Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 19' Froob Annual NBA Draft**Complete

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: ***Official 19' Froob Annual NBA Draft**Complete

Post by RubeTube »

My team PWNZ
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:07 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:39 am
mlhouse wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Really? I think you had bad draft position, but your team sucks.
Any teams other than your own any good? :lol:
I think that there are a few groupings of teams, some a little better than others. A couple of middling groupings. And a grouping of some bad teams.

Most teams, including my own, have weaknesses. I like the way I put together my team around James Harden but I have zero clue how a video game will simulate results or how future performance will be. I have 2 2019 lottery picks and 2 2018 lottery picks as backups so how are they going to be rated?
Any team that didn’t have a top 8 pick was at a significant disadvantage. Elite players win games. Congrats to you for having a high pick. My team is middling, but my best player is Kyrie Irving. You’re not winning anything with Kyrie as your best player.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm

I think that there are a few groupings of teams, some a little better than others. A couple of middling groupings. And a grouping of some bad teams.

Most teams, including my own, have weaknesses. I like the way I put together my team around James Harden but I have zero clue how a video game will simulate results or how future performance will be. I have 2 2019 lottery picks and 2 2018 lottery picks as backups so how are they going to be rated?
Any team that didn’t have a top 8 pick was at a significant disadvantage. Elite players win games. Congrats to you for having a high pick. My team is middling, but my best player is Kyrie Irving. You’re not winning anything with Kyrie as your best player.
I agree that draft position gives some teams more advantage and the advantage might be insurmountable.

But, I think that teams like yours should have gone a different route with the draft. I am not going to tell you what that route was though. There might be other seasons and I might have the 16th pick.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I don't agree. Well I do to a extent. I say if you get a top 5 pick, you have a advantage. Kawhi, Freak, Bron, Harden, Curry

After that it's anybody's. Hell, someone took Carl #7. You could argue that better players when 5 picks after that.

The first group is a tough one to beat though. That's why Teh Tube traded up.

Many Froobs were looking to trade back. You should have gotten a package together, Kev.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm

I don't agree. Well I do to a extent. I say if you get a top 5 pick, you have a advantage. Kawhi, Freak, Bron, Harden, Curry

After that it's anybody's. Hell, someone took Carl #7. You could argue that better players when 5 picks after that.

Many Froobs were looking to trade back. You should have gotten a package together, Kev.
I didn’t care enough to make fake trades in a for fun draft. That’s not a slight either. I was more concerned making my pick on time to keep it moving. I think your team is solid tube. Well done.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:40 pm

I didn’t care enough to make fake trades in a for fun draft. That’s not a slight either. I was more concerned making my pick on time to keep it moving. I think your team is solid tube. Well done.
I don't like people holding up the draft either. I always make sure to have my dealings done before my pick comes up.

:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:09 pmMy team PWNZ
I love your 1-3. But you probably have the worst big rotation
j2j

Post by j2j »

I liked having back to back picks, less time waiting on you assholes. ;-)
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm kind of interested in how you guys put your teams together. mine was simple - a little bit of work up front, but then it made for quicker picks when it came to my turn. i just went thru the entire list of nba players - including the upcoming rookies - and wrote down anyone's name who i considered worth having. split the headings into five groups - bigs, tweens, wings, combos and points. i think my list came to around 160 guys. it was only around the 8th thru 10th pick that i went back to the original nba listing of all players to see if i neglected someone earlier.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

RubAndTug has like 2.5 players that I like on his roster based on fit. 6th seed and a first round 7 game exit. If LeBitch doesnt break his hyman.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 pm

I don't like people holding up the draft either. I always make sure to have my dealings done before my pick comes up.

