Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Teauge's Trade Value

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Teauge's Trade Value

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm
Fair. In this scenario, you could keep Teague or get Bazemore and stretch the contract over the next few years to create more room.
We don't need more dead cap space. We don't need to stretch anyone and that still doesn't create enough room.
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

Probably have to do like a Teague + Dieng + Saric + Okogie to Atlanta for Bazemore and then stretch Bazemore?

Clearing out those out those four salaries would get you down to 77, add Bazemore to get you back to 95 but stretch that to 6 a year. You're at about 83 again. Number goes down if Tyus signs for qualifying offer.
Bazemore would be stretched over 3 years (2× remaining length + 1). It is a bad idea though.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

Probably have to do like a Teague + Dieng + Saric + Okogie to Atlanta for Bazemore and then stretch Bazemore?

Clearing out those out those four salaries would get you down to 77, add Bazemore to get you back to 95 but stretch that to 6 a year. You're at about 83 again. Number goes down if Tyus signs for qualifying offer.

There might be a team interested in Saric or Okogie (or both) that would clear out Dieng's salary but it would probably take a future first to do so.

Our team for next year if such a process went through would be Towns-Wiggins-Russell-Covington-KBD-first round pick and Reynolds/that type. The core would be good but half the rotation would be missing. That is a lot to fill in fast but it is doable if you have a front office interested in finding good players from wherever.
Start plucking some league minimum guys for backup roles, have the #11 pick, bring back Tolliver if you want with a room exception.
While I agree we should not even be looking at structuring for the playoffs this season, our rotation is going to need a lot more than Tolliver over the long run. We need to finally score on non-lottery players found in the later rounds, foreign and G-Leagues, and other.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:13 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm

There might be a team interested in Saric or Okogie (or both) that would clear out Dieng's salary but it would probably take a future first to do so.

Our team for next year if such a process went through would be Towns-Wiggins-Russell-Covington-KBD-first round pick and Reynolds/that type. The core would be good but half the rotation would be missing. That is a lot to fill in fast but it is doable if you have a front office interested in finding good players from wherever.
Start plucking some league minimum guys for backup roles, have the #11 pick, bring back Tolliver if you want with a room exception.
While I agree we should not even be looking at structuring for the playoffs this season, our rotation is going to need a lot more than Tolliver over the long run. We need to finally score on non-lottery players found in the later rounds, foreign and G-Leagues, and other.
For sure, I'm just trying to come up with some hypothetical scenarios if there ends up being any legs to them going all in after Russell.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 pm

We don't need more dead cap space. We don't need to stretch anyone and that still doesn't create enough room.
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

Bazemore would be stretched over 3 years (2× remaining length + 1). It is a bad idea though.
That's why I said 6 a year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:59 am There is something I want to touch on because there is a bunch of capspace this FA period, thoes who think the cost of moving Teauge will be high may be mistaken. A player getting 19mil per on a long-term deal in FA may not be equal to Teauge who is startable and also expires and allows a team to not overpay in a year that everyone has money to burn. I think people will be suprised, some team that wants to compete or wants competency at the point will strikeout and Teauge will be there without the long-term commitment. There is reason for optimism.
Analysts think there will be teams who would take him on just to reach the cap minimum. One of The Ringer writers mentioned Atlanta as an obvious target given Teague's ties to the team, but that may have been hurt by the recent Crabbe trade.
Last edited by memyworld on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:20 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Towns 27
Wiggins 27
Covington 12
Saric 3.5
Tyus 7 (cap hold)
Okogie 2.5
KBD 1.5
Aldrich 700k
Teague 19
Dieng 16
118 mil?

That's why I said 6 a year.
Missed the a.
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm There isn't a team in the league that is going to take Jeff Teague's $19 million 2019-20 salary and a 2nd and not send back $19 million in salary back.

While Teague, if healthy, will be a productive player, his production is meaningless to the 2019-20 Minnesota Timberwolves. This is his last contact season and the Wolves need to move on to a new PG. It is better if they play all of Teague's minutes with other players and hope they can develop into quality players going forward even if they are not as productive as Teague would be.
Lol. Charlotte is a great candidate as an example, if Kemba leaves. There are tons of options, tons of potential landing spots for him. Just stop. You are wrong. You don't understand trade value as someone once said. Fucking crazy talk.
If Kyrie Irving leaves Boston, the Celtics may have an interest in Teague.

