Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Teauge's Trade Value

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Teauge's Trade Value

Post by SO_MONEY »

There is something I want to touch on because there is a bunch of capspace this FA period, thoes who think the cost of moving Teauge will be high may be mistaken. A player getting 19mil per on a long-term deal in FA may not be equal to Teauge who is startable and also expires and allows a team to not overpay in a year that everyone has money to burn. I think people will be suprised, some team that wants to compete or wants competency at the point will strikeout and Teauge will be there without the long-term commitment. There is reason for optimism.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qrocks

Re: Teauge's Trade Value

Post by qrocks »

let's hope!!!!!
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I mean look no further than the Crabbe trade. Crabbe and two non lottery firsts for Prince and a 2nd.

Prince has near a 1st round pick value and Teague is better than crabbe.

I think 2 2nds would do it.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I don't think you can come up with a single team that you could make such a claim even as a hypothetical.

Lots of factors are in play.

1. There exists a competitive team that wants a veteran PG.
2. They have matching contracts to send back in the trade that the Wolves will accept.
3. There is some asset value in the deal to Minnesota.

To make it even plausible there should be several potential prospects. But I doubt you can even name one hypothetical.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 pm I mean look no further than the Crabbe trade. Crabbe and two non lottery firsts for Prince and a 2nd.

Probably less. It may cost a 2nd to salary dump him (maybe not), but his value is high enough in this market we could possibly take back a less productive expiring and get an asset just for that. And some people want to waive him...comical.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Doogie said last Spring, no one wanted him for any price because of the injury and player option.

Now that he is an expiring, let’s hope someone needs his services and expiring. When he’s healthy and attacking, he’s pretty solid but he’s widely inconsistent and his behavior matches that too.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:09 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 pm I mean look no further than the Crabbe trade. Crabbe and two non lottery firsts for Prince and a 2nd.

Probably less. It may cost a 2nd to salary dump him (maybe not), but his value is high enough in this market we could possibly take back a less productive expiring and get an asset just for that. And some people want to waive him...comical.

So, it would take a 2nd to salary dump him but waiving him is "comical".... I see.

Again, I challenge you to find ONE TEAM that would even have a slim chance of wanting to do this?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm

So, it would take a 2nd to salary dump him but waiving him is "comical".... I see.

Again, I challenge you to find ONE TEAM that would even have a slim chance of wanting to do this?
Lol. You understand if you waive him you don't get the cap relief, the point of giving the 2nd. Waiving him removes a productive player and pays him to do nothing. Yes, it is comical.

And plenty of teams are options for him, but FA needs to play out to know exactly who is a candidate.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Lol. You understand if you waive him you don't get the cap relief, the point of giving the 2nd. Waiving him removes a productive player and pays him to do nothing. Yes, it is comical.
There isn't a team in the league that is going to take Jeff Teague's $19 million 2019-20 salary and a 2nd and not send back $19 million in salary back.

While Teague, if healthy, will be a productive player, his production is meaningless to the 2019-20 Minnesota Timberwolves. This is his last contact season and the Wolves need to move on to a new PG. It is better if they play all of Teague's minutes with other players and hope they can develop into quality players going forward even if they are not as productive as Teague would be.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

We’re thin at PG, folks.

We could actually use Teague this year.

Could he be traded? Of course.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:36 pm We’re thin at PG, folks.

We could actually use Teague this year.

Could he be traded? Of course.
Use him for what? We are better off with two new PGs (although I can see resigning Ty Jones) that have a chance to play forward with this team. Every minute we put the new guys out is a minute they are playing with their potential future teammates. That is very fn valuable. Every minute Jeff Teague is out there takes away from that value. Finding players that can play a role in 2020-21 and beyond is what we actually need.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

We’re gonna try to win games this year.

Call me crazy.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:26 pm

There isn't a team in the league that is going to take Jeff Teague's $19 million 2019-20 salary and a 2nd and not send back $19 million in salary back.

