Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Southpaw23

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Southpaw23 »

Something like
Russell
Richardson/T Johnson
Covington
Olynyk/J. Johnson
KAT
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 am
OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am

That's because it requires lots of dominos....

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
3) Brooklyn signs Kyrie and someone else so they have to denounce Russell's rights
4) Russell picks MN over Utah, Indiana and everyone else that wants him.
I honestly think 3 and 4 are pretty safe bets
I agree on that... but it's on Rosas and buddies to get 1 and 2 done... or Wiggins. :punch:
I think Russell to Minnesota would be a done deal if we had the cap space. I think he would certainly pick us over the other teams mentioned if we can pay him.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
3) Brooklyn signs Kyrie and someone else so they have to denounce Russell's rights
There just isn't enough cap room even with those moves. The only possibility is a sign and trade involving Wiggins. That blocks Brooklyn from going after a 2nd max free agent.
They are at 109 with Teague and Dieng. They can absolutely make enough room
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:23 pm

There just isn't enough cap room even with those moves. The only possibility is a sign and trade involving Wiggins. That blocks Brooklyn from going after a 2nd max free agent.
You have made the claim, not show how. They have to get UNDER the cap by enough to sign Russell.

Waiving and stretching Teague and Dieng subtracts $35.229 million but adds $11,919 million in dead cap plus another $1.6 million in incomplete roster charge cap hold. So you are short several million dollars. What is your next move?
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am I still dont know a plausible scenario how the Wolves could pull this off.

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
I believe I used the word "plausible"
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am I still dont know a plausible scenario how the Wolves could pull this off.

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
I believe I used the word "plausible"
You did. And I agreed to an extent because I have a hard time believing the Wolves are going to give up enough assets to dump Teague and Dieng so they can bring in Russell... assuming he picks here after Brooklyn gets two better players than him. But hey, it could happen right? :beer:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:30 pm

You have made the claim, not show how. They have to get UNDER the cap by enough to sign Russell.

Waiving and stretching Teague and Dieng subtracts $35.229 million but adds $11,919 million in dead cap plus another $1.6 million in incomplete roster charge cap hold. So you are short several million dollars. What is your next move?
Waiving and stretching isn't a real option, assuming our GM isn't full blown retarded. The only way were clearing the money needed for Dlo is including our 11th pick this year, period. Teague+Saric+1st with little value in return. Wiggins only has interest from Miami, who would merely dump some of their bloated deals on us. The only hope is for say a team like Sac who has a ton of cap space, but can never really lure anyone there....thinks that Wigs could take off with their young crew of Fox and friends. So miracle Wiggins deal to a team like Sac or an overpay with a Teague+our pick.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Who would fucking stretch an expiring contract other than mlhouse? Nobody.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:48 pm Who would fucking stretch an expiring contract other than mlhouse? Nobody.
You have to hand it to him he sticks to his guns even when he is wrong and show to be. Got to respect that consistancy.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

T_J wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:48 pm Who would fucking stretch an expiring contract other than mlhouse? Nobody.
LOL. I think you have a preconceived notion that is muddling your brain.

First, you only consider the stretch provision if you have a current opportunity. So, lets just say we have the opportunity to sign Russell or make a good deal using the 2019-20 cap space the stretch would create.

Second, you need to look at what the opportunity cost is to create cap space.

If the Wolves have the opportunity to sign Russell they can create the space by waiving with the stretch provision Jeff Teague or trading him away with assets being given up to make the trade.

It is an obvious choice for me. I waive Teague (which I do anyways if I can't find a deal in this offseason for him), stretch his $19 million over 3 years, and get Russell without giving up significant future assets. The $6.333 million dead cap isn't a game changer to any free agent plans. I retain my current and future assets, and I think the Russell-Towns-Wiggins-Covington-Saric lineup could actually be pretty dynamic.

But hey, why use the fucking stretch option when we cna just eat Jeff Teague's deal in another wasted season.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Waiving and stretching isn't a real option, assuming our GM isn't full blown retarded. The only way were clearing the money needed for Dlo is including our 11th pick this year, period. Teague+Saric+1st with little value in return. Wiggins only has interest from Miami, who would merely dump some of their bloated deals on us. The only hope is for say a team like Sac who has a ton of cap space, but can never really lure anyone there....thinks that Wigs could take off with their young crew of Fox and friends. So miracle Wiggins deal to a team like Sac or an overpay with a Teague+our pick.
LOL.... again, you think it is less retarded to give up #11 and Saric rather than take a $6.3 million cap hit over two years?

