Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Derrick Rose spills the beans

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Moses Scurry

Derrick Rose spills the beans

Post by Moses Scurry »

http://www.startribune.com/new-derrick- ... 510856682/

*On arriving with the Wolves and then-coach Tom Thibodeau late in their 2017-18 playoff season after being bought out by Utah following a trade from Cleveland, Rose writes: “With Minnesota, Thibs was honest. Even when he didn’t play me when I first got there, he was just telling me, ‘They have certain people here, they feel like they need to play certain people.’ He was just telling me to stick with him. I stuck with him and he looked out for me. That’s one of the reasons I stuck with him and wanted to come back.”

*On Jimmy Butler and his trade request — plus the resulting chaos that ensued — Rose said he and Butler talked quite a bit about what was happening. Rose said he counseled Butler “not to lose your leverage” while he also tried to become a veteran leader to hold the Wolves together during that process.

“Look, it wasn’t his fault,” Rose wrote of Butler’s situation and trade request. “It’s the league’s fault. Nothing against Karl-Anthony Towns, he’s cool — and he’s good. But you get these kids and you spoil them before they achieve something.”

One page later, Rose adds: “Jimmy was feeling, ‘Why’d y’all pay them first and I was the one that got you to the playoffs?’ That’s all it was. Jimmy wasn’t doing it right, though he was right.”

*Regarding the infamous practice in which Butler returned to the Wolves with an expletive-laced flourish and took on more established rotation players with lesser-used players, Rose writes: “Scored one time in that practice they were all writing about. Yes, one basket. Right hand up to God. What’s so exciting about that? But the media is going crazy. You would think he scored 30. … It was killing Thibs, I tell you. He wasn’t saying anything to us, but you could tell he was taking it hard.”
flexbuffchest

Re: Derrick Rose spills the beans

Post by flexbuffchest »

One page later, Rose adds: “Jimmy was feeling, ‘Why’d y’all pay them first and I was the one that got you to the playoffs?’ That’s all it was. Jimmy wasn’t doing it right, though he was right.”
Essentially what we knew all along. Jimmy wanted to get paid and Glen himself even said that the Wolves would need to do a lot of roster overhaul if he was going to pay all 3.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I appreciate Derrick for being a real one. It was fucked up it got as out of control as it did. Just mismanaged egos.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

If it really was about the money, why did they sign JT to $19 million per year? OMG WTF SMH.

Honestly, I get Taylor not wanting to pay luxury tax. But thats pretty easy to plan out.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am If it really was about the money, why did they sign JT to $19 million per year? OMG WTF SMH.

Honestly, I get Taylor not wanting to pay luxury tax. But thats pretty easy to plan out.
No foresight.

This news also explains why Jimmy would frequently not even acknowledge Taylor during games.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am If it really was about the money, why did they sign JT to $19 million per year? OMG WTF SMH.

That was during the great cap hike. Where massive continued growth was expected, but in reality never happened. Also we needed a point and I think they thought Teague would put them over the hump with Butler, and the hopefully the emergence of the young core.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thibs sounds like he ran a divisive locker room.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I am really confused about the whole Butler contract thing anyway. I thought we did offer him the max for his extension, what were the other options? Like 4 years 100 or something.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thibs and Jimmy were right, back to 36 wins with this "core".
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

BTW, any The Young Ones fans?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am I am really confused about the whole Butler contract thing anyway. I thought we did offer him the max for his extension, what were the other options? Like 4 years 100 or something.
We did. But years of service and the all NBA kickers could have come in play after the season for Butler. Plus bird rights. So I think we could have offered him the 30% of the cap for 5 years. That's the deal he wanted.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am I am really confused about the whole Butler contract thing anyway. I thought we did offer him the max for his extension, what were the other options? Like 4 years 100 or something.
We did. But years of service and the all NBA kickers could have come in play after the season for Butler. Plus bird rights. So I think we could have offered him the 30% of the cap for 5 years. That's the deal he wanted.
Oh, so there were two options, the early extension or the max once his contract was actually up.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Lol this makes Jimmy look even worse.

No world where Thibs wasn't giving Jimmy a max contract.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

You know on the court, Butler did.not mesh well with Karl. Or Wiggins. They never really figured out how to play together.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am
YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am
Oh, so there were two options, the early extension or the max once his contract was actually up.
Yep. That's how I remember it anyway.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Looks like Rose isn’t coming back. Cool to know what happened but what happens in the locker room stays there unless you plan on leaving.

Always said, Jimmy’s beef was that Karl and wigs got 5 year maxed deals and he didn’t so when he was on espn with Rachel crying it wasn’t about the money; he was full of shit.

But I heard Philly will give him the max 5 years.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Thanks for the post Moses, I don’t have a subscription to the star tribune.

