Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
witljon

Re: Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 pm Ick. I like both Garland and Russell but it's one or the other for me.
I prefer Russell.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 pm Ick. I like both Garland and Russell but it's one or the other for me.
I prefer Russell.
Same.

I don't think we have the assets to acquire #4. I also don't see how we are going to pay Russell without moving Wiggins.

I think Russell gets maxed or very close to it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bri

Post by bri »

Still don't see any way the Wolves move up to 4 without giving an unprotected pick.
6 may be feasible but still doubtful
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

bri wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm Still don't see any way the Wolves move up to 4 without giving an unprotected pick.
Agree that would be tough. Atlanta denied for #3 for 8 and 10. But they want Barrett.

All for Garland. Not at all for cost to get White.

Culiver would be a nice Wiggins replacement if possible.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I would rather pay the cost now to move up a bit and get Garland on his rookie deal. Then to sign and trade for D'angelo Russell and pay him 25% of the salary cap for 5 years. That just seems like a no brainer to me.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

bri wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm Still don't see any way the Wolves move up to 4 without giving an unprotected pick.
Wasnt there something about some Wolves media guy saying you would really have to like (Coby) White to make that move...an undisclosed move he was talking about. Maybe he was talking about moving up with the hopes of grabbing Garlund, but having to have White as the fall pick?

Regardless, that is probably dead. Draft is tomorrow, likely no trades until then.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 pm
Wasnt there something about some Wolves media guy saying you would really have to like (Coby) White to make that move...an undisclosed move he was talking about. Maybe he was talking about moving up with the hopes of grabbing Garlund, but having to have White as the fall pick?

Regardless, that is probably dead. Draft is tomorrow, likely no trades until then.
If they get to pick 4 and Garland is still on the board and NO still has that pick. Sprinkle some more goodies on top, see if you can get a deal done. White doesn't do much for me.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 pm

If they get to pick 4 and Garland is still on the board and NO still has that pick. Sprinkle some more goodies on top, see if you can get a deal done. White doesn't do much for me.
White doesnt do shit for me either, and I don't think Garlund does as well. Just really wish we landed 10 instead of 11 so we could land Sekou or Rui. I expect either one of those will be the pick if available at 11, but will be sniped, and then a trade down will ensue. I don't want to trade up in this draft unless it was for top 3, which isnt happening.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Agreed. If we can get Garland, great. I would rather stay put than trade to move up for White.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I've only seen highlights of Garland but he looks ultra smooth and just a beast with his handle. Heard he's killing it in these team workouts too. Great off the dribble shooter.
witljon

Post by witljon »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 pm I've only seen highlights of Garland but he looks ultra smooth and just a beast with his handle. Heard he's killing it in these team workouts too. Great off the dribble shooter.
What I've read is Garland is an effortless shot-creator and a really good pull shooter.

He had more turnovers than assists in college and his playmaking is as undeveloped that stat suggests.
And his physical limitations could cause problems at either end, but especially on defense.

Do his pros outweigh his cons? Or is he rated this high because its a weak draft?
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

In. Let's see our very own trade machine pull off a trade for 4 and Russell while keeping Kat and Roco.. :beer:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Crazy idea?

Gut your team for Garland to make enough room to sign Russell, who is 6’ 5’’ and has wings of a condor.

Garland
Russell
Wigs
????
Towns
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 pm
KATMANDUDE wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:44 pm Apparently NO is not really interested in more draft picks, but rather a proven player for the #4.

Wiggins?
Wiggins is definitely a proven player. Unfortunately, he's proven that he sucks.
Wiggins doesn't suck.....he simply didn't live up to the 1st overall pick/max contract status. There's still dozens and dozens of players that actually suck in this league well ahead of Andrew. If you don't believe me, watch a Knicks game from last season.....maybe pop on some games of Cleveland or Chicago....fuck, even the Lakers!
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am Crazy idea?

Gut your team for Garland to make enough room to sign Russell, who is 6’ 5’’ and has wings of a condor.