I’ll definitely do trades in our fantasy football league that I won last year. :lol: jk Hopefully we get enough guys paid early.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

j2j wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:52 pm RubAndTug has like 2.5 players that I like on his roster based on fit. 6th seed and a first round 7 game exit. If LeBitch doesnt break his hyman.
Your team was extremely well built for picking 20th. But much like mine it’s probably a struggle to finish at the top because our best players are really good, not elite. Oh well just for fun. Making the case for your roster construction is probably the best part.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:53 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 pm

I’ll definitely do trades in our fantasy football league that I won last year. :lol: jk Hopefully we get enough guys paid early.
I hope.

I should have traded you Bell for Connor.

Worst mistake I made was week 2. Witljon offered me Hunt and McCaffrey for Bell and Howard and I turned it down. Lol
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm i'm kind of interested in how you guys put your teams together. mine was simple - a little bit of work up front, but then it made for quicker picks when it came to my turn. i just went thru the entire list of nba players - including the upcoming rookies - and wrote down anyone's name who i considered worth having. split the headings into five groups - bigs, tweens, wings, combos and points. i think my list came to around 160 guys. it was only around the 8th thru 10th pick that i went back to the original nba listing of all players to see if i neglected someone earlier.
I legit have a mathematical formula that I start with, and then delete guys off the list who I definitely don't want. Add in the rookies, and then highlight guys I really want to target and think will breakout this year. Makes it easier to identify guys who are slipping and it gives me at least a range of guys for each selection, then I dive deeper for fit based on who I've already selected.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm i'm kind of interested in how you guys put your teams together. mine was simple - a little bit of work up front, but then it made for quicker picks when it came to my turn. i just went thru the entire list of nba players - including the upcoming rookies - and wrote down anyone's name who i considered worth having. split the headings into five groups - bigs, tweens, wings, combos and points. i think my list came to around 160 guys. it was only around the 8th thru 10th pick that i went back to the original nba listing of all players to see if i neglected someone earlier.
I had a premium pick at #4 and wanted James Harden the most because I believe of the elite players in the NBA he is the easiest player to build a NBA team around. You just need one other player that can handle the ball and shoot a bit, two outside shooters, and a 5th player that can be good at any of a variety of basketball skills.

Then my strategy evolved a bit as some of the players I hoped would get to me at later picks were selected. Instead, I adjusted and went with a very young bench and committed to that. SO, I added Barrett, Knox, Carter, and Reddish. I really like that collection of young players and it would be virtually impossible in reality to get them when you have a core group of Harden-Gallinari-Capela already.
Style

Post by Style »

I just wanted to build a team around KAT taking into consideration his real life strengths and weaknesses. He was actually more difficult to build around than I imagined.

Was he a “reach” in this make believe draft thing that will be based on some video game rating thing? Hell yeah.

Would I pick him again where I did? Hell yeah.

Next year I’ll build my team around rising superstar Jarrett Culver!!

Good draft as always fellas.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Style wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:10 pm I just wanted to build a team around KAT taking into consideration his real life strengths and weaknesses. He was actually more difficult to build around than I imagined.

Was he a “reach” in this make believe draft thing that will be based on some video game rating thing? Hell yeah.

Yeah I think everyone just did their own thing. Some people took injured players. Some people took rookies. I avoided both because in real life neither will likely impact a team positively.
Style

Post by Style »

OliverMiller wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:16 pm
Style wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:10 pm I just wanted to build a team around KAT taking into consideration his real life strengths and weaknesses. He was actually more difficult to build around than I imagined.

Yeah I think everyone just did their own thing. Some people took injured players. Some people took rookies. I avoided both because in real life neither will likely impact a team positively.
Yup. The thread “Who the hell fits with KAT?” really came to life for me in this draft. He’s a unique player, but pretty difficult to pair with another big.

It’s also somewhat difficult assembling perimeter players that fit with him. If they at all lack on defense, it likely means layup line for the other team.

Sorta makes me more appreciative of Okogie, RoCo, and hopefully Culver around KAT with their above average perimeter defense.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Style wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Yup. The thread “Who the hell fits with KAT?” really came to life for me in this draft. He’s a unique player, but pretty difficult to pair with another big.

