Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Would you....

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Ash Ketchum

Re: Would you....

Post by Ash Ketchum »

No.

We get what you’re saying, and we understand your logic, but it’s not the right move in my opinion.

Why start a thread titled “Would You...” and then have a bunch of posts where you’re essentially talking down to people who simply are answering the original question you posed as if we’re only disagreeing with you because we don’t understand how it would work?

You do this in Purple Chat too. Enjoy the discussion with fellow Rubes. You don’t need to flip out anytime anyone dares to not wholeheartedly agree with you.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

No.

We get what you’re saying, and we understand your logic, but it’s not the right move in my opinion.

Why start a thread titled “Would You...” and then have a bunch of posts where you’re essentially talking down to people who simply are answering the original question you posed as if we’re only disagreeing with you because we don’t understand how it would work?

You do this in Purple Chat too. Enjoy the discussion with fellow Rubes. You don’t need to flip out anytime anyone dares to not wholeheartedly agree with you.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Fuck no. Dumbest thread of the week.
T_J

Post by T_J »

This thread is ban worthy.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 pm Hell no...I want all of Teague’s cap hit off the books either by trade or expire after this year...no reason to kick the can down curb and pay $ for a few more years. We are still paying Aldrich for god sake against our cap
Yep. He's a good player. We were way better with him. And if he does the same and stays healthy we can get something for him as opposed to having his debt for years to come. Never even a thought stretching a guy in his last year. So many other things you can do.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

T_J wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 pm Fuck no. Dumbest thread of the week.
:thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:36 pm
T_J wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 pm Fuck no. Dumbest thread of the week.
:thumbsup:
Challenge accepted.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 pm Hell no...I want all of Teague’s cap hit off the books either by trade or expire after this year...no reason to kick the can down curb and pay $ for a few more years. We are still paying Aldrich for god sake against our cap
Yep. He's a good player. We were way better with him. And if he does the same and stays healthy we can get something for him as opposed to having his debt for years to come. Never even a thought stretching a guy in his last year. So many other things you can do.
He is a good player. Jeff Teague has always been a favorite player of mine after playing at Wake.

But he has no value to the Wolves. He is in his last year here and no one wants him. He is not part of the future. Whatever value he adds to making the team better this season, he makes us worse in the future when hopefully we can actually be competitive.

Every game that Jeff Teague plays this season for the Wolves is lost value that a younger player who may or may not be part of the future isn't playing. That player is an open question mark. Jeff Teague is a certainty.

What baffles me is that people pretend that cap space has value to the Wolves in signing free agents. We saw what value it had in the Thibs years: Gibson (a nice player but nothing ground breaking) and the guy we are trying to get rid of in Teague. That was $33 million a year we spent and what did we get?

Playing Jeff Teague (when he is healthy) and winning 5 extra games is a loss in my book, and should be in everyone elses. This has been the history of this franchise, clinging to and/or seeking "veteran" mediocrities instead of just making a commitment to the future. So we got games of Luke Ridnour and Darko Milicic and many other similar players yet, if you look at our history, we never developed anybody. Somehow winning teams like the Spurs develop player after player, players from the garbage bin, and work them into valuable pieces of 60+ win teams. But the Wolves, despite our consistent losing, never has.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:40 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm
He is a good player. Jeff Teague has always been a favorite player of mine after playing at Wake.

But he has no value to the Wolves. He is in his last year here and no one wants him. He is not part of the future. Whatever value he adds to making the team better this season, he makes us worse in the future when hopefully we can actually be competitive.

Every game that Jeff Teague plays this season for the Wolves is lost value that a younger player who may or may not be part of the future isn't playing. That player is an open question mark. Jeff Teague is a certainty.

What baffles me is that people pretend that cap space has value to the Wolves in signing free agents. We saw what value it had in the Thibs years: Gibson (a nice player but nothing ground breaking) and the guy we are trying to get rid of in Teague. That was $33 million a year we spent and what did we get?