That said, I kinda doubt we will be trading him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm There isn't a team in the league that is going to take Jeff Teague's $19 million 2019-20 salary and a 2nd and not send back $19 million in salary back.

While Teague, if healthy, will be a productive player, his production is meaningless to the 2019-20 Minnesota Timberwolves. This is his last contact season and the Wolves need to move on to a new PG. It is better if they play all of Teague's minutes with other players and hope they can develop into quality players going forward even if they are not as productive as Teague would be.
Lol. Charlotte is a great candidate as an example, if Kemba leaves. There are tons of options, tons of potential landing spots for him. Just stop. You are wrong. You don't understand trade value as someone once said. Fucking crazy talk.

I think we might trade him, but I think we take back an extra year of salary for a first opposed to trying to clear space. I would have to imagine the new FO wants to stock up on assets to set up moves vs. leaving themselves nothing. Kind of why I think they trade down, trade Saric and Maybe even Covington at some point.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I don’t like Teague.

2nd least favorite Timberwolf behind that dope Wiggins.

But keeping him this year would be okay since he’s an expiring contract and you also have the potential to get a motivated Teague as he might be going for his last significant pay day.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I think everyone assumed Terry Rozier would be next in line. However, I doubt he will stay there after how he's voiced his displeasure over how this season went for him after he crushed in Irving's absence previously.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

irishman89 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm

I think everyone assumed Terry Rozier would be next in line. However, I doubt he will stay there after how he's voiced his displeasure over how this season went for him after he crushed in Irving's absence previously.
Problem is Boston has no one to trade for him really.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there's no reason why atlanta would pull some crazy deal to "rid" themselves of kent bazemore's contract. he played okay for them this year - and more to the point, they actually need baze and crabbe's contracts just to meet league minimum. after next season, both of them will become free agents - $37M will come off their books - and right now, after baze and crabbe, miles plumlee's final $12M and trae young's $6M deal next year are the most expensive on the roster. chew on that a bit.

if they resign dedmon, and they might - he likes it there and very well might take a reasonable deal in the 9 to 10 M range per year for couple - they are still sitting extremely sweet for the future. they could (and should) waive miles plumlee and pay his $12M next year, why not - his best value to the team right now is helping them hit league minimum. they've got a mid first now at 17 from the crabbe trade and can pick up kabengele or fernando to replace his roster spot at a fraction of the cost (and with probable better production).

tons of young promising talent on cheap contracts, 6 more picks this year to bring in even more cheap talent - they are in the direct opposite situation that most nba teams find themselves lashed to.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:08 pm I don't think you can come up with a single team that you could make such a claim even as a hypothetical.

Lots of factors are in play.

1. There exists a competitive team that wants a veteran PG.
2. They have matching contracts to send back in the trade that the Wolves will accept.
3. There is some asset value in the deal to Minnesota.

To make it even plausible there should be several potential prospects. But I doubt you can even name one hypothetical.
Pho is likely to draft a PG. Booker has been making noise about their lack of winning and wants to make a big jump. They have FA money but are unlikely to be in on any of the big timers. They may want a legit PG to play in front of their rook for a year. They could take on Teague's entire salary or they could send us Tyler Johnson who makes the same as Teague and expires and a pick or 2.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I don't get the Teague hate:
Twolves with Teague starting 23-18
Twolves without Teague 13-28

I suspect the revised offense the Twolves use next year will play more into Teague's (actually anyone not named Butler) strengths than the antiquated Thibs scheme.

Teague is an expiring contract for the Twolves too..
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm I don't get the Teague hate:

I suspect the revised offense the Twolves use next year will play more into Teague's (actually anyone not named Butler) strengths than the antiquated Thibs scheme.

An expiring contract in itself has no value.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Than why so much talk about it?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:50 am
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:08 pm I don't think you can come up with a single team that you could make such a claim even as a hypothetical.