It’s also somewhat difficult assembling perimeter players that fit with him. If they at all lack on defense, it likely means layup line for the other team.

Sorta makes me more appreciative of Okogie, RoCo, and hopefully Culver around KAT with their above average perimeter defense.
Any shooting big pairs with KAT. The advantage to having Karl Towns over a guy like Clint Capela is that he gives the PnR so many more options. If you put KAT with Harden, and 3 perimeter shooters to space the floor you would have an insane offense because KAT forces the defenders on the PnR to have impossible choices. If the defender doesn't come over the screen, KAT pops out for a wide open 3. If he overplays KAT over the screen, Harden cruises to the rim.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

okay. i have to bite a little here on mlhouse's squad. he's assembled a nice harden based team - but it feels like a team that ABSOLUTELY depends on james harden playing 48 minutes per game. which isn't possible. when he's out with an owie, or gets three fouls in the first half, or simply needs a break - who's running the show? the rest of his team is all "accessories to harden".
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:26 pm okay. i have to bite a little here on mlhouse's squad. he's assembled a nice harden based team - but it feels like a team that ABSOLUTELY depends on james harden playing 48 minutes per game. which isn't possible. when he's out with an owie, or gets three fouls in the first half, or simply needs a break - who's running the show? the rest of his team is all "accessories to harden".
That depends. I have the 2019 3rd overall pick that I would expect to be competitive for a starting spot somewhere in the future (I think there is a solid chance RJ Barrett has the best rookie season next year). If Harden was injured then I would swap Barrett into the lineup and run the offense through RJ or Gallinari.

I like my team depth with all of its young talent. Two lottery picks from 2018 in Wendell Carter and Kevin Knox. Two lottery picks from 2019 in Barrett and Cam Reddish.

The biggest weakness of this team is defense. We have Capela to hammer the boards and be a decent defensive anchor, but the main goal is to just outscore our opponents. Harden will score 36 points a game and Gallinari will get 20. Green and Bertans will bomb from the outside, and Clint will get his 6 baskets on 10 attempts from lobs from Harden and offensive boards.

In the end, I think this team is better than any version of the Houston Rockets from the past.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

Anybody need a scorer? Or a top 15 center?

I need 3 and D. Let's make a trade.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Style

Post by Style »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Any shooting big pairs with KAT. The advantage to having Karl Towns over a guy like Clint Capela is that he gives the PnR so many more options. If you put KAT with Harden, and 3 perimeter shooters to space the floor you would have an insane offense because KAT forces the defenders on the PnR to have impossible choices. If the defender doesn't come over the screen, KAT pops out for a wide open 3. If he overplays KAT over the screen, Harden cruises to the rim.
KAT is a unicorn offensively, no doubt. But to say any shooting big pairs with him is a bit of a reach. Guys like Saric, Belly, and Tolliver were fine offensively, it's the defensive side of the ball that becomes the issue with a typical '4' shooter. Not many guys have the ability to both stretch the floor and be an above average defender/rebounder that can cover for KATs defensive deficiencies. Finding that type of guy might honestly be the key to the whole thing for the Wolves going forward. IMO we need to find Taj Gibson with a jumper.

The next issue that comes into play is perimeter defense. You mention Harden so I'll use him as an example. He's a clear top 5 player in the league. However, pairing KAT and Harden would be the start of an atrocious defensive team. Putting KAT with Harden and then trying to find three shooters that also defend at a high level is another tall task. Those players would need to defend at a level that is far above average to cover for 40% of KAT/Harden. So yeah, fun offensively, but also fun for the opponents offense.