While Teague, if healthy, will be a productive player, his production is meaningless to the 2019-20 Minnesota Timberwolves. This is his last contact season and the Wolves need to move on to a new PG. It is better if they play all of Teague's minutes with other players and hope they can develop into quality players going forward even if they are not as productive as Teague would be.
Lol. Charlotte is a great candidate as an example, if Kemba leaves. There are tons of options, tons of potential landing spots for him. Just stop. You are wrong. You don't understand trade value as someone once said. Fucking crazy talk.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm
Lol. Charlotte is a great candidate as an example, if Kemba leaves. There are tons of options, tons of potential landing spots for him. Just stop. You are wrong. You don't understand trade value as someone once said. Fucking crazy talk.
LOL.... If Kemba leaves then they are not a competitive team and would have zero interest in Jeff Teague, and they only have $6 million in cap space even without Kemba signing although they would have more cap room if MKG and Marvin Williams declines their player options. But that makes them a tanking team that will not have any ability attract free agents. Such a team might be interested in Teague as a salary dump if we include a future first round pick.

Maybe they would do something like swap Bismack Biyombo for Jeff Teague, one for one, expiring for expiring. The real value to the Wolves on that would be saving $2 million in contract. Maybe as a 12th man Biyombo would have some value coming in as a D-sub. The Wolves shoudl explore such transactions in the offseason and see if they can move Teague. But failing that, they should just waive him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 pm
LOL.... If Kemba leaves then they are not a competitive team and would have zero interest in Jeff Teague, and they only have $6 million in cap space even without Kemba signing although they would have more cap room if MKG and Marvin Williams declines their player options. But that makes them a tanking team that will not have any ability attract free agents. Such a team might be interested in Teague as a salary dump if we include a future first round pick.

Maybe they would do something like swap Bismack Biyombo for Jeff Teague, one for one, expiring for expiring. The real value to the Wolves on that would be saving $2 million in contract. Maybe as a 12th man Biyombo would have some value coming in as a D-sub. The Wolves shoudl explore such transactions in the offseason and see if they can move Teague. But failing that, they should just waive him.
You really need to stop. You don't see all the angles. They absolutely would consider Teauge, more so because it would likely be a swap of Teauge for Bismack + 2nd. You are abnormally dense, even for you...what's going on? This is the first example I found and it took me 30 seconds. Lol.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

It's possible Teague/Tyus are the two pg options again this year. I think they'll explore moving Teague (along with assets attached) if it becomes clear Brooklyn is not going to keep Russell.

Could you trade Teague/Dieng + assets (future first for sure) for Bazemore/space from Atlanta then sign Russell?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm It's possible Teague/Tyus are the two pg options again this year. I think they'll explore moving Teague (along with assets attached) if it becomes clear Brooklyn is not going to keep Russell.

Could you trade Teague/Dieng + assets (future first for sure) for Bazemore/space from Atlanta then sign Russell?
Would love this and then hope you hit the jackpot at #11.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 pm It's possible Teague/Tyus are the two pg options again this year. I think they'll explore moving Teague (along with assets attached) if it becomes clear Brooklyn is not going to keep Russell.

Don't believe that clears enough space. Additionally, the Teauge/Bazemore aspect is pretty pointless. Just keep Teauge and move him in a deal like I said.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Don't believe that clears enough space. Additionally, the Teauge/Bazemore aspect is pretty pointless. Just keep Teauge and move him in a deal like I said.
Fair. In this scenario, you could keep Teague or get Bazemore and stretch the contract over the next few years to create more room.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 pm

You really need to stop. You don't see all the angles. They absolutely would consider Teauge, more so because it would likely be a swap of Teauge for Bismack + 2nd. You are abnormally dense, even for you...what's going on? This is the first example I found and it took me 30 seconds. Lol.
You found a very unlikely deal with zero value that would happen in the offseason, if ever. This is a neutral, offseason trade that has zero value.

The real claim is that if you keep Teague that at or near the trade deadline there is a competitive team that will need a veteran PG and give the Wolves real value in a trade. But of that, there isn't an example.

The Wolves thinking should be

1. Try to find an offseason trade even if it just a swapping expiring contracts change of scenery type of deal.

2. Since in no way should the Wolves accept any long term salary unless it is for a quality young player, this limits the value Teague can bring back. And there is no way Teague is going to get any quality young player back in trade or any asset unless we take a lot of salary back into 2020-21 and beyond.

3. There is a lot of cap space in the 2019-20 offseason. But they are going to blow through that fast. There is potential that a team with left over 2019-20 cap space could take a flier on Teague, but about all we would get would be a trade exception. Lets say the Lakers strike out on free agency and have $20 million in space left. They might give a protected 2nd round pick (top 55 protected or something) and take Teague, but even that is highly unlikely. The teams that have space but strikeout on the big time free agents will just spend on the lesser ones.

