Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
T_J

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by T_J »

Based on the online slap fight you two seem to love having, I'll say TT.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:27 pm Loved this dude in college.

And then I lost rooting interest when that shit with the social media thing and Nick Young happened.

Gotta be honest, I’d be excited if we figured out a way to get him.

I’m out if it means giving up on Okoge though.
I doubt a single gm wouldn't pull the trigger on Russell if it took Okogie to get him. That's a no brainier.

I like Okogie but come on.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 am Who said this in regards to what we could get for Karl-Anthony Towns in a trade?
D’Angelo Russell if we’re lucky.

Up to 30% usage this year and all of his shooting numbers continue to rise.

Wings are still the Queens of the basketball chess board.
Ooooffff, don't be a bully HHM. ;)

That's one take where you can't go back on. KAT for Russell? :lol: :lol: :lol:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:53 am

And then I lost rooting interest when that shit with the social media thing and Nick Young happened.

I doubt a single gm wouldn't pull the trigger on Russell if it took Okogie to get him. That's a no brainier.

I think people assume it would cost our pick plus Oki.....which does seem like too much.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:01 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 am Who said this in regards to what we could get for Karl-Anthony Towns in a trade?

It was a trade value thread not a trade suggestion thread. Google it. HHM did but he’s gotta bully, not be honest. Poor guy. He’s officially desperate.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Just trying to figure out if Double T wants Russell or not but yeah, it was a trade value thread for Towns. Found it interesting, that's all. He will accuse me of bullying of course. Nevermind him following my posts in the mock draft thread. :thinking: :lol: :D :beer:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I think you ha e to think about it in the context of we’ve hitched our wagon (whether we like it or not) to Towns and Wiggins, so we have to make sure our eventual #3 that will be commanding potentially another $20-$25M of our cap, compliments those guys in a way that can make us become an eventual championship contender.

There’s a lot to be worried about if Russell is that 3rd guy, because he seems to be in the same mold that drives us crazy already about Wigs/Towns. Okogie at least has the makeup of a guy that could be an elite role player on s title team, so is getting rid of him and really hampering our long term flexibility worth it to be bring in Russell?

It would be a good trade for some teams, but I don’t like it for us.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:27 am

It was a trade value thread not a trade suggestion thread. Google it. HHM did but he’s gotta bully, not be honest. Poor guy. He’s officially desperate.
So Russell's trade value is higher than KAT?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 am
thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:27 am

So Russell's trade value is higher than KAT?
No.

(We didn’t talk Russell’s trade value, FYI.)
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:51 am

I think you ha e to think about it in the context of we’ve hitched our wagon (whether we like it or not) to Towns and Wiggins, so we have to make sure our eventual #3 that will be commanding potentially another $20-$25M of our cap, compliments those guys in a way that can make us become an eventual championship contender.

There’s a lot to be worried about if Russell is that 3rd guy, because he seems to be in the same mold that drives us crazy already about Wigs/Towns. Okogie at least has the makeup of a guy that could be an elite role player on s title team, so is getting rid of him and really hampering our long term flexibility worth it to be bring in Russell?

Hogwash. This team has one established star player and needs at least one more to not only compete, but also to keep Towns.

You have to have those star players before you even think about seasoning your main dish with role players. Of anybody that will be realistically available to us in FA and the draft, Russell is by far the most likely to be a franchise pillar even if the chances of that aren't that high. You have to take that risk and Okogie should be an after thought trying to acquire him.

Cov, Okogie and 11. I'd give up any two of those three plus anything else they would want outside of Towns obviously.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Hop on the trade machine. Salaries would have to match. We’d have to send out quite a bit of salary.

Not sure this deal is possible because I’d rather keep Covington. Maybe that’s homerism. Cov played great for us when he played.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 am Hop on the trade machine. Salaries would have to match. We’d have to send out quite a bit of salary.

Not sure this deal is possible because I’d rather keep Covington. Maybe that’s homerism. Cov played great for us when he played.
Cov is our Leonard without the offense. Game changer.

Buddy got a severe bone bruise when we went skiing this year, he doesn't make fun of them any longer. Bob gets a pass.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:18 am

Hogwash. This team has one established star player and needs at least one more to not only compete, but also to keep Towns.

You have to have those star players before you even think about seasoning your main dish with role players. Of anybody that will be realistically available to us in FA and the draft, Russell is by far the most likely to be a franchise pillar even if the chances of that aren't that high. You have to take that risk and Okogie should be an after thought trying to acquire him.

Cov, Okogie and 11. I'd give up any two of those three plus anything else they would want outside of Towns obviously.
But here's the rub, having Russell, Wiggins and Towns all taking up the vast majority of the cap space alone would heavily restrict this teams ability to put effective role players around them.

I'm all for trying to find a way to trade for Russell but giving up two of Roco, Okogie and our 1st without shedding long term salary on this team is also a death sentence.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 am
thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 am Hop on the trade machine. Salaries would have to match. We’d have to send out quite a bit of salary.

