Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
T_J

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 am
T_J wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am I don't see how Kyrie and Jimmy is a good pairing at all. I would doubt either of them are dumb enough not to know that either.

No KD next year (assuming), Kyrie goes to the Lakers now with Lebron. Jimmy stays in Philly. Kawhi runs it back in Toronto unless they choke this series away.
It was rumored last summer they would potentially go to Brooklyn together. They're good buddies from Team USA... I could see it happening.
I thought it also came out they hadn't even hung together in like 2 years.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 am
T_J wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am I don't see how Kyrie and Jimmy is a good pairing at all. I would doubt either of them are dumb enough not to know that either.

No KD next year (assuming), Kyrie goes to the Lakers now with Lebron. Jimmy stays in Philly. Kawhi runs it back in Toronto unless they choke this series away.
It was rumored last summer they would potentially go to Brooklyn together. They're good buddies from Team USA... I could see it happening.
I thought it also came out they hadn't even hung together in like 2 years.
Might be the case, guess I don't recall seeing anything like that. Seems like Butler's close buddies are all from that USA team.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

I see it a little different (however, I’m wearing my Wolves tinted glasses):

NYK - KD & AD
TOR - Kawhi
BRK - Kyrie & Jimmie
CHAR - Kemba

East is strengthened, & LAL/LAC are snubbed...
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm
Pretend you're a Nets fan right now... does signing Kyrie and trading for Covington, Okogie and #11 do a lot for you? Not sure that's exactly star hunting.
No but it does if they get someone else as well such as Butler. That's why I asked if they need to clear Russell's money. So is it even possible to clear enough money to be able to sign him or sign and trade?

I'd do Okogie and 11 for him if it's possible and so would they I bet if they get Irving and someone else.
IDK if I would give up that much for a guy who is going to want to get paid like a all-star.
Maybe I just don't see the value. And I am not a big fan, KAT's friend or not.
Can someone tell me why we need him?
I think he's our best chance to pair Towns with a star that we'll have between now and the foreseeable future.

How else? Middle first round picks? The appeal of the frozen tundra and circus franchise to potential free agents if we even have the space?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Is Deangelo better than Lavine? Just wondering considering contract though Lavine did just come off a knee injury. I'd say Lavine is a better offensive player without looking at the actual stats.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm Is Deangelo better than Lavine? Just wondering considering contract though Lavine did just come off a knee injury. I'd say Lavine is a better offensive player without looking at the actual stats.
Russell is better imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm Is Deangelo better than Lavine? Just wondering considering contract though Lavine did just come off a knee injury. I'd say Lavine is a better offensive player without looking at the actual stats.
Better than Lavine? Honestly probably not but they play two different roles.

Russell can help run an entire offense whereas Lavine is really just a good scorer. Both have flaws but getting a PG that can pass and run an offense and is a decent threat to score would help out a ton.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:56 pm
Better than Lavine? Honestly probably not but they play two different roles.

Russell can help run an entire offense whereas Lavine is really just a good scorer. Both have flaws but getting a PG that can pass and run an offense and is a decent threat to score would help out a ton.
Well said.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 pm

No but it does if they get someone else as well such as Butler. That's why I asked if they need to clear Russell's money. So is it even possible to clear enough money to be able to sign him or sign and trade?

I'd do Okogie and 11 for him if it's possible and so would they I bet if they get Irving and someone else.
IDK if I would give up that much for a guy who is going to want to get paid like a all-star.
Maybe I just don't see the value. And I am not a big fan, KAT's friend or not.
Can someone tell me why we need him?
I think he's our best chance to pair Towns with a star that we'll have between now and the foreseeable future.

How else? Middle first round picks? The appeal of the frozen tundra and circus franchise to potential free agents if we even have the space?
This.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:32 pm
T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
The 2nd sentence in your post is the exact reason why ppl are already worried about towns leaving. When we get to 2022, if we haven’t already proven to be a championship contender by then it’ll be too late to convince him to stay. As the roster is currently constructed do you’ve think we can become a contender by then? Not a chance in hell. It’s a very real concern as it’s going to be hard to acquire quality talent with wiggins contract taking up a lot of our cap space outside of getting lucky in the draft.
Contender?!?

Hell, I don't think this team makes the playoffs by 2022 if there isn't some unprecedented move made.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What exactly is his worth in this type of market? A LaVine deal?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 pm What exactly is his worth in this type of market? A LaVine deal?
At the very least. Wouldn't be surprised if he is maxed.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 pm What exactly is his worth in this type of market? A LaVine deal?
These Max deals are stupid. Players who don't deserve them are getting them. The disparity between the max contracts and the rest of the league is getting ludicrous.

He is not, in my book, a max players. A LaVine deal should be the amount.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm
These Max deals are stupid. Players who don't deserve them are getting them. The disparity between the max contracts and the rest of the league is getting ludicrous.

He is not, in my book, a max players. A LaVine deal should be the amount.
That's the owners/FO's fault though.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

They need to just get rid of max players contracts but still keep the team cap. Then the very best players could decide if they want to be greedy or do they want to win. Then I "think" you'd see a better spread of players on each team instead of them joining forces. If guys did take pay cuts to join forces, so be it. Not a perfect solution but I would think it would be better overall.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 am They need to just get rid of max players contracts but still keep the team cap. Then the very best players could decide if they want to be greedy or do they want to win. Then I "think" you'd see a better spread of players on each team instead of them joining forces. If guys did take pay cuts to join forces, so be it. Not a perfect solution but I would think it would be better overall.
They'll never do it because they make so much money from the teams via the luxury tax but I like the NFL/NHL's approach and hard capping teams. That in itself forces teams to make some tough decisions and would balance things out a lot more.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 am They need to just get rid of max players contracts but still keep the team cap. Then the very best players could decide if they want to be greedy or do they want to win. Then I "think" you'd see a better spread of players on each team instead of them joining forces. If guys did take pay cuts to join forces, so be it. Not a perfect solution but I would think it would be better overall.
I do like the idea, and wonder how it would play out.

Durant gets 60$mil, 50$mil to spread around the rest of the 14 players... How would that effect chemistry?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Stupid to complain about salaries, players deserve what they can get. On any given night a torn Achilles, busted ankle, ripped up knee and they are done for.

We got Jimmy, Teague and Taj for all of the ridiculous financial flexibility this Team had in cheap talent, lottery picks and young players other teams wanted badly. Now we have Teague and Taj, we got one playoff series out of it. It was a terrible gamble made by a complete fuckhead (who is also gone as well), we took our chance it was fun for a season. Now to sit a bitch about being stuck is stupid, that’s what happens when you let a coach also pretend to be a GM.....the Wolves got Tibbed!

We gambled as lost.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm Stupid to complain about salaries, players deserve what they can get. On any given night a torn Achilles, busted ankle, ripped up knee and they are done for.

We got Jimmy, Teague and Taj for all of the ridiculous financial flexibility this Team had in cheap talent, lottery picks and young players other teams wanted badly. Now we have Teague and Taj, we got one playoff series out of it. It was a terrible gamble made by a complete fuckhead (who is also gone as well), we took our chance it was fun for a season. Now to sit a bitch about being stuck is stupid, that’s what happens when you let a coach also pretend to be a GM.....the Wolves got Tibbed!

We gambled as lost.
We still wouldn't have a playoff appearance with Done and Lolvine.

We would be stuck with another shit contract in Lolvine like Wiggins also.

Thibs era was a bust but it would of still been a bust without the trade.

The true BUST was the trade of Butler for RoCo and Saric. That should have never been allowed to happen.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm Stupid to complain about salaries, players deserve what they can get. On any given night a torn Achilles, busted ankle, ripped up knee and they are done for.

We gambled as lost.
Isn't it time to start bitching about the next regime by now you one note fucking dumbshit?
T_J

Post by T_J »

Kyrie signs with a new agent, ROC Nation.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

T_J wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm

We gambled as lost.
Isn't it time to start bitching about the next regime by now you one note fucking dumbshit?
:lol: :clap:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

We gambled as lost.

The true BUST was the trade of Butler for RoCo and Saric. That should have never been allowed to happen.
So you think a competent GM picks Dunn over the other two studs. Thibbs took Dunn to get Butler knowing Chicago wanted him. Then he got another lottery pick that he gave away and then traded Rubio and LaVine and Dunn..

Any other other legit GM comes away better than 1 season of Butler, an overpriced Teague, an overpriced Taj and an overpriced Dieng with all of that. Any other GM would have likely used the flexibility more wisely.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

We gambled as lost.

So you think a competent GM picks Dunn over the other two studs. Thibbs took Dunn to get Butler knowing Chicago wanted him. Then he got another lottery pick that he gave away and then traded Rubio and LaVine and Dunn..

Any other other legit GM comes away better than 1 season of Butler, an overpriced Teague, an overpriced Taj and an overpriced Dieng with all of that. Any other GM would have likely used the flexibility more wisely.
I have no problem with acquiring Butler. This team never gets a player of that caliber.

Butler had more value than the two turds they traded for him but completely squandered that deal. Why Thibs was allowed to make that trade is unknown to me.

It's one of the worst trades I have ever seen for a top 15-20 player.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

We gambled as lost.
Let’s pretend it didn’t happen and bitch about how messed up the Wolves now are. Poor Thibblodytes need to understand why the Timberwolves are where they are at. The Cult Of Thibbs!!

:roll:

#bamboozled#
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

T_J wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm Kyrie signs with a new agent, ROC Nation.
Not a done deal by any stretch but if there was ever a clear signal...

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Kyrie to Brooklyn. I think that helps the odds of Russell being available. A Kyrie/Wiggins duo sounds deadly for Brooklyn! lulz
Let's get Tropical
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Let’s pretend it didn’t happen and bitch about how messed up the Wolves now are. Poor Thibblodytes need to understand why the Timberwolves are where they are at. The Cult Of Thibbs!!

:roll:

#bamboozled#
:lol: Come on Joda, you need to forget Thibbs ever happened.
witljon

Post by witljon »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am
I believe its a very good chance Kyrie ends up on the Nets.
In other words, they're the favorite to land him.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am
I believe its a very good chance Kyrie ends up on the Nets.
In other words, they're the favorite to land him.
The Nets will go after Butler as well once they have Kyrie lined up.