Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
whiskerbiscuit

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:55 pm
T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
The only way he leaves before is if we straight up hit the lotto and get KG the 2nd who brings exactly the same at the same spot for 1/10th the money. Better odds we win 3 titles by then.
Like Moses said, we have three years. We need at least one and probably two star players to put around Towns or he's gone. In those three years we, in all likelihood, will have minimal cap room and no high picks

Have to make something happen, and have to do it ASAP.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
The 2nd sentence in your post is the exact reason why ppl are already worried about towns leaving. When we get to 2022, if we haven’t already proven to be a championship contender by then it’ll be too late to convince him to stay. As the roster is currently constructed do you’ve think we can become a contender by then? Not a chance in hell. It’s a very real concern as it’s going to be hard to acquire quality talent with wiggins contract taking up a lot of our cap space outside of getting lucky in the draft.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm
The only way he leaves before is if we straight up hit the lotto and get KG the 2nd who brings exactly the same at the same spot for 1/10th the money. Better odds we win 3 titles by then.
Like Moses said, we have three years. We need at least one and probably two star players to put around Towns or he's gone. In those three years we, in all likelihood, will have minimal cap room and no high picks

You don't need 3 "stars" to win. Who are Tor 3 stars? You need Towns to shore up the D and cement himself as a superstar and surround him with good smart players who play both ends.
T_J

Post by T_J »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:32 pm
The 2nd sentence in your post is the exact reason why ppl are already worried about towns leaving. When we get to 2022, if we haven’t already proven to be a championship contender by then it’ll be too late to convince him to stay. As the roster is currently constructed do you’ve think we can become a contender by then? Not a chance in hell. It’s a very real concern as it’s going to be hard to acquire quality talent with wiggins contract taking up a lot of our cap space outside of getting lucky in the draft.
Sure they can build a contender by then. 3-4 years is an NBA eternity. This front office has a track record of success.

If they can't at least be a 2nd round out in that time, then Towns should leave and I wouldn't blame him. They already have the easiest part of a contender here under contract, a young superstar.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Cap wise they're doing fine once Dieng/Teague come off the books. Covington is signed for three more years and Wiggins has four left -- you can probably move Wiggins in the next year for a shorter contract that comes off the books end of next 2021 maybe?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:40 pm

You don't need 3 "stars" to win. Who are Tor 3 stars? You need Towns to shore up the D and cement himself as a superstar and surround him with good smart players who play both ends.
We need one and probably two more guys as good as Lowry.

Right now we don't have one and we don't have the resources to get one. If we can get Russell we have no choice because he at least has that chance.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Cap wise they're doing fine once Dieng/Teague come off the books. Covington is signed for three more years and Wiggins has four left -- you can probably move Wiggins in the next year for a shorter contract that comes off the books end of next 2021 maybe?
Yea, and then there's the fact that we're Minnesota and unlikely to land anybody even with the space.

I'm all in on Russell, should have got him for Butler.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Yea, and then there's the fact that we're Minnesota and unlikely to land anybody even with the space.

I'd love to get Russell but again, you need space right now and he needs to be a UFA, not an RFA.

Last time the Wolves had space, they got Gibson and Teague. Those guys were big parts of the most successful season post KG prime era.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm

I'd love to get Russell but again, you need space right now and he needs to be a UFA, not an RFA.

Last time the Wolves had space, they got Gibson and Teague. Those guys were big parts of the most successful season post KG prime era.
I don't see any way they can make it work other than dumping Wiggins. I don't think they are willing to do that.

If I have a chance at D Lo, I'm giving up Wiggins for anything just to free up that space.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm

I don't see any way they can make it work other than dumping Wiggins. I don't think they are willing to do that.

If I have a chance at D Lo, I'm giving up Wiggins for anything just to free up that space.
Hypothetically a team with cap space calls MN and says we'll give you a heavily protected second and absorb Wiggins' contract and you can sign Russell then.... yeah, I think anyone would do that since you're trading them straight up basically.

Now when you say "I'm giving up Wiggins for anything to free up space"... well how are you freeing up space? You can't take money back if you want Russell.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Hypothetically a team with cap space calls MN and says we'll give you a heavily protected second and absorb Wiggins' contract and you can sign Russell then.... yeah, I think anyone would do that since you're trading them straight up basically.

Now when you say "I'm giving up Wiggins for anything to free up space"... well how are you freeing up space? You can't take money back if you want Russell.
I meant to free up space to get Russell signed

Does anybody want a maxed Wiggins though?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Not unless you're taking back a shitty contract at this point. (swap crap contract for crap contract essentially)
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Not unless you're taking back a shitty contract at this point. (swap crap contract for crap contract essentially)
That's why I'm on the Wall train if you can't get D Lo.

I would swap Wiggins for Wall if it looks like we have no other shot at any bigger names any time soon.

I get ripped for it but it's a deal I make and keep building through the draft.

I'm sure Washington doesn't want another shit contract back either though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

No snitches
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:44 pm
Sure they can build a contender by then. 3-4 years is an NBA eternity. This front office has a track record of success.

