Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

AD to the Lakers

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: AD to the Lakers

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:04 pm

What? You mean the other way around? You wouldn't give up those 4 picks for Kuzma?

I guess I don't have enough info on those picks. Can you tell me what year's and what they entail
I misread what you wrote, but I would not give up the #4 overall pick for Kuzma if I were the Pelicans.
I wouldn't give up #4 either. I'm talking the future picks they are receiving.
For New Orleans the whole deal depends upon the protections on those future firsts. They need to get a top 10 pick with one of them somewhere, but I doubt that happens.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Dan33185 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 pm
j2j wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Didn't Kemba just say yesterday that he'd give Charlotte a discount to stay?
Not sure j2j. Would be weird to take a discount to stay in Charlotte. I’d make them give me everything. But maybe he enjoys it there. I won’t judge that. Lebron and AD will no doubt recruit him hard.
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/06/13/ ... s-supermax
At his basketball camp in Charlotte today, the Hornets star said he'd be open to taking less than the supermax this summer. He told reporters at the camp, which was held at Ardrey Kell High School in south Charlotte, that his willingness to do so was to help the Hornets build a better team around him going forward.
"Yeah, why not? Yeah I would be. I would take less, yeah," Walker said when asked if he'd take less than the supermax to help the Hornets build around him.
That’s interesting but they have only the mid level exemption even if Walker took less than the supermax. They have a ton of bad contracts. But it seems like Charlotte is still in it going by that quote.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It's a good deal for the Lakers. They get a really good player for a bunch of parts.

It's an okay deal for the Pelicans. They weren't getting equal value back. I like Ingram more than most, but he's only "pretty good" at best. the #4 could be a piece. Ball sucks. Hart is nothing. They will look okay if this doesn't work that well for LA and the picks become halfway decent (mid-teens or so).

And that could happen. LeBron is starting to wear down. He missed significant time for the first time last year. He is only 34, but is already 17th all time in minutes played. That could go up to 8th or so this year. Add in his numerous deep playoff runs and there is a lot of tread worn off that tire. I know he's a freak and takes great care of himself, but father time is undefeated. It's clear that LeBron's best days are behind him and he's still elite, but will be gradually going downhill, in terms of performance and availability, as his career progresses.

Davis is a pretty good fit with LeBron, but he misses about 15 games a year too. If he can get his 3pt shooting to improve, they'll be lethal together. Otherwise, I could see Davis getting in LeBron's way a little. They're both great players and I'm sure they'll figure it out, but I could see some growing pains.

Walker is good too, but he's kind of a chucker. If he can tone that down and take the smart shots that LeBron creates for him, it'll work great. But he's been ball-dominant in his career and he'll have to adjust to letting LeBron be the man and playing off the ball. That stressed Lebron and Kyrie's relationship, though they did win a title together despite it.

It could work, if LeBron fends off Father Time for another year, they stay healthy, and the manage to fit their games together. But remember, even the Super-Team in Miami (which LeBron was in his prime for) took a year to win a title. And that team was better than this team and was in a weaker conference.

It could also not work, if age takes it's toll and there are some growing pains meshing them together. If it takes a year or two to click fully, LeBron's play might fall off to the point where they're just a pretty good team and outside contender and not a powerhouse like the names themselves would suggest on paper.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
j2j

Post by j2j »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 pm
ESPN sources say Kemba Walker is their 1st target.
Not sure j2j. Would be weird to take a discount to stay in Charlotte. I’d make them give me everything. But maybe he enjoys it there. I won’t judge that. Lebron and AD will no doubt recruit him hard.
Here's the quote, though now it's not all that convincing hearing it as opposed to reading it.

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Here's the quote, though now it's not all that convincing hearing it as opposed to reading it.

No doubt Charlotte is still a serious contender for his services after listening to that. Free agency will be interesting.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 pm
j2j wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 pm

No doubt Charlotte is still a serious contender for his services after listening to that. Free agency will be interesting.
Kemba is one of the few good men left in this league. A throwback and not some sally like most of these guy's nowadays.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Damn. Well, maybe Barrett slides to 4 and Zion and RJ get to reunite?
Let's get Tropical
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:20 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:15 pm Potentially preposterous statement: AD shouldn't be considered a top 5 player.

I hate when people say "if healthy". That's like saying KAT would is a top 5 player if you don't consider defense.

Even health aside, ball handlers are always more important. Lebron, Giannis, KD, Kawhi, Steph, and Harden all easily better.

With that said, Lakers should blow by everyone next year
You think it's preposterous to say Anthony Davis is a top 5 player? Ok.
Yes I do in today's NBA. Being an elite playmaker is just so much more important than a big man.