Playing Jeff Teague (when he is healthy) and winning 5 extra games is a loss in my book, and should be in everyone elses. This has been the history of this franchise, clinging to and/or seeking "veteran" mediocrities instead of just making a commitment to the future. So we got games of Luke Ridnour and Darko Milicic and many other similar players yet, if you look at our history, we never developed anybody. Somehow winning teams like the Spurs develop player after player, players from the garbage bin, and work them into valuable pieces of 60+ win teams. But the Wolves, despite our consistent losing, never has.
Dude of course he has value to us. He is our best PG by far and he has no commitment past this year. He will have value at the deadline if healthy as a player not just an expiring. He might also have value to us leading us to a playoff spot. Whether we move him at the deadline will depend on what kind of contracts we have to take back but it could be anywhere from a team giving us a serviceable piece they want off their cap or expirings to match and a pick from a team that needs a playoff piece. And there is always a chance he excels in Ryan's offense and we re-sign hi to a more friendly deal. I mean look at what Brooklyn just paid to get rid of a big deal.

We will be adding a PG either with the 2nd rounder, a UDFA, or in FA. We then have at least until the deadline to decide if we can afford to trade him or we need him to fight for a playoff spot. But saying he has no value ignores just how much better we were when he played. And that was in basically the worst year of his career shooting and injury wise.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Dude of course he has value to us. He is our best PG by far and he has no commitment past this year. He will have value at the deadline if healthy as a player not just an expiring. He might also have value to us leading us to a playoff spot. Whether we move him at the deadline will depend on what kind of contracts we have to take back but it could be anywhere from a team giving us a serviceable piece they want off their cap or expirings to match and a pick from a team that needs a playoff piece. And there is always a chance he excels in Ryan's offense and we re-sign hi to a more friendly deal. I mean look at what Brooklyn just paid to get rid of a big deal.

We will be adding a PG either with the 2nd rounder, a UDFA, or in FA. We then have at least until the deadline to decide if we can afford to trade him or we need him to fight for a playoff spot. But saying he has no value ignores just how much better we were when he played. And that was in basically the worst year of his career shooting and injury wise.
And so, next season when all of the PG minutes went to Jeff Teague for nothing and we have no other player developed, we just take the problems associated with blending that player into the lineup? And for what? Jeff Teague aint leading us to a playoff spot and his value at the deadline will not even be Wagner, Bonga, and 2 2nds.

This is what is hilarious about these assertions. You are talking about Jeff Teague's trade value like it is enough to move us up from 11 to 6 in this draft like some people have spouted off about.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Please don’t feed the mlhouse.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm

And so, next season when all of the PG minutes went to Jeff Teague for nothing and we have no other player developed, we just take the problems associated with blending that player into the lineup? And for what? Jeff Teague aint leading us to a playoff spot and his value at the deadline will not even be Wagner, Bonga, and 2 2nds.

This is what is hilarious about these assertions. You are talking about Jeff Teague's trade value like it is enough to move us up from 11 to 6 in this draft like some people have spouted off about.
That again ignores the rest of the team. How exactly do we play to the best of our ability and improve by playing an inferior PG? Do you see Tyus as the future? If you do then I see your point. I don't. And we really have no other way to get next year's PG right now other than plain luck. I mean if we add a good defensive rebounding 4 does Taj playing there last year somehow affect him? If we can't move up for Garland we aren't getting our PG of the future this offseason. So why does playing Teague hurt us? Again look at our record when he plays and doesn't. That is concrete evidence. And it was his worst season. He returns to form and we will be talking at the deadline not about what we can get but can we afford to lose him.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 pm
That again ignores the rest of the team. How exactly do we play to the best of our ability and improve by playing an inferior PG? Do you see Tyus as the future? If you do then I see your point. I don't. And we really have no other way to get next year's PG right now other than plain luck. I mean if we add a good defensive rebounding 4 does Taj playing there last year somehow affect him? If we can't move up for Garland we aren't getting our PG of the future this offseason. So why does playing Teague hurt us? Again look at our record when he plays and doesn't. That is concrete evidence. And it was his worst season. He returns to form and we will be talking at the deadline not about what we can get but can we afford to lose him.
Because for a player to get better, they have to play. And to get better with the Wolves, they need to play with the full rotation.

It is even more critical to develop a PG this season if we can't move up to get Garland (which is very, very unlikely).

lastly, I don't care about what our record in 2019-20 will be. It is very doubtful this team will compete for a playoff spot. They have to figure out a lot of things with a basically new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive schemes (if the schemes are the same, we are the same 37 win team less some solid veterans).

It is way better to bring in a young guy, or just a new guy, and let him play rather than Teague.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm Please don’t feed the mlhouse.
Has has an arguable point. I just don't agree with it.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Another WC "Classic"

Let's make sure we name call and trash each other over the opinions of making a absolute nothing move like getting Moritz and Bologna.