If they can't at least be a 2nd round out in that time, then Towns should leave and I wouldn't blame him. They already have the easiest part of a contender here under contract, a young superstar.
Steph curry was drafted by the warriors in 2009, but the core of the team was assembled between 2011 and 2012 when Thompson, draymond, and Barnes were all drafted. In year 1/2011 the warriors were under .500, year 2 they finished above .500 and reached the playoffs. By year 4 they finally established themselves as a franchise and won their first finals.

Using them as a comparison, a best case scenario for us is we become championship contenders in 4 years, and that’s assuming we hit “home runs” on EVERY draft pick from here on out like they did, you have that much confidence in rosas and co? Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but it’s a tall order given where we stand
T_J

Post by T_J »

T_J

Post by T_J »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Steph curry was drafted by the warriors in 2009, but the core of the team was assembled between 2011 and 2012 when Thompson, draymond, and Barnes were all drafted. In year 1/2011 the warriors were under .500, year 2 they finished above .500 and reached the playoffs. By year 4 they finally established themselves as a franchise and won their first finals.

Using them as a comparison, a best case scenario for us is we become championship contenders in 4 years, and that’s assuming we hit “home runs” on EVERY draft pick from here on out like they did, you have that much confidence in rosas and co? Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but it’s a tall order given where we stand
Ha I think you're being the definition of a Debbie downer.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Ha I think you're being the definition of a Debbie downer.
Perhaps, I just look at the pelicans and where they stand with Davis and see us following that same path with towns a few years down the road. I’m hoping we’re somehow able to land Russell, if we can then to your point, with solid drafting we can at least be a tough 2nd round out with him and towns
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Those were two god awful acquisitions, and we'd have been better just eating the cap space, starting Jones and Dieng and praying that they developed. And that's the best we can do unless we're on the brink of a title, which doesn't appear likely in the Town's era.

What are the realistic avenues for getting Russell? I'm not a good cap mind. Do we have to clear space and sign him as a FA? Does Brooklyn have to clear his money to sign Irving and another stud? Is a sign and trade possible? I feel like Cov would be great for them to top of their roster after FA and the draft. Cov and Dieng is 25 mil could we swap them and give that 25 to Russell? Like I said I'd give up two of Cov, Okogie and 11 then give and take any salary to make it work. Woudja?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Once in a generation offensive talent, trade him. Excellent plan.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Those were two god awful acquisitions, and we'd have been better just eating the cap space, starting Jones and Dieng and praying that they developed. And that's the best we can do unless we're on the brink of a title, which doesn't appear likely in the Town's era.

What are the realistic avenues for getting Russell? I'm not a good cap mind. Do we have to clear space and sign him as a FA? Does Brooklyn have to clear his money to sign Irving and another stud? Is a sign and trade possible? I feel like Cov would be great for them to top of their roster after FA and the draft. Cov and Dieng is 25 mil could we swap them and give that 25 to Russell? Like I said I'd give up two of Cov, Okogie and 11 then give and take any salary to make it work. Woudja?
Yes.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Yes.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Pretend you're a Nets fan right now... does signing Kyrie and trading for Covington, Okogie and #11 do a lot for you? Not sure that's exactly star hunting.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Pretend you're a Nets fan right now... does signing Kyrie and trading for Covington, Okogie and #11 do a lot for you? Not sure that's exactly star hunting.
No but it does if they get someone else as well such as Butler. That's why I asked if they need to clear Russell's money. So is it even possible to clear enough money to be able to sign him or sign and trade?

I'd do Okogie and 11 for him if it's possible and so would they I bet if they get Irving and someone else.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

They need to add another piece with Kyrie. Maybe Jimmy?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 pm

No but it does if they get someone else as well such as Butler. That's why I asked if they need to clear Russell's money. So is it even possible to clear enough money to be able to sign him or sign and trade?

I'd do Okogie and 11 for him if it's possible and so would they I bet if they get Irving and someone else.
IDK if I would give up that much for a guy who is going to want to get paid like a all-star.
Maybe I just don't see the value. And I am not a big fan, KAT's friend or not.
Can someone tell me why we need him?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 pm

I don't believe they can do all three of those .. Butler/Kyrie/sign and trade Russell for pieces. I could be wrong though... Assuming Kyrie and Butler get north of 30 a year...
T_J

Post by T_J »

I don't see how Kyrie and Jimmy is a good pairing at all. I would doubt either of them are dumb enough not to know that either.

No KD next year (assuming), Kyrie goes to the Lakers now with Lebron. Jimmy stays in Philly. Kawhi runs it back in Toronto unless they choke this series away.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am I don't believe they can do all three of those .. Butler/Kyrie/sign and trade Russell for pieces. I could be wrong though... Assuming Kyrie and Butler get north of 30 a year...
They don't have to S&T DLo right? Another team makes an offer, and they can refuse to match right?
Not sure they want to let him go for nothing. But it's an option.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am I don't see how Kyrie and Jimmy is a good pairing at all. I would doubt either of them are dumb enough not to know that either.

No KD next year (assuming), Kyrie goes to the Lakers now with Lebron. Jimmy stays in Philly. Kawhi runs it back in Toronto unless they choke this series away.
It was rumored last summer they would potentially go to Brooklyn together. They're good buddies from Team USA... I could see it happening.