Especially when you're considering health he isn't top 5. In natural ability? Maybe. From actual impact on the floor I completely disagree. Hell, Jokic carried his team this year more than AD ever has.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Just not enough, IMO. D- for David.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 pm Damn. Well, maybe Barrett slides to 4 and Zion and RJ get to reunite?
Or the Pels have more than enough ammo to move up a spot to #3 if Barrett is a target.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

The Pelicans received swap rights in 2023 and 2025. And the 1st in 2024 is unprotected. Makes me feel a little better about the deal from New Orleans view.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 pm Just not enough, IMO. D- for David.
3 picks and two pick swaps with Ingram, Ball, and Hart is really good value. Wouldn't shock me if it goes Brooklyn-Boston style towards the end
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oh my! Irish wanted the house. :shock:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

OliverMiller wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 pm
3 picks and two pick swaps with Ingram, Ball, and Hart is really good value. Wouldn't shock me if it goes Brooklyn-Boston style towards the end
Absolutely. LeBrons already 35 what type of bag of bones is he going to be com 2024? All the dysfunction with the Lakers front office this year. Pels did the right thing. Build around Zion and other young pieces and try to be the next bully on the block!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bombers3shooter wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 pm
Absolutely. LeBrons already 35 what type of bag of bones is he going to be com 2024? All the dysfunction with the Lakers front office this year. Pels did the right thing. Build around Zion and other young pieces and try to be the next bully on the block!
True, but I am sure that the Pelicans would much rather build aroud Williamson AND FN ANTHONY DAVIS. I know I would.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 pm

True, but I am sure that the Pelicans would much rather build aroud Williamson AND FN ANTHONY DAVIS. I know I would.
AD didn't want to stay there Zion or not. That's for the rubes.

Zion may or might not be worth the hype. It's going to take awhile to find out. AD is ready to go with the King and win

Many not like it. But even if the King falls off, you are the face of one of the biggest franchises in sports. They still might end up with another young stud.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Guy's with character and the tenacity to win play with The King.

You can save all your shit comments. These new punks couldn't of handled playing with Jordan either.

Can't wait to watch Brooklyn sign the loser team of Kyrie and Butler lol.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Zion may or might not be worth the hype. It's going to take awhile to find out. AD is ready to go with the King and win

Many not like it. But even if the King falls off, you are the face of one of the biggest franchises in sports. They still might end up with another young stud.
That is my point. The Pelicans would rather build around a combo of Davis-Zion-Holliday than any possible outcome of the Davis trade.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 pm

That is my point. The Pelicans would rather build around a combo of Davis-Zion-Holliday than any possible outcome of the Davis trade.
Brah, there is no building with AD. He is out. It doesn't matter. They lose him when the contract is up anyway.

This will be our same fate two year's from now when Towns decides he wants out. Only we will be too stupid to even get a deal like this.

Oh and by the way... If Zion pans out, he will be demanding a trade from NO to join some buddies too.

Do you watch the NEW NBA?

Edit: Oops I forgot how NBA contracts work. Zion will first take his max deal from NO because they have the most money to pay him. He will play out the couple years of mediocrity and either demand to join his friends or a big market.

#NBA
Last edited by RubeTube on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

The Pelicans didn't even get a decent player in the deal. None of those players do anything for me and they sure as hell didn't do anything for the Lakers at all yet either. It takes a lot to get screwed over by the freaking Lakers but David Griffin managed to do it.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Brah, there is no building with AD. He is out. It doesn't matter. They lose him when the contract is up anyway.

This will be our same fate two year's from now when Towns decides he wants out. Only we will be too stupid to even get a deal like this.

Oh and by the way... If Zion pans out, he will be demanding a trade from NO to join some buddies too.

Edit: Oops I forgot how NBA contracts work. Zion will first take his max deal from NO because they have the most money to pay him. He will play out the couple years of mediocrity and either demand to join his friends or a big market.

#NBA
Dude, you are missing the point.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:17 am

#NBA
Please explain what I am missing.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:18 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:17 am

#NBA
Please explain what I am missing.
That the Pelicans would much prefer to build around Zion and Davis, not these players.

But, I will let the immortal words of the Rolling Stones make the point: You can't always get what you want.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

I hope to God they sign Jimmy. Please implode that team.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

sh1mmyya wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:54 am I hope to God they sign Jimmy. Please implode that team.
:lol:

Imagine Butler going at AD and Lebron, saying he is the hardest worker on the side.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Ingram, Zion, RJ, just need to hire coach K.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Three terrible players, one very good draft pick and 2 other probably shit draft picks. Nice work pelicans.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

AD was leaving. the pels got what they could. i think everyone is downselling the new NO backcourt. is lonzo terrible on offense? no. he's pretty bad at shooting, but he's a very good distributor who can find great looks for his teammates. and he's much better shooting twos and finishing at the rim than, for example, rubio - (and how that inability to finish has negatively impacted rubio's overall effectiveness). what he also is is a pretty damn good defender. add that to jrue's terrific skills on that end, and the pels could have one of the strongest defensive backcourts in the league. absolutely.

plus jrue's a 20+ ppg scorer - etwaun moore's a very good floor spacer (43% from three last year) - plus add the generational talent of zion to the mix plus whatever they do with the 4th pick. i don't think things are as bleak as everyone's been making it out for NO.

and davis, plus his penchant for getting injured every 15 games, was leaving anyway. in 7 years in the league, davis has missed nearly a season and a half due to injury - and that number is made up of bits and pieces from every year, not skewed by one year where he was out for an entire season. i don't see that tendency magically healing itself out in LA. he constantly gets nicked.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

If the Lakers had half a brain they would sign DMC.

That would be taking bully ball to a whole nother level. No team could defend lebron/kuzma/ad/boogie in the post without adding a big into their starting line-up. Plus they can all space the floor.

But of course, they're stupid so they're trying to sign Kemba who would be reduced to a glorified role player unless he wants to hog the ball and get blamed for taking away shots from bron and ad.

Stupid.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
bri

Post by bri »

Pelicans made out well especially with how they have swaps and unprotected picks. Those swaps down the line could be quite valuable