Classico!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:41 pm
Because for a player to get better, they have to play. And to get better with the Wolves, they need to play with the full rotation.

It is even more critical to develop a PG this season if we can't move up to get Garland (which is very, very unlikely).

lastly, I don't care about what our record in 2019-20 will be. It is very doubtful this team will compete for a playoff spot. They have to figure out a lot of things with a basically new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive schemes (if the schemes are the same, we are the same 37 win team less some solid veterans).

It is way better to bring in a young guy, or just a new guy, and let him play rather than Teague.
Well this is where our disagreement stems from. I think we are a playoff team with health and a good addition at the 4. Also I have no idea how Ryan will play Tyus but when Teague was healthy Even under Thibs Tyus was getting a lot of minutes with the starters. I think we can get our last look at Tyus to see if he sticks but there is always the chance he actually gets an offer. I do not think that any offer sheet he would sign would be matched.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm
What do you mean by “arguable point”?

Any point is arguable. Argue all you want.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm Another WC "Classic"

Let's make sure we name call and trash each other over the opinions of making a absolute nothing move like getting Moritz and Bologna.

Classico!
I like Bologna, Miracle whip and lettuce on english muffin bread. If you don't you are a racist and a communist. And you look like a monkey and you smell like one too.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:06 pm

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Jesus Christ. Nit picky motherfucker. Have a fucking take for once. What will never happen? Why won't it happen? Or just argue the argument yet again.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Well this is where our disagreement stems from. I think we are a playoff team with health and a good addition at the 4. Also I have no idea how Ryan will play Tyus but when Teague was healthy Even under Thibs Tyus was getting a lot of minutes with the starters. I think we can get our last look at Tyus to see if he sticks but there is always the chance he actually gets an offer. I do not think that any offer sheet he would sign would be matched.
How can you think this is a playoff team?!?

Nuggets
Portland
Lakers
OKC
Clippers
GS
Hou
Jazz

Are all better than the Wolves.

Then you have teams like..

Spurs
Mavs
NO

The Wolves will be in the lottery again if this is the team they bring back.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm

How can you think this is a playoff team?!?

Nuggets
Portland
Lakers
OKC
Clippers
GS
Hou
Jazz

Are all better than the Wolves.

Then you have teams like..

Spurs
Mavs
NO

The Wolves will be in the lottery again if this is the team they bring back.
Because any of those teams could come apart at the seams for any number of reasons. Because at our best and healthiest we can score with any of them. Better than most. Shore up the D is going to be the offseason priority as well as defensive rebounding. And how much better will that offense be with Ryan instead of Thibs?

Obviously us making it will depend first on health but odds say it will not be us with trade demands and injuries. How many of those teams have a better offensive weapon that Towns? How many of those teams have a D that can contain him? Put another defender next to him and he will be playing a lot with him and RoCo and Okogie and KBD and any other defender we can play. He buys in to that and we won't be fighting for 8th we will be fighting for home court.

I know you are down on us right now. I just disagree. Not so much in what we are but what we will be.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Jesus Christ. Nit picky motherfucker. Have a fucking take for once. What will never happen? Why won't it happen? Or just argue the argument yet again.
Reality is not nitpicky. Reality is reality. Reality is my take. Fantasy is mlhouse’s take, in this case. It won’t happen because stretching Teague compounds our salary woes. The goal is to rid ourselves of salary, not stretch it out. If you don’t know “what will never happen” go read the OP.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Reality is not nitpicky. Reality is reality. Reality is my take. Fantasy is mlhouse’s take, in this case. It won’t happen because stretching Teague compounds our salary woes. The goal is to rid ourselves of salary, not stretch it out. If you don’t know “what will never happen” go read the OP.
That's not what we are talking about. We are just discussing the value of Teague on the roster vs not.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
No, it really doesn't. Adding $6.3 million next year and the following really doesn't change the cap situation for the Wolves to a degree it would impact their free agent spending.

We still have the MLE and BE, probably the only way to add a free agent to begin with.

And, what you ignore is that it improves the salary cap situation right now to be able to use it for some value.