I have one for the Athletic and espn+ though so let me know when you guys want something from there.

We are one wolves family.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am Looks like Rose isn’t coming back. Cool to know what happened but what happens in the locker room stays there unless you plan on leaving.

Always said, Jimmy’s beef was that Karl and wigs got 5 year maxed deals and he didn’t so when he was on espn with Rachel crying it wasn’t about the money; he was full of shit.

But I heard Philly will give him the max 5 years.
The process will be dead in 2 years
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 am Thanks for the post Moses, I don’t have a subscription to the star tribune.

I have one for the Athletic and espn+ though so let me know when you guys want something from there.

We are one wolves family.
Clear your browser and you'll get one free article each time you visit the strib. :mrgreen: Or at least it works for me.
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

There’s 0 scenario where KAT doesn’t get the max - 0.

Getting pissed about it is stupid.

Wiggins on the other hand, I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t let him hit RFA.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Butler wanted his new max deal last summer -- which meant the Wolves had to get under the cap by x amount of money to extend him up to the max amount he wanted.... versus waiting til this summer to get the max. So maybe lost in there somewhere is he wanted Wiggins out.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 am You know on the court, Butler did.not mesh well with Karl. Or Wiggins. They never really figured out how to play together.
Never figured it out? They won 47 games in 17-18. Would've been over 50 if Butler didn't hurt his knee. Thanks Thibbs!!! Butler hated that Towns and Wiggles are soft, and got payed before him. It made the locker room toxic, but had very little actual impact on the court.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Southpaw23 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:24 am There’s 0 scenario where KAT doesn’t get the max - 0.

Wiggins on the other hand, I still don’t understand why you wouldn’t let him hit RFA.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. He was coming off the 24 PPG season when we extended him. The hope was he would continue to develop as a player. Remember Glen demanded to have a meeting with him and made him promise he would work hard or something to that affect before he offered him the contract.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am

No foresight.

This news also explains why Jimmy would frequently not even acknowledge Taylor during games.
I don't know much abut the Butler/Taylor dynamic, I thought both were on talking terms most of the time but Thibs always told Glen "don't worry about Jimmy, I'll handle him".. and made up shit last summer about everything being fine so then Butler had to go to Taylor to request a deal. But yeah, if you knew he was going to want new money soon, have some foresight to see that would need to be dealt with more so than Wiggins or Towns (who was a year away).
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Wait, so all that shit about Butler dominating in that practice, scoring bucket after bucket and dragging the bench guys to a win against the starters was all just made up?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 am
YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 am You know on the court, Butler did.not mesh well with Karl. Or Wiggins. They never really figured out how to play together.
Never figured it out? They won 47 games in 17-18. Would've been over 50 if Butler didn't hurt his knee. Thanks Thibbs!!! Butler hated that Towns and Wiggles are soft, and got payed before him. It made the locker room toxic, but had very little actual impact on the court.
That team underachieved. They got by on talent level alone. If they actually played as a real team they could have been really something.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Southpaw23 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:24 am There’s 0 scenario where KAT doesn’t get the max - 0.

The sad part is that if we had just traded Wiggins instead of Lavine it wouldn't have costed as many assets and we'd be in much better shape both now and in the future. You still let Lavine hit RFA, max Jimmy and boom.

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am

No foresight.

I don't know much abut the Butler/Taylor dynamic, I thought both were on talking terms most of the time but Thibs always told Glen "don't worry about Jimmy, I'll handle him".. and made up shit last summer about everything being fine so then Butler had to go to Taylor to request a deal. But yeah, if you knew he was going to want new money soon, have some foresight to see that would need to be dealt with more so than Wiggins or Towns (who was a year away).
It was a comment made a few times by Benz or Petersen during games that Butler would go high five, cheer, etc with the other players here but that he simply never acknowledged Glen during some games.

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wigs was ascending

Year 1 Rookie of the year
Year 2 Rising Stars MvP 20ppg
Year 3 23.6 ppg

They didn’t want a Kevin Love or Gordon Hayward scenario where the player would sign a 3+1 opt out contract.

Small market like us, we wanted to lock them up.

Wigs has declined but I am willing to give him one more season because he’s still young, has the tools, and we have a new regime. Last year though for me.
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am

Wigs was ascending

Year 1 Rookie of the year
Year 2 Rising Stars MvP 20ppg
Year 4 23.6 ppg

They didn’t want a Kevin Love or Gordon Hayward scenario where the player would sign a 3+1 opt out contract.

Small market like us, we wanted to lock them up.

Wigs has declined but I am willing to give him one more season because he’s still young, has the tools, and we have a new regime. Last year though for me.
I doubt it. You would be satisfied with the numbers he had this year. You have said as much in the many posts you made supporting his game.