Garland
Russell
Wigs
????
Towns
There's not enough to gut to get both without finding a buyer for Wiggins.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Interesting perspective on Pelicans only looking at 8-15 range prospects instead of @4

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/6/20 ... e-langford
Style

Post by Style »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am Interesting perspective on Pelicans only looking at 8-15 range prospects instead of @4

They need a shooter with size? Well lucky for them, we've got it! Later Saric!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am Interesting perspective on Pelicans only looking at 8-15 range prospects instead of @4

I didn't read the article, but without doing so, unless the Knicks get silly and pick Garland, the next few top prospects don't really make sense for them. Grabbing a PG with Holiday and Ball there doesn't make a ton of sense. Hunter I don't think fits with Zion despite his awesome defense and they may simply not be impressed with Culver, like me. But once you get to 8 and on.....there's more SG options, some bigs to play opposite Zion. So again, without reading, it kind of makes sense purely based off need and how the order is shaking up. But all the Knicks need to do is pick Garland and all of the sudden they might not want to move at all.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Would be sweet!
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Rumor mill has the Wolves pursuing a 3 way trade NO-LA-MN to move up to #4

https://apple.news/A0Nfn-gmoTluVgOP9T5gmfQ
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 am Rumor mill has the Wolves pursuing a 3 way trade NO-LA-MN to move up to #4

Not sure how I feel about trading RoCo.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:22 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 am Rumor mill has the Wolves pursuing a 3 way trade NO-LA-MN to move up to #4

digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

11 and Covington is fair to move up to 4. Garland is being compared to Lillard.....like a lot. Had he played the whole season, lots of folks might be talking him instead of Ja.

Not saying I love it, but if Rosas believes Garland is that elite, you pair that with KAT and you develop Wiggins. I will absolutely say that there's little doubt in my mind Garland can't be as good as Dlo. Just saying.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:24 am
kilkenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 pm
KATMANDUDE wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:44 pm Apparently NO is not really interested in more draft picks, but rather a proven player for the #4.

Wiggins?
Wiggins is definitely a proven player. Unfortunately, he's proven that he sucks.
Wiggins doesn't suck.....he simply didn't live up to the 1st overall pick/max contract status. There's still dozens and dozens of players that actually suck in this league well ahead of Andrew. If you don't believe me, watch a Knicks game from last season.....maybe pop on some games of Cleveland or Chicago....fuck, even the Lakers!
No, he sucks. Glad to clear that up for you. Stats back that up. Hopefully, he won't suck next year if he's still with us?
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Why on earth would we trade 11 and RoCo for 4? No way.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

And if it's a three way, I want Wagner from LA, and I'd really love the idea of somehow grabbing Moore from NO.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am 11 and Covington is fair to move up to 4. Garland is being compared to Lillard.....like a lot. Had he played the whole season, lots of folks might be talking him instead of Ja.

Not saying I love it, but if Rosas believes Garland is that elite, you pair that with KAT and you develop Wiggins. I will absolutely say that there's little doubt in my mind Garland can't be as good as Dlo. Just saying.
RoCo is one of my favorite players but if he is traded...well I guess I'll trust Rosas.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 am

Why on earth would we trade 11 and RoCo for 4? No way.
Because they believe Garland is player that can be as good as Damian Lillard. Would you trade a lotto pick and Roco for Damian Lillard? Of course....we just have to trust our GM. If he believes Garland can reach that level, it's a more than fair deal.
Style

Post by Style »

I'd do it.

RoCo is a stud, yet our ceiling is capped with him as our #2.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am 11 and Covington is fair to move up to 4. Garland is being compared to Lillard.....like a lot. Had he played the whole season, lots of folks might be talking him instead of Ja.

i've heard the comp for garland is teague - the good teague. which still doesn't move my needle enough to throw roco in on that deal. unless they know now - up close and personal - that roco is going to be forever brittle, i'd be reluctant to move a guy that came in last year and almost immediately turned our D around. if we stay at 11 and take clarke - clarke, roco and okogie are three really sweet defensive aces. lose the 11 and roco, and add a young PG with questions about his D, and we're just going to be worse than we were last year on that end of the floor.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.