What will the Wolves do with that special extra $6.3 million? We still will not have any real cap space under the salary cap level so the MLE and the BE are the only ways this team can add free agents.

YOu are giving up a lot, assuming a guy like Russell can be signed in reality, for nothing. Absolutely nothing. The dead cap space Teague would carry has no cost to the Wolves. Zip.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

LOL.... again, you think it is less retarded to give up #11 and Saric rather than take a $6.3 million cap hit over two years?

What will the Wolves do with that special extra $6.3 million? We still will not have any real cap space under the salary cap level so the MLE and the BE are the only ways this team can add free agents.

YOu are giving up a lot, assuming a guy like Russell can be signed in reality, for nothing. Absolutely nothing. The dead cap space Teague would carry has no cost to the Wolves. Zip.
Did you just read action words or what I wrote entirely? Our GM would have to be retarded to use the stretch. A miracle deal of Wiggins or overpaying in assets is the only thing to get Dlo....am I missing something? You asked how one could free up enough money, I answered. You're basically arguing with yourself because nothing you came back with disagreed with any of my statement. All of the options, yours and mine, are not good options merely to get Dlo. Go have some tea, relax.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Did you just read action words or what I wrote entirely? Our GM would have to be retarded to use the stretch. A miracle deal of Wiggins or overpaying in assets is the only thing to get Dlo....am I missing something? You asked how one could free up enough money, I answered. You're basically arguing with yourself because nothing you came back with disagreed with any of my statement. All of the options, yours and mine, are not good options merely to get Dlo. Go have some tea, relax.
That isn't what you wrote. But then, ok. "Waving and stretching isn't an option, assuming our GM ist a full blown ***nope***" sort of was your position.

I think trading away assets to clear cap room is more retarded.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm

That isn't what you wrote. But then, ok. "Waving and stretching isn't an option, assuming our GM ist a full blown ***nope***" sort of was your position.

Not when it means dead cap for multiple years. A 2nd is worth maintaining flexibility. I want to use Teauge the other way by taking back a contract to expire with Dieng and getting an asset in return. That is what I would do. Forget Russell.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Not when it means dead cap for multiple years. A 2nd is worth maintaining flexibility. I want to use Teauge the other way by taking back a contract to expire with Dieng and getting an asset in return. That is what I would do. Forget Russell.
WHAT? So you will take back 2020-21 salary BUT it is stupid to carry dead cap by stretching Teague to acquire Russell now?

Good god.

What contract would you take back in a Teague deal? Give some options. I think your idea is fanciful to say the least and Glen Taylor would never spend $8-10 million just to acquire a draft asset. He is a draft asset seller, not buyer.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

WHAT? So you will take back 2020-21 salary BUT it is stupid to carry dead cap by stretching Teague to acquire Russell now?

Good god.

What contract would you take back in a Teague deal? Give some options. I think your idea is fanciful to say the least and Glen Taylor would never spend $8-10 million just to acquire a draft asset. He is a draft asset seller, not buyer.
You don't get an asset for dead cap. This was covered. I won this debate already. I already gave an example...Maybe more. Others did as well.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Teague, Dieng, and 11 for Korver. Memphis gets another lotto pick, which is really what they'd be using that space for.

Waive Korver if necessary
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Good god.

You don't get an asset for dead cap. This was covered. I won this debate already. I already gave an example...Maybe more. Others did as well.
No one says you get an asset for dead cap. But, if you stretch Teague you create cap space you can trade in this market were it is a hot free agent market for assets (I actually gave a concreate and realistic example). Or you combine it with stretching Dieng and create space to sign a free agent like Russell.

If you gave an actual example otehr than Teague and a 2nd to Memphis I have not seen it. I question why give up a 2nd to dump Teague's contract when you can just waive him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Good god.

No one says you get an asset for dead cap. But, if you stretch Teague you create cap space you can trade in this market were it is a hot free agent market for assets (I actually gave a concreate and realistic example). Or you combine it with stretching Dieng and create space to sign a free agent like Russell.

If you gave an actual example otehr than Teague and a 2nd to Memphis I have not seen it. I question why give up a 2nd to dump Teague's contract when you can just waive him.
I will not be punished by your poor "memory". Not only did you see my example you responded to it. As did you respond to others. And I just told you why you trade a second. This was about the same point in your nonsense people turned on you in the other thread. Your stupid idea keeps backing you into the same corner.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 pm

I will not be punished by your poor "memory". Not only did you see my example you responded to it. As did you respond to others. And I just told you why you trade a second. This was about the same point in your nonsense people turned on you in the other thread. Your stupid idea keeps backing you into the same corner.
It isn't a stupid idea and frankly, it is way better than packing Teague off with any asset. Just waive him. That cost you nothing. If you can't bear to waive him (and give him a head start on his next team) just keep him inactive all season. That is better than losing an asset. That is the dumbest idea of all and pointless.

