Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Wolves possibly looking to move up for Garland

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:56 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm Everyone saying they would rather give up Saric than RoCo. No shit huh?

Problem with that is Saric sucks and no one is giving you #4 with him swapped out for RoCo.

Trade Saric for some late 1st rd lottety tickets imo.
What part of Saric is the guy they want is getting past you?
There are reports they want Saric?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm Everyone saying they would rather give up Saric than RoCo. No shit huh?

Problem with that is Saric sucks and no one is giving you #4 with him swapped out for RoCo.

It seems several missed that nugget. If it is true or not that is the question.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Thread full of offensive stat readers and vid game players.

If you think RoCo is overrated take up a sport with no D so you can understand it. Just a guy. Which is why we were twice the team with him.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 pm

There are reports they want Saric?
No they want RoCo

Jeff Goodman
New Orleans boss David Griffin trying to get another first-rounder and also a player on a good contract for the No. 4 pick. Told there have been discussions between Pels No. 4 pick and Minnesota involving No. 11 and Robert Covington.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm Thread full of offensive stat readers and vid game players.

If you think RoCo is overrated take up a sport with no D so you can understand it. Just a guy. Which is why we were twice the team with him.
Lol. "Twice the team with him"

That was such a small sample size. He's nothing special.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am Using Saric to move up to #4 doesn't make sense for NOP. They would seem to have their future PF in Zion.

Then again, they also have Ingram at SF.

As I stated in another thread ...
Wolves move up, but not far enough to draft Garland. Pick up White instead.

(just to be clear, I'd rather have Garland).
They want RoCo

Jeff Goodman
New Orleans boss David Griffin trying to get another first-rounder and also a player on a good contract for the No. 4 pick. Told there have been discussions between Pels No. 4 pick and Minnesota involving No. 11 and Robert Covington.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Absolute Classic scenario

NOP wants 11+Covington
MIN wants to give up 11+Saric

IMO the deal would be 11+Saric+Taking a bad contract
D_H

Post by D_H »

Southpaw23 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:09 pm Absolute Classic scenario

NOP wants 11+Covington

https://www.inquisitr.com/5491657/nba-r ... urth-pick/
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

D_H wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:11 pm

NOP wants 11+Covington

Are you supporting my premise or?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Like I said.. Who gives a shit. Give them both if need be. Saric is not a guy I want to pay next year.

Obviously if you can keep RoCo you do it but not having to give up any future picks is a steal imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

NOP wants 11+Covington

Which would be Hill.....which I would take on if the cost were actually Saric and not Cov. Cov has awesome value because he's on an amazing deal and he's a very good player. He's not untouchable by any stretch though....we're better with him, all teams are. I would, however, argue that Oki can easily turn into the exact same player as Cov. So if you can't move Wiggins, and the coaching staff thinks they can get him going and get Oki to where he's a starting 3 &d guy, then I really have no issue moving Cov.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Southpaw23 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:12 pm
D_H wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:11 pm

NOP wants 11+Covington

Are you supporting my premise or?
I cheer for the Wolves when they are not playing Philly but I really don't care either way. They're both just guys.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm Like I said.. Who gives a shit. Give them both if need be. Saric is not a guy I want to pay next year.

Obviously if you can keep RoCo you do it but not having to give up any future picks is a steal imo.
We might not want to pay him, but as of right now, he's our starting PF. Maybe Diop takes a big leap this year, but we are extremely thing with bigs. If you throw him in just for fun, we essentially have a three man rotation of KAT/Dieng, and Diop. That's not going to end well.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm Like I said.. Who gives a shit. Give them both if need be. Saric is not a guy I want to pay next year.

We might not want to pay him, but as of right now, he's our starting PF. Maybe Diop takes a big leap this year, but we are extremely thing with bigs. If you throw him in just for fun, we essentially have a three man rotation of KAT/Dieng, and Diop. That's not going to end well.
I want this team in full out tank this season. They are not going anywhere this year. That is just my opinion though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 pm

I want this team in full out tank this season. They are not going anywhere this year. That is just my opinion though.
You could still tank out with Saric, and I'd argue it be better for us anyhow. He has the starting nod day one....most likely will build his value, thus giving us a chance to cash in higher than just some add on now. He's not a game changer, but we're short on bodies, and since he's still dirt cheap and we need size, I don't see how we'd let him go for tanking purposes.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm Thread full of offensive stat readers and vid game players.

"Twice the team" meaning topping out as a low seed one and done, if that.

If you can get a potential actual star for him, do it ten times out of ten. He's good but he's just a guy.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

"Twice the team" meaning topping out as a low seed one and done, if that.

