Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

AD to the Lakers

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Re: AD to the Lakers

Post by t_wrex »

I hope AD realizes that Bron is a **** and gets the fuck out of LA Dwight Howard style.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Dan33185 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm Both teams did well in this trade, obviously a lot depends on those picks and who they get, but Ingram is a pretty good player, and they can start the rebuild.
I agree, it was a good trade for both teams. The Pelicans kinda had a gun to their heads and sold AD to the highest bidder. They weren't going to get a superstar for a superstar, but they got some good young talent to build with Zion. And if they can hit big on just one of the draft picks it is a great trade for them. If the Lakers win a title with AD its a great trade for them.
witljon

Post by witljon »

t_wrex wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am I hope AD realizes that Bron is a **** and gets the fuck out of LA Dwight Howard style.
He's been a pretty successful ****.
witljon

Post by witljon »

sh1mmyya wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:54 am I hope to God they sign Jimmy. Please implode that team.
Most rumors have him with the Sixers or Nets.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lakers with only five guys on the roster and only 23 million dollars left in cap space. LoLololo

They will have to fill with junk around a 35 year old broken-down LeBron James.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

The best part will be when the Pelicans win more games than the Lakers.
witljon

Post by witljon »

D_H wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm Lakers with only five guys on the roster and only 23 million dollars left in cap space. LoLololo

They will have to fill with junk around a 35 year old broken-down LeBron James.
Sometimes it might be smart to unload players on their rookie contracts before they become eligible for new/big contracts. (maybe we shoulda did that with Wiggins)
I don't know what the Lakers plans are for adding talent to the LeBron-Brow duel, but they aint waiting for the future.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

I heard some guy on ESPN say how the Pelicans are getting 2 potential All-Star players (Ball & Ingram). WTF
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't know about ball - but i think people are closing the book on ingram far too early. i've seen him in some games where the skill level is off the charts. if he puts it together and gets a little stronger - all clear possibilities for a 21 year old, i think he could be something special.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm I heard some guy on ESPN say how the Pelicans are getting 2 potential All-Star players (Ball & Ingram). WTF
I would take both these guy's over anything the Wolves have not named Towns.

There is at least potential for a breakout from these two.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm I heard some guy on ESPN say how the Pelicans are getting 2 potential All-Star players (Ball & Ingram). WTF
Ingram will be a multiple time all star in his career, no question. Ball, if he can get his shooting figured out could definitely be all star caliber.
T_J

Post by T_J »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 pm i don't know about ball - but i think people are closing the book on ingram far too early. i've seen him in some games where the skill level is off the charts. if he puts it together and gets a little stronger - all clear possibilities for a 21 year old, i think he could be something special.
The bigger concern is his blood clot issue. Isn't that what ended Bosh's career?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Potential for what? Ball is essentially a Rubio who can't even shoot by Rubio standards.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Potential for what? Ball is essentially a Rubio who can't even shoot by Rubio standards.
Not really

https://herosports.com/nba/player-compa ... icky-rubio
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Not really

https://herosports.com/nba/player-compa ... icky-rubio
Nonsense. Ball's 43.7% FT% is pretty much all the proof you need. Using Lonzo's 119 total free throw attempts, there are only 7 players in history who have a worse career FT%.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... r_by_asc=Y

Then we can compare FG% by distance.

Rubio:

0-3: 50%
3-10: 30.4%
10-16: 35.8%
16-3pt: 39.4%
3P: 32.2%
FT%: 83.8%

Ball:

0-3: 54.2%
3-10: 28.1%
10-16: 33.3%
16-3P: 34.5%
3P: 31.5%
FT%: 43.7%
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

parsing parsing. again. read the stats. lonzo's a really crappy FT shooter. but he's been EXACTLY the same as rubio from 3 in his career - and his career % from 2 is 4 pts higher than rubio's. that makes rubio a better FT shooter - and THAT's IT! rubio's averaged 3.7 trips to the line for his career - ball a measly 1.2. so HEY RUBIO IS A MUCH BETTER SHOOTER than lonzo to the tune of MAYBE 2 pts per game from the line - which lonzo then makes up for in the better % from 2. i am not anywhere proposing the concept that lonzo ball is a great threat with his shot - but to say that ricky rubio is a "much better shooter" than lonzo ball is just utter bullshit.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Here is the actual deal:

Anthony Davis, PF
Traded to Los Angeles (LAL) from New Orleans (NOP) with 2023 1st round pick [right to swap (can be deferred to 2025)] for Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, TBD two first round picks, 2021 1st round pick [Top 8 protected, unprotected in 2022] , 2024 1st round pick [unprotected] and 2019 1st round pick (#4)

The 2021 pick is top 8 protected but unprotected in 2022. The 2024 pick is unprotected.

If the Lakers are "restored" and a great team, then this deal sucks for New Orleans. They need to bank on LeBron being gone by 2022 and Davis not being able to be the cornerstone of a James-less team.

