to end up with Roco on the bench. I did love what I saw from him when he was playing though.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

The Wolves must know that RoCo is damage good. I would trade him in a heartbeat.
Style

Post by Style »

With Covington our ceiling is a playoff team.
With Covington our floor is a fringe playoff team/late lotto team.

With Garland our ceiling is a high level team.
With Garland our floor is early lotto.

Shoot your shot. The middle is the worst place to be in the NBA.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:38 am
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:29 am

Got lucky enough when looking for any good game early to find them on. Was really watching to see Simi Shittu but he sort of blew me away. You remember I was happy he got hurt because it would be our only chance to get him. Pretty much knew he'd never get to 10 once we finished there though. Once you knew all the maybe his knee is still hurt turned into he basically declared for the draft the second he got hurt and he was fine? He was always gonna be a top 5 pick.

It is just really tough to make that deal. Tell me Roco will be injured a lot for the next 3 years and OK. I never want to move Okogie because I think he is going to work his ass off and end up the self made Butler #2. If the pieces come from a Wigs trade we have to get one to fill out the wing.
Covington will be hurt a ton in the next 3 years. He's hitting 29 in Dec, and plays like a bull in a china shop. Okogie will be everything Covington is now and more in 2. Don't get too attached to Bobby. He gone.
Style

Post by Style »

Agree.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

It'd be hilarious to see the new regime turn Wiggins into prime Danny Green.

Corner 3's and D.

The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:46 am
T_J wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 am

Considering the amount of holes this team has, I never needed a signal that the playoffs were happening next year. Just because GS took a hit in now way makes the West all of the sudden easy. Even adding Dlo, Portland and the Nugs are legit, LA finally is respectable, the Clips already were and will most likely add. Despite turmoil, the Rox are a 50 win team....and the Jazz just upgraded themselves. Dallas has a healthy KP now.....whatever move we make, adding Garland or Dlo, we still have a lot of work to do to be thinking about even an 8th seed. The only thing that makes us jump into the real mix is if Andrew Wiggins flips on some switch that most of us believe he doesn't have.
Is it possible the new assistant coaches can design an offensive that focuses on Wiggins strengths? I feel like someday the light will turn on for him but it will be for a different team.