4. Failing all of that, then the proper thing to do is waive Jeff Teague. I could see sending him to the Mark Blount P.O Box instead, but there is value in doing what is right for a veteran player.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Fair. In this scenario, you could keep Teague or get Bazemore and stretch the contract over the next few years to create more room.
We don't need more dead cap space. We don't need to stretch anyone and that still doesn't create enough room.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm

You found a very unlikely deal with zero value that would happen in the offseason, if ever. This is a neutral, offseason trade that has zero value.

The real claim is that if you keep Teague that at or near the trade deadline there is a competitive team that will need a veteran PG and give the Wolves real value in a trade. But of that, there isn't an example.

1. Try to find an offseason trade even if it just a swapping expiring contracts change of scenery type of deal.

2. Since in no way should the Wolves accept any long term salary unless it is for a quality young player, this limits the value Teague can bring back. And there is no way Teague is going to get any quality young player back in trade or any asset unless we take a lot of salary back into 2020-21 and beyond.

3. There is a lot of cap space in the 2019-20 offseason. But they are going to blow through that fast. There is potential that a team with left over 2019-20 cap space could take a flier on Teague, but about all we would get would be a trade exception. Lets say the Lakers strike out on free agency and have $20 million in space left. They might give a protected 2nd round pick (top 55 protected or something) and take Teague, but even that is highly unlikely. The teams that have space but strikeout on the big time free agents will just spend on the lesser ones.

4. Failing all of that, then the proper thing to do is waive Jeff Teague. I could see sending him to the Mark Blount P.O Box instead, but there is value in doing what is right for a veteran player.
Stop wasting your time responding, you are wrong, deal with it.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

They could potentially stretch both Teague and Dieng.

Teague's $19 million could be stretched to 3 years and Dieng's $33.5 to 5 years.

That would be annual dead cap hits of $6.3 million and $6.7 million. That is a cap savings of $22 million but with cap holds not all of that is available, and I think the Russell cap number will be more than that. But, it is doable to sign him.

HOWEVER, now we have added about $13 million in dead money going forward and that could cause lots of problems.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

LOL.. right.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

LOL.. right.
Yes, right.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Teague's $19 million could be stretched to 3 years and Dieng's $33.5 to 5 years.

That would be annual dead cap hits of $6.3 million and $6.7 million. That is a cap savings of $22 million but with cap holds not all of that is available, and I think the Russell cap number will be more than that. But, it is doable to sign him.

HOWEVER, now we have added about $13 million in dead money going forward and that could cause lots of problems.
So how often are teams allowed to "stretch" a contract?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:38 pm

So how often are teams allowed to "stretch" a contract?
Unlike the Amnesty Clause, teams can stretch as many contracts as they want. Just jacks future cap up more if not wise about it.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 pm

We don't need more dead cap space. We don't need to stretch anyone and that still doesn't create enough room.
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

Probably have to do like a Teague + Dieng + Saric + Okogie to Atlanta for Bazemore and then stretch Bazemore?

Clearing out those out those four salaries would get you down to 77, add Bazemore to get you back to 95 but stretch that to 6 a year. You're at about 83 again. Number goes down if Tyus signs for qualifying offer.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

Probably have to do like a Teague + Dieng + Saric + Okogie to Atlanta for Bazemore and then stretch Bazemore?

Clearing out those out those four salaries would get you down to 77, add Bazemore to get you back to 95 but stretch that to 6 a year. You're at about 83 again. Number goes down if Tyus signs for qualifying offer.

There might be a team interested in Saric or Okogie (or both) that would clear out Dieng's salary but it would probably take a future first to do so.

Our team for next year if such a process went through would be Towns-Wiggins-Russell-Covington-KBD-first round pick and Reynolds/that type. The core would be good but half the rotation would be missing. That is a lot to fill in fast but it is doable if you have a front office interested in finding good players from wherever.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

There might be a team interested in Saric or Okogie (or both) that would clear out Dieng's salary but it would probably take a future first to do so.

Our team for next year if such a process went through would be Towns-Wiggins-Russell-Covington-KBD-first round pick and Reynolds/that type. The core would be good but half the rotation would be missing. That is a lot to fill in fast but it is doable if you have a front office interested in finding good players from wherever.
Start plucking some league minimum veteran guys for backup roles, have the #11 pick, bring back Tolliver if you want with a room exception.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/