What swings the deal vastly in the Lakers favor, though, is the potential 2023 pick swap. I can't believe that the Pelicans included that in the tradd particularly since that gives the Lakers two shots at getting a top pick from New Orleans in a swap by allowing them to defer the swap until 2025. I also cannot believe, that if this is information is complete, that the Pelicans did not put protections on the swap. Knowing the Lakers luck, LeBron will retire in 2022 and then in the 2023 draft the Pelicans will get the top pick in a stacked draft.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I think it was huge for the Lakers to not have to part with Kyle Kuzma.
I think he better than Ingram or Ball and could potentially be the third star for the Lakers.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Can't believe the Pelicans didnt get or demand Kuzma. Lakers were also probably elated to get rid of Lonzo.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Agreed. Dumping Ball and not Kuzma is a huge win for the Lakers.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

The key for New Orleans is the picks and swap. The players they received in the deal do nothing for me personally. Lonzo can’t shoot. Like at all. We’ve seen that movie. Hart is a guy, a rotation player. Ingram takes two steps forward and one step back constantly in his career. Plus, the blood clot issue is legitimately serious.
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm Here is the actual deal:

Anthony Davis, PF
Traded to Los Angeles (LAL) from New Orleans (NOP) with 2023 1st round pick [right to swap (can be deferred to 2025)] for Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, TBD two first round picks, 2021 1st round pick [Top 8 protected, unprotected in 2022] , 2024 1st round pick [unprotected] and 2019 1st round pick (#4)

The 2021 pick is top 8 protected but unprotected in 2022. The 2024 pick is unprotected.

If the Lakers are "restored" and a great team, then this deal sucks for New Orleans. They need to bank on LeBron being gone by 2022 and Davis not being able to be the cornerstone of a James-less team.

What swings the deal vastly in the Lakers favor, though, is the potential 2023 pick swap. I can't believe that the Pelicans included that in the tradd particularly since that gives the Lakers two shots at getting a top pick from New Orleans in a swap by allowing them to defer the swap until 2025. I also cannot believe, that if this is information is complete, that the Pelicans did not put protections on the swap. Knowing the Lakers luck, LeBron will retire in 2022 and then in the 2023 draft the Pelicans will get the top pick in a stacked draft.
I assume the pick swap is up to the pelicans to decide.not just automatically swap.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Is Julius back with NOP next year? I would love to see NOP succeed with what the Lakers sold for LeBron.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm Can't believe the Pelicans didnt get or demand Kuzma. Lakers were also probably elated to get rid of Lonzo.
Said the same thing. Doesn't make any sense. I would of demanded Kuzma. LA wasn't going to stop a deal over that.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

swenjj wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:22 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm Here is the actual deal:

Anthony Davis, PF

I assume the pick swap is up to the pelicans to decide.not just automatically swap.
The way the deal is listed in Spotrac, it is the Lakers option. But I have not seen an official version of the deal.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm Can't believe the Pelicans didnt get or demand Kuzma. Lakers were also probably elated to get rid of Lonzo.
Said the same thing. Doesn't make any sense. I would of demanded Kuzma. LA wasn't going to stop a deal over that.
I think the Lakers would stop the deal over that.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Me too. I think thats what held up the deal.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Me too. I think thats what held up the deal.
Although there were multiple teams interested in Davis, I don't think New Orleans had much leverage. They were going to get a deal on face that was 50% of AD's value. That is what Boston was offering. That is what they got from LAL. And, if we could ever find out the real story, my guess we will find that the Laker's deal had much more "upside" value than anything else offered because they were willing to risk unprotected future firsts way downstream to when James is probably done playing.

The Celtics deal was probably a choice of Tatum or Brown, a 2019 first or maybe both, the Memphis 2020 first (which is unprotected in 2021) and maybe a 2023 lottery protected first from Boston.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Does this trade help the chances of Kawhi signing with the Lakers?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

witljon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 pm Does this trade help the chances of Kawhi signing with the Lakers?
Not really....They only have a little over 20 million an have like 4-5 guys under contract. They are going to need to size discount guys. They might be able to get a decent mid level guy, but the total caps they have I don't even think can pay one year salary of Kawhi.....and they'd still be missing an entire bench.

The Lakers are in panic mode because adding James last year didn't net PG13 like they thought. LBJ finally shows he's no longer super human and misses his first real chunk of games in a year....and atlas, he's now a year older. AD has missed plenty of time in his young career. They are going all in completely based of the health of two guys that have finally shown they can get hurt and a guy whose shown to be pretty consistent at it. 24 million can bring in a star, but they literally have nothing by Kuzma as any sort of support. Kemba would be a nice add for them, but he's already said his home team gets first dibs, even willing to take a discount. Further, every other role player they'd need would need to be shooters....and the guys who are money from outside aren't super cheap. Mirotic, Reddick.....I just don't think the Lakers have the cash to make this right, and I could not possibly bet on both James or AD not missing substantial time.

Meanwhile, NO has the 1st pick, the 4th pick, two recent lotto picks, two guaranteed future 1st rounder....and a very appealing Holiday trade chip if they choose to go even younger. They could have the youngest, most talented....cheapest payroll in the league next season.