2. They have matching contracts to send back in the trade that the Wolves will accept.

To make it even plausible there should be several potential prospects. But I doubt you can even name one hypothetical.
Pho is likely to draft a PG. Booker has been making noise about their lack of winning and wants to make a big jump. They have FA money but are unlikely to be in on any of the big timers. They may want a legit PG to play in front of their rook for a year. They could take on Teague's entire salary or they could send us Tyler Johnson who makes the same as Teague and expires and a pick or 2.
Doubtful they want a $19 million point guard. In the event they get a guy like Teague in a trade, they aren’t giving up assets to get him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Doubtful they want a $19 million point guard. In the event they get a guy like Teague in a trade, they aren’t giving up assets to get him.
PHX is a possiblity, they have space to absorb him, won't use the space much better than to conserve it. Absorbing Teauge would be the asset. They may want a 2nd...fine...if we have plans for the space it creates. A team might not ask for one though.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Yup, a team I had on my radar.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Sure it does. That value is dependent on factors such as production, position, scarcity, demand ect... But even an unproductive expiring has value, by virtue of being an expiring.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Sure it does. That value is dependent on factors such as production, position, scarcity, demand ect... But even an unproductive expiring has value, by virtue of being an expiring.
Again, it doesn’t in itself. People pretend that because you have an expiring contract it is trade value. It isn’t.

For example a trade I proposed Tristan Thompson for Dieng and draft assets. Thompson’s expiring has no value. In itself. What creates the value is the differential in total money, not the expiration.
witljon

Post by witljon »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:30 pm I don’t like Teague.

They start because they are 2 of our top 5 players.
Overpaid, but 2 of our better players. :shrug:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Again, it doesn’t in itself. People pretend that because you have an expiring contract it is trade value. It isn’t.

For example a trade I proposed Tristan Thompson for Dieng and draft assets. Thompson’s expiring has no value. In itself. What creates the value is the differential in total money, not the expiration.
Lol. The fact expiring contracts come off the books and allow for additional cap relief or avoidance of the LUX (forward thinking) is the only reason expirings have value, for non star players anyways. Differential in term and money owed is part of that, but it is not always the driver of said value or expirings wouldn't ever be dealt for other expirings, which happens. The value of an expiring is in the punt, not having commit to risk relative to a teams desire to take on risk be this taking on future money or taking a lesser player or both. Only an expiring contract has that value and would not have it if not for being an expiring. Don't you ever get tired being wrong? You should be embarrassed lecturing people that they don't understand trade value when it is in fact you. You cannot seem to help yourself, just drop it you are wrong per the usual.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 am
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:30 pm I don’t like Teague.

They start because they are 2 of our top 5 players.
Overpaid, but 2 of our better players. :shrug:
This.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:16 am

Lol. The fact expiring contracts come off the books and allow for additional cap relief or avoidance of the LUX (forward thinking) is the only reason expirings have value, for non star players anyways. Differential in term and money owed is part of that, but it is not always the driver of said value or expirings wouldn't ever be dealt for other expirings, which happens. The value of an expiring is in the punt, not having commit to risk relative to a teams desire to take on risk be this taking on future money or taking a lesser player or both. Only an expiring contract has that value and would not have it if not for being an expiring. Don't you ever get tired being wrong? You should be embarrassed lecturing people that they don't understand trade value when it is in fact you. You cannot seem to help yourself, just drop it you are wrong per the usual.
Here is what your are arguing: Bad contracts have value.

They don’t.

Relative contract values can change a player’s trade value. But an expiring contract has no inherent value.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:07 am

They don’t.

Relative contract values can change a player’s trade value. But an expiring contract has no inherent value.
Dude he is not in any way, EXPIRING! Good or bad while the contract ran. When it's expiring it has value for it's ability to facilitate over the cap trades for a cash cost.

You are arguing something along the lines of money has no value it's just what you can get for it that does. Just let it go you are wrong.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:07 am

They don’t.

Not what I am arrguing at all. A bad expiring contract, is expiring, therefore it has the value of an expiring, which I outlined. Does it have as much value as a "good" expring, I.E. a good player who is expiring (equal money), no, but all markets have that built in, relitive value. The point is an expiring has unique value by virtue of being an expiring. Value that is not there if the contract has long-term obligations. Just give up you lost and sound dumber by the second.