So that's my point in all of this. It's easy to find players that offensively fit with KAT, but building a team that can be solid defensively is a rather tall task. KAT will need to show improvement on that side of the ball this year or I'm afraid the overall ceiling of any team he's on is going to be capped. I'm hopeful that some (let's hope most) of KATs defensive problems were system related and not so much talent related. He seemed to be solid defensively when he played with KG.
bri

Post by bri »

Best fit would be prime ibaka type or the unattainable jaren Jackson
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bri wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am Best fit would be prime ibaka type or the unattainable jaren Jackson
jaren jackson has a ways to go. he does some things well on D and others REALLY not so well. agree with the prime ibaka comment. jamychal green checks some of the boxes too.
Style

Post by Style »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 pm
bri wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am Best fit would be prime ibaka type or the unattainable jaren Jackson
jaren jackson has a ways to go. he does some things well on D and others REALLY not so well. agree with the prime ibaka comment. jamychal green checks some of the boxes too.
Yup, Draymond Green, LMA, Horford, etc. It's not impossible to fit a big next to KAT, but it's really not all that easy to attain those types of versatile bigs.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Style wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 am
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:50 pm

KAT is a unicorn offensively, no doubt. But to say any shooting big pairs with him is a bit of a reach. Guys like Saric, Belly, and Tolliver were fine offensively, it's the defensive side of the ball that becomes the issue with a typical '4' shooter. Not many guys have the ability to both stretch the floor and be an above average defender/rebounder that can cover for KATs defensive deficiencies. Finding that type of guy might honestly be the key to the whole thing for the Wolves going forward. IMO we need to find Taj Gibson with a jumper.

The next issue that comes into play is perimeter defense. You mention Harden so I'll use him as an example. He's a clear top 5 player in the league. However, pairing KAT and Harden would be the start of an atrocious defensive team. Putting KAT with Harden and then trying to find three shooters that also defend at a high level is another tall task. Those players would need to defend at a level that is far above average to cover for 40% of KAT/Harden. So yeah, fun offensively, but also fun for the opponents offense.

So that's my point in all of this. It's easy to find players that offensively fit with KAT, but building a team that can be solid defensively is a rather tall task. KAT will need to show improvement on that side of the ball this year or I'm afraid the overall ceiling of any team he's on is going to be capped. I'm hopeful that some (let's hope most) of KATs defensive problems were system related and not so much talent related. He seemed to be solid defensively when he played with KG.
While the WOlves may have paired KAT with guys like Saric and Bjelica, they never had an offense designed around such players and player combinations. Instead, they paired KAT for the most part with Dieng or GIbson, two traditional PF type players with limited shooting range. This has not worked.

The fact is, in the modern NBA value is heavily weighted to offense and even more so to players that can shoot for every position. The second fact is that in the NBA team defense is more valuable than individual defense, and this is perhaps the biggest defensive weakness for hte Wolves.

When the Wolves hired Thibs I think everyone thought we were getting that NBA defensive genius that was his reputation. But, in the end, either Thibs could not teach the defensive scheme to his players, the players simply could not learn the scheme, or a combination of both. I think it was more of the former because even veteran players could not seem to pick up the schemes and the team always seemed to be a half step out of position and a half sync out of phase, deadly combinations for a NBA defense. I would agree that Towns was one of the chief problems and I would also agree that the WOlves did not have that defensive stopper to cover up any mistakes.

Thibodeau should have simplified the defense but he was too stubborn to do so, and although I think Wiggins and Towns should be at least average NBA defenders, Wiggins has the potential to be elite, they are far from that in the Wolves scheme. The Wolves ahve players that should be good defenders starting with Covington and Okogie, with Wiggins, Culver, and Towns projecting to be good NBA defenders.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

was someone going to do something with this?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:11 pm was someone going to do something with this?
That's how this always goes. After the draft nothing happens with this stuff. Multiple times we wait til the end of the season to do anything with this. I already stopped caring about my team, I couldn't give less of a fuck about it 7-8 months from now. Somebody should just run the simulation now.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Yeah no kidding. I wont put so much into it next time.