If you find a real opportunity were clearing space is needed, only idiots reject stretching Teague (and Dieng). I personally would do it for Russell although I dont think it is possible to get quite enough. I would waive and stretch Teague if I could arrange a trade like the hypothetical one I mentioned with the Lakers (Wagner, a 2018 first round pick , Bonga, and 2 2nds) because I think taht is as much asset value you can get back and the value of the cap space "lost" in stretching Teague is much less than that. Remember, $19 million is worth a 2nd round draft pick in your opinion. $6.3 million useless to the Wolves Cap Space isn't worht shit.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Lets put it this way.

If Kyrie Irving wanted to come play in Minnesota and we had to stretch Teague and Dieng, would that be "retarded"? If not Irving, put in the free agent of your choice. What about a healthy Kevin Durant. What if a team offered us 2 firsts to take a $10 million in cap space from them?

Using the stretch provision is about evaluating how you are going to use the cap created and the cost of the dead cap you carry forward. It isn't about "stretching" a guy on an expiring.

The reality for the Wolves is that the dead cap has little cost to them. So, if there is a value that can be acquired today, it is the right thing to do.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:18 pm Lets put it this way.

If Kyrie Irving wanted to come play in Minnesota and we had to stretch Teague and Dieng, would that be "retarded"? If not Irving, put in the free agent of your choice. What about a healthy Kevin Durant. What if a team offered us 2 firsts to take a $10 million in cap space from them?

Using the stretch provision is about evaluating how you are going to use the cap created and the cost of the dead cap you carry forward. It isn't about "stretching" a guy on an expiring.

The reality for the Wolves is that the dead cap has little cost to them. So, if there is a value that can be acquired today, it is the right thing to do.
You are not making Your case better. It is a bad idea but not much you can do if the source material is awful.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm

You are not making Your case better. It is a bad idea but not much you can do if the source material is awful.
Please, you are making a fool out of yourself.

If you say you woudl not fucking stretch provision Jeff Teague's deal to sign a healthy Kevin Durant your IQ is lower than just the brain stem and I wonder how you breathe.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 pm

If you say you woudl not fucking stretch provision Jeff Teague's deal to sign a healthy Kevin Durant your IQ is lower than just the brain stem and I wonder how you breathe.
Lol. Nope I wouldn't, because I can trade Teauge for a second sign said player and not have any dead cap when I might want it to add to the team. Any more stupidity?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Lol. Nope I wouldn't, because I can trade Teauge for a second sign said player and not have any dead cap when I might want it to add to the team. Any more stupidity?
And that is your fantasy.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

It is not my fantasy. I don't care if it happens or not, there should be a buyer if they want, the fantasy is thinking stretching him to save a 2nd is a better option.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm
It is not my fantasy. I don't care if it happens or not, there should be a buyer, the fantasy is thinking stretching him to save a 2nd is a better option.
Trading a $19 million contract with just a 2nd and not taking bad money back into next season is not going ot happen. There are ZERO teams that want to pay Jeff Teague that much money. If you want to buy a 2nd round pick, they are almost always available for "cash considerations" that cost much less the $19 million.

Further, if the Wolves were actual players in the offseason free agent markets or the stretch provision dead cap made a real difference in signing additional players, then the calculations are different. The upfront value needs to be more. But, as is obvious, the Wolves having $6.3 million more in payroll cost will really not matter one way or the other. The most likely signing would be a MLE player (who doesn't have many other options).
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:19 pm

It is not my fantasy. I don't care if it happens or not, there should be a buyer, the fantasy is thinking stretching him to save a 2nd is a better option.
Trading a $19 million contract with just a 2nd and not taking bad money back into next season is not going ot happen. There are ZERO teams that want to pay Jeff Teague that much money. If you want to buy a 2nd round pick, they are almost always available for "cash considerations" that cost much less the $19 million.

Further, if the Wolves were actual players in the offseason free agent markets or the stretch provision dead cap made a real difference in signing additional players, then the calculations are different. The upfront value needs to be more. But, as is obvious, the Wolves having $6.3 million more in payroll cost will really not matter one way or the other. The most likely signing would be a MLE player (who doesn't have many other options).
Lol. As was mentioned before there is a salary floor.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

LOL..... thats a winner.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

LOL..... thats a winner.
Sure was thanks for admiting it.