If you can get a potential actual star for him, do it ten times out of ten. He's good but he's just a guy.
Crap are we playing with last year's team? I was hoping we could add some guys and get a new coach and POBO. Is he a 1st team just a guy player? Was that it?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Covington is not overrated....people can stop that noise. At the same time though, if our brass believes a guy like Garland is the next Lillard or Kyrie, then you have no issue move him with our pick to get that. Having a deadly perimeter player to pair with KAT is the most ideal thing the Wolves can do. If it costs Cov and the 11th pick, then it's completely okay to send him down the road. I've said before, Cov is good....contract is awesome, but I can very easily see Oki turning into a very, very similar player. Still don't know what the fuck our big man situation is going to be, but I would feel very good about a Garland/KAT duo with two slashing wings.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:38 pm Covington is not overrated....people can stop that noise. At the same time though, if our brass believes a guy like Garland is the next Lillard or Kyrie, then you have no issue move him with our pick to get that. Having a deadly perimeter player to pair with KAT is the most ideal thing the Wolves can do. If it costs Cov and the 11th pick, then it's completely okay to send him down the road. I've said before, Cov is good....contract is awesome, but I can very easily see Oki turning into a very, very similar player. Still don't know what the fuck our big man situation is going to be, but I would feel very good about a Garland/KAT duo with two slashing wings.
We all knew that in the next 2 years our biggest issue is PG of the future. And it was obviously going to be easier to address it at the deadline or next offseason. Being able to do it now and with the guy I just love would be cool. But at what cost? It's not just losing a great player on a great contract in RoCo. It's being unable to get the defensive big we desperately need at 11. It's not being able to shore up our wing depth in the 40's.For a team that is brutal on D that's rough. Not only don't we shore up the D we take away the best defender. We would be taking a giant step backward. And if he is Lillard no one will care in 3 years. But I've had 1 playoff team in 15 years and I'm getting pissed.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

R E L A X.......Don’t Do It.

OK. I’ve been checking this board and other sites, and this is feeling more and more like every Wolves draft, under every other Wolves management team.

We are picking 11.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Style

Post by Style »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:38 pm Covington is not overrated....people can stop that noise. At the same time though, if our brass believes a guy like Garland is the next Lillard or Kyrie, then you have no issue move him with our pick to get that. Having a deadly perimeter player to pair with KAT is the most ideal thing the Wolves can do. If it costs Cov and the 11th pick, then it's completely okay to send him down the road. I've said before, Cov is good....contract is awesome, but I can very easily see Oki turning into a very, very similar player. Still don't know what the fuck our big man situation is going to be, but I would feel very good about a Garland/KAT duo with two slashing wings.
We all knew that in the next 2 years our biggest issue is PG of the future. And it was obviously going to be easier to address it at the deadline or next offseason. Being able to do it now and with the guy I just love would be cool. But at what cost? It's not just losing a great player on a great contract in RoCo. It's being unable to get the defensive big we desperately need at 11. It's not being able to shore up our wing depth in the 40's.For a team that is brutal on D that's rough. Not only don't we shore up the D we take away the best defender. We would be taking a giant step backward. And if he is Lillard no one will care in 3 years. But I've had 1 playoff team in 15 years and I'm getting pissed.
The goal shouldn't be to cap out at a playoff team. That's short sighted and leads to errors in judgment like thinking RoCo is untradeable for a potential star player.

The middle is the worst place to be in the NBA.

Shoot your shot.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Post by Style »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:11 pm Here's where I'm at with RoCo as if anyone actually cares. He's 28, and with the way the West is stacked we could honestly be in the 8th to 12th seed discussion... out of the playoffs or just barely in. By the time the powers shift around again, and our squad has an opportunity to take a leap forward, RoCo could be pushing his mid-30's. Keeping him makes us a fringe playoff team with nothing but first round exits to show for it.

Now, if moving RoCo means taking a stab at a young but very very talented kid who would likely have been the 2nd overall pick had he not got hurt, and probably would have been the #1 overall pick in most other drafts had he not gotten hurt and not come out in the same draft as "the next LBJ"... well... It's been real, RoCo, and good luck to you buddy. Peace
Agreed.

Peace.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

He's only overrated by wolves fans.
Last edited by whiskerbiscuit on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

2nd on the team in blocks, steals and defensive rebounds. Trade him for potential.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

The fact that he missed about half the season with a bone bruise makes me question his durability to be honest. That might be the wrong way to look at it, but it just gives me an uneasy feeling, and if you can get the #4 pick in a deal that includes him, I say go for it.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sorry but Covington is the 3rd or 4th best player on a really good team.

We need to get a 2nd, and likely a solid 3rd best player before we worry about if we need to keep a player like Covington or not.

I have no issue if they try to use him or Okogie to try and get those 2nd and 3rd best players.

Use your heads here folks.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Wolves were 8-5 in games Covington played. Real small sample size, but that's a 50-win pace. He's an extremely valuable piece.

I'd trade him for the 4 to get Garland because I think Garland will be awesome, but I wouldn't include the 11. Maybe a future lottery-protected first.