But, you know best.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

This is the typical mlhouse thread where he has thought up some weird take and then pretends to want to discuss it, except all he does is pose the question and then rips and insults anyone who doesn’t 100% agree with him. He even gets upset if you say you appreciate where he’s coming from or agree with it partly but not completely.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 pm
That's not what we are talking about. We are just discussing the value of Teague on the roster vs not.
:lol:

OP:
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm Lets say that the Wolves use the stretch provision and waive Jeff Teague.

Then go to the Lakers and say we will take both Moritz Wagner and Isaac Bonga plus two future 2nds and take their contracts off your hands?

Would you do it?

I probably would.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

You guys could over-complicate a bowl of cereal.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 pm

:lol:

OP:
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm Lets say that the Wolves use the stretch provision and waive Jeff Teague.

Then go to the Lakers and say we will take both Moritz Wagner and Isaac Bonga plus two future 2nds and take their contracts off your hands?

Would you do it?

I probably would.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

You guys could over-complicate a bowl of cereal.
Jesus dude what does it matter what it started as. It's not what I'm discussing with him. Why is that so hard for you?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm This is the typical mlhouse thread where he has thought up some weird take and then pretends to want to discuss it, except all he does is pose the question and then rips and insults anyone who doesn’t 100% agree with him. He even gets upset if you say you appreciate where he’s coming from or agree with it partly but not completely.
I dont really see much of the insults. I think part of discussion is one person raises points, another responds, and then there is counter-debate after that.

I think the critical things learned here is 1. Jeff Teague is way overvalued by most Rubes. and 2. that expecting this team to compete is a pipedream.

This team, to start the year will be WORSE, not better than last year's team. It is highly unlikely that Rose and Gibson are back. We start the year with Wiggins-Towns-Covington-Saric-Okogie-KDB- and of course, Jeff Teague. But even with that limited roster we are already over the salary cap at $110 million. We need to add at least 8 players to this roster. Our space to the luxury tax is about $22 million which means the average salary of a player we add needs to be under $2.75 million or we go over the luxury tax.

The Western Conference playoff threshold is 48 games. That is a +12 win for the Wolves. This is very difficult to do in such a transitional year. So, why pretend and instead act accordingly?
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 pm Why are we stretching Teague’s contract? No.
To create room to acquire young players and draft assets. Why would we not waive Jeff and stretch his contract?
You stretch a contract if it gets you the small amount of $ the one offseason you have $ available to get the next tier of player you couldn't have gotten. Doing this to Teague doesn't help us compete this year, and hurts us in future years when he would be completely off the books.
Spoiler:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm This is the typical mlhouse thread where he has thought up some weird take and then pretends to want to discuss it, except all he does is pose the question and then rips and insults anyone who doesn’t 100% agree with him. He even gets upset if you say you appreciate where he’s coming from or agree with it partly but not completely.
I dont really see much of the insults. I think part of discussion is one person raises points, another responds, and then there is counter-debate after that.

I think the critical things learned here is 1. Jeff Teague is way overvalued by most Rubes. and 2. that expecting this team to compete is a pipedream.

This team, to start the year will be WORSE, not better than last year's team. It is highly unlikely that Rose and Gibson are back. We start the year with Wiggins-Towns-Covington-Saric-Okogie-KDB- and of course, Jeff Teague. But even with that limited roster we are already over the salary cap at $110 million. We need to add at least 8 players to this roster. Our space to the luxury tax is about $22 million which means the average salary of a player we add needs to be under $2.75 million or we go over the luxury tax.

The Western Conference playoff threshold is 48 games. That is a +12 win for the Wolves. This is very difficult to do in such a transitional year. So, why pretend and instead act accordingly?
I am just the opposite. I think relative to Rube opinion he is undervalued. Most see him as an utter disappointment and a bad signing. Hard to fully dispute that but I just see him as not so much a victim of circumstance but a guy who didn't really have the best chance to succeed at first due to a lot of off the ball play with Butler and then injuries. Doesn't excuse the passive play but it is a contract year and as you have said he used to be a really good player.

I just don't see why you would want some limited space this year and less next year. Not to mention wasting a year of TEAM development when we don't have and won't have his replacement on the roster this year. Worst case is he is the same as last year. You get your Tyus minutes to see who he is, and we still have a small chance to move his expiring to trade for a decent piece or two off a team that is shedding. Best case he balls out and we either are much better than people think and in the playoffs or we flip him at the deadline to a playoff team for an asset. Worse case in your scenario is we create enouogh space this year to spend while losing the MLE (even) and then his 5 or whatever is on our cap for years.