Buddy got a severe bone bruise when we went skiing this year, he doesn't make fun of them any longer. Bob gets a pass.
I desperately don't want to trade him or Okogie. Depending on Okogie's growth that tandem could realistically be the league's best wing defense.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:37 am

I desperately don't want to trade him or Okogie. Depending on Okogie's growth that tandem could realistically be the league's best wing defense.
I just want to see our full healthy 7 man arsenal. Not saying the below if any sort of contender but I just want competent basketball to start then build, build, build.

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Okogie
Cov/Okogie
Saric/TBD
Towns/TBD
T_J

Post by T_J »

Rosas going after Russell is like a poor man's version of Houston trading for Harden. Both lefty's, it makes sense.

All we gotta do is offer something similar to this.

Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, two first round picks.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:34 am

But here's the rub, having Russell, Wiggins and Towns all taking up the vast majority of the cap space alone would heavily restrict this teams ability to put effective role players around them.

I'm all for trying to find a way to trade for Russell but giving up two of Roco, Okogie and our 1st without shedding long term salary on this team is also a death sentence.
Perhaps, but which is the better death sentence? Having Towns with nothing but role players around him or giving up role players for a potential side kick?

We aren't going to be able to pair Towns with another star unless we strike gold in the middle of the draft or if he goes down for a whole year and we tank. Russell is our best chance.

You really can't take Wig's dsal into consideration. Either work around it or find a way to get rid of it. Can't balk at Russell or anyone else because of Wig.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I guess I just disagree that he’s that type of star.
I agree with your pretense that you need multiple big name players to be a true contender, but it’s equally as bad to tie your wagon to the wrong high paid guys.

I think Russell is the wrong high paid guy for us.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

I love Cov, but he's a guy you top off your roster with. At the absolute best he's the third best player on a title contender if the #1 and 2 are both HOFers. He's probably fourth or fifth on most contenders.

We desperately need our #2 guy. You absolutely give up Cov to o get him. Idk if Russell is that guy, but, again, he's the most likely out of anybody available to us.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am

I guess I just disagree that he’s that type of star.
I agree with your pretense that you need multiple big name players to be a true contender, but it’s equally as bad to tie your wagon to the wrong high paid guys.

I think Russell is the wrong high paid guy for us.
Fair enough, and I don't know if he's that guy either, but I think he's more likely to be than Okogie and pretty much anybody that will be available to o us in the next four years or so barring anything unforeseen like some lottery luck.

Do you agree with that?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 am

I just want to see our full healthy 7 man arsenal. Not saying the below if any sort of contender but I just want competent basketball to start then build, build, build.

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Okogie
Cov/Okogie
Saric/TBD
Towns/TBD
"Competent basketball" isn't going to keep a star player in freezing ass Minnesota.

You have to take big risks, roll the dice and go for it. Towns will bounce on that squad as soon as he possibly can.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Okogie
Cov/Okogie
Saric/TBD
Towns/TBD
"Competent basketball" isn't going to keep a star player in freezing ass Minnesota.

You have to take big risks, roll the dice and go for it. Towns will bounce on that squad as soon as he possibly can.
He's just starting a 5 year deal, we have 3 years. Not against Russell, just saying we have no idea how far along this team is currently. When Bob was healthy, our defensive rating jumped and we had about 10 games there when we were playing really well.

Why do people on this board continue to think you go from lottery to championship contender without building something. "Just acquire guys so we can go from 30 wins to winning a championship!"

Those same people think playoff experience means nothing. "Rather be in the lottery than get into the playoffs."
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Okogie
Cov/Okogie
Saric/TBD
Towns/TBD

He's just starting a 5 year deal, we have 3 years. Not against Russell, just saying we have no idea how far along this team is currently. When Bob was healthy, our defensive rating jumped and we had about 10 games there when we were playing really well.
Bob is great, maybe the best role player in the league as long as you have your two or three studs. If Bob is required to attain said stud you do if MN a heartbeat.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
T_J

Post by T_J »

Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Okogie
Cov/Okogie
Saric/TBD
Towns/TBD

Why do people on this board continue to think you go from lottery to championship contender without building something. "Just acquire guys so we can go from 30 wins to winning a championship!"

Those same people think playoff experience means nothing. "Rather be in the lottery than get into the playoffs."
Unfortunately we had that with Butler and it blew up. Fortunately we got a guy like RoCo in the deal that makes everyone better. That's what rubes seem to miss. Everyone wants another superstar and then another. A guy that is good and makes everyone better is as good or better than a star who doesn't make others better.

It's one thing I love about Speilman and Zimm. They take guys who play hard and smart and fit the scheme above all else. Then they develop them. So often the Wolves have had no other plan than take the highest rated guy and it has backfired on us over and over.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
The only way he leaves before is if we straight up hit the lotto and get KG the 2nd who brings exactly the same at the same spot for 1/10th the money. Better odds we win 3 titles by then.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

D Lo or bust!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm D Lo or bust!!
DLo and bust. It' s the Wolves way.
My heart is family.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Catalyst wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:53 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm D Lo or bust!!
DLo and bust. It' s the Wolves way.
Well at least it would be interesting. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

T_J wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm Talking about Towns leaving is idiotic. Get back to me in like December 2022 at the earliest.
And some guys want to trade him...absolutely. :lol: