Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Hoop Dreams »

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... rie-Irving
D'Angelo Russell is "highly unlikely" to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets if the Nets sign Kyrie Irving, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

Begley adds that the Nets informed Russell of that plan in recent days.

Russell is currently a restricted free agent, though the Nets project to have as much as $66 million in cap space if they renounce all of their free agents.

Begley also confirms The Athletic's report that the Pacers are targeting Russell this offseason.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 am https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... rie-Irving
D'Angelo Russell is "highly unlikely" to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets if the Nets sign Kyrie Irving, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.

Russell is currently a restricted free agent, though the Nets project to have as much as $66 million in cap space if they renounce all of their free agents.

Begley also confirms The Athletic's report that the Pacers are targeting Russell this offseason.
The Nets aren’t going to keep him unless they can’t add other big talent to play with Kyrie - then they would have to try a Portland type style with those two playing together. Russell would probably hate playing next to a dominant PG like Kyrie.

There will be teams in such better shape financially and asset-wise to get Russell than the Wolves - there are many teams who probably haven’t been discussed watching his situation. I would love for the Wolves to get this guy, but our assets, cap and draft situation all suck thanks to being squandered by the previous regime.

The situation that might be getting better for the Wolves is the rise of other players in the draft and the Wolves seeming interest/belief about moving up in this draft.

I love that Sudoku ( ;) ) kid, but he is skyrocketing and I think the Wolves won’t have a chance for him even with moving up - the guy should go 3 or 4 with his talent and athleticism. I think that means if the Wolves get to #6 somehow - there will be one of the PG’s for them to Draft......which now has me very interested and excited about the draft.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I'd be more inclined to go after Spencer Dinwiddie for bang for my buck if I want to pluck a guard from Brooklyn.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 am https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... rie-Irving

Wolves gotta clear some space.... I think they'd have as good as a shot as anybody if they have space.

Give up the assets to clear room to sign Russell then start planting seeds to get Booker.

Russell/Booker/Covington/???/Towns
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Style

Post by Style »

There was a Wolves twitter post yesterday or today that showed KAT in the gym after a flight from China or something. Guess who liked it? That's right... D-LO bayyybeeeee.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Wolves gotta clear some space.... I think they'd have as good as a shot as anybody if they have space.

Give up the assets to clear room to sign Russell then start planting seeds to get Booker.

Russell/Booker/Covington/???/Towns
The funny thing is, every time I see the name Russell, I think Westbrook. It's like he has the only right to be called by his first name.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Style wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:41 pm There was a Wolves twitter post yesterday or today that showed KAT in the gym after a flight from China or something. Guess who liked it? That's right... D-LO bayyybeeeee.
He also recently commented on a Keita Bates-Diop post.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 am
I'm starting to get a feeling here. Rosas keeps saying how much he thinks this isn't the best draft etc..

Sign and trade in play?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

What where they doing? Eating crackers and cheese? If it's pepperjack then we know that Russell is going to force his way here but if it's muenster then we know he isn't coming here.

WHat about paninis or coffee?

Mr. Frikk09 needs to have the answers to these
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Even if the Wolves don’t get Russell, I can say I like KAT’s recruiting efforts far more than I like Butler’s recruiting efforts for us last summer. ;)

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 am
What where they doing? Eating crackers and cheese? If it's pepperjack then we know that Russell is going to force his way here but if it's muenster then we know he isn't coming here.

WHat about paninis or coffee?

Mr. Frikk09 needs to have the answers to these
Probably playing video games thos effing kids!!! :doublefinger:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

If this is what KAT wants, I go for it. Get it done.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 am If this is what KAT wants, I go for it. Get it done.
Firstly, I'm glad they found you after being missing for so long.

Now, how do you propose we get Russell? Give up #11? Okogie? Not sure what we have to get it done.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I think it's going to happen. Can't wait to be disappointed
Style

Post by Style »

Just for the sake of discussion, would it be possible to trade #11 + Dieng for cap space and then stretch Teague to create enough room for D-Lo?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:57 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 am If this is what KAT wants, I go for it. Get it done.

Now, how do you propose we get Russell? Give up #11? Okogie? Not sure what we have to get it done.
You would have to package away Wiggins or with our 1st to a team that can absorb him. I don't think Dieng is enough cash to clear, perhaps Teague....but you have to give away assets to have a team take on salary for fun. The Kings have money to simply piss away, maybe they'd like Teague as a backup with the 11th pick....that would most likely clear enough room for Dlo. The Heat have been rumored to like Wiggins, but they can't offer any cap help at all....and unless Brooklyn strikes out and somehow wanted Wiggins, a S&T is out of the question.

Teague+Saric+1st for Sac multiple 2nd rounders. Literally the only way I think we could clear room without losing out two cheap young kids. I guess in a weird world I could see Sac maybe liking Wiggins considering no one ever wants to go there?
Style

Post by Style »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:19 am

You would have to package away Wiggins or with our 1st to a team that can absorb him. I don't think Dieng is enough cash to clear, perhaps Teague....but you have to give away assets to have a team take on salary for fun. The Kings have money to simply piss away, maybe they'd like Teague as a backup with the 11th pick....that would most likely clear enough room for Dlo. The Heat have been rumored to like Wiggins, but they can't offer any cap help at all....and unless Brooklyn strikes out and somehow wanted Wiggins, a S&T is out of the question.

Teague+Saric+1st for Sac multiple 2nd rounders. Literally the only way I think we could clear room without losing out two cheap young kids. I guess in a weird world I could see Sac maybe liking Wiggins considering no one ever wants to go there?
This is what I was asking about in my post above. Whether it's attaching #11 to Gorgui or Teague and then possibly stretching the other, could enough space be created to outright sign Russell? If so, it'd be a no brainer to go that route. Free bad contracts and then #11 is essentially traded for Russell.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Well Dlo is not taking less than what, 24 million? Teague or Dieng don't get us to that number, and Dieng isn't an expiring so it's less incentive to add him. I think you have to add Saric to the the deal with Teague, plus the pick to get him....and that would be assuming a team like Chicago or Sac would want to eat some cash for the 11th and maybe a future PF (mind you, if Saric leaves we don't have one.) I didn't like Dlo coming out, and I thought for sure bust in LA....but he's put in work and he's legit. I do, however, question his health, specifically his knees (on top of his stupidity bringing weed to an airport). Dlo is better than Teague, Saric, and probably whoever we pick at all. But that's also losing a lot of depth on a team that has several holes. We have no starting PF next year, Dlo or Teague, we only have Tyus....and that 11th pick could end up being a badly needed shooter, a future starting PF....who knows. It's a high price to pay and we'd have to have a team that wants that package. I don't think it happens and I'm on the fence on if I even want it to.

This is Teague's final year, it's literally his last chance to secure his last multi year deal.....it will be his official last decent payday. I would lean towards keeping him and making him earn his last deal. Not with us, but how well he does this year will impact his last stage of his career.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

If you're willing to move any asset (Saric, Okogie, #11, future picks), I think you can move off Dieng and Teague for sure. Wiggins then would be on trade watch I'm assuming to do something like Miami's deal where you get shorter contracts but they'd only have two years. If you're fully committed to KAT, I feel like the best thing to do is outline a plan to get Russell now, Booker in 2-3 years when Phoenix still ain't winning. Then you surround those guys with physical tough defenders.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

I still dont know a plausible scenario how the Wolves could pull this off.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am I still dont know a plausible scenario how the Wolves could pull this off.
That's because it requires lots of dominos....

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
3) Brooklyn signs Kyrie and someone else so they have to denounce Russell's rights
4) Russell picks MN over Utah, Indiana and everyone else that wants him.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Teague to LA if they had capspace would basically be perfect.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am
jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am I still dont know a plausible scenario how the Wolves could pull this off.

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
3) Brooklyn signs Kyrie and someone else so they have to denounce Russell's rights
Or Dump Wiggins. It is unlikely. I think Teauge could be dumped for a 2nd, I don't think that is a hard one relatively speaking. Dieng with 2 years would cost a 1st (lottery protected for a while), something we shouldn't consider. Wiggins is harder to gauge and most likely all we could do is shorten his money, maybe shave a couple of million this year. I don't think some team will out and out absorb him without us giving up more value than it is worth.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:54 am

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
Or Dump Wiggins. It is unlikely. I think Teauge could be dumped for a 2nd, I don't think that is a hard one relatively speaking. Dieng with 2 years would cost a 1st (lottery protected for a while), something we shouldn't consider. Wiggins is harder to gauge and most likely all we could do is shorten his money, maybe shave a couple of million this year. I don't think some team will out and out absorb him without us giving up more value than it is worth.
Yeah, I don't think a team will absorb him either but yeah that could be the route too.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
I honestly think 3 and 4 are pretty safe bets
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
I agree on that... but it's on Rosas and buddies to get 1 and 2 done... or Wiggins. :punch:
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

If Russell is signed sealed and delivered
2 this year and Teague for top 56 protected 2nd in 2024
2020 lotto protected first(lotto in 2021, lotto in 2022, 2nd in 2023) Dieng
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Maybe flip Wiggins for a Miami big and a wing
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am

1) dump Teague
2) dump Dieng
There just isn't enough cap room even with those moves. The only possibility is a sign and trade involving Wiggins. That blocks Brooklyn from going after a 2nd max free agent.